Sony Online Gaming Service for PS3, + PSP set to take on xbox live

Posted by blade527

http://s14.invisionfree.com/console_gaming/index.php?showtopic=22

Posted by Axis

10 bucks it wont be as good. Plus, I think that Microsoft is keeping some secrets to release after Sony shows their plans. That way, if Sonys is better by any chance, then MS will probably release new features that will make it better.

Posted by Axis

I don't think it will be as good. Plus, I think MS has some secrets up their sleeves that they can pull out if Sony has a better service by any chance.

Posted by Speedfreak

[IMG]http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20010517/ps201_02.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20010517/ps201_09.jpg[/IMG]

PS2 ONLINE IS GONNA BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF XBOX LIVE.

Ha ha, Sony. You and your lies.

Posted by brownoystercult

Er that was 2. Be more open minded and stop judging things from the past. It's not fair, really.

Posted by reccanboy

The service better be free.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Roinkz]Er that was 2. Be more open minded and stop judging things from the past. It's not fair, really.

I said 2. Judging things from the past is pretty much common sense, actually. Sony have a track record of completely bullshitting.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Er that was 2. Be more open minded and stop judging things from the past. It's not fair, really.

Yeah, you missed his point.

Anywho, I highly doubt Sony will ever get the upper-hand on MS when it comes to online. Well, not within the next generation anyways.

Posted by brownoystercult

All right, I totally misunderstood.

In the long run Xbox Live will tower over the online competition. My guess anyway.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Speedfreak: I said 2. Judging things from the past is pretty much common sense, actually. Sony have a track record of completely bullshitting.

Like the majority of your posts.

In any event. It's likely that Sony will opt for "market trends". If that "market trend" says xbl plagiarism then they will shoot for that, if not, then they don't go.

Posted by Klarth

[i] * PS3 will have online service that goes beyond Xbox live
* PS3 will be a DVR (Digital Video Recorder)
* It will be able to connect with the PSP
* There are a lot of games being worked on for it right now in the US (a lot more then what people know about)
* The final PS3 dev kit is a lot faster than they thought (according to the developer)
* The PS3 will have an iTunes type service to let you download Hi-Def movies, music, etc
* The PS3 will take the media center functionality the 360 has even further
* PS3 will serve as a location free player for the PSP, means you can watch the DVD

Posted by Bebop

What Magazine is this from? Is it coming straight from Sony or reports from other developers, or specualtion? It's only bull if Sony is saying it's official.

Posted by Klarth

"Official US Playstation Magazine", apparently.

http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/02/ps3-features-revealed-psp-well-cared.html#comments

Posted by nich

Im going to wait untill it actually comes out, but, if that is true 360 might be done for.

Posted by Dragner

Like Nich said I'm going to wait tell it comes out I don't really belive all that

Posted by Prince Shondronai

"The Blu-ray Player functionality doesn't cost as much as a stand alone player because the Cell and RSX can take care of a lot of the stuff the PS3 will need to do to be able to read the disks"

So what they're really saying is that they're making the stand-alone players wrong.

Quoted post: So what they're really saying is that they're making the stand-alone players wrong.

No, just a different way.

Anyways, I can't see all of this happening... but who knows.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Bebop]What Magazine is this from?

Well it looks like it may be PSM magazine.

[Quote=Vampiro]Anyways, I can't see all of this happening... but who knows.

Yeah knowing Sony, they will end up cutting something out from the PS3. But I can't trully be sure. I do plan on getting the PS3, but Ill most definetally wate it out and see if its any great.

Posted by Speedfreak

Heheh, I find the idea of Blu Ray being a huge advantage rather amusing. We don't actually need new disc formats for hi-def movies, you can fit 3 hours of high def video onto something like 3GB if you use a decent codec like wmv. It only takes up 20GB+ if you use the decrepid MPEG-2.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Klarth: "Official US Playstation Magazine", apparently.

http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/02/ps3-features-revealed-psp-well-cared.html#comments

Well, apparently no one has opened a single PlayStation magazine in the last 7 years.

That's PSM. (Biased) PlayStation Magazine.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Big Boss]different, but I only paid $20 for my steel-toed ones.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Klarth: "Official US Playstation Magazine", apparently.

Needs more OPM (Official PlayStation Magazine).

Quoted post: "Different" equals "wrong" when it comes to a monetary difference of $1000 or more. Making titanium-toed boots would certainly be different, but I only paid $20 for my steel-toed ones.

No. It's just a DIFFERENT way. Both are correct, it's just a different way of making a Blu-Ray player. After all, why on earth would you put a Cell chip in a Blu-Ray player, when really, it's not even going to be used.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]No. It's just a DIFFERENT way. Both are correct, it's just a different way of making a Blu-Ray player. After all, why on earth would you put a Cell chip in a Blu-Ray player, when really, it's not even going to be used.

...because it's cheaper.

For the consumer, possibly.

But it might be too expensive, or just not cost-effective, for the makers to actually do. Chances are, the Cell chip costs quite a bit, and Sony's willing to install it in their PS3s and sell it for much cheaper because they know they'll get their money back, and then some. But that might not be the case for Blu-Ray players.

Plus, you have to consider demand, and whether they call supply chips for all PS3s AND Blu-Ray players. Which they may not be able to do...

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]For the consumer, possibly.

But it might be too expensive, or just not cost-effective, for the makers to actually do. Chances are, the Cell chip costs quite a bit, and Sony's willing to install it in their PS3s and sell it for much cheaper because they know they'll get their money back, and then some. But that might not be the case for Blu-Ray players.

Plus, you have to consider demand, and whether they call supply chips for all PS3s AND Blu-Ray players. Which they may not be able to do...

Doh, forgot about that. PS3s are sold at a loss, standalone are sold for profit.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh, so you disagree with my saying that Sony have a track record of overhyping their technology? Keep moaning, zombie, maybe you'll find some brains.

Posted by higbvuyb

AOL and Netscape and Sony. Three crap companies coming to gether to make a crap product. Lol. Just, lol.