My Solo Project

Posted by Crazy Canuck

My latest band, Ecstasy, broke up a while back. We were prog/metal and it wasn't working because of a few too many ego-clashes within the band. Since going solo I've been debating on if I should remain metal[ish] or move into the world of powerpop[ish]/rock. I did most of the songwriting in the band but never touched lead guitar very much outside of lead harmonies and stuff like that. With my solo stuff I'm kinda doing it all (trying anyway:)). I've posted the music to a couple of the songs I've been working on since the band split at [url]www.myspace.com/markanthonyfreake[/url]

"Lights in the Sky" has more of a mainstream rock sound and "Nine One One" is much more aggressive. Both will have vocals, bass etc. when they're completed but it would be cool if you guys could have a listen and give your opinions on them. I hope you like it.

~Mark

Posted by Fragliche

That's not half bad, infact... it's pretty dômn good. I think Lights in the Sky is a very pretty song, and I honestly will download it tomorrow, because it's good enough for me to listen to more than five times.

As for Nine One One, I really like this song. It reminds me a lot of a Classic Heavy Metal song. It is up beat, keeps a consistant sound... I like it enough to download it like Lights. And I'm going to be honest here, I think it sounds good just with Drums and Guitar. Bass might help it alot, but I think it would sound better without vocals. I'm not saying vocals would be bad, I'm just saying you have a good sound without it.

Keep up the good work.

Posted by MetalVox~55

911 reminded me too much of Iced Earth, and your guitar tone is really cold-sounding w/ a tad too much gain for my taste. It sounds sooooooooo solid-state, and that kills some of the feeling that the song could have. EMG pickups? Solo goes drastically out of key at a few points and it kills the vibe for the rest of the solo :\ I wouldn't have stuck with that solo. It isn't bad, but it can be better.

I got bored with Lights, so I didn't listen to it all the way through.

And theres my input. Use it as you see fit.

Posted by Axis

Nine One One is freaking awesome, I'm trying to download it and put it on my iPod. Keep up the awesome work. I suggest you take the Rock/Metal path. Anyways, keep up the awesome work.

Posted by Crazy Canuck

[QUOTE=Fragliche]That's not half bad, infact... it's pretty d

Posted by Fate

CC singing? I want to hear that. :)

Posted by Porcupine

It sounds overall pretty well written, I approve. Lacking bass, though? What are you using for drums, what's your recording set-up, etc?

Also, don't restrict yourself to one genre. Always try new things. :cool:

Posted by Crazy Canuck

Quoting Fate: CC singing? I want to hear that. :)

haha I used to be lead singer in my first band but I found the guitarist was too hard to work with so I started playing myself. :P

Quoting Porcupine: It sounds overall pretty well written, I approve. Lacking bass, though? What are you using for drums, what's your recording set-up, etc?

Also, don't restrict yourself to one genre. Always try new things. :cool:

I just try to have fun with it :cool:. Believe it for not I didn't use any mics... I recorded the demos entirely with my Line6 Guitarport Rifftracker. When I have enough material to record an album I'll use a more professional set-up but for now the guitarport is ideal.