Network: Labtop to a PC

Posted by Arczu

Now here is my problem.

What I want to do is put my labtop on a network with my home computer so I could transfer files between them. But this labtop is part of a domain, thefore, I cannot do it normally. I've been looking around, and haven't really found a solution to this problem.

I have a router, and as soon as I plug this labtop into the router, it gets an internet connection. But it can't see other computers or anything. The labtop needs to be part of the domain because... well it's part of the domain. I login with it, so taking it out would lock me out of the labtop.

Is there a way to do it that is not complicated? Like... trying to enter the ip address into the Run box, or something?

Posted by KoH

Give this a try, but I really don't think domains should be a problem... I could be wrong though. Anyway:

Go to "network places" then on the left side should be, Set up a home or small office network. Keep clicking next until you get to the first bit of the wizard and select the "yes" option.

Fill out all that good stuff in the next section, then add a workgroup name. I don't believe it makes any difference, you can just leave it at its default of "MSHOME" and be fine. Then hit next and select whichever option best suits you for printing, then hit next twice and you should be getting set up. After it's done, select the last option, "Just finish the wizard..." Finish it up. Reboot.

THEN give it a try.

Posted by Arczu

From the labtop: The option of setting up a network is missing on the side, unless it is a wireless network. But I can't use that. Anyway probably because of the domain thing.

Heh heh... I tried doing that before. If a change this from a Domain to a workgroup, then it sorta works... but I cannot log back in. Some info pertaining that if you log on using domain names and passwords, then changing it screws you over. I had to bring it over to the college helpdesk and have them fix all the information before I could get back in.

Maybe I will screw the networking idea, and just directly connect to the other one. Can't I for example... enter the IP of the computer I want to connect to and get in that way? Then I could navigate to the files and copy them here. There is no way that both coputers get internet, yet not see eachother...

Posted by sniper

la[SIZE="7"]p[/SIZE]top