Oscars!

Posted by Dexter

*oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar*

There was a previous thread about this but it has been eradicated from the forums, so I am going to make a new one so we can all vote for what we think should/will/want to win and see if it happens. The oscars will be on this Sunday but I am not sure about the time, probably 7 or 8, depending on where you live and all. I have not seen many of the films but I will give some thoughts on a few.

Best Picture
The aviator
Finding Neverland
Million Dollar Baby
Ray
Sideways

I think Million Dollar Baby is going to win and it is also the one I would want to win off this list, although Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind would be my ideal choice for this year. It is a shame that it wasn’t even nominated. At least it will (or should) win for writing (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY). Out of these films, I have seen The Aviator, Million Dollar Baby, and Ray.

Directing
The Aviator (Martin Scorsese)
Million Dollar Baby (Clint Eastwood)
Ray (Taylor Hackford)
Sideways (Alexander Payne)
Vera Drake (Mike Leigh)

I think Martin Scorsese will get this one, although I like Clint's low budget aura, especially as of lately (Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby were great!) Michael should have at least been nominated for his wonderful work on Collateral.

Cinematography
The Aviator (Robert Richardson)
House of Flying Daggers (Zhao Xiaoding)
The Passion of Christ (Caleb Deschanel)
The Phantom of the Opera (John Mathieson)
A Very Long Engagement (Bruno Delbonnel)

Collateral should have been on this list too. I am sort of amazed that 4 out of 5 of these nominees feature heavy DI's. Man on Fire should definitely get recognition.

Actor in a Leading Role
Don Cheadle – Hotel Rwanda
Johnny Depp – Finding Neverland
Leonardo DiCaprio – The Aviator
Clint Eastwood – Million Dollar Baby
Jamie Foxx – Ray

I think Foxx has it, although I'm not sure if he deserves it. Leonardo DiCaprio did a spectacular job and has been around and done more than Foxx has.

Actress in a Leading Role
Annette Bening - Being Julia
Catalina Sandino Moreno – Maria Full of Grace
Imelda Staunton – Vera Drake
Hilary Swank – Million Dollar Baby
Kate Winslet – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Annette Bening has this one, for sure. She lost to Hilary Swank (Boys Don't Cry) back in '99 for her performance in American Beauty. This year she will get her revenge!

Cate Blanchett will get actress in a supporting role, by the way.

Costume Design!!!!
The Aviator
Finding Neverland
Lemony Snicket's: A Series of Unfortunate Events
Ray
Troy

I could easily go off on this one, since costumes have become somewhat my forte, but I'll make it short. Troy was terrible in the costume department and doesn't deserve the nomination. I never saw Finding Neverland so I'll go for A Series of Unfortunate Events on this one. Hollywood needs me.

And of course there are plenty of other things going on, such as visual effects, editing, sound, music, makeup and animated. You guys can comment on whatever you are interested in, though.

*oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar* *oscar*

Posted by Mixhael

Well, Chris Rock is hosting. There's been so much hooplah about him as opposed to the actual show that it's ridiculous. ABC might regret inviting the name Chris Rock to host, not the person. Hopefully he can still be edgy without too many limitations, and honestly, he'll be the only reason why I watch this Sunday. I don't think I've ever watched the entire Oscars straight through, but this time I'll be checking in more often than usual to see what's going on.

I just hate it that there's so much controversy over his recent statements; "...what straight black man sits there and watches the Oscars?". It's sad that he had to go on Leno and jokingly defend his comments; "I did not say that. I said only gay people watch the Tonys.". I guess people forget he's a comedian and that comedian's make jokes, realistic jokes at that.

I've watched this guy dozens of times on SNL, seen him on In Living Color, and have a few of his comedy acts from the late 90s on mp3. Chris Rock's movies may be total bombs at the box office, but he's undoubtedly talented at stand-up. If you're not a believer, you need to watch some episodes of The Chris Rock show that are all over Kazaa or listen to a stand-up of his. He doesn't aim to please everyone, and that's what makes any comedian great. He gets non-blacks to laugh at all his black people vs. niggas references and a number of other things associated with his blue language; "Wanna hide money from niggas- Hide it in your books. You know why? 'Cause niggas hate to read".

I've already gotten a taste of some Spoiler jokes ready to go for the evening, courtesy of the LA Weekly, so close your eyes if you don't wanna know: (SPOILERS)

Posted by Dexter

Funnily enough, I had no idea who was hosting it. I think it is amusing that Chris is hosting it, since he really does make me giggle. I have some of his earlier material and it really gets a good laugh out of me, and his acting is so amusing, especially in Dogma. I wouldn't expect them to have him as the host, but that is probably because there is nothing too exciting happening this year. There is no huge film up for Best Picture this year. Titanic was the biggest year for the Oscars, when it comes to people tuning in to watch it, and the year Lord of the Rings: The Return of The King was up got a huge crowd. This year, however, there is nothing too important, according to many people, although I would have to disagree, of course. I am more interested in what the academy thinks than what people think.

I am looking forward to see what the girls are wearing. Fashion is a big deal when it comes to such events. I hope Hilary wears something far superior to what she has been wearing lately, which, in my opinion, in really insipid and quite unattractive. I wish I could dress her up. :bowser:

Posted by Mixhael

Quoting Dexter: ...his acting is so amusing, especially in Dogma.

Yeah. I thought he was funny in that and in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. I'm glad he hasn't taken his box office misery seriously. Rock hosting the Oscars reminds me of Conan hosting the Emmys. That was probably the best hosted awards show I'd ever seen, filled with odd jokes getting semi-laugh recognition in the crowd; "This section over here represents all the black people who watch 'Frasier'". That's the experience Rock should look forward to this Sunday.

Regardless of host, seems like most people have Million Dollar Baby favored for best picture and Hilary Swank for best actress. Winning this second Oscar will make her the new prettier Julia Roberts, with the pay to match. But I'm late on seeing all these nominated movies so I'll have to catch up soon.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Best Picture
The aviator
Finding Neverland
Million Dollar Baby
Ray
Sideways

Directing
Ray (Taylor Hackford)
Vera Drake (Mike Leigh)

Cinematography

Actor in a Leading Role
Don Cheadle

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]Although the past year in movies hasn't interested too much, i'll still watch. They need to get a host like Chris Rock to liven up these types of shows, they are very out of touch with our generation (anybody actually find Billy Crystal funny?). Here are my pics:

Best Picture: The Aviator
Out of the nominees i found The Aviator being the better movie as a whole. It has a great actual storyline, and memorable cast of characters.

Best Directing: Martin Sorcese
Even if it wasn't his best film, the academy should just give it to his as a lifetime achievement award. Scorsese must be deadly jealous of Oliver Stone.

Cinematography: The Passion of the Christ
I am outraged! The Passion deserved many more nomination. It makes me wonder wether the academy really is biased based on religion.

Actor in a Leading Role: Don Cheadle
Either Foxx or DiCaprio will most likely win, but Cheadle is the one who deserves it. He's one the most underated actors in Hollywood, and he deserves get the award he should have gotten years ago. I'll also be happy if Johnny Depp wins.

Actress in a Leading Role: Annette Bening
I have to agree with Dexter. I love Annette, she's one of my favorite actresses, it'd be nice to see her win an Oscar before she stops appearing in movies

Costume Design: I. Don't. Care.
Sorry but i'm not very interested in this category. If it was up to me i'd give the award to Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man outfit :D.[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Annette Bening - Being Julia
Catalina Sandino Moreno - Maria Full of Grace
Imelda Staunton - Vera Drake
Hilary Swank - Million Dollar Baby
Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

With all the hype, people got me wondering if she really will win. Now, I feel this will be the most mysterious and interesting category of the event. Since she already won an Oscar, I really don't see the academy giving her another, especially since this role doesn't really top the role they gave her the Oscar for before. We'll see.

Posted by Mixhael

Writing (Original Screenplay): Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Since this movie was snubbed in the Best Picture category, I'm really rooting for it to win best screenplay. While I'm not sure why Kate Winslet got nominated for lead actress, I'm even more puzzled as to why Jim Carrey gets blown away so often. He gave an extraordinary performance in Sunshine, as well as the Truman Show and from what I hear, Man on the Moon. I guess if you play a character like Ace Ventura you can never win best actor :dunno:

Posted by Ch

Are there going to be any musical guests? If so who are they? I've heard Santana is perforiming :-)

Posted by Axis

[COLOR=Black]Only reason I'll be watching tonight is because of Chris Rock hosting.[/COLOR]

Posted by Groundscope

I have to say I was more interested in the Oscars the past few years when The Lord of the Rings films were out. But I never did like the Oscars award show a whole lot...

Best Picture
The Aviator
Finding Neverland
Million Dollar Baby
Ray
Sideways

Ray: I have not seen many of these movies. :) But I will "guess" that Ray will get an Oscar. I don't like Million Dollar Baby.

Directing
Ray (Taylor Hackford)
Vera Drake (Mike Leigh)

Martin Scorsese: He is a pretty good director, I don't know much about the others though..

Cinematography

Passion of the Christ: This film should be nominated for many more categories, I don't know what the deal is with Hollywood. The Passion is also naminated for: Achievement in Makeup, Best Original Score, Achievement in Cinematography.

Actor in a Leading Role
Don Cheadle

Posted by Mixhael

Jamie Foxx looks like an idiot with that tattoo on the back of his head. If the man who starred in Booty Call can win an Oscar, Jim Carrey better get his ****ing dues.

He's crying now, awww. Anyways, aside from all the annoying acceptance speeches including Hilary Swank's "Wait!"s, its been a fairly good Oscars show. It's pretty much over, but I think Rock did an awesome job hosting and making great jokes. Too bad the one with Sandler didn't work. It was probably funnier in rehearsal

I didn't find Rock that funny really. Sure he had a few good jokes, but not one of the best hosts I've seen.

And LA: I gotta agree, Foxx looks like a retard with that tattoo. Pretty good speech though, had my mom crying near the end.

Over all, pretty good show. I enjoyed it. Beyonce did a fatastic job with that one song she sang. One of the better parts of the show.

And I believe I was four for six. I kick ***.

Posted by Axis

[COLOR=Black]Yeah, Rock wasnt that good tonight. He mostly does well because of his cruel jokes and what-not, he couldnt do that on the oscars so he kinda had to hang back.

I didnt realize that was a tattoo on the back of his head. The whole time I was wondering what the hell it was. I just though it was something shaved on the back of his head like you see those Nike symbols.

Im sad that Dan Cheadle didnt win :(

Good show though.
[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

Amazing. Hilary wins. I somehow knew it was to be as soon as I sat down and started watching the program. I remember when she first caught my eye in The Next Karate Kid back in 1994. Wow, amusing how things work out.

Posted by Dexter

Wow. This thread is now over a year old. Seems like I just posted it yesterday. I don't think I've ever bumped a year-old thread before.

So did anyone watch the 2005 Oscars? I was sure Crash was considered a 2004 film, but I suppose they bumped it up because it was neglected last year? The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of Zach Braff and the animation category. I was hoping Howl's Moving Castle would win. And when are we going to see Christian Bale at the Oscars?

Quoted post: I was sure Crash was considered a 2004 film, but I suppose they bumped it up because it was neglected last year?

... yeah, that's fairly idiotic though. Yeah, it's a great movie and deserves recgonition, but what's the point of having "Best Film of 2005" if you're just going to give it to a movie from the previous year? Pretty unfair.