Tetris DS

Posted by GameMiestro

[COLOR=#008000][IMG]http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/685/685689/tetris-ds-20060203060130347.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2006/010/930648_20060111_screen002.jpg[/IMG][/COLOR]
[quote=nintendo.com]The classic gets the full Nintendo DS treatment.

Features

[LIST]
[*]Innovative use of DS stylus and dual screens
[*]Six modes classic and all-new modes
[*]Incredible artwork inspired by favorite Nintendo games like Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda
[*]10 DS players can battle with only one Tetris DS card!
[*]Battle on the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection[/LIST]It's Tetris like you've never seen it before!

Each of the six modes of play features a theme based on a classic Nintendo game, such as Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda or Metroid. The traditional Tetriminos (falling blocks) and line-clearing strategy remain the staples of the game, but the touch screen adds a new element of interactivity.

Some modes give players special Tetris puzzles to solve. Others feature head-to-head action between two players, or massive wireless battles between 10 DS users, even if only one player has a game card. Players also can log onto Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to compete in two- or four-player battles. Tetris DS even includes a point-based rating system based on players' battle results. Opponents can see one another's ratings, which indicate their skill levels.

Every gamer, whether competitive or casual, will find a way to reconnect with one of the most popular puzzle games in history. Look for more details about the new game play modes on Nintendo.com in the weeks leading up to the game's release.

Touch Mode

How does one take Tetris to the next level? Sure, the 10-player wireless multiplayer function is sweet. Playing via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection with Tetris lovers around the world will no doubt be awesome. What takes this Tetris into uncharted territory, however, is the ability to touch the pieces.

With Balloon Fighter as the backdrop, Touch mode in Tetris DS challenges you to clear lines by moving a heap of puzzle pieces into empty slots. At the top of that heap is a cage of balloons. If you can get rid of most the pieces and make that cage hit the ground, the cage will open and the balloons will be set free.

You'll use a stylus to drag and move blocks from a giant stack to make them fall into horizontal lines. In early levels, you can tap blocks to rotate them just to fit into the open spaces. The mode really gets hard when this option is taken away and you have to better plan your moves. You have as much time as you need, so it plays very differently from the other frantic modes.

Check back to get more info on the other unique modes you'll find in Tetris DS.

I might actually get this game... it's the closest thing to an online Meteos game, and interesting themes.

Thoughts?

Posted by Linko_16

Awesome. No more Flash Tetris for me.

Posted by Ant

I look forward to it. I like the little extra nintendo things they threw in there.

Posted by junior senior

I want that.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Totally getting it, but you just KNOW the touch mode is going to suck.

Posted by GameMiestro

It might not... it worked for Meteos, didn't it?

Yeah, but Meteos was designed for touch-screen.

Posted by GameMiestro

Imagine though- people grabbing pieces and slamming (okay, "dragging") them into the pile on the bottom of the screen. There are a few problems with it, though... if someone just holds on to a piece and doesn't let it fall, it would mess up the game.

Yeah, it would be tough.

And rotating would be difficult, although a shoulder button would work.

Posted by Dark Link

Wow! I'll probably end up getting this. Looks much more fun =)
What i hope they don't do is the touch screen ability, unless it's optional and you can just play it with the control pads and ABXY buttons.
But for the puzzles...THAT I can see using the TS! Which I would like actually.

It's already been confirmed that it'll have both a standard mode and a touch mode.