Acoustic Songs Thread

Posted by Kamek

I made this thread a while back on VGC, and I'm making it again in hopes of getting some good recommendations. I want to know if you guys could recommend any good acoustic songs, acoustic covers, bands that only play with acoustic guitar etc.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted by coromoro

"Classical Gas" by Eric Clapton is a pretty good acoustic song. :cool:

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Opeth's "Da[COLOR="White"]m[/COLOR]nation" is all you need.

Posted by Kamek

Yeah, a while back Shin-Ra introduced me to Opeth, and I have to say I really enjoyed their material. The more death-metal vocals had to grow on me, but I definitely like them.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Harmonium.

Posted by s0ul

Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution!

Posted by Kamek

Quoting s0ul: Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution!

I've actually heard of them, but I don't know, that type of music doesn't really appeal to me. I think it's called ska? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by Klarth

Nest - "The Silvershade Lynx"
Dream Theater - "Speak To Me"
Agalloch - "A Desolation Song"
Pain of Salvation - "Ashes" (Acoustic)

Quoted post: Yeah, a while back Shin-Ra introduced me to Opeth, and I have to say I really enjoyed their material. The more death-metal vocals had to grow on me, but I definitely like them.

No, no. This is a completely clean album. No death vocals. Extremely well done.

I can send it to you if you'd like.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Kamek: I've actually heard of them, but I don't know, that type of music doesn't really appeal to me. I think it's called ska? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, the frontman and horn section belongs to a ska band with a very similar line-up but BOTAR isn't really ska. Even when they are sort-of playing ska you can't tell because no one ever plays ska on an acoustic guitar.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Buckethead's Colma album. Fantastic.

****ation isn't acoustic, it's clean guitar with some acoustic passages.

The greater portion of Evening with Petrucci/Rudess is fantastic.

Quoted post: ****ation isn't acoustic, it's clean guitar with some acoustic passages.

Yes, but there's quite a bit of acoustic. It should satisfy him

Posted by Shin-Ra

Ulver's Kveldssanger is probably the best acoustic album I've yet hear. It's all clean, acoustic, beautiful, atmospheric and extremely folkish. Recommended.

Blackmore's Night's album Fires at Midnight is very (Irish) Folk oriented with less, but still good, acoustic passages.

Agalloch's album The Mantle is among my favorite works ever, and has some nice acoustic songs. Like Opeth, but to a lesser degree, they incorporate a lot of metal elements into their music such as harsh vocals. If you dig that, you'll like this. Beautiful album.

Ainulindale's The Lay of Leithian has some extremely beautiful acoustic songs. Unfortunately, the vocals are spoken and done in the typical neofolk style. It's good if only for the music.

Other than those, Darkwood (neofolk) is decent but nothing spectacular, Harmonium (as mentioned by Neg) is good, and Anathema's Judgement album (highly recommended by the way, I think you'll like it) has some good acoustic tracks.

Quoting Vampiro: Yes, but there's quite a bit of acoustic. It should satisfy him

Death Whispered a Lullabye!

Posted by Hyper

I second/third Agalloch's The Mantle. It's perfect if you liked Opeth and you want some good acoustic stuff.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Klarth: Dream Theater - "Speak To Me"

The Silent Man :D Their Acoustic Dreams bootleg is pretty good too.

ooh, this is much harder than I thought.

Velvet Revolver - Loving The Alien
In Flames - Acoustic Medley
The John Butler Trio - What You Want, Treat Yo Mama, Betterman, Foundation (15 minutes of really insane acoustic/lapsteel playing)

Pretty much everything else that's already been said is fantastic too. Opeth, Agalloch and An Evening With John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess (which is really more classical than acoustic) too.

Posted by Hyper

Oh, here's another band: The Ventures. They're 60's instrumental surf rock stuff. Pretty cool. I recommend the songs "Pipeline," "Apache," and "Walk Don't Run."

Posted by NegativeTrend

Quoting Shin-Ra: Ulver's Kveldssanger is probably the best acoustic album I've yet hear. It's all clean, acoustic, beautiful, atmospheric and extremely folkish. Recommended.

Seconded. I just couldn't type it out because it's Nordic jibberish of an album name.

Quoted post: Seconded. I just couldn't type it out because it's Nordic jibberish of an album name.

I third that second.

Posted by The Punisher

Imapled Northern Moonforest, possibly the greatest acoustic band ever. ;)

Posted by Kamek

Guys, I appreciate all the suggestions, but can you put me on some of the better individual tracks for some of these bands?

Posted by gOdOfWaR

zakk wylde "stillborn" and "blessed hellride"

Posted by Altinure

mmmm, i love playing "torn" by natalie imbruglia on the guitar. it's such a pretty song. greatest song to ever come out of the 90s, for sure.

Posted by s0ul

Sublime's acoustic CD! Boss DJ!

oh that's right you just want acoustic neo viking progressive melodic thrash death symphonic black folk metal

Posted by Hyper

Agalloch - ...And The Great Cold Death Of The Earth
The Ventures - Pipeline

Both good songs.

Posted by Porcupine

Pipeline isn't acoustic.

Posted by Ch

My favorite acoustic stuff is as follows:
- The whole Sublime acoustic album
- The first half of Face of Melinda by Opeth
- Any Stone Temple Pilots Unlugged songs
- Classical Gas by Mason Williams
- Acoustic version of "Rooster" by Alice In Chains.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Porcupine: Pipeline isn't acoustic.

It's close enough.

Posted by Arwon

What the hell is wrong with this board that a thread about accoustic guitar has had 27 posts and no mention of Bob fucking Dylan?

Try "The Times They Are a Changin" or "Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall" and "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" for particularly stripped down, accoustic type songs.

BOB DYLAN, PEOPLE.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Arwon: What the hell is wrong with this board that a thread about accoustic guitar has had 27 posts and no mention of Bob fucking Dylan?

Try "The Times They Are a Changin" or "Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall" and "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" for particularly stripped down, accoustic type songs.

BOB DYLAN, PEOPLE.

Get outta here with your golden oldies.

Posted by Arwon

PHILISTINES. The man was a genius, even if he should have stopped and, probably, died, 20 years ago.

Posted by sabre

Why has nobody recommended A Past And Future Secret by Blind Guardian? Beautiful song.

Posted by Klarth

New recommendation: Green Carnation - "Alone".

Whoa.

Quoted post: Why has nobody recommended A Past And Future Secret by Blind Guardian? Beautiful song.

Probably cuz BG sucks.

Posted by sabre

Probably cuz stfu.

Posted by Crazy Canuck

Anything by Bob Dylan, he's the greatest.

"Catch the wind" by Donovan is an awesome acoustic song too.

"Don't You Cry" by Kamelot.

I forgot about that one. Really excellent, though.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Sabredog: Why has nobody recommended A Past And Future Secret by Blind Guardian? Beautiful song.

Harvest Of Sorrow too.

Posted by sabre

Yes, definitely. Bard's Song, as well, while we're at it.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Any old Phil Keaggy... The wind and the wheat, In the Light of Common Day, What a Day... There's a lot more, but I'm kinda tired right now.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting s0ul:

oh that's right you just want acoustic neo viking progressive melodic thrash death symphonic black folk metal

Yeah, because "Any reccommendations would be appreciated" means only death metal...:rolleyes:

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting s0ul:

You're an idiot.

Posted by s0ul

Jeez guys, everyone else seemed to think it was funny.

I know I laughed.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Beethovans 4th or 5th, preferably 5th. Last I checked symphanies were still acoustic, anyway:cool: