Marathon

Posted by Dexter

I joined a marathon. I was studying biology at school with a friend and there's this big deal about an upcoming marathon going on. When we learned that almost anyone could join it, we were inspired to do so. I've never ran in a marathon before, nor have I ever cared to until now. I still don't really care for the idea, but I think I should run a marathon at least once in my lifetime. I'm already registered and ready to run. I run so much as it is and I am considered rather fast. I'm learning how to pace myself and I have been jogging and running even more to tone myself up for the race. I think I'm going to do really good, but we'll see. The marathon, I believe, is over 30 miles and it is in about 40 days.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to get myself even more prepared?

This will be the biggest competition I've ever been in. I played some sports growing up, namely soccer, but that was all kiddy stuff. Being home schooled, I didn't get the opportunity to test my skills against others. This will be that opportunity. I'm really looking forward to it. It's going to be an intense run.

How about you guys? Ever been in any competition that you consider important? How did you do? Anyone else here like to run? Having a gorgeous ocean shore right next to you makes running much easier to do, especially at night with DJ Ti

Posted by Lord of Spam

DO NOT run in new shoes if it can be avoided. Thats all I know for sure. I'd guess that you shoudl just try to run as much as possible to get ready for it, and then maybe reast the day or two before to let your body recover.

Posted by Shade

Use running shoes and down some protien 'shakes.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

marathon's 26 miles or so. It's named after the mythical legend of Paedippides, the courier who ran from the battle of Marathon, a battle which the Athenians defended the Iberian Peninsula from Darius (II?) 's invasion, sending them fleeing back into the see. Paedippides ran the 26.2 I think miles from Marathon to Athens to give the word of the victory. Upon reaching Athens, he said "we are victorious" and fell over dead. This is from memory so I probably screwed it up.

Good luck, pace yourself.

Posted by sniper

Bring water.

Posted by Ant

Use the boat.

Posted by brownoystercult

Heh, I remember playing soccer.

I remember getting the oranges at halftime. One of the reasons I continued playing. :cool:

Anyway, I run track and keep one thing in mind: Go slow. Pace yourself, don't push yourself too hard or you'll end up throwing up. 30 miles is a lot, so for practice go to a local park and run a mile every day or two. Aim for a mile target of 12 minutes, and if you think you can go faster than that, then great.

Since this is your first marathon, the time shouldn't matter. Actually the time should never matter unless theres some serious competition involved. Finishing is your main goal; and it should be fairly easy.

Oh yeah, and if you have the cash, I suggest getting the Nike Air Max 360s. Great running shoes.

Posted by Lord of Spam

My best one mile time was like 8 something. I worked my *** off, and felt like a moron.:(

But dont let me get you down :cookie:

Posted by brownoystercult

Heh, my best mile time was 7 minutes and about 19 seconds if I remember correctly

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

mine was 5:55, so while we're one-upping eachother, eat that

Posted by Lord of Spam

You can all rot in hell, cuz I just did a mile in like 30 seconds...

...in my truck.:(

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Thirty miles is quite a bit, good luck.

I remember running five miles in grade five or six, and came out third place, I believe. I don't recall how many I was up against, but the number was close to thirty.

Elaborate stretching and jogging each day will better prepare you. And as others have mentioned, wear shoes that you're all ready comfortable with. Water is also a good idea, don't overdress etc.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'll be frank dude. You're screwed. People who run 10 miles a day still train upwards of 6 months to a year for a marathon, and you expect to run one in a little over a month? I don't care how good you claim to be at running, you'd better get ready to be barfing up a kidney. Good luck, either way

Posted by sniper

That won't happen if he walks most of it!

Posted by Lord of Spam

dextergolden: I’ll definitely finish. I don’t know how high of a place I’ll get, but I’m actually going to aim for the top 20.
Penguin supreme: Wow, good luck. Just try not to overdo it:(

Thats all I have to say.

Posted by NES Queen

as BJ said, if you havn't already been training for marathon running, you're kinda screwed. it doesnt matter if you run daily. unless you're running 10+miles a day you're not ready to suddenly do 26+. its all about building up your endurance level. [URL="http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/the-long-run-is-your-mara.shtml"]clicky here for some good tips[/URL]

a more realistic goal would be to start training now for the NYC marathon, the epitome of marathons. they too have a good training program outlined [URL="http://www.nyrrc.org/nyrrc/marathon/training/trainingprogram.php"]here[/URL]

Posted by Dexter

I'm confident that I will do fairly well, even with my lack of training and short preparations. You'd be surprised how well I am currently able to run. I've only just recently noticed how well I am at it. I've been doing a few miles every day and having no problem with it. I would easily be doing more if I had the time. This marathon's going to be long and I'm sure I will struggle like everyone else, but it will certainly be an experience worth requiring. I have a feeling that I'm going to impress myself in this marathon.

New York marathon? That would be fun. How's New York doing these days? Last time I was there someone stole my baseball bats and gloves out of the truck of my car. They left the 120 + CD case and laptop behind. It was hilarious. My sister and I were laughing all the way to the twin towers. Aw, the good ol' days.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Dexter: New York marathon? That would be fun. How's New York doing these days? Last time I was there someone stole my baseball bats and gloves out of the truck of my car. They left the 120 + CD case and laptop behind. It was hilarious. My sister and I were laughing all the way to the twin towers. Aw, the good ol' days.

ahh, well thats why the majority of NY'ers dont drive in the city. its all taxis and crazy tourists. aside from not being able to find a parking space, the new carpool rules, crazy pedestrians who dont look where they walk, crazy taxis.... anything you leave behind in your car is fair game.

as for the towers, i still havnt been down there since 2001. kinda the 'out of sight, out of mind' theory. if i dont see it with my own eyes i can keep myself distant from it and deal better with the loss.

Posted by Arczu

Just make sure that when you run, you land on the heel of your foot and roll to the toes as it leaves the ground. It helps a lot when it isn't alapping the ground.

Posted by Dexter

The marathon is over. Dexter has officially ran a marathon. It was almost 35 miles long. I placed 9th out of about 130 runners and I seriously think I could have done better. If only I had one more mile, I was catching up with the next guy pretty fast.

The first 12 miles was easy. If only the rest of the run was that easy. From mile 12 to about mile 20, I was having some trouble. I got myself used to running about 7 miles. I was doing it often and without much difficultly. My body wasn't ready for anything pass 12 miles though. My body, and probably every human body, isn't really made for such runs. It seems so unnatural. We don't respond positively to such treatment, honestly. No one vomited or died, which happens more often than some may think. Plenty of people were tripping or falling over. I usually don't laugh at other people's pains, which is why I don't enjoy America's Funniest Videos, but some of these falls really got me going. I almost had to stop running a few times to hold my stomach. Most of the runners would fall over, roll, then quickly get back up and continue running again as if it never happened. This other guy fell over and just stayed on the ground gazing up towards the sky as I ran p*** him. There were about 15 runners who didn't even finish.

After I got to mile 20 or 22, most of the struggling was gone. The pain and the desire to stop running got ignored and I just got myself into a trance and often got lost in my thoughts, being incredibly careless about the run itself. I was around 20th place for most of the race, but towards the last 7 miles I stepped it up a bit and passed a bunch of runners to gain 9th. I really think I could've ranked higher, but I suppose I'll never get the opportunity to try again, for I doubt I'll be joining another marathon ever again. Not without my iPod, at least.

I'm proud of myself for what I consider to be a victorious run. :link:

Posted by Ant

I'm proud of you too! Good job Dexter!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Dexter

Thanks, Anty! You should've seen me. Sonic would have been impressed. ^_^

I was probably on the news tonight. There were plenty of cameras and news groups and they actually asked me a few questions before the run. Not sure if that will air, though, because I had the reporter laughing uproariously.

I think I'll sleep for a few days now. My legs are going to feel some major pain in the morning. I'll be running in my sleep like that day I played Dr. Mario all day and dreamt about it all night. :(

Posted by GameMiestro

Marathon? Oh, you mean the non-violent kind... :(

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Congrats, Dexter. I do like running, but not for that length, and I don't see myself ever doing it. But good on you. You make us proud. :)