My opinion of Star Fox 2 thus far

Posted by Foxy McCloud

I've just finished playing through it on normal difficulty. I can hardly believe how much an improvement this game is over the original! I found it rather difficult at first, but once I started paying attention to the radar and the "Target" arrows and got used to locking on enemies it became a blast to play. Those that are familiar with "All range mode" from Star Fox 64 will be right at home here. You can fly wherever you want whenever you want and you have unlimited boost as well. The charging laser is also a very nice touch. You can charge it up, lock on to an enemy and fire away just like in 64. Those that have played the original know just how difficult it is without it.

Also, your Ar-Wing can transform at will to a walker drone that you can use in any ground based area. I found that it's usualy possible to get through just about anything with the Ar-Wing if you know the level well enough, but the walker sure is easier in certain instances. I found it's animation looked rather clumsy, but I got used to it after a while. From what I understand the same thing was going to happen in 64 but they decided to go with a stand alone tank instead of a transformation mode for the ship. All and all I guess I'd take the tank over the walker although it is still fun and it's great to try something different.

You may also notice that the map is completely different from any other starfox game. When you select a level on the map your ship icon flies to it. However, enemies can pursue you and if your paths meet the screen will change to the same gameplay we all know from the first star fox. I found at later levels members of Star Wolf start going after you! They all have different ship designs, but when Wolf himself goes after you late in the game I noticed he's using the Wolfen-2 used only at the end of the hard path in Star Fox 64. It's amazing how many subtle things from 2 made it into Star Fox 64.

At first I thought it was rather short, but was very surprised when I played it on the second difficulty level to find far more planets and bases to save. I looked at the map on "Expert" and there were even more levels! I also noticed that the structure of some of the levels changed on higher difficulties. It really adds replay and some real incentive to play on higher difficulty levels. The game looks and feels so complete that I really have to wonder why Nintendo didn't ever release it commercialy. In my hours of play I have had no glitches and the game has run perfectly. I had a hard time getting it to work on Snes9x version 1.42 and found it almost unplayable with a "flicker" look. But I upgraded to version 1.43 just recently and it handles like a dream. I also found a patch that translates all the Japanese to English so now I know what the hell everyone is saying for once too. Star Fox 2 is a real treat and I highly suggest you give it a try if you like the original or Star Fox 64.

Posted by Takuya Kanabara

Nintendo finally makes a glitch free game. That's hard to believe.

I played Star Fox 64 but not Star Fox for SNES. I'm looking forward to playing Star Fox2 very soon.

Posted by Foxy McCloud

Here are some more pics I took of the gameplay.

Posted by Last Fog

Wha??? Starfox 2? Never knew it existed.

Posted by Foxy McCloud

It was never commercialy released on the Super Nintendo. It only became available within the past couple of years online when someone in Nintendo leaked it. However, it was not until 2004 until emulators became capable of running a game like Star Fox 2 smoothly. The problem has always been emulating the FX2 chip.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Foxy McCloud: It was never commercialy released on the Super Nintendo. It only became available within the past couple of years online when someone in Nintendo leaked it. However, it was not until 2004 until emulators became capable of running a game like Star Fox 2 smoothly. The problem has always been emulating the FX2 chip.

Hmm... I always thought that this game was canned durring production, I never knew that it was actually finished. I guess it's kinda like the Mother on NES scenario.

Anyhow it looks pretty cool. What is the story line?

Posted by Poco

Why don't you get the translation patch? It's been avaliable for months now.

Posted by Foxy McCloud

I have it, but I'm not sure how to apply it given that I'm using a Mac. The only patch attacher I'm aware of for Snes9x is for the PC. I'd probably understand much more of the story if I got it to work. :)

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Foxy McCloud: I have it, but I'm not sure how to apply it given that I'm using a Mac. The only patch attacher I'm aware of for Snes9x is for the PC. I'd probably understand much more of the story if I got it to work. :)

Wait, usually when dealing with patches, don't you usually put the patch in the folder?

Posted by bazariah

i remember playing a beta version of it at a show back in 95 i think it was..

it's a crying shame that it never got released as i would've bought it straight out.. the only reason it never got a release was because of them dropping it in favour of lylat wars/ starfox 64 allthough i cant see why both games couldnt have come out

Posted by Drewboy64

WAIT, how do you get this game?? I thought it was canceled! I remember talking about how mad I felt because they canceled this; i really wanted to turn into a mech.

Posted by Arczu

I didn't know this game was finished either. I heard about it, but man... I had no idea what it looked like.

Posted by Zeta

Who's the poodle in the last screen?

Posted by Creedence

For all the people asking you must get a snes emulator on your computer such as Zsnes and then download it. I played this game and it was awesome. Another game I recomend is Earthbound.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Zeta: Who's the poodle in the last screen?

Her name is Fay.

Posted by Proto Man

Could someone PM me a link to this game and the patch? Thanks.

Also, this is from an [URL="http://ds.ign.com/articles/731/731088p2.html"]IGN interview[/URL] about Starfox Command:

Quoted post: IGN: Do you think we might actually see the original Star Fox 2 on the Virtual Console or the DS itself?

Imamura: Heh… probably not.

Cuthbert: It'd be great if that could happen, but we took the old ideas and made them so much better with Star Fox Command. For the history it'd be great if it did make an appearance.

IGN: It'd be great for Star Fox fans to see where the game was going to go had the system not moved on to the N64.

Cuthbert: Star Fox 2 has its own charm, and it's not the same game. They have the walker, the robot R-Wing. There are a lot of Mario 64-like gameplay elements in there.

I say we petition Nintendo!

Posted by Proto Man

Sorry for the double post, but I just got this game, and the frame rate issue (I think that's the problem) is bugging the heck out of me. It's Seizure city! How can I get the darn thing to quite blinking in the main game?

Anyways, Home of the Underdogs has this game with NOT ONLY the translation patch, but also a patch that pretty much makes this game as finished as it's going to be without Nintendo releasing the game themselves. The patch cleans up the de-bug stuff, and other unplayable things.