Dr.robotnik or Dr.eggman?

Posted by fig roll

when i was young we all played the sonic games and we allways called him, Dr.robotnik, then a few years later they were calling him, Dr.eggman.
What happened?

Posted by Klarth

The American market was having trouble with the pronounciation of "Robotnik". They're also planning on changing Sonic's name to "Sonnik" while they're at it.

Posted by Ant

I believe they always called him Eggman in Japan...so they finally just decided to change him to Eggman over here, too.

Posted by Slade

I just made up an excuse for myself, like his name is Eggman Robotnik or something, and the show is just now familiar enough with him to be on a first-name basis.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Slade: I just made up an excuse for myself, like his name is Eggman Robotnik or something, and the show is just now familiar enough with him to be on a first-name basis.

That excuse doesn't hold very much water. His full name is Dr. Ivo Robotnik, or Julian Kintobor, depending on which continuity you believe.
:-D

I like to believe the former, and that "Eggman is just a nickname".

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Kintobor's first name was Ovi, according to the Fleetway series, but there's some dispute about that - some issues he's called Ovi Robotnik; others, Ivo Kintobor.

Ovi, though, links nicely with the eggs. Eggman was always a nickname in the Fleetway series, also, but Ant's quite right - in the Japanese version of Sonic 2, he even has 'EGGMAN' on the side of his ship.

What I don't understand is how people can have problems saying 'Robotnik'.

Posted by Linko_16

American games gave him the name Robotnik, though you can see "Eggman" plastered on the side of the Airship in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. If you ask me, Robotnik is a far more redeeming and all-around awesome name.

Posted by Proto Man

Must of been Sega of America then... because I believe that the manual of the first Sonic game calls him Ivo Robotnik.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Wings]What I don't understand is how people can have problems saying 'Robotnik'.
1) It's America we're talking about, and
2) I was kidding.

Well, oops. If anyone was going to have problems saying it, I would've thought it would have been Japan. :)

Posted by fig roll

thanks for all that, i think that the name Dr.robotnik is much better than eggman and it calls him robotnik on his sega game Dr.robotniks mean bean machine.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Wings: Well, oops. If anyone was going to have problems saying it, I would've thought it would have been Japan. :)

lobotuniku!

That sounds like some really nasty form of brain surgery.

Posted by Alex_DX

I think Eggman sounds more god then Robotnik

Posted by Raptor

By any name, be it Robotnik, Eggman, or Tina, he is a disgusting, pathetic excuse for a villain, one I am always positively delighted to crush. Clean up time!

Posted by tilastrinity727

I just call him fat ***