Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Posted by Dexter

I'm getting excited about this game. I don't have it yet but I'll be picking it up as soon as I'm done with the games I'm currently going through. I'd like to finish conquering Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, then go through Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, then move on the Fire Emblem. I've been falling behind on the newer games lately and I'm still catching myself up. :(

I was just curious what everyone thought about this game? How many of you have this game and how does it rank? Is the story on par with the likes of Tales of Symphonia or Baiten Kaitos? I hear it has a strong aspect concerning shape-shifting, which is a huge interest of mine. I'm curious to see how they use that in the story. Is that a major part of the game's story? Anyway, just looking for a casual discussion about the game. I'll be sure to add my own thoughts when I finally make my way to it, which should be relatively soon since a major time-consuming activity was thankfully eradicated from my life forevermore. I'm really looking forward to it.

Posted by -Fierce_Deity_Link-

Oh, I really miss my Gamecube now.....

Posted by waffles@myface

i have the game b4 , and believe me , it is worth ever penny of your money. the graphics are great, the music is awsome , the battle system will have you hooked for hours. there are so many characters in the game, each with an interesting back story. there is a very good story line , that will keep you guessing about whats coming next. forget about metroid 2 and get this now!!!!!

Posted by Sages_06

Quoting Dexter: I'm getting excited about this game. I don't have it yet but I'll be picking it up as soon as I'm done with the games I'm currently going through. I'd like to finish conquering Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, then go through Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, then move on the Fire Emblem. I've been falling behind on the newer games lately and I'm still catching myself up. :(

I was just curious what everyone thought about this game? How many of you have this game and how does it rank? Is the story on par with the likes of Tales of Symphonia or Baiten Kaitos? I hear it has a strong aspect concerning shape-shifting, which is a huge interest of mine. I'm curious to see how they use that in the story. Is that a major part of the game's story? Anyway, just looking for a casual discussion about the game. I'll be sure to add my own thoughts when I finally make my way to it, which should be relatively soon since a major time-consuming activity was thankfully eradicated from my life forevermore. I'm really looking forward to it.
fire emblem is really cool to play because if ever played chess and really good at it then you'll really like it a lot... I give that game a 10 on my scale.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

I'm a huge fan of all the Fire Emblem's, so of course i'll tell you to buy "Path of Radiance" But no seriously...it's one of the best Strategy/RPG's for any system in quite some time. I just wish Nintendo would get off their butt and release the first 6 Fire Emblem's in the U.S one of these days :)

Posted by flyingboris

this game will be good

Posted by poisonblood

I have had the game a while and am pretty near the end. It is a great game and I am usually playing till the wee hours of the morning, because I cant put it down.

Posted by Dexter

So far, I'm really enjoying this game. I've discovered that my favorite thing about it, though, is the story that unfolds as you go. Discovering new party members and establishing a relationship with them is what makes me excited to play it when I get home at night. My strategies relies more on what character abilities I can use and the proper set of characters to deploy for excellent chemistry and collaborations instead of the placement. I'll get into details more when I find the time and get further into it. Wonderful game though. I strongly suggest it.

Posted by Dexter

I beat it. Beautiful ending. Someday, probably many years from now, I would like to go through this game again. There was actually a lot to the story, many interesting points were made. I would have liked to get to know some of the characters more, but there were so many that certain ones just couldn not get enough screen time. This was my first Fire Emblem game, sadly, and it has made me want to play the others, preferably Sacred Stones for the Game Boy Advance. This is my favorite strategy game for the Game Cube and I'd be so bold to say it's my third favorite title for the system, after Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos.

Well, on to my next Game Cube adventure, Baten Kaitos Origins!

Posted by OniRadience

Well, from what I read, I've decided that next time I see it, I might just get it; I've always been going back and forth as to whether I should buy it or not.

I have yet to beat Tales of Symphonia though. Ah well.

Thanks for the info.

Posted by Dexter

It's still an expensive game, so I understand how that might hinder you getting it. It's also not much of an interaction fighting game, but much more of a strategy game. If you don't enjoy in-depth, long durational story segments between each chapter, then that's also something to take under consideration. If you're enjoying the story of Tales of Symphonia, though, then I'm positive you'll get into the story of Fire Emblem, possibly even more.

The ending of Tales of Symphonia is so powerful, I hope you get there soon to experience it.

Posted by poisonblood

I just finished this game about a few weeks ago after I had played it nonstop for a while then let it sit on my shelf for a unknown amount of time. Definitly one of my favorite games for the cube. Well worth the money.

Posted by Dexter

It took me an entire month to beat it. I was too busy with work and was only able to play it during the weekends, at which times I played it as much as possible. Having to keep it on hold for 5 days was annoying, because I kept wanting to find out what was going to happen next. The story would have kept me playing it nonstop until I defeated it if my responsibilities didn't get in my way!

I hope they create a Fire Emblem for the Wii.

Posted by Dexter

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/data/932999.html

Looks like we're getting a Fire Emblem for the Wii. Very exciting. :)

Posted by Ant

Old news. I remember it being in a video during E3. Hopefully it'll be more innovative then the installment that came out on Gamecube.

Posted by Burrito

Yeah, you can tell that it is going to be a direct sequel to Path of Radiance. One of the main characters is an older version of Sothe, the thief kid in Path of Radiance.

Posted by Dexter

Rad. I never used Sothe but he seemed like an interesting character. Maybe some of the other younger characters, such as Mist, will return.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Ant: Hopefully it'll be more innovative then the installment that came out on Gamecube.

http://www.wii-play.com/videos.asp?offset=&cat=decals&id=53&action=search&f1=&f2=ID&zoom=True

That's the most I've seen of the game. From what I can tell, it doesn't appear to be more innovative, or very different at all, really. The structure seems the same, the game-play and the conversing. That doesn't disappoint me, though. I'm sure it'll have a bunch of minor upgrades and a few additions, but as long as the story's as intriguing as the Game Cube version was and the game-play is at least as enjoyable as the last, I'll be satisfied. It's a pretty easy win for me.

Posted by Ant

The part I disliked about the game the most was the lame attack sequences. They could have at least put in a few more animations, or perhaps flashier crits. :/

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, I didn't even keep the animations on for long. I watched them when I got new characters just to see them in better detail, but other than that, they just slowed down my progress too much and weren't worth the time to watch. That aspect of the game didn't bother me much. I suppose I wasn't looking forward to them being anything special from the start so I wasn't upset when they weren't.

Posted by Vasioth

I have been meaning to get this game for some time. I use to love Fire Emblem better than any game I ever played (Going retro times).

Also, I remember the battle system being superb, a Tad like Advance War's but better into the fight commence-ment. It also reminds me of Dungeon Dice Monsters (The Square movement titles *Was in YuGiOh*).

Anyway, did you enjoy it Dexter? I really need to get around to forking out £40 for it =\ ...

Posted by Dexter

Absolutely. I thought it was a very enjoyable game. I'd definitely get into the Wii Fire Emblem and I am going to go through some of the old ones once I get around to them. The story and side-stories captivated me and the actual strategic aspects of the game was something I've never really experienced in a game before and found myself absorbed in. I got into the characters in the game, looked forward to their development and stories. Also, RPGs are of small numbers for the Game Cube, so I appreciate nearly every one of them. Well, actually, all the ones I've played have been fantastic. I think Skies of Arcadia or something like that is the only one I haven't been able to play.

Yeah, now I'm just waiting for the Wii version, which I hear might be around by February. I'd like to go through Path of Radiance again if I have the opportunity before the Wii version is out. There are many decisions that I would change and absent characters I'd like to collect.