Project Offset

Posted by Axis

I've known about this little project for quite sometime now and noticed there hadn't been a thread about this, so I'll go ahead and give you guys the scoop about it.

Project Offset is run by a small group of developers who are trying to make the worlds first Epic Fantasy FPS. Don't get me wrong, there's alot of FPS's out there but you can't look over this one. In the game you can choose different classes and join up with clans to participate in certain missions. You can choose from a variety of vehicles (not modern) ranging from Dragons you can fly, horses you can ride, seige weapons such as catapults, etc.

Getting more into detail of how the game is played, they give you the following scenario in which you could participate in a castle seige.
[IMG]http://www.projectoffset.com/images/siege_small.jpg[/IMG]
Team A (Evil) primary objectives:

Primary Objective: Transport siege weapons within firing distance of the castle
Primary Objective: Destroy the castle's outer defenses
Primary Objective: Infiltrate the castle and kill all the innocents

Team A (Evil) secondary objectives:

1. Secondary Objective: Capture the castle's guard towers
2. Secondary Objective: Destroy the side wall to the castle

Team B (Good) primary objectives:

1. Primary Objective: Light all beacons to call for reinforcements
2. Primary Objective: Defend the innocents for 30 minutes until reinforcements arrive

Team B (Good) secondary objectives:

1. Secondary Objective: Prevent the enemy's siege weapons from reaching firing distance of the castle
2. Secondary Objective: Defend the guard towers
3. Secondary Objective: Construct a barricade to the castle gate

Another gametype that they've announced is Voyage (remember, these are all in the works as of this moment).
-Team A (Good) must abandon their city and head for a new land by ship. -Team B (Evil) must stop them using whatever means necessary - dragons, smaller boats, etc.

Offset Engine

[quote]The Offset Engine is a complete platform for creating next generation games. Though it aims to be a top tier engine, OE is not just built with large developers in mind. Every aspect of the engine is designed around the goal of reducing development time and cost, while empowering designers and artists with the tools they need to create spectacular visual effects and immersive environments.

Unified Lightning and Shading
[quote]The Offset Engine uses a fully 64-bit floating point HDR rendering pipeline. This allows pixels to encode color values which are brighter than the displayable range of the monitor, enabling cinematic color precision.

The engine fully supports normal mapping technology, which allows source art comprised of millions of polygons to be reduced to just a few thousand polygons with no apparent loss of detail.

The Offset Engine's advanced shader system allows artists to create elaborate effects without needing a programmer. Complex effects which might normally take a programmer several hours to create and debug can now be created by an artist in seconds.

Several different types of light sources are supported, including omni light, omni projector, spotlight, spotlight projector, directional, and sky light. The projector lights have the ability to cast any shader into the scene, allowing for interesting projected effects such as caustics or "strobing" effects.

[quote]On the left is source art comprised of 1.2 million polygons
On the right is the resulting in game model comprised of just a couple thousand polygons

[center][/center]
[quote][center]Artists created a custom skin shader for this character, approximating the subtle effect of subsurface scattering[/center]

That's just a little sneak peak at the game, you can figure out everything else here at [url="www.projectoffset.com"]Project Offset's website[/url].

Also, 2 movies can be located here: [url="http://www.gametrailers.com/search.php"]Link[/url]

Followed with a crowd-goblin test [url="http://www.projectoffset.com/technology.html"]here[/url]. (Located about mid page)

For myself, I can't wait to see more of this game. I don't expect a release until 2008 at the earliest.

EDIT: Project Offset is currently aimed at Next-Gen PC hardware, but they would also love to develop it on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. No Revolution version mentioned.

Posted by Klarth

A revo version would be very nice... And developing a new FPS engine from scratch? That's a pretty bold move for an unknown developer.

Wonder how it'll compare to the Doom 3/HL2 engines though.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'm guessing we won't be seeing this game for awhile... if ever.

Posted by nich

Quoting Vampiro: I'm guessing we won't be seeing this game for awhile... if ever.

Agreed. And even though the game is outlined on the site its hard to imagine what a fantasy epic FPS will play like, It's supposed to be FPS but one of the characters is a warrior and he wields a sword...

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Vampiro: I'm guessing we won't be seeing this game for awhile... if ever.

People said the same thing about Halo while it was still in dev as an RTS.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: People said the same thing about Halo while it was still in dev as an RTS.

And technically we never saw that either.

Posted by Speedfreak

There's like a million engines that offer this and there's a very good reason dev teams make their own.