Leaked footage from the new Super Mario Bros

Posted by Klarth

http://www.youtube.com/w/New-Super-Mario-Bros?v=ZuqFHNudl-E&search=nintendo

It was on Digg, so I thought I'd share. Looks good.

Posted by Speedfreak

Why do they always get people who suck to play?

Posted by Zeta

WTF? You can pick up Spinies after flipping them over now?

Posted by Klarth

...Haven't you always been able to do that?

Or maybe I'm just thinking of the arcade game...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Someone linked me to this a week ago. And I couldn't help but think what Speedy said.

Posted by Zeta

Yeah, who the hell would jump on a Pokey?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Speedfreak: Why do they always get people who suck to play?

This guy's worse than the one in that MKDS video before launch. Ugh.

Posted by Lord of Spam

.....It didnt seem like mario had a face for most of that...

Why was he looking away from the camera?

You're joking, surely.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Not really. If you've got a reason, please feel free to share. I dont really keep up on this sort of thing, so its pretty easy for me to have missed something.

It's a Mario game in the vein of the originals, with 3D models - think Sonic Rush in execution. He's always facing either left or right. And he does have a face, wtf.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I know he has a face, it the backof his hat that you're seeing. I mean why is he not looking forward or at the camera. He seems to be intentionally looking away from the player under most circumstances.

Except he's not. He's looking to the LEFT or RIGHT. You see his head from the side. It's just... obvious. At no point does he look 'into' the screen, except possibly while turning.

No, LoS is right. Mario's face seems to obscured by his hat most of the time. Obviously Mario is in profile, but it looks like Mario is looking AWAY from the player. He's looking at the background, not to the left or right.

Hmm. When he's small, I think his hat stays the same size, so it covers his whole head - a nice touch, I think. But as to when he's big - I think it's just a bad video. Personally I still can't see the 'looking-into-the-background' thing, but maybe that's because I know what to expect. Also, when he briefly stands still at the start he seems to look to his left and right in an impatient animation, rather than anything else.

There's also the possibility that he keeps his gaze on the nearest enemy, even, like Link does in WW.

Yeah, when he's standing still, or when he's bigger, he seems to be looking to the right. But when he's normal and running, he seems to be looking off into the background.

The enemy thing is doubtful, since it didn't look that way, and the large hat idea seems rather odd. Wouldn't he want a regular sized hat?

Hm. Is it me, or am I the only one who considers Mario after he's eaten a Mushroom the 'normal' Mario, and the small one - well, a small one? And that way, his normal hat would be big on him when he went small.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I think the story is supposed to be that the mushrooms make him grow, hence "super" mushrooms. The little mario is standard mario.

Well, in this game, the small Mario looks to be the normal Mario.

As for the other games, the big Mario would be the normal Mario.

Posted by Lord of Spam

No way, little mario is standard. Thats what the mushrooms were for. You dont eat mushrooms to become normal, you eat them to get big.

He's horribly small then.

Like, two feet tall. That's not normal.

Well, exactly. In SGC (and SML) the small Mario is horribly deformed. As I grew up with that version, that's probably why I think the bigger one is standard.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Speedfreak: Why do they always get people who suck to play?

seriously.

And yeah, I always thought that in the Mario Bros games the big mario was standard. And I really wish this guy didnt spend 5 hours trying to get that fire flower and then just waste it by getting hit. I really wanted to see it.

Quoted post: I really wanted to see it.

Me too. And it ends just as he got it again (or was about it).

Posted by Bebop

First off that player sucks.

Seconldy as far as looking into the background or foucosing on the nearest enemy is concerned, it's either. He's doing the same thing he does when he stands still in Mario 64 which is bob up and down looking left and right as if surveying his surrondings whihc is ironic when you consider his layout is restricted to the path in front of him.

Posted by Drewboy64

To be released in May