Registered but not registered with windows XP? help please.

Posted by Sk2k52

Just today I can no longer access my computer due to a strange problem. When I turned my computer on I got a message that I cant use windows until I register, and when I click to register, It says I'm already registered and logs me back off. When I try to relog back on, it again says I'm not registered and when I try to register, it says I am and logs me back off.

Help? ._.

Posted by Trigger

First of all, this should be located in the [URL="http://www.vgchat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44"]technology and computing [/URL]board.

Secondly, registration is optional however activation is mandatory. If you aren't certain if your copy of Windows XP thinks it is activated, you can check by opening 'run' in the start menu and typing
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a. If Windows XP has been successfully activated, your system will tell you with that command.

If you find that the Windows Product Activation declares that it is not activated, you can open the registry editor by typing regedit in run, found in the start menu and then browse the registry and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents. In the main window, there should be an object called OOBETimer; right-click and select 'Modify' and change any one digit of this value, which will ensure Windows is de-activated, click OK and then close Registry Editor.

Open the run command again, and enter in the line from earlier, which checks the activation state of Windows XP. Click "Yes, I want to telephone a Customer Service Representative to activate Windows" and then click Next. This process does not actually require you to call them, so please don't waste your money in doing so. On the next screen, there should be the option at the bottom to change your product key; enter your valid product key (which is supplied with your Windows XP CD and is also known as the 'licence key'. Once you have entered in your product key, press Update and close the window.

If you are returned to the previous window, choose the option to remind you later, and then restart your machine to verify the changes have occured. Once you've restarted, use the run command again and type the same line as mentioned in the beginning of this post. If Windows XP has been successfully activated, the message should say "Windows XP has already been activated."

De-activation usually happens when major hardware changes have occured in the system, which will require users to re-activate their copy of Windows XP. If the problems exist and you feel comfortable with attempting a re-format, give it a try. Otherwise, you may have to speak with Microsoft about the issue. You can read more about the other ways to activate Windows XP on [URL="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us"]this[/URL] Microsoft help and support article.

Posted by gamerz

You may have a nulled/hacked/illegal version of windows xp installed.