GB Micro a Flop?

Posted by Random

Now I haven't really been able to find much on the GB Micro and how it's selling. I heard it sold ok in some places. But working in Game retail at two different locations I could tell you that we sold 1 Micro between the two stores. Also talked with numerous other stores that haven't sold many or any. Theres even a plan to send some back to the company because they've failed to sell. Is Nintendo losing money on this flop? I mean it hasnt' been announced as a flop but it doesn't seem to be selling anywhere.

I think Ninty is too afraid to count their losses already on this one. It's sold worse than the N-Gage at most of the locations within 100 miles. Then again who wants a $99 Micro when they can have a $79 SP? Sounds foolish if you ask me.

Posted by GameMiestro

We all (okay, most of us) have agreed that the Micro is an obvious case of bad timing, and it was doomed to be a flop from the beginning.

Posted by junior senior

It has nothing different, except the size and you can change faceplates.

:-\

Posted by Random

It seems like a downgrade.. It can't play the older Gameboy games.. So whats it good for? It doesn't even fold in half. It was a mistake Nintendo Made. I bet we'll shortly be hearing about losses in their Handheld department because of it.

Posted by coromoro

Quoting SomebodyRandom: It seems like a downgrade.. It can't play the older Gameboy games.. So whats it good for? It doesn't even fold in half.

I don't really see how it being able to fold in half would be an advantage, since it is smaller than the SP anyway.

At any rate, it is very possible that Nintendo is losing money because of this. :(

Posted by Random

I garuntee it... I doubt they even sold 1/4 of what they anticipated. If they're lucky it may pull ahead of the N-Gauge :-P

Posted by omg-im-a-moogle

we've sold quite a few actually. they do seem pretty redundant, but its a cute idea. i think they would have done better, though, had they created it BEFORE the DS, since for a DS owner, the micro is kind of a step backwards.

Posted by Random

It's a cute idea if your a tiny child maybe but it's a horrid time for this piece of equipment to come out. It's just not worth purchasing. Anyone who buys it I mock you for wasting $99.99. You could have saved it up and purchased something better like a life perhaps or a hotel room to get laid in :-P

Posted by junior senior

I won't buy one, but I hope I could find one somewhere. I've found plenty of GameBoy Advance games places, and I've found a GameBoy Advance.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting coromoro: I don't really see how it being able to fold in half would be an advantage, since it is smaller than the SP anyway.

Screen can't get scratched as easily.

Anyhow I also think the micro was a foolish idea on Nintendo's part. Buying it WOULD be a downgrade since the SP does backplay. Plus the previous accessories don't even work for it. IMO it would be better to keep saving to get a DS than a micro since DS plays GBA games anyways.

Also, Nintendo toted it as having having a really bright screen, but then they did it to the SP, which is reported to have just as bright of a screen as micro. So yeah I would say get the GBA SP, NOT the micro.

Posted by Random

Yesh and I bet Nintendo lost lots of money on that.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Yesh and I bet Nintendo lost lots of money on that.

It cost them next to nothing to produce. Chances are, they made a fair profit, even if it did fail.

Posted by Random

I have yet to see Nintendo announce their sales gains/losses however it has highly failed to sell within a few hundred mile radius. Most stores didn't sell any. Some sold 1 or 2. We got a notice about sending some back because their not selling. We're sending them back to the company. I'm going to go with they Lost a good bit of money and the low sales they had weren't enough to combat the loads of Micro's that'll probably never sell.

Posted by Mack

It's a flop? I don't think so!

I bought the GB Micro, and I love it. It's easy to handle and easy to see. It's small so I can easily hide it from anyone. The screen can't get scratched because it comes with a pouch so forget about folding it in half like the SP. And if you happen to accidentally scratch the screen, just switch it with two of the other screens that came with the GB Micro. I heard that the SP can get dust under the screen, and that sucks. With the GB Micro you can remove the faceplate and get rid of the dust. The only downside with the GB Micro is it can't play GB and GBC color games and the GB Micro requires a different Wireless Adapter. But that doesn't bother me because I don't need it.

The reason why I bought it was because my old GBA didn't light up. I could never play it in the dark, and that pissed me off! Plus it took AA batteries which ticked me off. Now if you have an SP, I suggest sticking with that. But if you don't, get it! And if you like portable game systems with better graphics (like the PSP and the Nintendo DS) then the GB Micro is not for you! If you like games that are simple and easy to pick up, then the GB Micro is for you!

Posted by Xero

The micro GB dint sell much. I heard it lasted a week, then it became like every old system: barely selling.

I dont like it personally. I think its too small and it costs too much. I have my DS and I like it. The games aren't very different either...

Posted by Random

It didn't even last a week.. And Mack sounds like some Nintendo Rep :-P

They didn't sell worth anything and they probably lost a lot of money for it. Oh well thats what you get when you release a NEW HANDHELD EVERY FRICKEN YEAR.

Thats the only reason why I won't buy a DS. It'll only last a year or two if that..

Posted by nich

The DS will last longer than that, but it's certain to have future reincarnations. You know, smaller, sleeker, lighter. In fact rumours are already floating around the internet, and in response Nintendo said their usual "neither confirming nor denying" comment. However if thats what you meant then yes it only lasted a year or two.

Posted by Pit

Quoting SomebodyRandom:
Thats the only reason why I won't buy a DS. It'll only last a year or two if that..

What a dumb statement.

GB Micro wasn't a flop, easy cash, cost next to nothing to produce, and it's fairly popular.

Posted by Mack

The GB Micro's not for everyone. The GB Micro's like a hot woman. It's sleek and sexy and it's just right for a dude like me (I love to tap that ass...um...err...I mean I love to tap those buttons!). Now if you want something bulky (like a man), then be my guest, you fruits. LOL. (I hope you know I'm just kidding...)

And the DS looks cool, but the touch screen is just not for me. I don't like touching my screens. I'll scratch them up!

Posted by GameMiestro

Uh huh...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: What a dumb statement.

How true. It's quite retarded. And I'm not even sure how he came to that conclusion.

Quoted post: GB Micro wasn't a flop, easy cash, cost next to nothing to produce, and it's fairly popular.

Exactly. That's what I said before. It wasn't a flop in Nintendo's eyes because it did what it was meant to do. Make them money. Maybe not as much, but they still made a profit.

Posted by coromoro

Quoting Protoman: Screen can't get scratched as easily.

The outer-front shell on the Game Boy Micro can actually be taken out (to add a different design), along with the plastic screen. Therefore, if your screen got scratched, you could replace it. :cool: