Windows Live Messenger Invites

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, I just got a bunch, so if you want an invite just tell me.

Posted by Ant

What the f[COLOR="White"]u[/COLOR]ck is this sh[COLOR="White"]i[/COLOR]t?

MSN 8.0

Uh, it let's you send messages while appearing offline, send messages to people that are offline (so when they come online it'll show up), share files similarily to AIM, change the colour of the main/conversation window, edit and order your contacts the way you want (add nicknames and whatnot), et cetera, et cetera.

I only have three left, by the way.

Posted by higbvuyb

Yes, i've got some too.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I'll take one. :cool:

k, I'll send it some time tonight.

zomg one left!

Posted by ExoXile

Me plz :~*

Posted by Porcupine

I want one.

Posted by ExoXile

Well that is of course, you wield the guitar! :(

Quoted post: Me plz :~*

Send it to you when you log on.

Quoted post: I want one.

Hig will have to supply you, unless I get more soon.

Posted by Crazy K

I would like an Invite.

Posted by Richaod

http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=10565

Tells you about how to download it and the proxy thing that makes it work for people who haven't officially been invited. w00t.

Just went public. Download here:

http://g.msn.com/1csbeta/Mess80_EN

Posted by Klarth

ahhhhh my elitism! :(

Just means it's one step closer to final. Then I can finally get rid of everything I don't like about it.

Posted by Klarth

Hmm, I'm sick of having to use webmessenger on the public computers.

Oh Vampykins, d'you think you could do me an unimaginably huge favour and email me a zip of all the files in its "program files" folder? :(

Will do.

Posted by Klarth

Love you. :D

You haven't gotten it yet, have you? Because Hotmail won't let me send it, and Gmail looked like it sent it, but I don't think it did.

Oh, and I sent it to your hotmail account.

Posted by Klarth

Nope, nothing in my hotmail...

Try rapidsharing it?

It JUST let me send it. So it might be there now, or soon anyways. If not, yeah, I'll just use rapidshare.

Posted by Klarth

Still nothing in either account. :( Rapidshare time methinsk.

Yeah, it just bounced back. I'll PM you the link in a second.

Posted by nich

Downloaded and EVERYTHING!

Edit: So, who can I add?

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Klarth]Oh Vampykins, d'you think you could do me an unimaginably huge favour and email me a zip of all the files in its "program files" folder?
Why don't you ask him to copy his registry files for Windows Messenger, while you're at it? Considering that the installer just doesn't unpack program files. Better yet, I can host the executable installer file somewhere, seeing as I diligently saved it to my hard drive instead of running from the location. Seeing as it's [URL="http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Chat/Instant-Messaging/MSN-Messenger-8.shtml"]publicly available via Softpedia[/URL] though, I wonder why you would bother.

Microsoft also have [URL="http://www4.imagine-msn.com/minisites/messenger/default.aspx?locale=en-us"]a page[/URL] where you can request to use the beta and receive invites. You just have to enter in your e-mail address.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Trigger: Why don't you ask him to copy his registry files for Windows Messenger, while you're at it? Considering that the installer just doesn't unpack program files. Better yet, I can host the executable installer file somewhere, seeing as I diligently saved it to my hard drive instead of running from the location. Seeing as it's [URL="http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Chat/Instant-Messaging/MSN-Messenger-8.shtml"]publicly available via Softpedia[/URL] though, I wonder why you would bother.

Microsoft also have [URL="http://www4.imagine-msn.com/minisites/messenger/default.aspx?locale=en-us"]a page[/URL] where you can request to use the beta and receive invites. You just have to enter in your e-mail address.

Quoting Klarth: Hmm, I'm sick of having to use webmessenger on the public computers.

Oh Vampykins, d'you think you could do me an unimaginably huge favour and email me a zip of all the files in its "program files" folder?

Maybe, there are restrictions on the public compters stopping you from isntalling software.

It's also possible the it installs files to the C:\WINDOWS\ directory.

Posted by Trigger

If that were the case, the program would still fail to work, Higbvuyb. What part of file useage and installation don't you understand? If it puts any files in the Windows directory and uses them, he'd need to add them also if he planned to try a 'manual' install. If there are restrictions on the system that prevent changes to system files, particularly in the Windows directory, I highly doubt he'd be able to copy over some files into that particular path. Good network administrators who wish to lock-down machines would also prevent modification of the program files folder by users other than administrator, too. The account he uses would most likely (or should) have read-only access to that folder, and any other Windows "system" type folders.

Stop trying to refute my posts just for the sake of trying to assert some flawed knowledge. Don't you have anything better to do than try and best me in the field of computers and system administration? :rolleyes:

Troll.

Posted by Klarth

I tried installing it and yeah, it tried installing it onto the C: drive - I can't add anything to the registry, so I just extracted all the files to my network drive. Now all I need to do is figure out how to set it up for my school's proxy server - ****ing Microsoft want to make you set the details through IE, but I don't have the right permissions to do that. :(

Quoted post: Microsoft also have a page where you can request to use the beta and receive invites. You just have to enter in your e-mail address.

That's what you had to do before. Send in a request, wait a few days, and download. Now it's immediate.

Posted by nich

I've got toubles, I downloaded it yesterday and it was working fine but today I can't sign in. It gives me this message when I try "The passport ID used to sign in is not allowed to access this Beta version of Messenger. 810003cc."

Anybody know whats going on?

http://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts

Doesn't appear to be very helpful... *shrugs*

Posted by Richaod

Quoting nich: I've got toubles, I downloaded it yesterday and it was working fine but today I can't sign in. It gives me this message when I try "The passport ID used to sign in is not allowed to access this Beta version of Messenger. 810003cc."

Anybody know whats going on?

Did you actually sign up officially and get a confirmation email from Microsoft? They only let registered users log in to MSN Beta, and you're obviously not registered for one reason or another.

Quoted post: Did you actually sign up officially and get a confirmation email from Microsoft? They only let registered users log in to MSN Beta, and you're obviously not registered for one reason or another.

It's public though. You shouldn't have to do that anymore.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Trigger: If that were the case, the program would still fail to work, Higbvuyb. What part of file useage and installation don't you understand? If it puts any files in the Windows directory and uses them, he'd need to add them also if he planned to try a 'manual' install. If there are restrictions on the system that prevent changes to system files, particularly in the Windows directory, I highly doubt he'd be able to copy over some files into that particular path. Good network administrators who wish to lock-down machines would also prevent modification of the program files folder by users other than administrator, too. The account he uses would most likely (or should) have read-only access to that folder, and any other Windows "system" type folders.
However, this is not true of all computer networks. For example, it was/is possible to install programs on my school network. Also, if a file goes into the C:\WINDOWS\ directory, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will overwrite some files. It may only place them there. Note, I never said that he should copy any files that it puts in that directory. So, your entire point fails. I jsut pointed out that without those (possibly existing) files, it may not work.

The same may also be said about your suggestion of adding registry entries. Wouldn't a good system administrator lock the registry down too?

Quoted post: Stop trying to refute my posts just for the sake of trying to assert some flawed knowledge. Don't you have anything better to do than try and best me in the field of computers and system administration? :rolleyes:

Incorrect. I added to what you said about registry entries, and I also suggested a reason why he might be only copying the folder containing the fiels, instead of installing it. You're the one who jumps at the idea of arrogantly trying to prove your superiority in the field of computers over me, and in that process, misreading my post, and making yourself look like a ****ing idiot. I don't deny that you know more than me about computers, but you don't have to be a arrogant retard about it.

[quote]Troll.

Quoting Wikipedia: In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who posts rude or offensive messages on the Internet, such as in online discussion forums, to disrupt discussion or to upset its participants (see Anonymous Internet posting).

You. Lose.

Posted by nich

I got an e-mail back, they told me Messenger Live isn't public and I wasn't invited to use it, so I can't.

Posted by Trigger

Quoting higbvuyb]However, this is not true of all computer networks.
Enough said. If you happened to read my post carefully enough, I said "if that were the case." If, Higbvuyb and Klarth already confirmed I was correct with my point by saying he had to resort to his network drive. My comment about about asking Vampiro to copy his registry files is sarcasm, and one that you should have picked up on. Anyone who asks, "can you copy your programs files and the related registry files?" is clearly an idiot, especially if they expect it to work on a school network. Also, what happens on your network is not globally followed on every other network, and most administrators learn to tighten system and network security over time. It wouldn't surprise me if your school network has similar settings in effect, by now.

[quote]I also suggested a reason why he might be only copying the folder containing the fiels, instead of installing it.
Come on Higbvuyb, it will either work or it won't - which statement are you going to make here? If you're going to make a point that there may be preventions to the Windows directory, you're implying that files would need to be written there. If nothing is written and/or executed in that foler, there'd be no need to mention it - that's like mentioning your music folder might have restrictions when trying to install MSN Messenger. It's irrelevant unless you're making a point that it's potentially used for the program to function properly and thus may require adequate files and permission access, which is what my post has said all along.

I still fail to see your reason as to why he might be copying the folder containing the files. If there are restrictions to a folder that prevent writing and executing, he wouldn't even be allowed to copy or create any files within that folder. Do you even understand the concept behind file and folder permissions, especially on NTFS? By the looks of your posts, which seem to backflip wildly, I would firmly believe you have no clue at all. Denying write and execute applies on a folder to everything within that folder, not just installation executables. Even with execute set to allow, the most Klarth would be allowed to do is open the file and read the contents. No writing of any kind can be made.

Also, I didn't say that any files copied to the Windows directory would only overwrite system files. I said that if there are restrictions disabling changes to system files within that directory, I highly doubt he'd be unable to do something as simple as write some files to the directory. It's cute how you tell me I jump to conclusions and misread your post, it really is: [quote=Wikipedia]In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who posts rude or offensive messages on the Internet, such as in online discussion forums, to disrupt discussion or to upset its participants (see Anonymous Internet posting).You. Lose.

Out of the two of us, I'm not the one who resorts to poor attempts of calling you a childish "insultive" name. This isn't the first time you've tried to support your arguments against mine by stooping as low as calling me a "fucking moron," "fucking idiot," "arrogant retard" or whatever intellectually belittling name you pathetically try to use. As far as I see it, my posts actually debate on a much more civil and level headed platform than yours do.

Do you see me resorting to calling you names in every post toward you that I make? Oh, and there isn't arrogance in stating the facts. Don't get upset when I rightfully point out the truth about security settings and adequate network administration proceedures. If I wanted to be arrogant about it, I'd resort to what you do. Is there any thread within this board that you haven't ruined with your two cents, yet?

Posted by Crazy K

Now if I were to download this new MSN Messanger would it delete any of the pictures I have as my avatar?

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I have 50 or 60 left. if anyone wants any.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Velvet Nightmare]I have 50 or 60 left. if anyone wants any.

I would like one If I can't get it to work. My e-mail is [email]bigd2k6@gmail.com[/email]. My Hotmail account is [email]Big_D_2k6@hotmail.com[/email] (is the one I use through MSN messanger)

Also im getting that same error message that Nich was. What do I do to fix it?

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Trigger]Enough said. If you happened to read my post carefully enough, I said "if that were the case." If, Higbvuyb and Klarth already confirmed I was correct with my point by saying he had to resort to his network drive. My comment about about asking Vampiro to copy his registry files is sarcasm, and one that you should have picked up on. Anyone who asks, "can you copy your programs files and the related registry files?" is clearly an idiot, especially if they expect it to work on a school network. Also, what happens on your network is not globally followed on every other network, and most administrators learn to tighten system and network security over time. It wouldn't surprise me if your school network has similar settings in effect, by now.
What you think is not globally followed by administrators either.

Quoted post: Come on Higbvuyb, it will either work or it won't - which statement are you going to make here? If you're going to make a point that there may be preventions to the Windows directory, you're implying that files would need to be written there. If nothing is written and/or executed in that foler, there'd be no need to mention it - that's like mentioning your music folder might have restrictions when trying to install MSN Messenger. It's irrelevant unless you're making a point that it's potentially used for the program to function properly and thus may require adequate files and permission access, which is what my post has said all along.

Which is, what I meant.

Quoted post: I still fail to see your reason as to why he might be copying the folder containing the files. If there are restrictions to a folder that prevent writing and executing, he wouldn't even be allowed to copy or create any files within that folder. Do you even understand the concept behind file and folder permissions, especially on NTFS? By the looks of your posts, which seem to backflip wildly, I would firmly believe you have no clue at all. Denying write and execute applies on a folder to everything within that folder, not just installation executables. Even with execute set to allow, the most Klarth would be allowed to do is open the file and read the contents. No writing of any kind can be made.

Because, some programs do not need to be in the Program Files folder to work. For example, it may possibly run off a flash drive, which I think I have seen working.

Quoted post: Also, I didn't say that any files copied to the Windows directory would only overwrite system files. I said that if there are restrictions disabling changes to system files within that directory, I highly doubt he'd be unable to do something as simple as write some files to the directory. It's cute how you tell me I jump to conclusions and misread your post, it really is:
And this is relevant to this quote because?

[QUOTE]Out of the two of us, I'm not the one who resorts to poor attempts of calling you a childish "insultive" name. This isn't the first time you've tried to support your arguments against mine by stooping as low as calling me a "fucking moron," "fucking idiot," "arrogant retard" or whatever intellectually belittling name you pathetically try to use. As far as I see it, my posts actually debate on a much more civil and level headed platform than yours do.

It is amusing how you don't notice childishness when it is you swearing. ALso, I didn't actually intend that my posts say that, indicated by the fact that I didn't bother trying to evade the censor, unlike you, in many situations.

[quote]Do you see me resorting to calling you names in every post toward you that I make?
I'd think someone as smart as you would recognise that this is irrelevant, as I did not call you a troll.

Oh, and there isn't arrogance in stating the facts. Don't get upset when I rightfully point out the truth about security settings and adequate network administration proceedures. If I wanted to be arrogant about it, I'd resort to what you do. Is there any thread within this board that you haven't ruined with your two cents, yet?

Incorrect. An action may not be an arrogant action, but that doesn't mean it cannot be performed arrogantly. I'm not the one being arrogant. You are.

Also, you're the one who jumped in with your post, without actually understanding what I meant.

Posted by Trigger

:rolleyes:

Negative Trend, do something about this, for the love of God.

Quoted post: Now if I were to download this new MSN Messanger would it delete any of the pictures I have as my avatar?

No, obviously.

Posted by Crazy K

Ok I downloaded the messanger.I signed up, So when will this e-mail come?

Couple days, maybe?

... though, shouldn't you be able to use it once you installed it?

Posted by nich

I dont know, I couldn't. The email from Msoft told me it wasn't public and I needed an invitation, which confuses me. Why would I be able to install it and use it if I need an invitation? Its like they let me smell the pie then ripped it away when I was about to dig the fork in. Oh well I'll get an invitation and It'll be good.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Vampiro]though, shouldn't you be able to use it once you installed it?

Yeah you should be able to. I mean I downloaded it and well it takes over as your new MSN messanger and deletes the old one, you should atleast be able to log in.

Posted by nich

Quoting Crazy K: Yeah you should be able to. I mean I downloaded it and well it takes over as your new MSN messanger and deletes the old one, you should atleast be able to log in.

agreed.

Hm, don't know what to tell you guys then. I heard it was public, so I figured it would be the same as every other MSN.

Actually, I have two invites left. Wait a few days, and if you don't get anything from MS, PM me and I'll send them to you.

Posted by Crazy K

I actually just got the e-mail, that was actually quite fast. Oh my *** all of my friends are gone off the list. How do I resolve this incident?

Posted by nich

Yeah, I got the email too Messenger is now fixed, and my contacts remained intact. Sorry K I don't know how to help.

Posted by Crazy K

Im hoping that all my contacts come back, cause sometimes MSN does that, cuase when all of my Avy's were deleted way back they came back after a wile later, so im hoping that my list comes back tomarrow or later.

Quoted post: so im hoping that my list comes back tomarrow or later.

Should have saved them incase something like this does happen. Then it's just an easy import.

Posted by ExoXile

I've got everything but my emoticons intact.
Which is way easy to fix. XD

The deletion of yer contact list, CK.
Couldn't really be because of Messenger Live, rather some kind of server problem.
Since you've had it before.
Either that, or you created a new E-mail. XP

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Exo]The deletion of yer contact list, CK.
Couldn't really be because of Messenger Live, rather some kind of server problem.
Since you've had it before.
Either that, or you created a new E-mail. XP

What do you suggest I do then? Well it does say "connection Error" near the clock on the MSN 8.0

Is there at all a way to fix it and get my contact list back?

And no I never changed my e-mail. I have [email]Big_D_2k6@hotmail.com[/email], and thats the one I had for a wile now.

Also here is the e-mail I got back from MSN about the problem:

If you see an empty contact list after upgrading to Windows Live Messenger, follow the steps below:

1. Sign out of Messenger
2. Click Start and Run and type in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\ and hit Enter
3. This will open a new Windows Explorer window
4. In the window that opens double click on your Messenger ID.
5. Double click on the Contacts folder.
6. Delete the two folders you see inside the Contacts folder.

I got to number 5 but there was no folders whatsoever in the other folder. Aw I feel so pist.

Also I noticed that when I sign out it says - "Messanger Beta - Signed in"

Also should I seriously just re-download MSN 7.5, because this is seriously ****ing me off.

**** it im just going to re-download MSN 7.5, im not going to waste my **** time trying to get this new one to work when all it does is delete all of my friends.

k, so for those of you who dislike certain things about the new MSN, or want certain features back, the new Mess Patch is out: http://mess.be/

Just download it and you can pretty much remove or change anything you want.

Posted by Arczu

Might be a bit late asking this but, would you guys happen to have any invites left?

I heard things about the Beta, but it might be useful.

Try the link I provided. You should be able to use it without an invite. If not, just PM me and I'll send you one.