Game of the Year 2006

Posted by trackjunkie

Hey, I stumbled upon this website (smashgames.com), and it got me thinking about what games you thought were game of the year?

As for me? I'm not too sure.

Posted by Random

GOTY 2006 or 2005...

My 2005 Nominee's

Xbox:
Ninja Gaiden Black

Gamecube:
Super Mario Strikers

PS2:
Dragon Quest VIII

PSP:
GTA Liberty City Stories

DS:
Mario Kart DS

2006 Possible GOTY's

Xbox 360:
Halo 3
Gears of War
Resident Evil 5 (If out)
Oblivion
Lost Odyssey

PS3:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Resident Evil 5 (If out)

Revolution:
SSBO
Metroid Prime 3 (If out)

PS2:
Metal Gear Solid 3: Substinence
Final Fantasy XII
Tales of Legendia

Xbox:
George Romero's City of the Dead
Black

Gamecube:
Zelda Twilight Princess

Posted by trackjunkie

I get the feeling Metroid Prime 3 will be either a launch title or a late 2007 release.

As for 2005...I think Tenkaichi has to win something. A little sloppy, but great innovation.

Posted by Big Boss

I'm not going to bother predicting 2006, as there might be significantly great games that we don't know about for the PS3 and Revolution by the year's end.

GENRE AWARDS

Best Adventure Game:
Indigo Prophecy by Quantic Dream (Xbox, PS2, PC)

Best Action Game:
God of War by Sony CEA (PS2)

Best Fighting Game:
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection by Capcom (Xbox)

Best First-Person Shooter:
Perfect Dark Zero by Rare (Xbox 360)

Best Role Playing Game:
Jade Empire by BioWare (Xbox)

Most Innovative Game:
Shadow of the Colossus by Sony CEI (PS2)

SYSTEM AWARDS

Best GCN Game:
I could pick Resident Evil 4 (Capcom) without having played it for more than 20 minutes because the system had a terribly slow year... but that would be unfair. So N/A.

Best PS2 Game:
God of War by Sony CEA

Best Xbox Game:
Jade Empire by BioWare

Best Xbox 360 Game:
Perfect Dark Zero by Rare

GAME OF THE YEAR:
Jade Empire by BioWare (Xbox)

Honorable Mention: God of War by SCEA (PS2)

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Best all-format release:
There's been a few. I'm going to go with Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones.
Runner-ups: GUN, Burnout Revenge

GameCube:
Uhh. Wow, there really has been nothing, hasn't there? Resi 4. I dunno.

PS2:
God of War.

Xbox:
Don't own one. Sorry. :p

PSP:
GTA: Liberty City Stories. For me, there's nothing better on the system right now.

DS:
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land. Much more replay value than MKDS.

GBA:
Wario Ware: Twisted!

Posted by Shade

Gamecube:

Super Mario Strikers

Xbox:

Jade Empire

Xbox 360:

Hasn't been out for a year, so I don't think it should get a game of the year.

PS2:

SSX: On Tour
God of War
Dragon Quest VII
(couldn't decide :()

GBA:

Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Final Fantasy IV

DS:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Game of the Year:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Honorable Mention: Jade Empire

Posted by kinco

PS2: We Love Katamari
XBOX: Jade Empire
GC: can't say, I've disowned Nintendo :)
Xbox 360: Call of Duty 2
PC: Guild Wars

Posted by Axis

PS2 - God of War
GCN - Resident Evil 4
XBX - Jade Empire
360 - Project Gotham Racing 3

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Big Boss]Best Adventure Game:
Indigo Prophecy by Quantic Dream (Xbox, PS2, PC)

I agree

Best Adventure game of 2005: Indigo Prophecy

The story is what brought it out really. Me and my brother just fell in love with the story and the way you could change the story yourself depending on what you do. It was a very good game.

Best Action Game of 2005: God Of war

Me and my friend played this for the whole weekend and beat it, and all I can say is that its a great game.

Best Fighting Game of 2005: WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2006.

I havent played any other fighting games and this game is just so great.

Best First-Person Shooter: None sadly

Most Innovative Game: Indigo Prophecy

I thought this game was quite Inovative. It had a lot of things that made it different from a lot of games.

Best Game of 2005: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

I really liked this one, it was fun and quite entertaining. Now I need to get MGS2.

Best improved game series of 2005:
Resident Evil 4

How could I leave out RE4. I trully loved the way the game played out. Back in RE 1-3 days it was all horrible controls, now I can finally enjoy an RE game without getting mad. I trully like this one.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Crazy K: Best Game of 2005: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

MGS3 came out in 2004, but you're right anyway! :-D

Posted by GameMiestro

I'll just do it for the DS :)-

Most innovative- Wario Ware Touched
Most improvement in a genre- Mario Kart DS
Best multiplayer- Tony Hawk's American Skateland
Most painful game- Ping Pals
Best overall- Meteos(seriously, this more addictive than Tetris)

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting GameMiestro: I'll just do it for the DS :)-

Most innovative- Wario Ware Touched
Most improvement in a genre- Mario Kart DS
Best multiplayer- Tony Hawk's American Skateland
Most painful game- Ping Pals
Best overall- Meteos(seriously, this more addictive than Tetris)

This is such a fallible list I can't even begin to take it down.

Anyway, Wario Ware is the poor man's feel the magic, give the award to Ace Wright or Trauma Center.

Most improvement in a genre? I have absolutely no idea.

Best multiplayer goes to Mario Kart DS. End of discussion.

Ping Pals wasn't out last year.

Best overall is the only thing on your list that makes sense.

Anyway, the best game of 2005 was Killer 7 for the gamecube.

My predictions for 2006? Probably Psy-Phi for the arcade.

Quoting Darkbackward: Anyway, Wario Ware is the poor man's feel the magic, give the award to Ace Wright or Trauma Center.

You've got the first part of that completely the wrong way round - not only that, but the two games aren't really as similar as everyone seems to make out. Not only that, but games like Ace Wright have existed for fucking ages. That's not innovation.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

More like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

amirite?

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Big Boss]MGS3 came out in 2004, but you're right anyway

Yeah I figured that, but oh well, MGS3 Substance aint out yet so I had to put MGS3.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Wings: You've got the first part of that completely the wrong way round - not only that, but the two games aren't really as similar as everyone seems to make out.

You won't get through to him. He, um..., to put it nicely, likes Sega a little too much.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Wings: You've got the first part of that completely the wrong way round - not only that, but the two games aren't really as similar as everyone seems to make out. Not only that, but games like Ace Wright have existed for fucking ages. That's not innovation.

No, Wario Ware for DS sucks compared to Feel the Magic. The Wario Ware GBAs were about 100 x better than WarioWare for the DS. Feel the Magic manages to have style when it plays, Wario Ware is nothing but a broken record.

Ace Wright may not be innovative everywhere, but in the USA, it's been a ****ing rarity. I suppose I automatically assumed that everyone lives in the USA, but then again, the USA is the only market that truly matters (ask sega).

I never said trauma center was similar to Ace Wright, merely that it was pretty innovative in America.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Big Boss]cktard. Go away.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Wings: Hah, Gamespot NOT being biased? *laughs whole-heartedly* Have you actually played both games?.

Wow, accusing gaming journalism of bias, shocker there :eek:

I have played both games, and Wario Ware was more of the same whilst FEEL the magic was an experience.

Quoting Wings:
Also, quotes aren't necessary for clarity if the post you're referring to is directly above.?.

**** blood!

Quoting Wings:
I think we've established you're a fucktard. Go away.

No, just that you're a little girl who needs attention. You can't make an opinion other than ad hominem attacks, but that's not my fault, it's yours.

Have a nice life! :-D

Quoting Darkbackward: No, just that you're a little girl who needs attention.

Apparently this isn't an attack.

I think this COULD be due to place of origin. Over here in Europe we haven't even got Twisted yet. However, I still play Touched. I don't play Twisted - I don't think I even bothered to complete it. Feel the Magic (or, rather Project Rub, stupid Europe) I traded in a few months into my DS' life. I consider it to be a worse game than Wario Ware. That's just IT. You might think I'm wrong, but you're not going to change what I think, and neither is sixty million reviews. I hated Donnie Darko and Serenity, as well as Another Code. I absolutely loved Warrior Within. Does this make me wrong? No, just different from the majority.

Apparently I can't form opinions. That may be better than forming them based on other people's. But that's just my opinion - which I can't have, of course.

Quoted post: I consider it to be a worse game than Wario Ware.

I gotta agree. There just wasn't enough to FtM to keep me interested. The concept was pretty cool, as was the style, but it was seriously lacking. As was WW, but not to the same degree.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Wings: Apparently this isn't an attack.

I think this COULD be due to place of origin. Over here in Europe we haven't even got Twisted yet. However, I still play Touched. I don't play Twisted - I don't think I even bothered to complete it. Feel the Magic (or, rather Project Rub, stupid Europe) I traded in a few months into my DS' life. I consider it to be a worse game than Wario Ware. That's just IT. You might think I'm wrong, but you're not going to change what I think, and neither is sixty million reviews. I hated Donnie Darko and Serenity, as well as Another Code. I absolutely loved Warrior Within. Does this make me wrong? No, just different from the majority.

Apparently I can't form opinions. That may be better than forming them based on other people's. But that's just my opinion - which I can't have, of course.

The disparity between the games is 7%. I'm not going to fault you for having bad personal taste, I just thought I'd let you in on what the "big boys" play.

Of course you can't take well intended humor, that would be a f***ing travesty.

And this is the problem with the gaming community (and yes, I know it's been said before).

Everyone has an inflated sense of their own worth, and the majority therefore have a greater power- meaning they must be right, of course.

I play Pokémon. I also play Metal Gear Solid. They're both games, and I get enjoyment out of them. Oddly enough, the only one I actually care about if anyone else plays is not the one that's mainly played by the 'big boys' - because Pokémon actually involves multiplayer. If it didn't, I'd probably still play it - why? Because it's fun.

I really don't care if 7% more of the population enjoys a game I don't as opposed to the game I do. 90% of the males in the nation are passionate about soccer. Probably about 40% enjoy reading books. I don't give a shit - I'll read books and stay the hell away from the football ground.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Darkbackward]This is such a fallible list I can't even begin to take it down.

Anyway, Wario Ware is the poor man's feel the magic, give the award to Ace Wright or Trauma Center.

Most improvement in a genre? I have absolutely no idea.

Best multiplayer goes to Mario Kart DS. End of discussion.

Ping Pals wasn't out last year.

Best overall is the only thing on your list that makes sense.

Anyway, the best game of 2005 was Killer 7 for the gamecube.

My predictions for 2006? Probably Psy-Phi for the arcade.

Lets start from the top.

1. I'm talking about most innovative, not what you consider as the best game. Wario Ware: Touched is the first game that took DS touch control and fine tuned it to near perfection. I just feel that it's deserving of the award.

2. If you have no idea, what's wrong with it? If you've played the older Mario Karts, you know that this game just rocks in comparison.

3.No. I was at first considering giving this to Animal Crossing, but I decided that they could have done a lot more with the multiplayer than they put in the game. When you go online with Mario Kart, what can you get from a human player that you cant get from the AI? Faster racers? Snaking? That may be true, but after about the 15'th time I've raced, I felt like the game was somewhat exausted. Plus, there's no battle mode, and many of the races are missing.

On the other hand, when you go online with Tony Hawk, you feel like "Holy cow, that's some random guy doing all those tricks!" Showing off to some stranger is always fun, and there's high scoreboards to prove your worth. With replays! No online replays on Mario Kart...

4. True, but it was introduced very late in the year, and I simpily dislike the game enough to move it to this year. And, technically, it is "out" this year.

That be all.

Posted by Nightscare

2005: world of warcraft or RE4

2006: oblivion or halo 3

Posted by maian

Twilight Princess.

'Nuff said.

Quoting maian: Twilight Princess.

'Nuff said.

Well, to be fair, there's others. Loco Roco, for example.

Posted by Bebop

GCN-Resident Evil 4
Xbox-Splinter Cell 3
PS2-N/A
DS-Animal Crossing: Wild World

Posted by Random

My Pre year Picks:

Xbox 360:
Halo 3
Oblivion
Gears of War
Resident Evil 5 (if out 06)
Lost Odyssey

PS3:
MGS 4
Resident Evil 5 (If out)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (If out)

Revolution:
Zelda Twilight Princess (if it's not released for GCN)
Super Smash Brothers Online
Super Mario 128 (If out)

Xbox:
None

PS2:
Final Fantasy XII
Grandia III

Gamecube:
Twilight Princess (If released for Cube)

Posted by Crazy K

I really think that Driver: Parallel Lines will end up being one of the best this year, im so hoping it is an improvment on Driver 3. Hell I did like Driver 3, but the story was to **** short. :(

Quoting Crazy K: I really think that Driver: Parallel Lines will end up being one of the best this year, im so hoping it is an improvment on Driver 3. Hell I did like Driver 3, but the story was to **** short. :(

Won't be in the top ten, but it better be good after the disaster that was Dri3ver.

Posted by boomstick

Since everybody else is predicting the GOTY 2006 anyway, might as well.

My top guess right is probably Mass Effect(X360), it's really the main reason, as of now, that I care about purchasing a 360, so it may take me over the edge for it, but it may not make it out in 2006, but if it does, that'd be at the top of the list.

Of course, Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess(GCN) is also up there, but with the greatness Bioware pumps out, I gotta give Mass Effect the edge.

But, I mean, considering we're barely into 2006, I can't really just these as very solid...

Posted by VerachiIsPimP

Quoting SomebodyRandom: GOTY 2006 or 2005...

My 2005 Nominee's

Xbox:
Ninja Gaiden Black

Gamecube:
Super Mario Strikers

PS2:
Dragon Quest VIII

PSP:
GTA Liberty City Stories

DS:
Mario Kart DS

2006 Possible GOTY's

Xbox 360:
Halo 3
Gears of War
Resident Evil 5 (If out)
Oblivion
Lost Odyssey

PS3:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Resident Evil 5 (If out)

Revolution:
SSBO
Metroid Prime 3 (If out)

PS2:
Metal Gear Solid 3: Substinence
Final Fantasy XII
Tales of Legendia

Xbox:
George Romero's City of the Dead
Black

Gamecube:
Zelda Twilight Princess

Simple man its of course going to be H3 if it does come out, how on earth could it be Metroid Prime 3, and i know why its not online its because that its too noobish there is way to many cheap wepons to use on people online. oh and yeah Metal gear solid: substinance or what ever its called is just going to be like Metal gear solid 2: substance instead of sons of liberty and its going to come on the xbox or 360 im not sure, just like how metal gear solid sons of liberty on ps2 and then xbox got the same game with extra stuff, and then later felt sorry for ps2 people so gave them that game too.

*tapes Verachi's mouth shut and shoves him in a well*

Posted by Zeta

Quoting VerachiIsPimP: how on earth could it be Metroid Prime 3, and i know why its not online its because that its too noobish there is way to many cheap wepons to use on people online.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.
*Shakes head*

EDIT: *Tosses PowerBomb down well*

Quoted post: Simple man its of course going to be H3 if it does come out, how on earth could it be Metroid Prime 3, and i know why its not online its because that its too noobish there is way to many cheap wepons to use on people online. oh and yeah Metal gear solid: substinance or what ever its called is just going to be like Metal gear solid 2: substance instead of sons of liberty and its going to come on the xbox or 360 im not sure, just like how metal gear solid sons of liberty on ps2 and then xbox got the same game with extra stuff, and then later felt sorry for ps2 people so gave them that game too.

You're really stupid, you know that right?

Posted by MadeULook

I think Prince Of Persia:The Two Thrones
Or Burnout Revenge

Best Game PSP: Socom FireTeam Bravo specially because of the Online Play