Paper Mario & Characters

Posted by Dexter

I finally finished Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. I had a blast with the game. I adored the Boggly Woods, I enjoyed the Children's Literature aura, but most of all, I was delighted with the many characters in the game. Not just the ones on my team, but the characters I met along my journey, as well. There are many agreeable characters in the Mario series, which is a major aspect of Mario's greatness.

I enjoyed the team I had in The Thousand-Year Door better than the team I had in Paper Mario for the Nintendo 64. Maybe because I enjoy the Mario characters more today than I did back when I ventured through Paper Mario for the 64. And alas, I've never experienced Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. I'm looking forward to venturing through that game in the near future, probably after I finish up a few other priorities.

Koops and the Yoshi were definitely my favorite teammates. I used them whenever it was possible. I could only bring myself to bring in other members of the team when it seemed necessary or appropriate for the given situation, such as using Goombella for tattling. I ended up getting the blue Yoshi and I named him Yoshinia. I didn't know there were different Yoshi colours one could obtain until recently. I don't know what determines the colour, but if anyone knows, I'd be happy to learn about it. Also, can't you change his colour later in the game with the use of some sort of egg item you get on the southern island? I believe a character in the game was giving me hints to it, but I never got around to checking that out.

Anyway, Yoshinia was rad. He was born with more personality than many characters seem to accumulate for their entire lives. He was quite the fun and hasty character to have along the journey. His attitude was intense, but it never interfered with our purpose. In fact, it only helped motivate the team further. He installed the team with an ardent desire to save Princess Peach and explore the many scenic locations on the map. I imagine the team would be much duller without his presence. He got our blood flowing and pumped us all up to destroy those malevolent mushrooms and other evil minions.

I'm going to go back and visit all my friends again in a couple weeks, after I have a little rest. Even though we got the Peach and all, we still have plenty of activities planned, such as battling our way to the bottom of the Pit, collection more tattles, gaining the rest of the badges, trying out new recipes, earning more levels, and whatever else we feel like doing. Vivian and I have a date to go see the crows in Twilight Town. They were the most hilarious characters in the game. Vivian and I like to isolate ourselves in the shadows and eavesdrop. That's our giggle time. No matter how despondent the aura may be, no matter how miserable the Twilight Town citizens may feel, no matter how many loved ones were lost by the pig curse, there will always be laughter in the shadows.

How was your adventure and what characters did you get along with best? Did anyone else want to hit Flurrie with the hammer until she was nothing but a vile pile of ectoplasm?

Posted by Iris

I thought it was fun, until just now.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Dexter: Did anyone else want to hit Flurrie with the hammer until she was nothing but a vile pile of ectoplasm?

Hell yes. I know high-society charaters are supposed to have certain character flaws, but I prefer a foul-tempered boo to an obnoxious ghost... Bow was a more likable character.

My yoshi was also blue, and I named him "Kyoshi" for the almighty Kyoshiro of Samurai Shodown. I just figured I need a name that ended in "Oshi," as is customary with yoshi names (lawlz, Boshi). Anyway, I understand the pallet for Yoshi colors is the game's clock... though not displayed, every "x" number of hours will change the color your Yoshi would be. If certain players, such as you and I, play at the same rate, it's easy to end up with the same color. If you want one in particular, save before finding yoshi, then figure out what color you'd get normally. Check a guide to see how long you must wait for the color you want, then let the game stand idle until you're there.

Posted by Dexter

Aww. Iris, don't be boring. :(

I actually didn't mind the color of my Yoshi. I would like to see how other colors look on him, especially orange, but I would eventually turn him back into his original color, probably. He just looks so gnarly that way.

Ms. Mowz joined out party late Saturday night. We didn't have much time to get to know each other, but it seems she will come in handy when going back and searching for missed items. I'll have to get some sprites to level her up. She's got nothing on Gadget's intelligence or gorgeousness, but she's got a terrifically acute sniffer.

Posted by Corrupt

I loved Rawk Hawk. The Yoshies and Koops were also great, too.

That is all!

Posted by Zeta

Admiral Bobbery FTW. And Rock Hawk.

...RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWK!

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Dexter: She's got nothing on Gadget's intelligence or gorgeousness...

... Goombella?

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Linko_16: ... Goombella?

No way! I'm talking about Gadget.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/Gadgetmoonlight.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Linko_16

Oh. I thought you were talking about those within the realm of the game, not within the realm of... mice. :/

Posted by -Fierce_Deity_Link-

Goombella's my fave!

Posted by Meteordragon01

I have played beaten, and gotten everything (I think) and I found that Yoshi(Spike) was most helpful. Especially when you gave him the charge command and power him up like 3 times, making him do around 20 damage or more. Next in line in helpfulness was Ms. Mowz because of her ability to steal a foe's held item.

Posted by Dexter

7 months later and I finally defeat the Pit of 100 Trails. I have to say, it was the most difficult challenge the game had to offer. I was leveled up to 47 and I packed my gear up with green mushrooms in order to conquer it. Now I feel ready for Super Paper Mario!

Posted by Raptor

I just bought this game tonight (was going to get Zelda: TP for GC, but didn't feel like shelling out $50), so I guess it's my turn to experience its glory. I'm in the mood for a dazzling amount of vibrant, colourful cartoony entertainment.

Posted by Dexter

Good choice. I bet you'd really enjoy the wolf aspects in Twilight Princess, but Yoshi in Paper Mario is rad. Just stay away from new Sonic games.

Posted by Linkman

My favorite party character was Vivian, Yoshi was a close second. Her Veil proved very useful against the Shadow Queen, and that ****ing attack that did like 15 damage to you and your partner. The Shadow Queen was surprisingly difficult, but also fun. One of my favorite ending bosses.