RP"G"s?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

My understanding that the acronym "RPG" means "Role Playing Game".

Therefore, shouldn't our board be called "RPGs" rather than "RPG Games"? Doesn't the "G" in "RPG" mean "Game"?

Meh.

Role Playing Game Games... That's like saying "PIN Number". Which is weak.

Posted by Stalolin

kinda like BTK Killer amirite?

It's redundant, sure, but I don't believe it really matters. And plus I'd rather identify them as RPG games.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Personally, I just say RPGs. Doubt Jesse will change it.

Posted by Hyper

This reminds me of a ****ing huge argument a few years ago over the acronym "FPS." Anyone remember that? I think 007Ninja, Soul, and KoH took part in it.

Posted by Shin-Ra

LOL ATM MACHINES!!!!!!!!

I can't believe this thread was made. Well, I actually can, but I just don't want to. Nit-picking is for hookers and fat people.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Shin-Ra: LOL ATM MACHINES!!!!!!!!

I can't believe this thread was made. Well, I actually can, but I just don't want to. Nit-picking is for hookers and fat people.

And the elderly.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Elderly people wear socks and funny hats.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Shin-Ra]Elderly people wear socks and funny hats.

And life support.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Quoting Shin-Ra: LOL ATM MACHINES!!!!!!!!

Perhaps some people want things to be as proper as possible.

btw, I'm some people. But if it's not my site, I don't care so much.

Posted by Klarth

feion has RAS syndrome.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Shin-Ra: Nit-picking is for hookers and fat people.

I meet both criteria.

Posted by Lord of Spam

SAT test

Posted by Klarth

RSI injury.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Translation: It's normal to give da letters, then give the word of da last letter!!!

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Jesse Smith]Translation: It's normal to give da letters, then give the word of da last letter!!!

NES System chat.

Thats all I have to say.

Posted by sabre

CGI imaging.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Fei-on: My understanding that the acronym "RPG" means "Role Playing Game".

Therefore, shouldn't our board be called "RPGs" rather than "RPG Games"? Doesn't the "G" in "RPG" mean "Game"?

Meh.

Role Playing Game Games... That's like saying "PIN Number". Which is weak.

I CONCUR.

Seriously.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I can't believe this thread was made. Well, I actually can, but I just don't want to. Nit-picking is for hookers and fat people.

Posted by Iris

I'd rather it be identified as RPG game. Having "game" in an abbreviation doesn't seem very natural to me...

Posted by Poco

haha oh geeze a 20 reply thread fighting over the definition of RPG

Posted by Hyper

The FPS one lasted probably a couple weeks and it got HUGE.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Poco: haha oh geeze a 20 reply thread fighting over the definition of RPG

Actually, we are all in agreement over what "RPG" stands for, so it's not an argument over the definition of RPG.

Posted by NES Queen

its only redundant when you say each word individually. if you're using the acronym however, its not.

personal identification number number is not the same as saying pin number,
just like role playing game game is not the same thing as saying rpg game.

its simple english.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

But if I met someone who I found out liked video games, I'd say to them, "Are you into RPGs at all?", and when setting up my checking account, I told the lady at the bank what I wanted my "PIN" to be.

I understand how trivial this sort of thing is, but I was merely presenting it. For trivial reasons.

Posted by Slade

I figured this thread would be complaining about how RPG's don't contain enough Gameplay... Like you'd say, "More like Role Playing CG's!" or something. I was wrong.

Dead wrong.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

That might be a worthy thread, but not on this board.

Posted by The Judge

Dungeons and Dragons is my favorite RPG. 3rd Edition 4lyfe.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Fei-on: But if I met someone who I found out liked video games, I'd say to them, "Are you into RPGs at all?", and when setting up my checking account, I told the lady at the bank what I wanted my "PIN" to be.

I understand how trivial this sort of thing is, but I was merely presenting it. For trivial reasons.

again, it depends on the context. personally, i rarely say the word PIN without immediately following it with "number". its like rice and beans, peas and carrots...

plus, theres a difference. you say "are you into R-P-G's at all". you don't try to pronounce it as rapagas, whereas with PIN you say pin. not P-I-N. by taking and using the word as a whole (such as with PIN), it has a different connotation and sound and is therefore acceptable to use the redundant word following it. when you separate the letters out into their parts and pronounce each individutal word it represents, its not.

plus, that defeats the point of making the shorter acronym in the first place. its much easier and more common for me to say "i bought a new SCUBA tank today" rather than "a self contained underwater breathing aparatus tank today".

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting The Judge: Dungeons and Dragons is my favorite RPG. 3rd Edition 4lyfe.

3.5 ftw nub

Little things like rpg game annoy me too. I really dont think that changing the few characters that it would take to fix it is too much to ask. Its not like anyone wants a complete redesign or anything, just take out tha word game.

Posted by Shade

BFV Vehicles.