Official NBA discussion

Posted by brownoystercult

Okay so I thought today would be a great day to post this. Here, you can discuss about the NBA, and everything related to it.

On the Lakers game:
First off, I'm glad Shaq finally dropped the whole deal with Kobe Bryant.

Boy. I'm posting at the half right now, and what a crazy one it was. Amazing. I think this is the best the Lakers have played all year. Lamar Odom is playing astounding. Kobe is hitting his mid-range jumpers. Andrew Bynum, the 17 year old straight from High School, dunking on Shaq. Freakin' awesome.

Okay so the third quarter for the Lakers is where they pretty much fell apart with Bryant being on the bench. Bryant is unstoppable. Lakers take it. I'm happy.

Discuss.

Posted by Axis

I'm glad the whole Shaq-Kobe thing is over with because it was retarded in the first place. Anyways, I like how the Pistons are playing, they're my favorite so far.

Yeah, the Pistons are playing VERY well. They're all about fundamentals. The team doesn't have one superstar. They're very rounded.

On a sidenote: It looks like the majority of VGC favor Baseball and Football over Basketball.

Posted by Axis

Overall, VGC isn't a big place to talk about sports. I personally prefer College Basketball over the NBA, but I keep an eye on the league anyways.

Posted by Crazy K

I actually watch Sportscenter every morning, But I rarely watch basketball. During the playoffs (if Pistons make it, witch I hope they do) then ill be watching it.

But I do live how the Pistons are taking it to nearly every team they play. I do hope they break the Chicago Bulls recard of 31-3 or something like that (pistons are 30-5)

Posted by Momentum

The NBA is, on average, too me, the most boring of the major sports to watch. Unless I'm watching the Suns light up the score or the Pistons pounding the D, NBA games are just too dull to sit through. And this is coming from a guy who can sit and watch the entirity of meaningless after meaningless MLB game in the middle of summer.

This being said, however, living in Phoenix I have the chance to watch the Suns on a regular basis, and so I get to watch pretty good basketball most of the time. With the Spurs looking weak for the first time in years and the Mavs sputtering again, the Suns have a great chance to conquer the Western Conference when they get Amare back for the stretch run of the seasons. Thing is, the offense is there, and will only get better with Amare, but they're still gonna have to step up on D if they want to win.

Later

Posted by El Capitan

If the Suns could learn to play good defense they will better then the Spurs, Mavs, Pistons etc.

Im really surprised how well the Grizzlies are this year, I wasn't suspecting them to a be a contender in the Southwest. They have really improved their game with the additons of Damon Stoudamire, Hakkim Warrick, and Eddie Jones. Another team im surprised with is Houston, everyone had them ahead of the Mavericks with Luther Head, Stromile Swift and Rafer Alston added to the team. They are a huge dissapointment this year.

Posted by Axis

Anybody else impressed with Kobe scoring 81 points?

****ing amazing. Seriously, best player in the NBA by far.

MVP.

Just assuming that people will come in this thread and say, "And how many assists did Kobe have?"

Look: That doesn't really matter. The offense wasn't flowing, no one could hit any shots. Kobe had to step up and drain the jumpers. No need for him to make passes to people that can't make the shots. He's far less selfish than he was in the past; now you can consider him a team leader.

Posted by El Capitan

I was going to say the assist thing...thats pretty much the real reason why most people would rather take MJ and Lebron over him. Kobe is great I will give him that, but he is not up to Jorand standards. Maybe if he wins a ring this year then we'll talk.

Posted by Moogs

You know his coach is only letting him do that this year to show him one man can't win a championship.

Don't compare Kobe to Wilt or Jordan. He doesn't like it and neither do I. It just doesn't seem fair, seeing how there were different player types back then.

Moogs: That's retarded.

Bottom Line: He wanted the W; he led his team through and won the game finishing with 81 points.

Posted by Moogs

But It is the truth. I mean Phil Jackson did it with Jordan. Why not do it with Kobe?

Moogs, you've lost. You just asked me a question, for justification on a quote that you already stated to be fact. So do stop with the assumptions.

Phil Jackson; simply put wants W's. Kobe does what he does best. Shoot.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I haven't been following NBA yet. I'll pick it up after the Superbowl, probably.

But how are the Suns doing so far? I know they usually fail, miserably. Is this season any different?

Posted by Axis

27-15 and in 1st in the Pacific West. This year they're doing pretty good.

Posted by Momentum

Quoting Fei-on: But how are the Suns doing so far? I know they usually fail, miserably. Is this season any different?

Ever since the Suns got Steve Nash back last year they've been a completely different team from years past. They actually win more than they lose now, which is a change.

Later

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I heard Amare Stoudemire (or however you spell it) is having to sit out this season. That sucks because he's the life blood of the team, usually. If they had him on the court, they'd be doing even better than they currently are.

I think Shawn Marion is just as good if not better.

And the Lakers win it again; we're going to the playoffs.

Like I said, Kobe wasn't ever in it to outscore Wilt or make NBA History, that's all the individual crap that can be left behind. Kobe; in the beginning of the game didn't take that many shots, instead he was focusing on his teammates. Later in the the quarter when they needed buckets, Kobe was the man to go to. So no more selfish crap.

Posted by Moogs

I hope the Grizzlies don't get the 8th spot in the playoffs this year maybe 6 or 5.

Posted by El Capitan

Quoting Roinkz: I think Shawn Marion is just as good if not better.

And the Lakers win it again; we're going to the playoffs.

Like I said, Kobe wasn't ever in it to outscore Wilt or make NBA History, that's all the individual crap that can be left behind. Kobe; in the beginning of the game didn't take that many shots, instead he was focusing on his teammates. Later in the the quarter when they needed buckets, Kobe was the man to go to. So no more selfish crap.

Amare is cleared to workout I believe, he is predicted to be back after the Allstar break.

The whole team revolves around Nash, I know people say, "oh you can have some other guy do that blah blah blah." Nash is the one creating better shots for his team. He is probally the best PG that can pass and score with ease.

Shawn Marion is serviceable a little underated but he is nothing compared to Amare. Amare is in a whole nother league. Amare will be dunking over Duncan and KG anytime soon. Also Marion has the ugliest shot I have ever seen.

Posted by MadeULook

I think Kobe is a great scorer but I doubt he couldve scored 81 against a better team in the league or 50 plus in a playoff game, and he could never be like MJ, he lacks the leadership skills.

He scored 62 against Dallas, which is very impressive.

Kobe will get better at leading his team throughout his years. He still has lots of time. Also, over the recent games he hasn't been shooting the ball as much, rather he has been passing.

I say MVP, hes been the talk around the league all season. Plus, he deserves it, he's a great man with excellent sportsmanship.

Haters, step the fuck off. Kobe Bryant has led his young team to 3-1 over the "superior" Phoenix Suns. I wouldn't be surprised if they make it to the Championship this year. They're on a roll that I've never seen the Lakers franchise play with. They have young inexperienced players and they're able to pull 3 to 1 over the Suns? Due to who? Kobe and Lamar. Lakers have been dominant over the Suns in all 4 games and could've swept the Suns if they were to pull it together in Game 1.

But holy shit, Game 4 was the best game I've seen all year. It was the most exciting game I've ever watched. All hail Smush, Luke, Kwame, Lamar, and the "real" MVP.

Oh yeah, I've heard in the Arizona newspaper Steve Nash was announced MVP, though the league hasn't made it official, I bet he did. Congrats, even though you didn't deserve it, you hippie.

And c'mon anyone who has been following the Play-offs. I want some discussion.

Posted by Hyper

How's this for discussion

suns beat your precious lakers in game six :cool: thought I'd rub it in some more. game seven is still up in the air though.

Posted by Momentum

Kobe may be the best player in basketball, but to be MVP you have to make your team better to win games. Tonight was a prime example of even when Kobe was playing well in the first half (23 points), his team was independent of his example and played like absolute crap (how many shots did Kwame miss from less than 5 feet tonight, anyway?). By halftime the game was all but out of reach already and Kobe flat out gave up. His team was doing nothing, and he became flat, unenergetic, and lifeless for the rest of the game, spending the last half of the 4th quarter on the bench. Not very MVP like, if you ask me. He's a hell of a player, probably the best in the game today, but even he can't beat a team as good as Phoenix alone, which is what happened tonight.

Keep it up Suns. You shut a lot of people up tonight.

Later

Posted by Anethemo Rex

THE SUNS ****ING WON AGAINST THE CLIPPERS AGAIN OMG THEIR GONNA WIN THE PLAYOFFS.

seriously i think they will win. what do u guys think? i think it will be the suns and the heat and i think the suns are finaly gonna get the win.

Posted by Random

Suns will win back to back series in Game 7, beating both LA Teams. I predict it... Clippers will win the next game. Infact theyll dominate in the next game but Suns win game 7.

Posted by young dro

Quoting Roinkz: Okay so I thought today would be a great day to post this. Here, you can discuss about the NBA, and everything related to it.

On the Lakers game:
First off, I'm glad Shaq finally dropped the whole deal with Kobe Bryant.

Boy. I'm posting at the half right now, and what a crazy one it was. Amazing. I think this is the best the Lakers have played all year. Lamar Odom is playing astounding. Kobe is hitting his mid-range jumpers. Andrew Bynum, the 17 year old straight from High School, dunking on Shaq. Freakin' awesome.

Okay so the third quarter for the Lakers is where they pretty much fell apart with Bryant being on the bench. Bryant is unstoppable. Lakers take it. I'm happy.

Discuss.
yo did the heat loose.

Posted by young dro

did the heat loose?

uh, yeah and that was a long time ago..

i did say "lakers take it". READ!

Posted by El Capitan

Both conference finals are tied one a piece, the Heat look like they can keep up with the Pistons and this series will go all the way to game 6 atleast.

As for the Suns and Mavs series, this could easily go as low as five or high as seven. Suns lost there only good defensive player and they are running a to man rotation from the bench. The Mavs look a little shakey because they played 7 games of slow paced ball against the Spurs and aren't quite used to the fast paced game yet. You can see in game two that Nash and Marion aren't their normal selves Nash only had 2 points with one shot in the second half and Marion looked ok but he could have done some more on both sides of the ball. After the two games at Phoenix we will get a general idea of whos going to win this series.

Posted by Chiaroscuro

Piston's cant hold the Heat.

Suns win when Nash steps up.

Heat/Suns with Heat in 7.

I'm really happy with the Lakers play as of late. Their bench seems extremely deep and we seem to be up there with the "elite teams", like San Antonio, Dallas, and Phoenix.

The win yesterday over the best team in the NBA, Dallas was HUGE for us (snapping their 13 game win streak). For one, we didn't have Lamar Odom or Kwame Brown, arguably the second and third best players on the team, yet we still pulled out a victory. Now that we're on a 4 game winnning streak and 12 games over .500, which is GREAT news.

This year, I think you can safely say that Kobe is up there with Jordan, I mean the guy does everything, he's getting a lot of assists, trusting his teammates, and just decides when to turn it up a notch on offense, while still shutting down guys on defense. He's the greatest.

I made this thread about a year ago, so I'm really looking forward to the Lakers-Heat game again. The Christmas game was really disappointing.

Oh, and how about the Suns? They've already have a 16 game win streak once in the season and now they're hot again with 6 straight, I mean, I felt the Lakers should be on top with the way they've been playing but the Suns are just a whole new team now with Amare healthier than ever and Nash BETTER than he was his MVP season. These guys are going to go FAR this year.

Posted by Hyper

The Suns haven't been good against San Antonio for years now. I don't see them making them past the Spurs if they end up getting paired in the playoffs.

Utah and Dallas are also strong teams this year, the other two teams Phoenix has the most trouble with. Though if Amare and Nash keep playing how they have been together and James Jones steps up his game like he did against the Warriors, I can see some wins against them.

Wow, disappointing loss for the Lakers tonight. I mean, it was MEMPHIS. How can we beat one of the elite teams in the NBA right now, go back on the road, and lose to MEMPHIS?! It's absolutely ridiculous. The consistency level has definitely gone up, but it needs to go up another notch for us to be contenders of the "elite teams". I mean, any other elite team would be able to dish out a W after defeating a really good team. I thought the game against the Mavericks would really change their overall mindsets as a team, but I guess not.

Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown can't come back into the lineup any quicker.

Big game against Houston tonight. Let's see if the Lakers can put yesterday's game aside and get a W out of this one.

EDIT:: Huge disappointment, don't want to talk about it.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

It's so rare the Arizona has a decent sports team. The D-backs were excellent for one season, and then decided to stop winning baseball games. The Cardinals aren't good, but I think they'll do well next season.

However, the Suns haven't been a particularly good team since Barkley played with them, I think in 1994. They've been okay, but never dominating like they are now. They just had a 15 game winning streak, and now they just had another 16 in a row. Statistically, they're second in the NBA, but Dallas has only one more win than they do, and Dallas also has one more loss.

But a team can have the best season in the history of the game, and it doesn't amount to a whole lot if they're knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. I'm just worried that they'll blow it in the playoffs.

Posted by Hyper

Make that seventeen.

lol @ lakers losing today

Posted by Fei-on Castor

They play the Timberwolves next, so it will almost certainly be 18 very soon.

You never know what Garnett will do though.

Posted by Hyper

Doesn't look like the Bulls are going to make it to the finals. I was hoping to see Suns/Bulls. :( But right now the Suns need to focus against the Spurs. I HATE THE SPURS.

oh and Dirk won MVP.

Posted by Momentum

This is going to be the most embarrassing/awkward MVP presentation ever. I can't wait.

"Uh, Dirk, here's your trophy. Even though 90% of voters want their votes back, I guess this is yours. Sorry Steve."

Later

Posted by

Utah Jazz Gonna Win It All

Posted by Hyper

Nah, they're going down to the Warriors. Baron Davis busted his nut all over Kirilenko's face last night. It was great.

Posted by Ant

sigh, is anybody happy when teams like The Warriors win?

Posted by

Bull**** warriors are gonna lose they are not gonna have another game like they did yesturday nobody was missing threes that isnt gonna happen again utah is gonna beat them tomorrow in there own house then take it back to utah and close the door on that sad chapter. Bwhahahahahahahhahahah

Posted by Hyper

The Warriors will not lose on their home court.

Posted by

yea im sure they wont and the mav were suppost to wipe the floor the warriors but that didnt happen so lets not get ahead of ourselves

Posted by Hyper

Everyone knew before the playoffs started that if Dallas got paired with Golden State it would be a challenge for them. The Jazz are the favorites to win this round but I don't think it'll happen.

edit: Jazz won at GS. Crazy. Oh well, at least my John Stockton and Karl Malone posters are gonna serve a purpose.

Posted by

Quoting Hyper: Everyone knew before the playoffs started that if Dallas got paired with Golden State it would be a challenge for them. The Jazz are the favorites to win this round but I don't think it'll happen.

edit: Jazz won at GS. Crazy. Oh well, at least my John Stockton and Karl Malone posters are gonna serve a purpose.

john stockton is the man if you have john stockton posters your the coolest guy on the planet greatest pg of all time he is!!!

Posted by Near

So how bout them Cavs!?!?!

To be honest, my team is the Nuggets, but their out, so now I am going for the Cavs. After their win over the Pistons, its starting to look more and more like they just might win this thing.

Now I know a lot of people have issues with James, and I'll admit I did to. There was a lot of hype about this kid, but to be honest, he's starting to shine. He really is a great player and he is without a doubt the one that is leading his team to this championship game.

Posted by Hyper

I'm going for the Cavs too. I just can't stand the Spurs. Terrible.

Posted by Nihilus

Yeah, the Spurs are the most boring team in sports, the bad thing is they are boring because tey are good at what they do. Last night Lebron was completley shut down with 14 points and 4 assist on 4-16 shooting. Bruce Bowen is a bad man on D. I hope the Spurs fall apart, but, it's just not likley. Lebron is gong to have to take over whether he likes it or not. This series will show us alot about who Lebron is going to be....Jordan or Ewing.

Posted by Crazy K

I have to go with the cavs as well. I was rooting for the Pistons, but since they lost I will be going for the cavs. But really I could care less who wins since I don't care to much for basketball, but it would be awesome to see the Spurs loose.

Posted by Near

Well as of right now the Spurs are up 2 to 0, so the Cavs better do something this next game or its probably over.

Posted by Nihilus

Well, it looks like the Cavs are all but done. My buddy made a bet with me after the cavs were already down 2-0, what a dumbass. Ah well, easy 30 bucks.

edit: Well the cavs got swept and I'm thirty dollars richer :) My only regret being I didn't raise him.

Posted by Zac

GREG ODEN RIP CITY FOR LIFE

Posted by Chiaroscuro

Garnett to the Celtics in a 7-1 trade!

Is Boston's new Big 3 a serious threat in the East for 08??

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Man, it's tough living in Arizona. The Suns are our only pro team that consistently does well. I mean, we have the Cardinals, the D-backs and the Coyotes. The D-backs have done okay from time to time.

But the Suns usually do well. They usually make the playoffs.

I caught the game against Seattle a day or two ago. I missed the one last night, but I'm glad I did because it turns out the Suns lost to the Lakers (119-98)

Posted by Hyper

Watched the Seattle/Suns game and was impressed by Kevin Durant. Glad the Suns won though. Last night against the Lakers was disappointing. I watched almost until half time then fell asleep. When I woke up, it was looking pretty ugly in the 4th so I just shut it off.

Posted by Gang Starr

What is wrong with the Wizards? My team is playing like chit!

Posted by mfshoj

Gasol to the Lakers, Shaq to the Suns, Kidd to the Mavs. Man...

Posted by Jim Rome

This is going to be the best season since the late 80's and early 90's. And that's just with the West. F IT. Move Boston and the Pistons to the West and lets watch all those good teams pound the eefff out of each other for the next 4 months.

Posted by mfshoj

When playoff time comes around, I can't wait to see the seedings. It's gonna get real crazy with so many teams deserving of just that 8th seed.

Lakers all the way!

Posted by Hyper

Kidd isn't to the Mavs yet. Last I read someone involved in the trade was blocking it.

Posted by Jim Rome

George is blocking it. Kobe's pinky is blocking the Lakers. ALL THE POTENTIAL IS SLIPPING AWAY

Posted by mfshoj

My man Kob is gonna sit it out for 6 weeks..****. Once we get Bynum and Kobe back, I expect us to just keepin gellin'.

I'm sure the J-Kidd deal will still go down in the future.

Posted by mfshoj

All-Star Weekend is just around the corner. Ya'll gotta vote for Dwight!

Posted by Jim Rome

Lakers are in like 3rd place but just 3 games out of being in the playoffs altogether. That is tight. If Kobe sits out the six weeks, I don't see them even making the playoffs. OUCH.

Posted by mfshoj

Okay, I guess he's gonna pass on the surgery, but he's gonna have to get it sometime soon. The Lakers always get hit with the injury bug, it's ridiculous.

Posted by Jim Rome

Yesterday they said he would play through it. Which will okay if he can handle the pain and all. The biggest risk is doing more damage say 3-4 weeks down the road then he will need surgery and will miss the playoffs. Not a good place to be in right now if you're Laker Fan.

Posted by mfshoj

OH-HO-HO-HO BABY!! DWIGHT HOWARD!

Posted by Jim Rome

IT GOES
JORDAN
DR J
DOMINIQUE
VINCE
AND NOW
D HOWARD

Posted by mfshoj

what up hyper?

how you feelin'?

Raja gets major karma for that clothesline on Kob by the way.

Posted by Hyper

that was a pretty good game despite the outcome. can't wait for the playoffs. i'm hoping for another first round laker elimination by the suns, but that job might have to fall to another team this year. if not, the suns can take care of it in a later round. :cool:

Posted by mfshoj

Nah, I'm afraid the Lakers are gonna have to take whoever is in front of them out. Mind you we didn't even have Bynum that game.

Posted by Hyper

When do the Lakers EVER have Bynum? I can't remember the last time I saw him play. Keep in mind I've actually missed watching most of this season.

Posted by mfshoj

Well right before he got injured, he was getting monster double doubles, and practically destroyed Stoudemire every time the Lakers played the Suns early in the season. The kid is a absolute beast and once he gets back, and Lamar goes to his natural position at the 3 and Pau goes to HIS natural position at the 4, ****s gonna be scary.

Posted by Jim Rome

The Suns need to avoid the Lakers at all cost. They just don't match up good with them. I hate Derek Fisher with all my heart, but the man knows his role and is solid. Something they didn't have the past few times in the playoffs vs the Suns. At least with Shaq, Amare can guard Pao, but that didn't look too good either the other night.

Posted by mfshoj

Now we're in first in the Western Conference, just gotta hold that spot up with an easy W tonight against Seattle.

Posted by muffla

I hope the bulls win tonite, I got money on them.

as always if you wanna join a free sport betting sight click the link in my sig.

Posted by tina.anderson

The Bulls are a terrible disappointment this season. I would rather see them not make the playoffs and get into the draft lottery than get swept by the Celtics or Pistons.

Posted by mfshoj

****it, Gasol is injured.

Posted by ElroyJetson

obviously not too many nba fans in here...playoffs have been excellent IMO so far...especially the western conference games (good call on TNT for getting most of the the western conference games)...anyone been watching...jazz looking like they might make a comeback in a few mins..

Posted by mfshoj

yeah, I'm the biggest Basketball fan here by far. LAKERS ALL THE WAY

Posted by Ant

The Lakers just blew a ****ing 25 point lead at the half. They do this **** all the time. ****ing hell.

Posted by Hyper

BOSSSSSSSSTON

Posted by Ant

They earned it. lakers played sloppy defense the majority of the finals.

Posted by Sterling

So happy.
Also great because I live in boston.

Posted by mfshoj

****ing bull****, we didn't have Bynum, thats like the Big 3 playing in the Finals without either Allen, Pierce, or Garnett, they wouldn't have been able to do it, so next year.

Posted by Hyper

odom, bryant, and gasol was a pretty big 3

Posted by strahanned

Except Gasol showed up one game the entire PLAYOFFS, and Odom is too **** inconsistent. Bryant is a big one, sure.

Anyway, hoping we can ship Odom out for Josh Smith or Ron Artest, either way it'll be a defensive and offensive upgrade.

Posted by strahanned

Houston getting Ron Artest is just retarded. WOW.

Posted by Pacifico

If anybody should get Artest it should be my Nuggs, haha.

Seriously though, losing Camby and Najera were major blows to an already porous defense. The Nuggets scored enough points last year to win an exceptional amount of games, but with Melo trade rumors looming, and a still unsigned J.R. Smith, management doesn't seem to have things sorted out for next season. They just need to have patience on the Iverson/Melo era, which spans no longer than a complete season. Roster stability is the most important thing. That doesn't mean we wouldn't welcome an Arenas or Paul with open arms either. :/

Posted by strahanned

Sorry, the Nuggets aren't going anywhere..and for a while. There's no way they're even gonna get past the second round of the playoffs unless they match up against a weak squad. And that's impossible because all of the Western Conference teams are powerhouses now. If the Playoff race was this tight this year, imagine what it'll be like next year with the Trailblazers, Clippers, and other teams in the mix. The Nuggets don't have what it takes. They should get rid of Iverson and make a move for the future..

Posted by strahanned

Old news, but Josh Childress going to play in Europe might start a trend. Brandon Jennings a high school prodigy skipped the one year requirement of college and went on to play in Europe. Josh Childress got about 30 mil for 3 years, and there's talk that Kobe, LeBron and Wade are willing to play there also. ****in' Europe.

Posted by O.T.L

wonder how long until a world cup is held. (for basketball, besides the olympics)

Posted by strahanned

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if the NBA is gonna go global. That'd be crazy, the schedule would be hectic, flying from one area to another..but hey, it'd be fun.

Posted by doomsday428

Love watching the games why not watch and make money at the same time try
oddsmaker.com Great sign up bounes excellent promotions sports poker casino no download needed for casino.Enter Ref Id:14895961 at sign up page at oddsmaker.com/join

Posted by El Capitan

The NBA isn't going to global anytime soon. The euroleagues would have to sign a lot of free agents from the NBA for there to even be a discussion about it.