Fun distraction for those old enough to drive.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If you're ever on a long road trip, and feel the need to occupy your mind a bit between dull highway travel, just play this little game I came across a while ago.

Whenever you pass a street sign, try to make an acronym out of the words on it. For example, speed limit might become several perverted elephants emit dangerous liqiuds in more interior territories. It sounds retarded at first, but once you play with some other people, the insanity begins to amuse you. Oh, and try not to repeat words in the acronym, otherwise, every STOP sign would jsut be the same thing over and over again.

Just try it before you knock it.

Posted by Xero

Yeah it does sound weird at first by just reading it like that, but I'll try it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

... I'd have to be seriously bored before I ever think that's amusing.

But who knows myabe it'll work.

Posted by The Judge

I DON'T DRIVE

Posted by Xero

Quoting The Judge: I DON'T DRIVE

But you will eventually.

Posted by The Judge

Nope. I plan to walk everywhere until I develop Telekinesis or possibly a simple fly spell (of decent caster level).

Posted by Xero

Quoting The Judge: Nope. I plan to walk everywhere until I develop Telekinesis or possibly a simple fly spell (of decent caster level).

Posted by mis0

Quoting The Judge: Nope. I plan to walk everywhere until I develop Telekinesis or possibly a simple fly spell (of decent caster level).

Weekend Web get!

If I get bored while driving, I start to sing to my favourite songs. My terrible voice greatly amuses me.

Posted by Ch

Quoting The Judge: I DON'T DRIVE

Hold on, man. Not to be rude or anything like that, but aren't you 19?

Posted by Ant

Why drive when you have friends that drive? ;)

And I'm going to bash your game before I try it. -BONK-

Posted by The Judge

Yes I am 19.

My grandmother is 68 and doesn't drive.

I fail to see where you were going with this.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah.....

I'll just play music.

Posted by KoH

I do the music thing plus the sing along thing that Mis does. As he is amused by his bad voice, the same goes for me. Only its, you know, my voice instead of his. But when stuck in traffic I usually click on the button of my handbrake to the rhythm of the music.

Posted by Linko_16

I do this not with street signs, but with license plates. It's easier, and there are usually more of them.

Plus, you never miss the 1/19683 chance someone has "PWN" or "LOL" on theirs.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Ant: Why drive when you have friends that drive? ;)

Because those friends could get in wrecks by going 60 off an offramp where it's extremely tight turn and said it should be taken at 20 mph.

And that game sounds lame. I'd just listen to music.

Quoted post: Yeah.....

I'll just play music.

I agree with this man.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Echo: Because those friends could get in wrecks by going 60 off an offramp where it's extremely tight turn and said it should be taken at 20 mph.

Har.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=The Judge]Yes I am 19.

My grandmother is 68 and doesn't drive.

I fail to see where you were going with this.

He's saying that your whole family is pathetic and lazy.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, I listen to music, and laugh at my horrendous voice.

And usually, some twit will tick me off, so I **** him off more.

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Linko_16: I do this not with street signs, but with license plates. It's easier, and there are usually more of them.

Plus, you never miss the 1/19683 chance someone has "PWN" or "LOL" on theirs.

I can usually come up with something that the letters on the number plate stands for. That can be entertaining. And it can be about the driver.

For example FA number number etc etc... = Fart Arse

something random I will make up now....

IFB
International Flying Bovines

PSY
Pizza Smack, Yeah!

You get the idea.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Angelwing: Yeah, I listen to music, and laugh at my horrendous voice.

And usually, some twit will tick me off, so I **** him off more.

Canadians do the roadrage! I'll watch my *** next time I'm in Canada.

Something else that's fun, mostly in an urban area, is to pull up to the car next to you, make eye contact with the driver, and rev the engine twice. Then, everyone knows IT'S ON. Once IT'S ON, you can floor the gas and see if s/he does for the 300 feet to the next light and slam on the brakes at the next red. Or, even better, if you think they're going to floor it, just make a left/right instead. Makes the other driver feel like a *******.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Racing ricers is the best, especially downtown. The low gear ratios/huge low end torque on my truck mean that it blasts off the line (8 second 0-60 is pretty **** good for a 5000 pound truck, I'd say.) Not to mention that since it has such a high ride hieght and sronger suspension, the potholes that make them bottom out are nothing but little bumps for me.

Good times. Now if only I got more than 9mpg.:(

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting D.J Cat: I can usually come up with something that the letters on the number plate stands for. That can be entertaining. And it can be about the driver.

For example FA number number etc etc... = Fart Arse

something random I will make up now....

IFB
International Flying Bovines

PSY
Pizza Smack, Yeah!

You get the idea.

I can remember some good ones.

GHB: God Hates Bunnies

PER: Pickle-Eating Race

RHP: Really Huge Pants

Posted by Fei-on Castor

During my many trips back and forth between Arizona and Minnesota, we'd play an alphabet game where you have to find something that starts with A, then something that starts with B, and so on.

We never found any Qs. We'd usually just skip Q and head onto U territory, which was much easier.

Posted by mis0

GYD: God you're dumb.
NST: Nigga stop talkin'.
GXS: Good xylophone song.

Posted by gOdOfWaR

f*ck the signs every time i try to read a sign i run off the road

Posted by The Judge

If you're as stupid as your posting style would indicate, I'm not surprised.

Posted by mis0

If you're too stupid to take you eyes off of the road for a second you're a complete retard. Driving is about predicting and responding to road conditions. If you can't predict where you're going and have no concept of space in relation to you and your car you shouldn't be driving, period.

Posted by Ant

how do I drive in rain?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Recklessly.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I would not do this, because it sounds lame.

Quoted post: f*ck the signs every time i try to read a sign i run off the road

... and you were given a licence?

bullfeathers

You're either too young to drive or too mentally retarded to ever pass the written exam.

Posted by Lord of Spam

The only other person I've ever heard say bullfeathers is my 60 year old grandfather.

You make me giggle.

Posted by sabre

Christ your grandfather is young. He can't have been older than 42 when you were born. Teen pregancies much?

Posted by Klarth

Quoting gOdOfWaR: f*ck the signs every time i try to read a sign i run off the road

No you don't, silly. You're eleven!

Posted by Trigger

I know something more amusing whilst driving, but most of you won't be able to do so anyway.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Sabredog: Christ your grandfather is young. He can't have been older than 42 when you were born. Teen pregancies much?

It was an expression. how dare you inject logic into it.

For the record, he's like 68, I think. My mom had me when she was 29. You do the math.

Quoting Trigger: I know something more amusing whilst driving, but most of you won't be able to do so anyway.

Fappin', amirite?

Quoted post: Fappin', amirite?

That's what first sprung to my mind.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Vampiro agrees with me.

That means I'm right. :cool: Becuase it couldnt possibly have anything to do with cane toads.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I don't understand this fascination with driving. Yeah, it's fun and all, but I'm really not that bothered. It's much cheaper to take the bus, train, tram or go on foot. I'm 19, and I can drive if there's an emergency or whatever, but if someone threatens me with my life if I don't parallel park, well, I'm screwed.

I mean, like, what's the point? There's absolutely NOWHERE that I can't get to by some other means, cheaper, and generally faster.

Posted by mis0

Where I live it's practically a necessity to have a car, even in the city. That's why we get licensed at 15 here. To even go to the nearest grocery store I have to drive about 4 miles. The nearest bus comes to the mall, about ten miles from my house, and even then it only runs there and back about three times a day. Even in most of ABQ you're lucky to find a bus with anything shorter than an hourly schedule, and then, it's incredibly slow to get around because you have to change from bus to bus, and with the kind of connections described, it takes hours to get across the some 180 square miles that make up the greater Albuquerque area. The bus is cheap, though. It's like $15 for a 3-month pass or something.

We are getting a light rail system and I think the first part of it comes on-line this summer. But it'll be years before an effective one ever comes into the works. About bikes and stuff, due to the insane amount of traffic, it's halfways a deathwish to use your bike in bigs parts of the city.

As for parallel parking, they've made spaces big enough to park SUV's in. I just park there, and usually a motorcycle or moped will squeeze in too, especially near the college campus where parking is at a freakin' premium.

Even if I wanted to get around in the public transport system, it's simply not very plausible unless you have all day to get where ya need to.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

See, for me, four miles really isn't a problem to walk. Although to be fair, ten miles is out of my league to get a bus.

I'd still, however, use a bike.

Posted by Speedfreak

Jesus, America has some pretty crappy public transport. I can get to London from my house in about 30-40 minutes with less than a fiver.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Wings: See, for me, four miles really isn't a problem to walk. Although to be fair, ten miles is out of my league to get a bus.

I'd still, however, use a bike.

Easier said than done in the beating sun of a dry desert, and more so when transversing the huge mesas around here.

As far as it goes, I can get to downtown Albuquerque from my house (25+ miles) in short of 35 minutes for about $3.00 in fuel. It's fairly economic, all things considered.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Speedfreak: Jesus, America has some pretty crappy public transport. I can get to London from my house in about 30-40 minutes with less than a fiver.

Open spaces+stupid, wasteful morons= no public transport and oversized vehicles.