nintendo taking another shot at virtual reality visors?

Posted by scylla

found at: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/678/678757p1.html
[code]3D Visor hits CES. Nintendo shows interest.
by Mark Bozon
January 4, 2006 - Info begins to roll in from CES and while the show has only begun, interesting news is already breaking. A technologies company called eMagin has already shown off a sweet piece of hardware for gamers everywhere known as the Z800 3D Visor. The visor, which basically looks like a pair of sunglasses with a hint of Virtual Boy, can be used to watch a video signal in stereo much like Nintendo's previous VR system.

Technology like this has already hit arcades via the Beachhead franchise, and while this is still very new to the market (available since last July) Nintendo has already shown interest, purchasing numerous units directly from eMagin. Does this mean Revolution will be VR? Will Nintendo send us into the new age of gaming with full 3D worlds that can be explored by the turn of a head? That remains to be seen. While the specs do support most PC machines and could be used for console control in the future it is a long shot to assume Nintendo is integrating this into Revolution based on these facts alone. eMagine's own Bruce Ridley has hinted at console support, however, stating that the company is talking to all major console marketers about the headset.

More news as it develops.[/code]

Well, this does sound pretty interesting... Thing is, why the hell are they trying to take another shot with the virtual boy type software??

Posted by Random

I don't think it's like the Virtual Boy. They plan to make the game as life like as possible. Something Microsoft already thought of. I already heard of this that Microsoft had been planning only not fully VR. Microsoft plans to have something similar to Sunglasses you put on and it's HD of course and you roam around and play. Basically an HD TV on your face. Only FPS's would be rather Virtual if you ask me.

Nintendo could make some sales doing so. I'm guessing it's meant for the Revolution and I doubt it's going to be another Virtual Boy flop.

Posted by scylla

Quoting SomebodyRandom:

Nintendo could make some sales doing so. I'm guessing it's meant for the Revolution and I doubt it's going to be another Virtual Boy flop.

Well then again, it could be for the DS, who really knows?

Posted by GameMiestro

Interesting. I hope Nintendo tries out the idea.

Posted by Bebop

It would work well with the controller, especially in FPS games.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

The main problem I've got with virtual reality is that you're completely blind while playing. Unless you're standing on a massive sphere that turns in accordance with your walking, you'd just knock shit over.

Posted by Speedfreak

Um, who says you physically have to move to move in game?

I do. Because if you don't, it's not virtual reality, is it? It's just a wraparound immersive screen.

Posted by Speedfreak

Um, hello? All video games are virtual reality?

Oh ho ho, yes. But then you completely kill the concept of the 'virtual reality game' that everyone thinks about - a truly alternate world that you believe in. For you to truly believe in it, you have to be able to live normally in it, such as walk.

Although I do believe that there's never been a commercial game in which the protagonist is in a wheelchair. This is an interesting idea.

EDIT: Tony Hawk's Underground doesn't count. And neither does Killer 7, as you don't spend most of the game actually in the flipping thing.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

There's always The Matrix's VR, which had the computer tap directly into the brain and therefore negate the need to move one's physical body. Needing a massive circular port on the back of your head is kind of a downer, but I think I could live with it.