game companys trying to steal nintendo's thunder

Posted by scylla

http://www.gamingpast.com/genesis.html

I've noticed this page from a google adsense ad offering all 700+ games for the genesis. They have the same kind of offers for the snes & nes games also. (just look at the bottom of the page to find the links) Obviously, they're trying to steal nintendo's thunder by making these deals to compete with nintendos revolution plan to let people download & emulate the old games on the revolution system itself. Any comments?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

This is just an emulator and ROM pack - these have been around for ages. It's a novel way to attract the business, to be fair, but this is in no way 'stealing Nintendo's thunder'.

Posted by Speedfreak

Slightly illegal.

There's a disclaimer at the bottom, saying that the software is obsolete.

Which raises a question, if nothing else. Can software even become obsolete?

Posted by Speedfreak

Yes.

Games aren't just software, they are entertainment media, so they cannot be obsolete. Otherwise selling copies of music taken from vinyl would be legal.

Posted by GameMiestro

Vinyl isn't obsolete.

Yes, it is. So are games consoles like the NES or whatever.

Just because they're still used doesn't mean they aren't obsolete (although they haven't been superseded properly for use in DJing, I guess).

Posted by Linko_16

I'm also inclined to mention GameTap, though I couldn't say for sure they got their idea from Nintendo.

Posted by Random

It's rather ironic. I mean everyones psyched about the Revolution and how you can play the NES and SNES but I played the Emulators and played those games years ago. It's nothing new what Nintendo's doing. And no they aren't stealing Nintendo's thunder. Something Nintendo I believe was trying to get a deal in.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting SomebodyRandom: It's rather ironic. I mean everyones psyched about the Revolution and how you can play the NES and SNES but I played the Emulators and played those games years ago. It's nothing new what Nintendo's doing. And no they aren't stealing Nintendo's thunder. Something Nintendo I believe was trying to get a deal in.

Agreed, Nintendo is just using an emulator for their games.

It's that simple, really ;)

If anything, Nintendo stole emulator's thunder, but we all know Nintendo can't steal anything because they are god, so negate that.

Posted by Speedfreak

You two are so fucking retarded. There's never been a single, all-in-one unit that you can sit next to your TV and play old games on perfectly. You've ALWAYS had to use PCs, which isn't anywhere near as user friendly, compatible or comfortable as sitting on a sofa in front of your TV with a controller in your hand.

Posted by Klarth

Which is why modding an Xbox is the best way to play old games on a TV. Again, slightly illegal, but there's no effort towards making profit, so it's alright if you're in Canada.

[quote=GameMiestro]Vinyl isn't obsolete.
bahahahaha are you trying to make yourself look like a ****tard? You're doing a pretty good job of it if so.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Speedfreak: You two are so fucking retarded. There's never been a single, all-in-one unit that you can sit next to your TV and play old games on perfectly. You've ALWAYS had to use PCs, which isn't anywhere near as user friendly, compatible or comfortable as sitting on a sofa in front of your TV with a controller in your hand.

It's not innovative, it's a smart move, but it's not innovative.

Also, please stop getting around the filters, fanboy, it makes you look like more a fucking prick then you already are.

Posted by Speedfreak

Who the hell said it was!?

And how the heck am I a fanboy!? I have all three consoles and a gaming pc, idiot!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, I've fought with Speedy about the fanboy issue before. I've concluded he's not a fanboy at all...

Oh, no, not a fanboy. But definitely biased towards Nintendo.

It's for valid reasons, though. I'm the same. :)

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Wings: Just because they're still used doesn't mean they aren't obsolete (although they haven't been superseded properly for use in DJing, I guess).

1) Actually, if there is a valid use for it, that would mean that it is not completely obsolete. And since there really isnt anything else that a Dj can use (good luck trying to scratch on an mp3 or cassette tape), they still ahve a valid use.

2) Isnt talking about ROMS a no-no?

3) This isnt designed to steal Nintendo's thunder. Its designed to make money for the people who composed the collection.

4) Copyrights only last for so long, so it might just be that they are no longer protected. I'm not sure if enough time has passed to make them not covered, but I would bet that is the case.

Quoting Lord of Spam: 1) Actually, if there is a valid use for it, that would mean that it is not completely obsolete. And since there really isnt anything else that a Dj can use (good luck trying to scratch on an mp3 or cassette tape), they still ahve a valid use.

Bollocks. If there is a valid use for it in the mainstream, then yeah, okay. But CDs are currently mainstream, with DJing being a niche market for vinyl. Not only that, but there's virtually no difference between scratching on a CD-deck and vinyl deck (and I notice you didn't mention CDs in your post).

[quote]4) Copyrights only last for so long, so it might just be that they are no longer protected. I'm not sure if enough time has passed to make them not covered, but I would bet that is the case.
Again, rubbish. Copyrights don't expire until 95 years after publication or 120 from creation, whichever is shorter. Last I checked, the Genesis wasn't around in 1900.