what was the first computer you ever owned or used?

Posted by r.o.f

what would it be?most people would say a apple but there might be a few of you.

Posted by Lord of Spam

It was some old crappy 286. I look back on it everytime I get mad at my currrent one for being slow.

Posted by Trigger

An old 286 computer, which always amuses me to think that back in its day, it was the fastest piece of technology on the market. I often wonder how far we will take things with current technology - in several years time, we will look at these and consider them to be the equivilant of what a 286 is considered to be today.

Posted by Hyper

No idea. It had a black background with a yellow contrasting color for all text/borders/objects/etc, a small monitor, and I could play various games on it including dugout and space invaders. That probably doesn't narrow it down, however.

Posted by higbvuyb

I've owned plenty of computers. Like, the time when I poured water into the PSU.

Posted by Klarth

In 1994, our family bought a top-of-the-range Packard Bell. It came with Windows 3.11, so we upgraded to 95. 500mb hard drive, 32mb ram, no sound card, native 800x600 res. 'Twas a 286.

Posted by r.o.f

what ever happend to the fudge packer? i remember 50 people had them then they went to dell or compaq or something.did they go bankrupt?

Posted by Philsdad

My family got our first computer in 1984, an Apple II Plus. My first ever computer experiences involved playing "Number Farm" and "Stickybear ABC" on it.

Posted by basterd

The first one that iv owned was a HP Pavilion 8240. Works good just needs some tweaking

Posted by arctickaypro

hey jim, I used to have an apple ii as well. however, my first "computer" was a kaypro. we now use it as a stool.

Posted by brownoystercult

A piece of crap that could play Chips Challenge; which was all that mattered back then.

Posted by Corrupt

I don't remember what the first computer I ever used was, but I do remember the first computer we owned. It was an old '95 Macintosh Performa CD, and even though it couldn't run the internet for crap, it had several games on it that I'd love to play again, such as The 7th Guest, Myst, Giza, etc. I loved that thing to death.

God, I wish my mom hadn't given it away... it's like a piece of my childhood gone down the drain.

Posted by basterd

Most every computer in the 90's came with myst, I hated it but my mom loved playing every day when she had a enough money to buy a computer.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Corrupt: God, I wish my mom hadn't given it away... it's like a piece of my childhood gone down the drain.

I know exactly how you feel man.. My mom gave away our old Apple II with all the games we had, and most of those games are irreplaceable. Sure, I can probably find Oregon Trail, but most of those games I wouldn't have a shot in hell of ever finding again. At least she kept the 5.25 disk with all the crappy BASIC games I wrote when I was 10.

Posted by basterd

Crist I played Oregon Trail all up threw high school on a old computer. If you goto a school that still has a older apple copy the game onto a floppy.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Although my aunt let us borrow her computer for awhile, my family's first computer was a Hewlett Packard Windows '98, 300mhz, I believe.

Posted by Crazy K

Well my first computer was a Compac Computer and well I broke that because I pressed "suspend" and clicked yes, and it deleted some important stuff. Now I got a new computer (about 1 year old) and well I also broke it once because of Yahoo messanger.

But yeah thats it.

Posted by GameMiestro

An old Mac Classic, with Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Cannon Fodder, and Shufflepuck.

Always fun remembering when computers had no use aside from video games.

Posted by Trigger

How could you break a computer with Yahoo! Messenger, other than receiving a malicious file?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=basterd]Crist I played Oregon Trail all up threw high school on a old computer. If you goto a school that still has a older apple copy the game onto a floppy.
Dude, Oregon Trail is the ****. The mods you can get for it these days make it even more fun!

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Klarth]You are an idiot.

Don't worry, I can imagine you spending your childhood playing on Microsoft Word...

Posted by kinco

Mine was the Apple 2. Followed shortly by the short-lived IBM Super Home Computer lol. Who doesn't miss spending hundreds of hours on game like Hitchhiker's Guide?! lol

Posted by sniper

First computer I ever used was using some Macintosh OS, at least eleven years ago.

Posted by Arczu

Dangit... the first one we ever used was old... probably 286 with a dot-matrix printer. Not sure because I wasn't really paying attention to it when I broke it.

This was 11 years ago I'm sure. It had those really large floppies with those games on it.