LiveWire Legal?

Posted by Xqars

My friends (and algebra teacher) have been recenly using LiveWire. I went there and found you can download music for free. They claim what they're doing is legal but downloading music for free doesn't sound legal to me for some reason. Is it? Has anyone been caught yet?

Posted by mis0

Downloading licensed music for free is illegal, period. But the chances of getting prosecuted are like one in a billion.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If you're talking about LimeWire, then no, its illegal. But its really not an issue anymore. Very few companies feel that it is worth their time to persue cases, especially since every 15 year old kid with an Ipod represents a few million dollars worth of copyright infringement.

So go, download. Be happy. Dont worry about the feds.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Just try to avoid downloading soon-to-be-released or newer movies.

Posted by Xqars

Quoting Lord of Spam: If you're talking about LimeWire, then no, its illegal. But its really not an issue anymore. Very few companies feel that it is worth their time to persue cases, especially since every 15 year old kid with an Ipod represents a few million dollars worth of copyright infringement.

So go, download. Be happy. Dont worry about the feds.

Maybe they were talking about Limewire, but this is also a livewire. Anyways, thanks.

Posted by Klarth

http://www.livewire.com/

Looks like he's talking about that - Looks pretty interesting, considering that there's a Porcupine Tree review on the front page...

And no, nobody really gives a **** as to whether or not you "illegally" download music. In fact, they only really care if you're the one sharing the sutff, at which point you might get an angry letter from the feds. The solution, of course, is to move to Canada where the government is sensible enough to realise that piracy has never killed anything - Sharing and downloading are both legal over there as long as you're not seeking profit.