Moore on MS Handheld

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/683/683783p1.html

Quoted post: In an effort to loosen Apple's stranglehold on the portable media device market, Microsoft may be contemplating throwing a new device into the fray; one that would most likely include gaming.

Xbox chief Peter Moore told Business Week that a new Microsoft device would most likely incorporate music, video and gaming, the latter of which the iPod doesn't support. The device, then, would also butt heads with Sony's Playstation Portable and fall into a category all its own.

"It can't just be our version of the iPod," Moore said in the interview.

The fact that Moore commented at all could indicate that the Xbox brand would be used to market the device. Back in 2004, it was rumored that Microsoft was developing a handheld called the "Xboy."

"I think the brand is an opportunity," Moore told Business Week.

Microsoft would not comment on the device and even if one is in development, but a representative did say, "Microsoft is committed to innovation." The software giant has shifted focus to increase its presence in entertainment fields, and an iPod/PSP competitor would fall in line with that shift.

Obviously a Microsoft handheld raises a lot of interesting questions. Will it be compatible with the Xbox 360 or even the Xbox? HD? Online? Again, aside from Moore's comments, Microsoft is keeping silent.

We'll keep you posted as more information on the phantom handheld device develops. You can read the Business Week story here (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2006/tc20060126_148049.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech).

Discuss.

Posted by Axis

Wouldn't buy.

...unless it made muffins. If it makes muffins then we'll talk.

Posted by junior senior

It'll be huge!

Posted by Moogs

Axis: You really can't say that until you see a picture and it's specs... unless your biased to Sony or Nintedo. When I first heard of Xbox 360 I thought I wasn't getting one and ended up getting one.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Moogs: Axis: You really can't say that until you see a picture and it's specs... unless your biased to Sony or Nintedo. When I first heard of Xbox 360 I thought I wasn't getting one and ended up getting one.

I'm not biased toward any of them. Hell, my favorite console is the Xbox. I just don't like handhelds at all.

Posted by Linko_16

Hey, look! It's... an electronic device! It has music! It can play movies! You might be able to make a phone call! Internet, probably! There are some games, too, maybe! It can do all sorts of things other devices already in the market can do! DEAR GOD, BUY IT!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Hey, look! It's... an electronic device! It has music! It can play movies! You might be able to make a phone call! Internet, probably! There are some games, too, maybe! It can do all sorts of things other devices already in the market can do! DEAR GOD, BUY IT!

You really dislike this Xbox line, don't you?

Posted by Linko_16

I dislike marketing for the sake of marketing... X-Box just happens to be a perfect example of this. Don't get me wrong, it's not prejudice; I'm just as irritated right now with Nintendo and their constant re-release of the same basic hardware.

Posted by GameMiestro

It was inevitable that they would consider making a handheld. If they try and compete with the PSP, the DS, and the iPod, they'll have some tough competition...

But if it's good enough, I'll buy it.
[quote=Axis]I just don't like handhelds at all.

:(

Posted by Lord of Spam

Oh, if only there were a device that would deliver music, games, and video in one package. Oh, wait, there is. Its called a PSP.

Furhtermore, did anyone else notice the line "The device, then, would also butt heads with Sony's Playstation Portable and fall into a category all its own"? That doesnt even begin to make sense. If it were in competition with the psp, then logically it would have to be in the same category. This would seemingly preculde the statement "fall into a category all its own." Wtf?

Posted by nich

I just saw a ms rep on CTV news being interviewed about the handheld. First the title of the interview was microsoft vs. ipod, not microsoft vs. sony. He said the ipod has become so popular that soon everyone will be using apple software and microsoft can't have that. The interviewer said there are alot of ipod compeditors already, what edge will you have over it? He said, microsoft also has a successful videogame industry with the xbox and the xbox 360. And specifically Xbox 360 has a new feature called xbox live arcade, we want to bring all the functions of ipod and the fun addicting games of xbox live arcade.

I am but a lowly messenger, take from that what you will.

Posted by Bebop

I think it'll be a portable Windows Media Player with some gameplay rather than MS making a PSP.