is snaking fair, *****?

Posted by Drewboy64

Snaking in Mario Kart: Yay or Nay?

Posted by Speedfreak

Nay, tis gay.

Seriously, ruins the entire experience.

Posted by Nightscare

i voted no, but what the hell is snaking?

Posted by Drewboy64

thanks for voting for something you don't know about, Nightscare.

Snaking's where you to miniturbos on a straight path to go really fast. I say yes, because Mario Kart's designed that way, and it takes skill. It doesn't turn something hard to do into soemthing easy the way SSBM's C-stick smashes does.
Plus, in Time Trials, like on Baby Park (at least on double dash, not sure about DS) and on Yoshi Falls, the staff ghost snakes. And NOA Andy had an article saying that it was legit.

Posted by Ant

I say no, it deturs a lot of people from playing. Hell, I just started recently doing it even though I think it's kinda gay. I was sick of losing.

Posted by Pit

It's a technique that's open to everyone, rending it 'fair' in the sense, but cheap as ****.

Posted by Shade

I agree with Speedy, ruins everything. The only people who defend are people who do it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Drewboy64]thanks for voting for something you don't know about, Nightscare.

Snaking's where you to miniturbos on a straight path to go really fast. I say yes, because Mario Kart's designed that way, and it takes skill. It doesn't turn something hard to do into soemthing easy the way SSBM's C-stick smashes does.
Plus, in Time Trials, like on Baby Park (at least on double dash, not sure about DS) and on Yoshi Falls, the staff ghost snakes. And NOA Andy had an article saying that it was legit.

So you think a technique that renders all the karts but the ones with poor drift and low acceleration completely useless was built into the game, do you?

If it was built into the game then why don't any of the staff ghosts use it?

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Speedfreak: So you think a technique that renders all the karts but the ones with poor drift and low acceleration completely useless was built into the game, do you?

If it was built into the game then why don't any of the staff ghosts use it?

The staff ghosts do use it. One of them used it against me.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Snaking is great on courses that you have to be careful with it.

...Like Delfino Square.

Posted by Linko_16

Most people who defend stuff like this claim it's okay because the game was designed that way. If the game was meant to be played with snaking, however, the designers would've made it so every kart could do it. Frankly, it's not hard; with the right kart, I could do it standing on my head. Snaking is arrogant and cowardly... you're basically refusing to race with the same stakes as everyone else by giving yourself an enormous handicap and destroying the possibility of loss, then pretending you're a better player for it. Have some balls and accept head-to-head competition in a fair race.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Nay, tis gay.

Seriously, ruins the entire experience.

Agreed.

It's not the MK I remember anymore :(

Posted by Flounder

well its is funny how peolpe forget that items ARE a part of mario kart. if there is a person snaking and gets up in front then you will have good chance of getting a good item and can easily slow them down and take the led.

and if you can snake like this
http://www.mario-kart.net/downloads/mkds/movies/figure8.mpg
or this
http://www.mario-kart.net/downloads/mkds/movies/snesmc1.mpg
then you deserve to win.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Flounder]well its is funny how peolpe forget that items ARE a part of mario kart. if there is a person snaking and gets up in front then you will have good chance of getting a good item and can easily slow them down and take the led.

and if you can snake like this
[URL="http://www.mario-kart.net/downloads/mkds/movies/figure8.mpg"]http://www.mario-kart.net/downloads/mkds/movies/figure8.mpg[/URL]
or this
[URL="http://www.mario-kart.net/downloads/mkds/movies/snesmc1.mpg"]http://www.mario-kart.net/downloads/mkds/movies/snesmc1.mpg[/URL]
then you deserve to win.
I agree.

True, getting to the point where you can go faster with snaking than normal racing is simple, but getting to the point where you can throw in a small snake in the narrowest of spaces is not.

EDIT: It comes down to the courses you choose. Some courses are legit, namely Delfino, Mario Circut 1... courses in which you can't suck at snaking or it will slow you down! Oh, and I hate dicks that pick Figure 8 Circut like there's no tommorrow. Not all snakers are like that.

Posted by GameMiestro

Anyone who says snaking is easy are either lying, or are very bad at it. Most of the people who are against snaking (eerily similar to anti wallplanters in Tony Hawk) probably are using this as an excuse for them being bad at the game. Snaking down narrow pathways is brutally difficult, and if its bugging you, just get better at racing without snaking.

I think you're missing the point of anti-snakers. Most don't like it because it ruins what makes Mario Kart Mario Kart. It's a game anyone can pick up and be good at. Weapons are the only thing in the game that can make someone better than another. But now, with snaking, it puts a gap between players. Something that people avoid by playing a Mario Kart game.

That's the point.

Posted by junior senior

I swear, I only won 6 games because everybody I race snakes.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro] It's a game anyone can pick up and be good at. Weapons are the only thing in the game that can make someone better than another. But now, with snaking, it puts a gap between players. Something that people avoid by playing a Mario Kart game.

That's the point.

Thats what I have a problem with. It's like Mario Party- you could be incredibly good at all of the mini games, be going against someone who has never played, and still lose because of the dice rolls. This might be fun to some people, but to those raised by the F-Zero "kill or be killed" mentality, it gets frusterating.

Both approaches work, it's just that the Mario Party just doesn't have that much replay value, at least not for me.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I'm not against snaking. I'm against the way that it's used. I'm not against wallplants. I'm against people using them to no end to rack up ten million point scores with no real skill.

I first heard of snaking in F-Zero GX, and I hated the idea then. Yeah, it's built into the game, and yeah, if you can do it, do it. But using it in a competitive arena is completely childish. It's like saying 'ha ha, i can do this and you can't' and sticking your tongue out. What's the fun in, say, a basketball one-on-one game, if you're a professional player and the other is amateur, just lobbing the ball in from everywhere and blocking their chances at every opportunity? If you're in a contest to prove that you're better, then fine, but for games, where the main objective is fun, it's pointless - because you destroy the experience for everyone else.

Thankfully, I've noticed a decline in snaking recently.

Quoted post: Thats what I have a problem with. It's like Mario Party- you could be incredibly good at all of the mini games, be going against someone who has never played, and still lose because of the dice rolls. This might be fun to some people, but to those raised by the F-Zero "kill or be killed" mentality, it gets frusterating.

Tne don't play them! There's tons of games out there that require skill to win. The Mario games are the opposite of those. That's why they exist.

Posted by Drewboy64

While I wish I could use the Cucumber to snake, because it looks awesome, I still think snaking is fair. It takes skill to learn; if it didnt, then all of my friends would snake, but they don't. And people from NOA snake too.

I wish more people would snake so there would be more oppurtunities to be challenging.

Posted by Colonel

I can not stand snaking it pretty much no contest for people who don't know how to do it and like Speedfreak said, it ruins it for everyone. I never play Mario Kart online anymore because almost everyone has adapted the obility to snake.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Wings]I'm not against snaking. I'm against the way that it's used. I'm not against wallplants. I'm against people using them to no end to rack up ten million point scores with no real skill.

The difference between Mario Kart and Tony Hawk is that it that the difference between the best skater that doesn't use wall plants and that average skater that doesn't use wallplants is enormous. Some people may play so anyone can win, but if you play it competitively- where any methods to victory are allowed, as long as you finish first- it also can be a lot of fun.

[/quote=Vampiro]There's tons of games out there that require skill to win. The Mario games are the opposite of those. That's why they exist.

I bet there are quite a few Nintendo fans who would disagree.

Quoted post: I bet there are quite a few Nintendo fans who would disagree.

Most Nintendo fans are also really stupid.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting .hack//: I can not stand snaking it pretty much no contest for people who don't know how to do it and like Speedfreak said, it ruins it for everyone. I never play Mario Kart online anymore because almost everyone has adapted the obility to snake.

See, this is why I argue that snaking is good/fair. If it wasn't fair, then this .hack would probably snake, but he doesn't because he doesn't know how. So snaking IS a skill that you have to learn, not a way to cheat.

And I don't think snaking ruins the experience. It does change it, so sometimes me and my brother play without snaking and without the Dry Bomber just for fun. Otherwise, we always snake. It doesn't ruin the experience; going up against three other people that snake like you is extremely fun. And with that, there's always people that get good items because they're going to be in last place.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Yes, it's a skill. But it goes against what Mario Kart is, and even what Nintendo is. It changes an easy to play game into a test of skill - whereas Mario Kart has always been about narrowing the boundaries of skill.

Quoted post:
See, this is why I argue that snaking is good/fair. If it wasn't fair, then this .hack would probably snake, but he doesn't because he doesn't know how. So snaking IS a skill that you have to learn, not a way to cheat.

It's not about whether it takes skill or not.

Plus, I can snake, and once I learned it I realised I really didn't like it.

Posted by Colonel

Quoting Drewboy64: See, this is why I argue that snaking is good/fair. If it wasn't fair, then this .hack would probably snake, but he doesn't because he doesn't know how. .

Uh i know how to snake with the dry bomber, i just don't do it because before i knew how, people always did it to me and i hated it, but if i face someone who is snaking, ill snake.

Posted by junior senior

How do you snake? :-\

Posted by Colonel

you need to pick a car thats good at it a.k.a dry Bomber and shift side to side drifting and get mini boosts

Quoted post: How do you snake? :-\

Mini-boost repeatedly on a straightway

Posted by Drewboy64

I have to say snaking is fun if you are being competitive or playing against other snakers. Sometimes, though I like to use the good old Cucumber and play without snaking.

Posted by Linko_16

Hey, if you liked Mario Kart with snaking, try soccer with your hands! It's especially great when playing against people who refuse to do it because they want to play the way it was meant to be played and have more fun on equal standards! Don't listen to them when they call you a self-rightious jerk, they're just squares who aren't with the times.

Quoted post: Hey, if you liked Mario Kart with snaking, try soccer with your hands! It's especially great when playing against people who refuse to do it because they want to play the way it was meant to be played and have more fun on equal standards! Don't listen to them when they call you a self-rightious jerk, they're just squares who aren't with the times.

I approve of this analogy.

Posted by junior senior

Do you need a certain character?

Posted by Colonel

No i just prefer Dry Bones

LOL GO LINKO_16

Posted by Drewboy64

Except playing soccer with your hands takes no skill, but snaking does.

Posted by junior senior

No. Shutup and stop defending youself.

Posted by cool gamer dad

He's not wrong. He's pretty right actually.

I thought it was a bad analogy (considering he was actually serious). Of course, if everyone snaked, then it'd be an equal playing field in which the outcome would be determined by items. But like you said, you enjoy the game just for non-skillful fun in which you don't have to hurt the middle of your thumb over.

I like this, you like that. k

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Drewboy64: Except playing soccer with your hands takes no skill, but snaking does.

That's even more of a reason not to snake, hense "equal standards." I thought it was an easy thing to do, but apparently lots of people struggle with it. It's like ledge-baiting in Super Smash Brothers: yeah, you can use it to your advantage, but are you really setting yourself apart from the other player much?

Posted by junior senior

I was talking to this kid on AIM I raced, he was snaking and I told him to stop. I got:

"SHUT UP IT'S HOW YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO RACE IN THE GAME WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S IN THE GAME??!?!?!"
I loled and insulted his girlfriend by calling her an ugly whore

Posted by Pit

Quoting Linko_16: That's even more of a reason not to snake, hense "equal standards." I thought it was an easy thing to do, but apparently lots of people struggle with it. It's like ledge-baiting in Super Smash Brothers: yeah, you can use it to your advantage, but are you really setting yourself apart from the other player much?

Go to a smash tournament, ledge guarding is easy to do, you don't simply grab on to it. You have to time it so that you become invincible and the person coming in doesn't hit you with their recovery. The thing is, you get a bonus for ledge guarding so it's perfectly legal in that sense.

Basically, snaking was put into the game. If you suck at it, you shouldn't ***** at the other player for doing it. I mean, that's like going to a smah tourney and telling everyone not to wavedash because because you can't do it, you're at a disadvantage.

Posted by Colonel

Quoting Drewboy64: Except playing soccer with your hands takes no skill, but snaking does.

Please shut it with your constant using of the word skill.

Posted by Drewboy64

How does it not take skill? I've tried snaking on some levels and I couldn't. It's pretty hard to snake on levels like Choco Mountain unless you are good at tapping left and right fast enough and can time the mini turbo well.

Posted by Shade

Hey, if it's practically impossible to snake on a map, instead of practicing how and burning the skin of your thumbs off, here's what I do.

JUST DON'T SNAKE ON IT.

And btw, snaking isn't a skill, unless you think being able to move your thumbs fast is a skill.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Shade: Hey, if it's practically impossible to snake on a map, instead of practicing how and burning the skin of your thumbs off, here's what I do.

JUST DON'T SNAKE ON IT.

And btw, snaking isn't a skill, unless you think being able to move your thumbs fast is a skill.

Having the snaking skill and a $1.50 will get you a coffee at starbucks. :D That's all it really is worth in life. :)

It's easy to beat snaking, it's called items. Simple, jsut get some red and blue shells and mushrooms and it's an easy win. Items is what wins races most of the time, not this snaking ****. I've dealt with snakers myself before, msot of them with wins over 300. All I did was get tons of shells. Best tiem to throw a red is right when they are about to cross the finish. :) Really ticks them off.

Posted by Flounder

Quoting Shade: And btw, snaking isn't a skill, unless you think being able to move your thumbs fast is a skill.

First of all, if you think snaking is just moving you thumbs fast then you are wrong, you have to be able to time the next hop so that you dont turn to much and ruin the snake. Also (depending on the kart) you sometimes have to do two hops to get the correct set up for your next boost. Timeing the hop or set up of your next boost is difficult and crucial to making you snake as stright as possible (assuming you are not on a turn).

Secondly, items do a decent job at preventing snakers from getting to far ahead. So if you have tried to snake but cant, pracitse more until you can. For some people it might take longer...But it dose take time to do it extreamly well...

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Pit]Go to a smash tournament, ledge guarding is easy to do, you don't simply grab on to it. You have to time it so that you become invincible and the person coming in doesn't hit you with their recovery. The thing is, you get a bonus for ledge guarding so it's perfectly legal in that sense.

Basically, snaking was put into the game. If you suck at it, you shouldn't ***** at the other player for doing it. I mean, that's like going to a smah tourney and telling everyone not to wavedash because because you can't do it, you're at a disadvantage.

It wasn't put in the game, retard. If it was then all characters would be equally adept at it, and it wouldn't reduce the amount of competitive characters to those with poor drift stats. If their aim is to release a balanced game then how the hell can you argue that what effectively amounts to a game mechanic flaw that wrecks the balance of all the characters was intentionally put in there?

It completely ruins the game for anyone who doesn't do it, it's never advised in the manual nor touted as a new gameplay feature, none of the CPU opponents do it and forces you to be an overly competitive wanker with a robotic thumb when playing online. If you think that that's what the creators were aiming for then you're completely fucking mental and probably shouldn't have bought what is supposed to be a party game that everyone has a roughly equal chance at. It's totally against the spirit of the game.

I'm honestly getting sick and tired of this arguement, because everyone that's argued for snaking are the kind of people that never actually want to have fun with the games themselves, just fun through beating other people, and they've already completely taken over the online mode of Mario Kart anyway so any logical arguement you put forward is completely pointless.

If you want to have fun with this game without a deep desire play it professionally then you're screwed. End of, thread closed.