Black Metal Lameness

Posted by Lord of Spam

So Vampy sent me a song to play on me show next Thurs. I was listening to it, and the music was okay and all (I particularly liked the drums), but the "singer" was just... well, it reminded me of a mall goth. He knows deep inside that he is just a loser little *****, so he tries 10 times as hard to make up for it, and ends up just sounding and looking retarded.

Now, I'm not saying that whoever sang it is lame, I'm just saying that it seemed it. It seemed like he was so concerned with being GRRRR RAWR SO ANGRY AND HARDCORE that he forgot that a song was even going on. If you took him out of the song, I would have no argument against it. It would be a tad bland with no vocals, but it would beat having the buffoonery layed over top of it completely robbing me of the ability to listen to it with a straight face.

So what the hell, basically. Is the whole genre like that, and if so, why?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

There's different styles of vocals.

But, it IS black metal. It's not the type of genre that you can just get into and enjoy straight away. And most will never enjoy it. It's an aquired taste, really.

But the vocals (guitars, drums) and rawness of the genre is why fans enjoy it. It may sound goofy or terrbily lame to people who don't like the genre, but it's just another way to convey emotion. It's more about the music and genre itself, rather than anything else like money or fame.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'm all for emotion in music, but that guy just ends up sounding more goofy than emotional.

Also, the song in question is Possessed by Black F*cking Metal by Nargoroth, since I'm silly and forgot to mention the songs name.

Quoted post: Also, the song in question is Possessed by Black F*cking Metal by Nargoroth, since I'm silly and forgot to mention the songs name.

Yeah, that may not be the best example either...

But like I said, it's an aquired taste that most people never aquire. And it's hard to explain to people like that. You'd just need to hear more of the genre, rather than just one poor example.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If anyone wants to throw some examples that they feel might be more representative or accesible, feel free.

Posted by Klarth

I dislike straight-up BM immensely! However, I'm keen on crossover genres - Falkenbach, for instance, are folky and have their (his?) share of nice, clean vocals throughout songs whereas occasionally he'll do a load of raaaaagh BM growls.

It's mainly the instruments in BM that I don't really like, actually. And the production quality.

Quoted post: It's mainly the instruments in BM that I don't really like, actually. And the production quality.

Yeah, I can see both being really annoying. As the guitars tend to be really buzzy and repetitive, and the drums can be too upfront and really basic. And there is not production quality. But those are some of the reasons I like the genre, oddly enough.

Quoted post: If anyone wants to throw some examples that they feel might be more representative or accesible, feel free.

I'll send some over AIM if you care for it.

Posted by Gollum

[quote=Vampiro]It's not the type of genre that you can just get into and enjoy straight away.

<-- (that's an arrow pointing to me)

[quote=Lord of Spam] If anyone wants to throw some examples that they feel might be more representative or accesible, feel free.

Enslaved and Condemned by Old Man's Child. It's melodic bm with fuxing awesome drumming.

[quote=sexy vamps]Yeah, I can see both being really annoying. As the guitars tend to be really buzzy and repetitive, and the drums can be too upfront and really basic. And there is not production quality. But those are some of the reasons I like the genre, oddly enough.

That's what I keep hearing, but from what I've heard so far they're not always buzzy, repetitive, or basic. Nobody appreciates how hard it is to play double bass fast. And The Age of Cataclysm by Cryptic Wintermoon actually had pretty good production quality.

So yeah, I've only heard a bit of black metal from ...And Oceans, Cryptic Wintermoon, Old Man's Child, and War, but I'll be listening to a lot more today. Probably Mayhem, Vordr, Abyssos, and Carpathian Forest, so I'll know more about black metal later. :-*

Quoted post: <-- (that's an arrow pointing to me)

Talking about people who don't even listen to "heavy" music. So going from something like mainstream to Black Metal and enjoying it right away is pretty much impossible.

Quoted post: That's what I keep hearing, but from what I've heard so far they're not always buzzy, repetitive, or basic. Nobody appreciates how hard it is to play double bass fast. And The Age of Cataclysm by Cryptic Wintermoon actually had pretty good production quality.

No, not all of it. Just look at Craft's "**** the Universe", or some Taake. But a lot of raw BM (or "true BM". A huge part of that is poor quality) features buzzy guitar with repeating riffs. Also, not many bands feature overly complex drumming, or anything too fantastic. It tends to be pretty repetitive, only there to help make the music flow, and that's about it. But, once again, that doesn't apply to all Black Metal. Darkthrone's ABitNS is a good example of upfront, great drumming that actually helps add something to the music.

You just need to hear more of the genre, really. Which I can help you with, if you ever want it.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Lord of Spam: If anyone wants to throw some examples that they feel might be more representative or accesible, feel free.

Black Metal's not about accessibility. That's why people generally start off with newer Dimmu Borgir material -- which is hardly black metal -- and work their way up. Rarely does anyone start off with something like A Blaze in the Northern Sky, because everything sounds so ridiculously chaotic at first, when in actuality it's really not. Basically, it's something you have to develop an ear for, and the bands people have to go through to get to the really good material just isn't worth it.

In conclusion, I don't recommend Black Metal at all. Mainly because I'm tired of seeing the name everywhere and also having it associated with Dimmu Borgir and CoF.

On a side note: for me black metal is like ambient music. It's repetitive, it's all about atmosphere, it's simple (less is more), and rarely does anyone have the patience or ear for it. I think the same thing can be said about blues music for the most part.

Posted by Gollum

[quote=Lord of Spam]So Vampy sent me a song to play on me show next Thurs. I was listening to it, and the music was okay and all (I particularly liked the drums), but the "singer" was just... well, it reminded me of a mall goth. He knows deep inside that he is just a loser little *****, so he tries 10 times as hard to make up for it, and ends up just sounding and looking retarded.

Now, I'm not saying that whoever sang it is lame, I'm just saying that it seemed it. It seemed like he was so concerned with being GRRRR RAWR SO ANGRY AND HARDCORE that he forgot that a song was even going on. If you took him out of the song, I would have no argument against it. It would be a tad bland with no vocals, but it would beat having the buffoonery layed over top of it completely robbing me of the ability to listen to it with a straight face.

I just finished downloading some Nargaroth, and listened to that song. I really loved it. I didn't think the singer sounded that angry either, he just used harsh vocals, but to me it wasn't that angry. And the production is good, thank god.

[quote=Vampiro]You just need to hear more of the genre, really. Which I can help you with, if you ever want it.

!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love that. I need some bands to look into first, cause I'm just starting out. Help?

Quoted post: On a side note: for me black metal is like ambient music. It's repetitive, it's all about atmosphere, it's simple (less is more), and rarely does anyone have the patience or ear for it. I think the same thing can be said about blues music for the most part.

This is quite true. So is your whole post, but especially that.

Oh, and you only hear about it everywhere because this is the internet. Black Metal barely exists in real life it seems.

Quoted post:
!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love that. I need some bands to look into first, cause I'm just starting out. Help?

Get on AIM.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Trance sets a better mood for me:/

Guess I'm jsut not cut out for metal.:cool:

Posted by metal_bladekid

hey black metal is really good. there is nothing like music from the dark countries

Quoted post: there is nothing like music from the dark countries

Like the US and Canada?

Posted by Lord of Spam

George bush

nuff said

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Vampiro: Like the US and Canada?

And France. Speaking of which, can you hook me up with some non-Vlad Tepes LLN when I get my wireless router?

Posted by Hyper

I'm not big on black metal myself (yet). The only black metal band I listen to is Arcturus, I think. I'm always open to suggestions, though.

Quoted post: And France. Speaking of which, can you hook me up with some non-Vlad Tepes LLN when I get my wireless router?

IT SHALL BE DONE

I already zipped it up for you about a month ago when you wanted it. I guess I just never got around to sending it.

Quoted post: The only black metal band I listen to is Arcturus, I think. I'm always open to suggestions, though.

Yeah... they're BM I guess. Just more atmospheric.

Though I'm always willing to help a brotha. It just depends what you want to hear. I'll assume raw BM is out of the question for now, but if you like Atmospheric/Ambient bands, definitely check out Vinterriket. Such a fantastic band.
You might also like Elegeion. Clean female vocals, harsh male vocals, somewhat doomy. Not really BM, though it does have elements.
Old Man's Child, melodic BM. Great riffs and amazing drums.
Sad Legend, more melodic BM. Just done better in my opinion. Probably one of the better bands I've ever heard.
Sigh, is highly recommended if you haven't all ready checked them out. Easily on my favourite bands. There music is pretty mind-blowing really. Hard to describe, but definitely amazing. And there new albums is completely clean. No harsh vocals.

Eh, there's tons more I could recommend. I just don't know if you'd like your average BM band, even if it includes other elements. Otherwise, I could name at least a hundred bands off of the top of my head.

But yeah, if you want any of this I'll be glad to send you it. As, some of the stuff might be kinda hard to find.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Anyone who wants a good transition between the "mainstream" stuff and hardcore black metal should listen to anything from Emperor's album "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk", especially "Ye Entrancemperium". It goes down easy, yet it has enough complexity and niche appeal to keep the hardcore black metal lover coming back.

Quite true. Most people opt for Dimmu (minus Stormblast and For All Tid) or CoF, but they're a pretty poor example of what's too come (really poor, actually). Emperor, like you said, is a good balance between accessibility and straight black metal. It's still a large jump from that to something like Nocternity, Ljå or Muliilation. But it gets the job done.

Other suggestion is Nokturnal Mortum. Somewhat like Emperor, just less symphonic elements. Though they maintain the "over-reliance" on keyboards.

Posted by Philsdad

I second Vampiro's suggestion on Nokturnal Mortum, and I'd suggest trying their Goat Horns album first. It's their most accessible album and just rules overall. Their stuff is actually pretty diverse ranging from pure black metal to straght up Ukranian Folk (try their Marble Moon EP to see what I mean) to a mixture of the two at times. They also have some good symphonic instrumentals. Here's a few other good songs you might want to try:

Sigh - Diabolic Suicide
Sad Legend - Realm Of The Soulless
Abigor - Unleashed Axe Age

Posted by Klarth

Arcturus? ****, don't know how I could forget them. Yeah, their older stuff is straight-up BM with symphonic overtones and overboard keyboards, while their newer stuff (with Vortex from DB on vox) is almost entirely clean vocals with less abrasive drums and guitars.

I like both old and new though!

Posted by metal_bladekid

listen if you want true black metal any bands like venom bathory mayhem etc. there is a long list of them but the stupid radio destroyed that. mainstream will take and destroy any form of independent music. i ahve heard bands such as cradle of filth and behemoth on mainstream radio.

Quoted post: and I'd suggest trying their Goat Horns album first.

That's exactly the album I had in mind.

Quoted post: Sad Legend - Realm Of The Soulless

That or Han. Both are pretty excellent.

Another good band I could mention is Vesania. Really heavy, good vocals, and pretty decent symphonic elements (without coming close to overdoing it). Plus, it has Orion from Behemoth and Daray from Vader. Can't go wrong.

I'd recommend the album "Firefrost Arcanum".

Quoted post: there is a long list of them but the stupid radio destroyed that. mainstream will take and destroy any form of independent music. i ahve heard bands such as cradle of filth and behemoth on mainstream radio.

Yeah, the radio really destroyed black metal :rolleyes:

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting metal_bladekid: listen if you want true black metal any bands like venom bathory mayhem etc. there is a long list of them but the stupid radio destroyed that. mainstream will take and destroy any form of independent music. i ahve heard bands such as cradle of filth and behemoth on mainstream radio.

CoF and Behemoth are hardly obscure, not that it matters anyway. We'll talk about Behemoth being "ruined" the day I hear "Pure Evil and Hate" off of And the Forests Dream Eternally on the local pop radio station. Both of the bands you mentioned play catchy, watered down forms of the genres that have influenced them.

And for ****'s sake, GET OVER IT. There is no mainstream! It doesn't exist. Who cares if anyone or everyone likes the music and it receives airtime. IT'S NOT YOUR ****ING MUSIC, IT'S THE ARTISTS'! THEY CREATED IT, NOT YOU.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Quoting metal_bladekid: listen if you want true black metal any bands like venom bathory mayhem etc. there is a long list of them but the stupid radio destroyed that. mainstream will take and destroy any form of independent music. i ahve heard bands such as cradle of filth and behemoth on mainstream radio.
No, the radio didn't destroy them. Some bands became more mainstream, but the bigger mainstream has also contributed to an influx of underground BM.

Posted by Dexter

Agalloch is played on a particular radio station around here often, probably because they were formed in Portland. Still a fantastic band. I get excited every time I hear them on the radio, which isn't all too often. I'm glad they are getting airtime. I've actually met a few people around here who know of them, surprisingly. They didn't seem to care for them though.

Posted by metal_bladekid

you have to admit that radio does ruin all that we hold dear as musicians. i am a musician and i could find success without the radio. i have nothing out right now but i could do what slayer did. when they started out they were obscure and they never had a track on the radio same with anthrax and lots of other thrash bands. these bands have just started to get credit as thrash
becomes more and more mainstream. black metal is starting the same. bathory was never heard of till the rise of CoF and dimmu borgir

Posted by basterd

potland maine or oragon? I just just had a idea. Why don't we combine all the metal genres and call it fog metal

Posted by basterd

Jim you can't evan play the guitar controller at the mall.you cant evan play guitar you f*ck up once you get a good riff going

Ugh, never mind. Metal Kid is a retard.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting metal_bladekid: black metal is starting the same. bathory was never heard of till the rise of CoF and dimmu borgir

Which totally explains the hordes of black metal bands that sound exactly like Bathory. Bathory was bigger in the late 80's and early 90's than most people credit them/him for. I mean, c'mon, I have a video of One Rode to Asa Bay being played on Scandinavian MTV. I see what you're saying though, but I completely disagree with the way you're saying it.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Dexter: Agalloch is played on a particular radio station around here often, probably because they were formed in Portland. Still a fantastic band. I get excited every time I hear them on the radio, which isn't all too often. I'm glad they are getting airtime. I've actually met a few people around here who know of them, surprisingly. They didn't seem to care for them though.

Agalloch... Radio? I suddenly have an even deeper desire to visit Oregon.

As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with radio time in some circumstances - Without it, the bands we all love that were influenced by, er, older bands who received radio time never would have existed. If that even makes sense.

Quoted post: As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with radio time in some circumstances - Without it, the bands we all love that were influenced by, er, older bands who received radio time never would have existed. If that even makes sense.

Plus, it's sorta neat.

Posted by basterd

As the title says LAMENESS

Posted by MetalVox~55

In before Shin & Vampir--...wait, beaten. Hi guys!

HAI SCOTT!

Posted by Raptor

I really like "No Tyme 2 Cry" by Cradle of Filth. It's the only black metal song I can stand. :rock:

-=Edit=- Symgothic Phonic Metal. THx PIT

Posted by Pit

Symphonic Gothic Metal*