Do you know how to have private surfing?

Posted by Buneasta

http://www.stayinvisible.com/

It protects you from hackers and people that like to gather your details.

Posted by higbvuyb

It also slow down your connection to a crawl. And why is everyone so stupid? The chance of your personal computer being hacked it miniscule. And if a hacker knew your IP address, theres no way that can stop them.

Posted by Osic

pulling the cord out usualy works.

Hackers arnt going to attack a personal computer just because they can. They are much more likely to attack an always on server because
a) Its always on and not attended by anyone, therefore minimising chanches of geting caught out mid-hack
b)gives them alot more time
c)Servers serve things to many people so by screwing up a server tehy may take down a site (eg vgchat.com) which inconviences many people.

What is hacking your insignificant computer going to do for a hacker, get your photos from my documents and deleate them?

Most things that gather details are spyware, a few simple precausions should ensure a hack free computer
1) run a firewall, hackers usualy use unused ports, stop them by closing the ports.
2) run an antivirus, and actualy scan sus stuff that you download. Keep it up to date and you should never acedently install spyware
3) Dont use IE, firefox is much safer as most nastys are designed to be opened/used in IE, less then 5% of people use Firefox, whos going to make a threat that only works for 5% of people
4) Only use trusted sites to download, if it looks sus dont download unless you need to and even then scan for virus's before opening the program. A good hint that its a bad site is popups and lots of adds. If you shouldnt be downloading it (movies, free mp3's etc most of its got some form of spyware in it)
5)When downloading use your head, if you need a piece of written info it proberly shouldnt be a .exe file.
6) Dont use P2P like KAzza or whatevers new these days.

By following this there realy is no chanch of someone hacking/ getting spyware/virus's etc.

Posted by sniper

I only use proxys when I want to bypass the school's security or get a fake IP logged when I am up to no good. Otherwise it needlessly slows your connection.

Plus, every single day I use mIRC, and anyone on the same network as me (usually way up in the thousands) can view my IP as they please. However, I haven't had a single problem yet.

Posted by Buneasta

I use them all the time. 8080 are the best.

Posted by sniper

That is just paranoid without reason. All a "hacker" could do with your IP is make you lag like hell, and that can be prevented with even Zonealarm.

Posted by Buneasta

No, I just like to spoof my details.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Then I hope you have Java disabled. Even on anonymous proxies if Java is enabled you IP is still viewable. GG.

Posted by loony636

Quoting sniper: That is just paranoid without reason. All a "hacker" could do with your IP is make you lag like hell, and that can be prevented with even Zonealarm.

I agree, get zonealarm. Its free (the basic version is) and it works like a dream. Doesn't slow down your computer at all. The only bad thing it does is ask what programs you want to acess the internet. This can sometimes jam games if it asks during a game. But other that that its great.

If you're one of those people that just wants more protection than everyone else because you are strange, then get a hardware firewall. They cost a bit, but they are 95% proven to stop hackers. If you have both Zonealarm and a hardware firewall, then you are 100% from hackers.

I would only recommend a hardware firewall when you use it in combination with a router (for those of you who don't know what a router is, its a box that connects all of the computers together and shares an internet connection between the computers aswell). You save money if you do this and you make you're computers safe.

Posted by higbvuyb

And why would a hacker bother hacking you anyway?

Posted by sniper

Don't you know? Hackers operate without reason... THEY ARE PURE EVIL.

Posted by Osic

Millions of people online at any one time. hundreds of hackers. Most of which are making software to do somthing bad to computers. Hackers dont just sit on there computers for hours on end hacking into useless computers. It would get boring after a couple of computers. HACKERS HAVE NO REASON TO HACK YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!!!

Posted by Jezex

Hackers can develop all sorts of shait... do u know how google finds websites? they use "spiders' wich find anything in that chosen criteria.... so if a hacker uses a ... lets say trojan with a spider attached... all he has to do is say: Credit card details (if ure stupid enough to put something like thhat on a folder in ur computer...) and if ure connected to the internet ur suckered.... but mostly its just spyware... a few years back i didnt know what spyware was and my computer lagged like a biatch... i use spyware stormer and presto 300 spyware viruses and 37 trojans.... just be careful

Posted by sniper

JEZEX OFFICIALLY WINS THE INTERNET

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Jezex: Hackers can develop all sorts of shait... do u know how google finds websites? they use "spiders' wich find anything in that chosen criteria.... so if a hacker uses a ... lets say trojan with a spider attached... all he has to do is say: Credit card details (if ure stupid enough to put something like thhat on a folder in ur computer...) and if ure connected to the internet ur suckered.... but mostly its just spyware... a few years back i didnt know what spyware was and my computer lagged like a biatch... i use spyware stormer and presto 300 spyware viruses and 37 trojans.... just be careful

Idiot, read what Osic said.

Posted by Jezex

Hackers would have a reason if you used the type of trojan that i specified on the top... say the cookies of iuno... ur password for a game, it depends who the hacker is and what they are trying to milk out of you... hackers dont always need a reason to hack ur computer, they could bind the hack to an email address and then when you open it it goes thru ur address book and sends the hack to your friends, and their friends and so on, most hack viruses are not manual and all data is put into a criteria and delete unwanted crap.

Posted by Hyper

If you install software that doesn't encrypt your passwords for it, you deserve to get hacked.

[quote]i use spyware stormer and presto 300 spyware viruses and 37 trojans.

I clicked one of those 'Your computer may be infected with Spyware! Would you like to scan? [Yes] [No]' ads at school and thats the site I got to. I wouldn't be suprised if it actually installed '300 spyware viruses' and 37 trojans, rather than find them.

Posted by Jezex

lol i guess... it wasnt much of a hak and my mother was the one that installed it because the wanted my computer to be "clean" before i changed schools so i dont get blamed for F#$%ing up the schools mainframe(what a wild imagination ;)) the thing actually even charged her twice for typing in the wrong activation code!
all it did was slow my connection and freeze my screen saver and anyway my commputer is better than new cus i got spy bot search and destroy

Note: if you want to make ur computer that bit faster then go to Accesories->system tools_> disk defragmenter... this sorts out ur computer and makes it as fast as when u first bought it again.

Posted by Jezex

Quoting Hyper: I wouldn't be suprised if it actually installed '300 spyware viruses' and 37 trojans, rather than find them.

I got the viruses above before i got spyware stormer... i got i "cleaned" in PC world first before buying it