Is the DS worth it?

Posted by Burrito

When I first heard of the DS, I thought it was going to be the best thing ever. I was all hyped up for the WiFi play. I tried playing my friend's DS and the controls for the games seemed pretty awkward. He really wants me to get it and assures me that you get used to the controls, but I'm not sure. Even though the DS has the ability for WiFi play, doesn't mean it's going to use it. Gamecube has the ability to play online, but there's only like one online game for it (without using warppipe).I think that I might just stick to the Gamecube. I don't have faith in the DS.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Hmm... for $150, it can't not be worth it, really. If you're talking about Mario DS, yes, the controls take some getting used to - but there are three types of control, one of which doesn't use the touch screen, and there's definitely one to suit you. This is also the case with Metroid Hunters. Wario Ware (which you absolutely HAVE to play) will sell you, if you're not swayed by now...

Just go into your local EBGames and ask for a demo of the store's machine. They'll be happy to do it.

Posted by Night Owl

Money wise i think the ds is worth it but i really dont want one. but thats just me

Posted by Burrito

$150 is still a lot for my standards, especially when I could be spending that money on three gamecube games.

Posted by Pit

At it's current state, it's definately not worth it. If you buy it, most chances is that you'll get Mario 64 DS and Wario Ware Touched, after that then, you're gonna have to wait for games.

Posted by Shade

Feel the Magic is also supposed to be excellent. But for you, I'd recommend buying one in the fall. Then a decent amount of games will have been released. Along with Wario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Mario, Advanced Wars, etc.

Posted by Map42892

if you think ds is going to be the best game ever, you were wrong. it isn't a game (i knew you knew that.). About the controls, they usually have different ways of setting them up for that game, and if not you usually get used to them. if your not sure for now, you might just want to wait till it goes to $100. won't be long now, eh?

75th Post!!!

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Map42892: if you think ds is going to be the best game ever, you were wrong. it isn't a game (i knew you knew that.).

OOPS! Uhhh.... edit. I can't believe you were the first person to notice that.

Anyways, I was going to request it for my birthday, but I really wanted starfox assault and resident evil 4. I requested them instead. I'm still wondering if that was the better decision.

Posted by Map42892

people don't really care about looking at the words carefully, but his SAGETNESS and myself enjoy to read the fine lettering. By the way, you might want to fix that quote of yours by putting a slash on the second [QUOTE].

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Burrito: [QUOTE=Map42892]if you think ds is going to be the best game ever, you were wrong. it isn't a game (i knew you knew that.).

OOPS! Uhhh.... edit. I can't believe you were the first person to notice that.

Anyways, I was going to request it for my birthday, but I really wanted starfox assault and resident evil 4. I requested them instead. I'm still wondering if that was the better decision.

He wasn't the first to notice it, it's just the rest of us aren't SAD ENOUGH to point it out, because we all knew what you meant. :P

The DS is really a 'don't knock it until you've tried it' kind of thing. And it's also so different to anything else you really can't take anyone else's word for it - you have to try it out for yourself and make your own decisions. Like I said, go into EBGames and ask them for a demo.

As to the games... yes, Mario 64 and Wario Ware are the only real must-haves. But I, for example, am getting Polarium on launch day also (it's two weeks away - I live in England), and Mario Kart DS is supposed to be following in April some time... and Rayman DS is always going to be good - Rayman 2 was awesome, and I hear it's been modified to extend it rather like Mario 64 has.

Don't forget the new Castlevania, and the Zelda that's in the works. And Metroid. DS is awesome... really. I'd pay

Posted by Shade

Wings, you're getting Mario Kart DS in April? Lucky, the states are getting it in September along with Animal Crossing. Crap, that's just so far away.

Wait, what? I must be wrong. There's NEVER a gap of that much when we get something early. Minish Cap was only about three months, and Jungle Beat was only a few weeks. Let me check up on that.

EDIT: SpecialReserve are listing it as 29/7/2005... which points toa simulteneous release, possibly. Online capabilities, anyone?!

Posted by Al Borland

IGN has Mario Kart DS listed for September 12. IGN does have a history with having false release dates but that is only after a company decides to change it at the last minute.

Posted by Shade

EBGames also has Mario Kart listed for 9/12/2005. And they're pretty acurate for a store. So I'm going on that.

The real tradegy is that I can't get Animal Crossing until September. :mad:

...that still means that the UK get it in July, and the US in September.

...awesome.

Posted by metroid man

Quoting Burrito: When I first heard of the DS, I thought it was going to be the best thing ever. I was all hyped up for the WiFi play. I tried playing my friend's DS and the controls for the games seemed pretty awkward. He really wants me to get it and assures me that you get used to the controls, but I'm not sure. Even though the DS has the ability for WiFi play, doesn't mean it's going to use it. Gamecube has the ability to play online, but there's only like one online game for it (without using warppipe).I think that I might just stick to the Gamecube. I don't have faith in the DS.

ABSOLOUTLEY! I own a DS and it is GREAT! Man, is it worth it! -but maybe it would be a good idea to wait untill a wider selection of games come out

Posted by the_last_metroid__2

i think the ds is worth it sure some controls are tough to learn but i was always facinated by touch screens so i was happy when i got mine.and they have sweet features too like chat rooms and a clock. but if you think thats expensive look up a psp $300 no touch screen WTF!!?? SAME BORING CONTROLS, DISCS!! nintendo knows what thier doing.

Posted by Lemon-Aid

I think mainly having experiences on both, that the PSP is the best, expensive but great, controls the the same and the graphics better, the DS is good, but the gameplay with all those controls might be hard for somepeople, like me :-(

Posted by Random

I'd like to agree with Wings. Don't knock it unless you've tried it. I don't personally think its worth it, but take his advice and play it. I think it's not worth it but upcoming games could persuade otherwise. Play one at your local EB, look up upcoming games and decide that way.

Posted by Darth Vader

Quoting the_last_metroid__2: i think the ds is worth it sure some controls are tough to learn but i was always facinated by touch screens so i was happy when i got mine.and they have sweet features too like chat rooms and a clock. but if you think thats expensive look up a psp $300 no touch screen WTF!!?? SAME BORING CONTROLS, DISCS!! nintendo knows what thier doing.

YES! This is very true... plus with PSP you have to buy a lot of other junk.

Posted by Random

Quoting the_last_metroid__2: i think the ds is worth it sure some controls are tough to learn but i was always facinated by touch screens so i was happy when i got mine.and they have sweet features too like chat rooms and a clock. but if you think thats expensive look up a psp $300 no touch screen WTF!!?? SAME BORING CONTROLS, DISCS!! nintendo knows what thier doing.

ok so after listening to your statement I realize you bore me. No really you do. The PSP is $250 not 300. And that comes with Memory Units and all. Discs can hold more space then cartridges for Games. The Same boring Controls? I find that a huge huge plus. I mean I already know where everything is. The Touch screen isn't that great of an Idea. I mean i'm not gonna be rude but.. Think about it. Think about what you said...

Posted by Pit

DS, worth it, in it's current state? Not for nothing, as much I like Nintendo, they screwed up bad releasing it early. I've never been bored with a handheld they've made up to now. What do they expect me to do, replay Mario 64 again?

Touch Screen = Great idea. How is it being used so far? Best game to use it was Wario Ware, and even then, I grew tired of it after beating it completely in 8 hours.

Sweet features like Chat Rooms and gee wiz, a CLOCK? YOU MEAN LIKE ONE THAT TELLS TIME? I have a watch and the PSP has a built in clock as well. So far, the DS has been out for a long time and only 2 games worthy of purchase. How does Nintendo know what they're doing? So far it's been a bumpy ride, a real bumpy ride. It may be cheap, but at the cost of boredom... well, I just don't know.

I paid $250 for my PSP, bought two games, haven't beaten em', but when I do I have other great titles to choose from. Sure it doesn't have a touch screen but it has a a large, bright, gorgeous screen. I didn't know the controls had to be exciting. Both systems have their faults and ups. PSP's fault is their amazingly large dead pixel problem and it's price. The DS has... well, 2 games worth getting that are out. Right now, I think I got my money's worth with my PSP. It's hard sticking with a system when you get a mediocre demo (an FPS Metroid game... what ever happened to it's adventure controls) , Mario 64, and Wario Ware.

Posted by Random

Ah the Pixle problem is a problem but it's due to turning up the brightness on the PSP. It says in the manual not to do it but who reads those anyways? And why have that Option if it destroys Pixles. But I agree with you PIT.

Call me set in my ways, but I wasn't as impressed with the PSP as I was with the DS. As soon as I got a DS in my hands I thought 'Wow. This is awesome.' It was so intuitive and gave so much more joy to play than plain buttons. That first play - and countless others, since I go back to Wario Ware for a quick tap, rub and blow every now and again, like a favourite working girl - just blew me away. I didn't put it down for three hours. And I was stood in the shop, playing on the store clerk's imported unit.

Compare it to the PSP, and I was - well yes, impressed, but it didn't blow me away. It was just natural progression, and it wasn't new or exciting, really. I played it for maybe ten minutes before handing it back to its owner. Admittedly I went back for another quick go, but that was only really to test the music playback. And I get the same sound quality on my cellphone...

Posted by Arczu

You know... it may be worth it for most people. I have started to see lots of people carrying one around recently. One time, I saw two people with DSs while walking from school. They came close, and they actually stopped walking to play a game together! Seriously, I think those were complete strangers.

Aside from the many games being considered ports, more good ones are on the way in the future. And it's something you can do on the side too, so I wouldn't pass too harsh a judgement on this hand-held.

Posted by Random

Well I doubt it's worth it now. I was talking to employee's at all the local game stores and they hear Nintendo is going to make a new gameboy by the end of the year, which doesn't suprise me. Nintendo thinks the DS is a Flop and it pretty much is. The low amount of games plus the poor quality of games is killing the sales. The PSP has caught up within a million and it hasn't been out 1/8 aslong as the DS. Only within that amount of time in Japan.

I haven't seen anyone carry a DS. I only know one person with a DS. I know numerous people with PSP's. It's not worth it to me. The Game market is poor and there isn't much support. It plays 64-bit games which the PSP can handle far greater. Thats just my oppinion...

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Wings: Call me set in my ways, but I wasn't as impressed with the PSP as I was with the DS. As soon as I got a DS in my hands I thought 'Wow. This is awesome.' It was so intuitive and gave so much more joy to play than plain buttons. That first play - and countless others, since I go back to Wario Ware for a quick tap, rub and blow every now and again, like a favourite working girl - just blew me away. I didn't put it down for three hours. And I was stood in the shop, playing on the store clerk's imported unit.

Compare it to the PSP, and I was - well yes, impressed, but it didn't blow me away. It was just natural progression, and it wasn't new or exciting, really. I played it for maybe ten minutes before handing it back to its owner. Admittedly I went back for another quick go, but that was only really to test the music playback. And I get the same sound quality on my cellphone...

I was the exact same way. I believe it's because PSP had been severely overhyped, so you're expecting a God of a system, and DS has caught a LOT of flak so you'd expect something which doesn't even work.

Posted by verystrait42

yes the DS is worth it! it is very good and a lot of good games are coming out. i suggest getting bomberman it is awsome

Posted by Drewboy64

The DS is worth it. Trust me.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Well, I think its worth it. A friend of mine thought that the touch screen idea was stupid, but when he actually played two of my games that utilize the touch screens effects (Meteos and Kirby Canvas Curse) he would not stop playing them. Just because of Meteos he actually considered buying a DS, and he would if he had the money he says. Another friend of mine was always saying "The PSP is better then the DS".I brought my DS to school one day (Giant test, what am I supposed to do?) and he actually stopped saying that the DS sucked and started to say that the PSP and DS were even.

I wish I had an extra DS, so that when I invite some friends over, I'd be able to play some wireless matches with them. The multiplayer on some of the games are incredibley fun (Meteos, Polarium, and Mario 64 DS (I like to jump on peoples heads))

So I actually agree with Wings on the "Don't knock it unless you've tried it". Just because my expierance proves that to be a fact.

Posted by Drewboy64

The DS is worth it. It's got better controls for FPS's than PSP, that's for sure. Plus, the games coming out - metroid, mario kart, mario bros, castlevania (to name a few) - are fantastic. There are great games out right now, too, like Meteos and Kirby and Wario Ware and Mario.

The PSP is not better than the DS, by the way, because it has no games worth playing, unless you like Gretsky. There are only a few good games like Lumines, but Meteos is way better than Lumines.

Posted by Anti-Guy

Here's my suggestion. When all the GOOD games come out for it, like Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario Kart, Castlevania DS, etc... THEN buy one.

I got a DS for Christmas, beat Super Mario 64, and HAVEN'T TOUCHED IT SINCE.

That being said, I was more impressed with the DS then I was with the PSP when I got my hands on it. It's a great concept, love the touch screen. It just doesn't have good support, and Nintendo knows that they kinda struck out with it.

Wait until the big hits come out, THEN buy it.

Posted by Drewboy64

I would just buy one now, unless theres a chance of DS dropping its price in the fall. You can wait till august playing Meteos, Kirby, etc. and then tons of good games like Advanced Whores will come out.

P.S. With the online, Nintendo will make use of it, unlike the gamecube. Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and Crystal Chronicles are a few of the online examples.

And if you're thinking of getting a PSP instead, I would disagree, because DS only has a few or more good games out, but the PSP really doesn't have anything.

Posted by veritas

Resident Evil 4 is way better. I've played both. In Starfox, fox doesnt look the same. The gameplay is bad, and you die easily. As for Resident Evil, the graphics are awesome, it still has the resident evil touch, and it scares you sometimes.

Posted by Gamer

It's totally about to be worth it and I'm glad I have one, because it's going Wi-Fi! WIth the new Mario Kart DS game about to come out and they already have about 20-30 more titles that are going Wi-Fi as well. All you'll have to do is like hook up to a server and you'll be able to play people around the world!

Posted by Drewboy64

Right now, it's very worth it. Advanced Wars DS and Nintendogs have come out, plus there's Nanostray, Meteos and Kirby. And soon, Mario Kart DS and some other stuff will come out for Wi-Fi. This means you will have great gameplay when you buy it to tie you over till the other good games come out.

Posted by Random

As of now I don't think it's worth it. The Price drop is nice. I may pick one up when it's $100 and has a better library. Not saying the library now sucks but it could be improved and is going to be improved in the future.

**As for Drewboys comment** I said it didn't suck, but I didn't say it was worth buying. there are a couple games that slightly even interest me. There are more to come, but why waste my money now, when there maybe another Price Drop when the better Games come out.