Looks like Tales of Symphonia Wasn't an Exclusive

Posted by Random

I was reading through some PS2 games of 2005 that were released and Tales of Symphonia was released in Japan for the PS2.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/talesofphantasia/media.html
PS2 Trailer

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/talesofphantasia/index.html

Thats the link. Looks like the PS2 version had way more than what the Gamecube version had to offer. Probably would have landed way more sales if they released it on the PS2 here in North America and Europe too.

Posted by coromoro

That was announced quite some time ago. :p:

However, it sucks how it did not remain as an exclusive game for the GCN. :o

Posted by Stalolin

Isn't this old news?

Posted by Klarth

Yes. Veryyy olllld newwwws.

They added new costumes and the overlimits hidden in the Gamecube version (where your character's face cuts across the screen) were actually attainable rather than having to use a gameshark. Oh, and the graphics were downgraded accordingly.

Posted by Zeta

Well, it is GCN exclusive outside of Japan. I want Raine's bunny-girl outfit. :(

Posted by Random

It didn't matter.. I thought the battle system was horrid. The game itself seemed kewl but the Battle System was horrible enough to get me easily bored with it.

Posted by Iris

I liked the battle system more than any other RPG. :( Better than Fire Emblem's at least.

Posted by Random

What? It wasn't even like your standard RPG. I prefer like timed things where you have to wait a certain time and choose your move with a hit and miss sort of thing. This game was like Legend of Mana in the aspect where you walk up and keep hitting a button to attack. It was more or less a Fighting/RPG and it made it really stupid.

Final Fantasy Tactics setup a Strategy CTB Based RPG
and
like Final Fantasy 7's battle system which is a 3 man party ATB based rpg are setups I prefer for RPG's.

Posted by Klarth

Final Fantasy 7 had the worst battle system EVER.

Tales really wouldn't work as turn-based.

Posted by Dexter

I enjoyed the battle system immensely. I found it more entertaining than the average RPG. It kept the fighting more energetic and it made me feel as if I was actually playing more. I'd probably be so bold to say that it's my favorite RPG battle system ever!

Posted by coromoro

The battle-system was one of the things that kept me playing Tales of Symphonia. It is definitely my favourite battle-system out of all the role-playing games that I have played. :)

Posted by Ant

I thought it was too simple and boring. But that's just me.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: The battle-system was one of the things that kept me playing Tales of Symphonia. It is definitely my favourite battle-system out of all the role-playing games that I have played.

I concur.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Vampiro: I concur.

likewise

Posted by holy_flare

[quote=Ant]I thought it was too simple and boring. But that's just me.

I would have to disagree. Yes it "seemed" pretty simple, but because of the sidequests, it made the game a whole lot harder since nearly all of them needed to be triggered at certain times. I have beaten it four times and still haven't finished every single sidequest.
Basically, the sidequests, battle system and the story are the only things that keep me playing.