Orphaned Land - my new favourite band

Posted by Richaod

I heard a sample of their song "The Storm Still Rages" on [url]www.last.fm[/url] internet radio (any Audioscrobbler user can use it), and it was just mind-blowing. Orphaned Land are an Israeli band with possibly the most fitting genre labels ever - folk/progressive/symphonic/doom/death metal. And it's conceptual too.

Their album Mabool is an incredibly epic, almost soundtrack-like concept album about the Biblical flood, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes any form of metal (especially really unique bands like Opeth, and fans of The Human Equation). I might even upload it to YouSendIt.com once I have the whole thing. Okay, I sound like I'm completely whoring them out here (which I am), but it's for your own good. :)

Their official website is at http://www.orphaned-land.com/default.php?language=en

Oh, and here's an album description.

[quote]The vocals on this album were sung in five languages, English, Hebrew, Arabic, Yemen and Latin as well as a form of gibberish (a language ORPHANED LAND created themselves). They were partly sung by female and male classic as well as oriental choirs. Aside from the five band members, more then 30 guests appear on the album. Among them is a percussionist who plays more then 10 different instruments. Also, a lot of oriental instruments such as Oud, Saz and Buzuki are used besides violins, cello, piano and classic/acoustic guitars.

Posted by Gollum

I just started downloading an Orphaned Land discography a minute ago because you recommended them to me. :-o Can't wait.

Posted by Acheron

Is the "made up language" and actual conlang, or just a couple of words they invented and use in their songs?

Posted by Shin-Ra

I've had this album for a few months (thanks to Jim), so I've had some time to really listen to it. My first reaction was "hey this blend of all these styles is pretty entertaining" but after a while it just kinda wore on me. The actual metal element of the album is pretty weak and generic, the vocalist is excellent, and the middle-eastern/folk sounds and themes just aren't worked in all too well. I personally enjoy Betray My Secrets for this style of music, honestly. Plus, Betray My Secrets knows moderation and brings that whole middle-eastern folk sound to a new level with the way Stefan incorporates it into his music. Also the Occult themes and huge variety in the way of sound on this album is fantastic (if you can tolerate black/death vocals of this sort). His execution of the music is also very effective. Try listening to "Oh Great Spirit", "Little Wanderer", "Shamatic Dream", and "From the ***dess" if you get the chance. Betray My Secrets certainly isn't as epic as Orphaned Land, but I find the former to be more beautiful and enjoyable; rather than going into a more technical 'epic' sound like Orphaned Land did. I think that overdoing something like that kills the atmosphere.

Posted by Poco

I've heard of them from a friend, but seeing as he's into all the nu-metal crap (Disturbed, Korn, SoaD, etc,.). I thought it was just genric nu-metal crap, but I'll give it a try when I go ovver to his house on Saturday.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Wow, they sound like a stupid fringe-metal band, trying to 'blend' some ridiculous genre with one that is also fairly ridiculous!

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Acheron: Is the "made up language" and actual conlang, or just a couple of words they invented and use in their songs?

They just invented a random gibberish language.

*searches for Betray My Secrets*

The absolute onslaught of instruments is a bit overwhelming though. But I'm pretty taken with it. The concept is pretty interesting too, and seems quite deep. I'm actually surprised that I hadn't heard of them before.

[quote=TheSecondComing]Wow, they sound like a stupid fringe-metal band, trying to 'blend' some ridiculous genre with one that is also fairly ridiculous!
They seem to blend about five or six different genres together in a fairly tight arrangement. That's more of an achievement than, say, Billy Corgan writing "Today" with its four or so sections (intro, verse, chorus, bridge - how complex!).

I'd have to describe Orphaned Land as sort of... a bit faster than Candlemass' speed, with a similar doom metal style, but with religious concepts, some Middle-Eastern influence, orchestra, occasional death growls and progressive elements all layered on top of each other. And they're a hell of a lot less formulaic than Candlemass, too.

Quoting Richaod:
They seem to blend about five or six different genres together in a fairly tight arrangement. That's more of an achievement than, say, Billy Corgan writing "Today" with its four or so sections (intro, verse, chorus, bridge - how complex!).

Yeah, when will people learn that the greatest songs of all time have always been longer than ten minutes and needlessly complex? I mean, geez guys.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting TheSecondComing: Yeah, when will people learn that the greatest songs of all time have always been longer than ten minutes and needlessly complex? I mean, geez guys.

Oh, and four-bar chords are better?

Quoting Richaod: Oh, and four-bar chords are better?

Yep.

Posted by Richaod

Can someone remind me when I actually endorsed musical overcomplexity?

Mind you, modern music is suffering from oversimplicity, not overcomplexity. Just count how many rap songs with samples and four-bar chord, 16-bar bridge generic rock songs there are on the radio. Someone needs to brutally murder verse-chorus structures, and fast.

For me, finding out that there are still interesting bands like Orphaned Land is quite unique. And if I like overcomplex music as much as you say I do, then I don't think I'd be gushing quite as much as I am, because I'd probably be preoccupied with listening to other bands (and fixing my broken iPod).

Posted by William

One of my favorite bands, Orphaned Land is a metal band that explores all the various shades of metal while mixing it up with middle eastern/oriental-styled music. The vocals are sung in different languages - ranging from English and Hebrew to Arabic and Latin. Their latest album is "Mabool".

Here's a bit of information about the album:

[quote]The lyrical content of the album is as complex as it's music: Mabool (= the flood) - The Story Of The Three Sons Of Seven (= the heroes) is a concept album with every song reflecting another part of the story. It is starting with the birth of the three heroes, then describes their whole journey including all their adventures and finally ends with the flood which fills, covers and destroys the sinful Orphaned Land by a raging storm. The three heroes are the Snake, the Eagle and the Lion; and they are described as the sons of Seven. They are the sons of the three monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) and despite the war of beliefs running in today's reality the heroes to prevent more bloodshed. Sadly their mission fails and thus they have to face the flood.

Now, who here has heard of this band and what do you think of them?

If you haven't heard of them before, give them a listen. You can find some audio and videos on their official site (under media) located here:

http://www.orphaned-land.com/default.php?language=en

Posted by Richaod

I made a thread about them some months ago. Mabool is a fantastic album, definitely one of the best of 2004. I own the 2-CD version too, whee.

Don't forget the fact that there were five different languages used on the album too...

Posted by William

I searched the Music board for anything to do with Orphaned Land, but came up empty. :(

Anyhow, yeah...Mabool is my favorite album by them, although their first album is really good as well.

"Ocean Land" is by far my favorite song by them; and I'm not really sure why either. It's just really soothing to listen to.

Not only that, but Orphaned Land is one of the only bands to use growling vocals that I actually enjoy listening to.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting William: I searched the Music board for anything to do with Orphaned Land, but came up empty. :(

Search function doesn't work in some forums. hehehe.

The Storm Still Rages Inside is easily my favourite song from that album, followed by Mabool (The Flood). Personally, I don't mind Kobi Farhi's growls either.

From their older albums, The Beloved's Cry is great. I've yet to hear El Norra Alila though.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I still don't care for them, like Betray My Secrets more, and think SpiRitual perfected that eastern/metal sound with the Pulse mcd. Nothing against the guys of Orphaned Land, it's just not something I enjoyed.

Posted by sabre

Seeing 'em live in March.

They'd better be good. >:O

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Richaod:

Oh, man. Another forgotten treasure from my childhood. Thanks so much for reminding me of that song... I'm off to download it along with "Geek U.S.A." right this minute!