80s music

Posted by Buneasta

It's my favourite genre. I totally love Tears For Fears. Roland Orzabal, I salute ya. Oh and ABC, Phil Collins, The Human League, The Police and Erasure are legends. I think they'd get a laugh looking back on those days.

Posted by cheese_muncher

I think that AC/DC was a good band

Posted by Bubblez

I adore 80ies music, maybe because it's the time I grew up. I especially like the new wave classics but also pop. Here are some of my favourite tracks:

Yazoo - Don't Go
Bronski Beat - Small Town Boy
Stranglers - Golden Brown
The Smiths - This Charming Man
OMD - Enola Gay
Ultra Vox - Vienna
Visage - Fade To Gray
Depeche Mode - Strangelove and lots of other tracks
Billy Idol - all the tracks!!!
Nick Kershaw - The Riddle
New Order - Blue Monday and True Faith
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

The list could go no and on...

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Depeche mode was extremely lame

Posted by Richaod

Quoting cheese_muncher: I think that AC/DC was a good band

Stuff like Highway To Hell and Back In Black were great the first time around. But I have Ballbreaker and it's basically exactly the same as their older albums, but with some clean intros and far less energy. Fanboys who complain about Metallica and company always "selling out" and crap like that got the extreme reverse with AC/DC. And funnily enough, they weren't in ecstasy over it.

With that said, I like pretty much all of Metallica's 80's albums, some Black Sabbath and, I suppose some Guns N' Roses. Two extremely popular bands that I don't like are Iron Maiden and Slayer.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Depeche mode was extremely lame

I heard 'I Feel Loved' on the radio again yesterday and I must say, they most certainly are not.

I like most of the 80s alternative and punk.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

hah, right 80s punk. What do you know about 80s punk. (incoming rants about the ramones and sex pistols, I'm thinking)

depeche mode sucked. I liked 80s pop, but DM was and always will be, the gayest of the gay

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: hah, right 80s punk. What do you know about 80s punk. (incoming rants about the ramones and sex pistols, I'm thinking)

The Ramones made their best albums in the 70s and the Sex Pistols broke up before the 80s.

80s alternative and punk is more along the lines of the Clash, Talking Heads, the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Pixies, Sonic Youth. The Stone Roses formed in 1989 but didn't really get going until 1990.

I'm probably forgetting some bands right now, but meh.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

okay, I stand corrected, good show

though you left out Bad Religion, Subhumanz, Circle Jerk, Aggression, and Anthrax. I'm not big on the genre, but I know what I do like, though I don't think that Sonic Youth was around in the 80s, nor the Pixies (though I'm not sure bout them)

Posted by MetalVox~55

Where's Van Halen?

Posted by Buneasta

Vince Clarke was the founder of Depeche Mode and he later formed Erasure with Andy Bell.

Posted by Arwon

Talking Heads! Devo! B-52's! Violent Femmes! REM!

SC: I think you could argue that the Clash were also sort of over the hill by 1980 (London Calling was 1979 wasnt it?).

But then, I much prefer to look at the period 1975 - 1985 as its own decade of awesomeness, rather than illogically splitting it down the middle, slicing the careers of so many awesome bands in two.

Quoted post: though you left out Bad Religion, Subhumanz, Circle Jerk, Aggression, and Anthrax. I'm not big on the genre, but I know what I do like, though I don't think that Sonic Youth was around in the 80s, nor the Pixies (though I'm not sure bout them)

Well, I don't really like many of those aforementioned bands that much. Sonic Youth was most definitely around in the 80s, they released their best album in '88. The Pixies best works were in the 80s, with Surfer Rosa and Doolittle.

Quoted post: Where's Van Halen?

Well obviously nobody likes them :D

Posted by rivercitytecmo

i don't think i'd include the Jesus and mary chain and sonic youth as punk. also, by the 80s, talking heads had pretty much abandoned any type of punk sound they had.

i've got to agree with bj, though. aside from one or so songs, the depeche mode were lame. then again, i also think that inxs were lame, so make of that what you will.

Posted by Ch

i detest 80's music... well alot of it. There are some good songs here and there.

Quoting rivercitytecmo: i don't think i'd include the Jesus and mary chain and sonic youth as punk. also, by the 80s, talking heads had pretty much abandoned any type of punk sound they had.

I kinda did say 'alternative and punk'.

Don't try and one-up me on new wave/indie/alternative knowledge. You won't win. Unless you're Arwon.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Duran Duran, Poison, The Scorpion, Night Ranger, David Bowie, and various other bands sit cozily in my CD library.:cool:

Posted by Buneasta

Quoting User 245: i detest 80's music... well alot of it. There are some good songs here and there.

80s was the best genre for everything. What are you on?

Posted by Raptor

Depeche Mode is excellent. I especially enjoy the songs, "World in my Eyes" and "Waiting for the Night." So much of their music is perfect for surreal nocturnal expeditions. I have also grown up with The Police, Howard Jones, and Peter Gabriel, and have recently been getting into the Human League.

Quoting Buneasta: 80s was the best genre for everything. What are you on?

Sorry, but '80s' is not a genre.

Posted by Buneasta

Yes it is. It was another time and another place. Surely you don't think anything over the year 1999 can compete with the likes of Tears For Fears, Sting, Mark Knopfer, Phil Collins, Phil Oakey, Erasure, Lionel Richie, Bryan Adams, Abba, Sade, Annie Lennox and Nik Kershaw, eh?

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: though I don't think that Sonic Youth was around in the 80s, nor the Pixies (though I'm not sure bout them)

I don't particularly like either, but they certainly were. Daydream Nation and Surfer Rosa (which weren't even their respective debuts, methinks) were both 1988 releases.

[quote=Buneasta]Yes it is. It was another time and another place. Surely you don't think anything over the year 1999 can compete with the likes of Tears For Fears, Sting, Mark Knopfer, Phil Collins, Phil Oakey, Erasure, Lionel Richie, Bryan Adams, Abba, Sade, Annie Lennox and Nik Kershaw, eh?

The way you word it as a genre and your favourite artists kind of suggests that you like music with nostalgic sounds/style rather than simply old music. I can name a lot of post-1999 songs I prefer to 80's stuff, but even current classic rock doesn't sound quite like they used to make it.

Posted by mis0

I particularly enjoy the music of Rush, The Scorpions (hell yeahs i is rox0rin' like a hurrikain!1) Def Leppards (Rock of Ages is awesome), and Pink Floyd.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting TheSecondComing:
Don't try and one-up me on new wave/indie/alternative knowledge. You won't win. Unless you're Arwon.

i'm pretty sure i would win, but whatever.

just for your knowledge, i'm 21.

Quoting rivercitytecmo: i'm pretty sure i would win, but whatever.

just for your knowledge, i'm 21.

I'd take you to the edge, bby :-*

Posted by rivercitytecmo

if you're really into new wave, you've got to check out the new wave outpost (nwoutpost.com).

i'll throw together a list of my favorite new wave songs later.

Posted by Buneasta

Alot of them were one hit wonders, like Bros.

Posted by Bubblez

Yeah, Bros... Hahaha!! I haven't heard a single song by them but I remember that they were in all the teen mags.

Posted by Buneasta

Most of those artists are still playing but to a very small audience.