College options

Posted by mis0

Okay, so I'm sort of divided here on exactly what I should do. I graduate in 3 months and then I gotta find a college to go to. My cumulative GPA is a 3.0 and I pulled a 26 on the ACT. So I'm in the 75th percentile for admissions to UNM, and I could easily get into the local community college, TVI.

As it is, I currently have a full scholarship to either school, and additional funds. So anything is an option.

What I'm wondering is if I should go straight to dorm life and move downtown to the campus or take the first semester of classes at TVI and live at home? I just don't know what to do and I really outta decide soon.

Posted by Ant

A lot of people like to bash community college, but it takes care of some credits that are used for the future colleges. BUT, since it's all taken care of already. Just step up to the big leagues, if you think you're ready, in a sense.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Community college can save you lots of money and effort. But neer underestimate the value of living in a dorm and getting wasted regularly. Its more fun than it sounds.

Posted by KoH

I vote that you and me get an apartment and get into life the hard way. And I'm dead serious about that. :) Cause I'm in the same situation as you, except my grades are bad, 'cause schools one of those things that I really do not care about.

So here's the deal... we meet up and move to New York with Pit and **** and we go do crazy **** while renting out a tubular apartment.

BE SPECIAL. DON'T BE A GENERIC TEENAGER THAT GOES TO COLLEGE. IT'S GAY.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Live at home and save as much money as you possibly can. Once you have a good chunk of change in the bank, move into a dorm or an apartment. You won't get another chance to save up money after you move out, so take advantage of the opportunity while you can.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Thats the upside. The downside is that you still have to do what they say, basicallym, and have no freedom.

Whereas in a dorm, you do whatever you want:cool:

Quoted post: Thats the upside. The downside is that you still have to do what they say, basicallym, and have no freedom.

Assuming you have strict parents.

Posted by MetalVox~55

community college + transfer = the way to go.

Posted by Altinure

if you're planning on going to graduate school, community college is not the way to go at all.

Posted by -])arkSide-

Quoting MetalVox~55: community college + transfer = the way to go.

Exactally what I'm planning on doing.

Posted by mis0

Hrm. It is more of an issue than I thought. Well, it boils down to this:

I already have a signifigant amount of money saved up for whatever. Some, naturally, will be used for books, but the rest is just there. So I don't really *need* to save, but on the other hand, free money is always good too. Also, the commute to TVI is shorter than even to my school, and I mightn't even need to work (hard to say at this point). My parents aren't terrible, they let me do what I want most of the time. But, I do want to leave. Also, I am considering graduate school, maybe to get a master in business so maybe I should go straight over there.

Huh.

One thing I'm not doing is anything like ignoring college. I'm lazy and I'll never go back if I don't start now. Besides, my friends here want me to be losers like them and share a house. I don't play well with others.

But, thanks, this has opened my eyes to some pros and cons.

Posted by specopssv44

Join the Marine Corps......but if you decide against that Id stay at home for a bit longer.....enjoy it while you can!

Posted by The Judge

Huh, I'm the only one who says leech off your folks, eh?

Posted by Ant

No, I do as well. To some extent. It's basically having your *** covered for all your needs, but as far as WANTS go, then it comes from your own pocket(or in this case mine).

Posted by The Judge

Or, as in my case, your wants are simply unrealistic.

Quoted post: I already have a signifigant amount of money saved up for whatever.

Over 15K? It may sound like a lot to save up, but you'll be greatful.

Posted by mis0

I really don't like discussing it, but yeah, not far from. ^_^

Move out then. Enjoy the college life and all it has to offer.

Posted by KoH

GrAteful, jerk.

WHAT ABOUT MY IDEA?! WTF, MIS. YOU KNOW YOU AND I WOULD BE LIKE ****ING ELECTRIC ALL THE TIME. Seriously... :(

Posted by Dexter

Living in the college dorms isn't so bad. I don't live in one myself for I prefer to live in a more isolated place, but I do spend much of my time within the dorms with some acquaintances. I could never live there myself for I own far too much. You'll younger and still starting out in life so the dormitories might be a decent thing for you to do. People can get wild in there, though, and the tension between people might get intense. I wouldn't have many problems with that because I get along with just about anyone, I can sleep through just about anything, and I'm not easily distracted from my own practices.

Posted by Raptor

I've never lived in a dorm. That's one living situation I have always tried to avoid. I went through a couple of semesters of technical school before deciding it wasn't for me. I then gave community college a whirl, and knocked out much of the required bull**** like basic composition and math. During this time I roomed with a couple relatives, and it was quite a positive living situation, since they were usually quiet enough to allow me to study. I cared far more about studying and learning than "getting wasted," anyhow. Still, I will admit to screwing around and slacking for most of my community college days, but still transferred to university with a 3.40 GPA, and took more interesting electives there. I'm now living in my own apartment and just secured a full-time job, so as unconventional and irregular as the route I took was, it worked out well for me in the end.

I could easily recommend commuity college to university transfer, but it depends on your ambitions. As Altinure stated, it's probably not the best way to go if your focus is graduate school.

Posted by NES Queen

in all honesty, where your degree is from is not as important as the simple fact that you have one. so whether you opt for a community college or go ivy league, at the end of it all its just a piece of paper. what matters is what you do with yourself during your time there. the organizations you get involved in, the internships available to you, job placement programs... things of that nature (which would typicaly be better, or at least more choices, at a bigger more prestigeous school).

as for the whole living on campus vs living at home.... you'd be a fool to not live on campus. especially since you say you'll be getting a free ride either way. if you had to foot the room & board bill, then thats a different story. its not just about partying and getting drunk, its about growing up. becoming a responsible adult, often times by learning your lesson the hard way from partying and getting drunk, but thats besides the point. even if you're only 30min away from mom and pop, the fact that you're still on your own is huge. plus it makes you more likely to actually get involved while at school, which means you'll make more friends, and have more fun. as a commuter, you tend to go to class, get in your car, and go home.

even though the point to college is to essentially learn a trade to prepare yourself for the working world, its really about the socializing and learning about yourself. when i think back to my college years, i dont think of my classes and tests and the stupid trivia facts i had to memorize. i think of the friends i made, the fun times we had, and how much i've grown up and become an adult.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I live off campus, and not with my parents. I live with my girlfriend, in an apartment about 20 minutes from school and about 20 mins from my Dad's place. I always have the option of living with my dad if I need to, but I only had to once, due to some SERIOUS personal issues.

[quote=Raptor]
I could easily recommend commuity college to university transfer, but it depends on your ambitions. As Altinure stated, it's probably not the best way to go if your focus is graduate school.

Well, that's the route I'm going. I may attend grad school, just for the pay raises. I'm going to be an educator, and every credit you get beyond your bachelors, all the way up to your Master's + 80, is a raise.

But I imagine that I won't attend grad school until I've been teaching a few years. I'd like to take some time off from the role of the student, considering that's all I've been my whole life.

The community college that I attend is one of the nicest in the country, I'm told. And it's only $38/credit, as opposed to $183/credit for Northern Arizona University, University of Arizona, or Arizona State University. And every credit I've taken is transferrable to university, so when I go to get my Bachelor's Degree, 64 of my needed 120 credits will already be satisfied.

I didn't want to live the dorm life, Miso. It's not bad at my college, because each room has a private bathroom and is relatively spacious, in the spectrum of dorms. But still, it's too cramped for my lifestyle. And at universities, it's much worse, I understand. I've been to the dorms at NAU and ASU taking some tours and gathering information to determine if I wanted to go there as opposed to the college I currently go to. And the dorms at the universities that I've seen are just horrid. They have community showers. You have to shower with a bunch of other people. And they're all small and cramped as hell. You have room for a bed, a dresser/desk combo, and a 13 inch TV. And that's it. It's junky living.

However, I did consider the prospect of staying with my folks, too. But I like my freedom. I like being able to have a friend come over at 1 AM to play Age of Empires if I want to (which I often do, in fact, we just finished up a game of Starcraft 20 minutes ago). My parents would probably be okay with me doing this, but I'd feel akward doing it if I lived at home. As well, you can't smoke as much pot when you live at home. You can smoke some, usually, but when you have your own place, there aren't many limiations on the weed smoking sessions.

Unless you have a daughter. So I really dont' even smoke weed anymore :( But I guess it's better that way.

Honestly, Miso, only you can figure out what accomodates your lifestyle the best. I can tell you what I know, but there are some people who love dorm-life. And there are others who prefer the freeloading life of no bills, living with the folks. But I chose the road I did, and I'm satisfied with it.

Posted by The underground

If your getting everything free just go to the dorm and live the full collage life.
That is what i did but i had to pay for the dorm. But i didnt get wasted as often as you first imagen. The dorm life really isnt that bad.