What was the first side-scrolling game ever?

Posted by tommyc

Can you name the first side-scrolling game? This is most likely to easy for nes fans. Perhaps I should have asked who designed this 2D game.

Posted by Momentum

Pitfall, right?

Or am I horribly mistaken?

Later

Posted by ZEN

Quoting tommyc: Can you name the first side-scrolling game? This is most likely to easy for nes fans. Perhaps I should have asked who designed this 2D game.

Do you mean...
"the first side-scrolling game ever made ever"
Or
"the first side-scrolling game ever made for NES"
?

I don't think the first option can be answered easily. Most likely it was an arcade game from the 1970's.
'Defender' maybe?.

As for NES, there were 3 side-scrollers at launch-
Super Mario Brothers
Kung Fu
Excitebike

Most likely people tend to think of 'Super Mario Bros.' as being the first true side-scrolling game, but it was far from being the "first ever".

Posted by bazariah

Quoting ZEN:
Most likely people tend to think of 'Super Mario Bros.' as being the first true side-scrolling game, but it was far from being the "first ever".

**** straight... since pac land came out before :d

but as it goes i believe it was defender which was the first game to come away from single screens and scroll to the sides

Posted by tommyc

I found this particular quote online.

"It has been 20 years, which is hard to believe," said Beth Llewelyn, Nintendo senior director of corporate communications. "Super Mario Bros." was "a great game. That's what it all boils down to. It offered something new. It was the first side-scrolling game."

If Beth Llewelyn is correct, can you name the designer?

Posted by ZEN

Quoting tommyc: I found this particular quote online.

"It has been 20 years, which is hard to believe," said Beth Llewelyn, Nintendo senior director of corporate communications. "Super Mario Bros." was "a great game. That's what it all boils down to. It offered something new. It was the first side-scrolling game."

If Beth Llewelyn is correct, can you name the designer?

Beth Llewelyn (who I never heard of) is incorrect. The original creater of 'Super Mario Bros.' is Shigeru Miyamoto (who is still milking his cash cow after more than 20 years).

'SMB' is certainly one of the most influential games of all time - one that inspired generations of great 2-D platforming experiences, and an important milestone in gaming history...
But the title of "first side-scrolling game" deserves it not.