Game Cube Future

Posted by Dexter

It seems as though Nintendo is putting nearly all their attention towards their DS system. What's left for the Cube? Are they currently developing anything new for it or is this basically going to be a very dry wait up until the Revolution is released? They just released a few games I look forward to getting, such as Fire Emblem and Mario Strikers, but is that the end? I mean, we have about 5 months, give or take, until the Revolution comes around. What is happening in that time that I should be aware of?

I don't have much of a problem if there is nothing much left planned for the Game Cube. I understand that many developers will be shifting their attention and preparing themselves for the Revolution. It just seems like such a long wait until it is released. I think I remember the Nintendo 64 still having a few games to release once the Game Cube was already out.

Posted by Random

Thats funny I wasn't putting any attention to the DS :-P

The Gamecube isn't bad but nothings really going on with it. It's just kinda there. The last thing to happen for the Gamecube is Twilight Princess and if the Revolution can play the GCN discs, then I won't bother buying another Gamecube, i'll simply wait for the Revolution...

Oh and didn't you hear.. I heard that the Revolution isn't due til about a year after the Xbox 360 meaning probably around Oct/Nov/Dec '06 so we're pretty far away yet.

Posted by Drewboy64

playing no ds is bad. for your health.

Gamecube's probably gonna have zelda and basically die off. People will be absorbed enough in zelda (70 + hours) until the rev comse out in november.

Posted by Dexter

I somehow was under the impression that Twilight Princess was going to be one of the initial titles for the Revolution. It seems rather odd to release it before an improved system is released.

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Oh and didn't you hear.. I heard that the Revolution isn't due til about a year after the Xbox 360 meaning probably around Oct/Nov/Dec '06 so we're pretty far away yet.

There's no way it'll take that long. Not without more action from the Game Cube. That's like an entire year of disappearance. Not everyone pays attention to the DS...or any other handheld system for that matter. I'm much more involved with the console systems myself, although I still enjoy my pawhelds. I couldn't imagine the Revolution being released at the end of the year without remaining action from the Cube. That just seems like a terrible mistake. April is much more appealing.

Is there much planned out between now and the time Zelda is released?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Dexter]I somehow was under the impression that Twilight Princess was going to be one of the initial titles for the Revolution. It seems rather odd to release it before an improved system is released.
Not necessarily. If that was the case, then all games that entered dev around the same period as Twilight Princess would all be cancelled for the Cube and ported to the Revo, resulting in a MUCH longer drought.

Posted by Dexter

Isn't Zelda being released around the same time the Revolution is being released, resulting in the same drought?

Posted by Klarth

A drought on the Gamecube or the Revolution?

Posted by Dexter

Simply an empty slot where little to no activity takes place within Nintendo's console systems. If there's nothing planned out between now and Zelda and Zelda isn't due until around the time the Revolution is released, isn't the drought the same?

Posted by Klarth

The drought would be longer as Zelda would require porting to the Revo, which obviously entails a certain degree of change to the code.

Keep in mind that there wasn't originally going to be a drought as Zelda's original release date was some time last year.

Posted by Dexter

There wouldn't really be a drought once the Revolution is released because there are other games that would be released along with it, most likely.

We still have quite a wait until Zelda is released. What is planned between now and then?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Dexter]There wouldn't really be a drought once the Revolution is released because there are other games that would be released along with it, most likely.
Plus, Nintendo are bound to carry on supporting the Gamecube for maybe six months after the Revo's release.

[quote]We still have quite a wait until Zelda is released. What is planned between now and then?
Probably plenty of third-party games, else Gamecube magazines would've long since slipped off the shelves.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Klarth: Plus, Nintendo are bound to carry on supporting the Gamecube for maybe six months after the Revo's release.

That's what I would expect, but with what? I've been searching the net for information on future Game Cube releases, but I have been unable to find much of anything. I saw that Tales of Legendia is on the way, but it looks as though that is going specifically towards the PS2. Is Soul Calibur 3 going to go on the Game Cube later? What is in the works for the Game Cube and where's a site with decent information on them?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Dexter]I saw that Tales of Legendia is on the way, but it looks as though that is going specifically towards the PS2.
PS2 exclusive (sadly), and probably Japan-exclusive (very sadly).

[quote]Is Soul Calibur 3 going to go on the Game Cube later?
No. Again, this makes me sad.

[quote]What is in the works for the Game Cube and where's a site with decent information on them?
I suppose you could browse Gamespot or IGN, but they're both horrifyingly slow here so I haven't had a chance to check myself.

Posted by Dexter

It looks like Sonic Riders is on the way, which is definitely a nice addition. I was just reading a preview for it on Gamespot. I didn't see a release date for it, but I haven't seen it in stores, so I'm assuming it hasn't been released yet. Still, that's all I was able to find. Still doesn't seem like much, but I suppose there's still more that I just haven't discovered yet.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Gamespot has Sonic Riders listed for the week of Febuary 19th. I wouldn't count on that being the exact release date though.

Quoting Dexter: I somehow was under the impression that Twilight Princess was going to be one of the initial titles for the Revolution. It seems rather odd to release it before an improved system is released.

There was a rumor just released about a week ago that envolved LoZ: Twilight Princess and the Revolution. It basically said that Twilight Princess would have features that could be played on the Revolution. Something like unlockable mini-games or the ability to play through the game using the Revolution controller. Nintendo wouldn't say whether it was true or false, but it seems likely.

Posted by Dexter

It does seem more reasonable to me to place it on the revolution system altogether. It would be a fantastic launch title that would certainly give the revolution a pleasant start. I was hoping that Twilight Princess would be compatible with the revolution controller. I was really exciting about swinging the controller around as if it were a sword.

Posted by vgamerater

zelda is probably going to be the last game that amounts to much before the new revolution

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: zelda is probably going to be the last game that amounts to much before the new revolution

Obviously. It's pretty much the only game coming out.

Posted by Zeta

What the hell ever happended to Kirby GCN?!

Posted by Dexter

Wasn't there a Kirby Air Ride game or something similar? Was there something different planned for Kirby?

Posted by Zeta

HAL was producing a Superstar-esque Kirby game. It was going to have KSS's helper system, but for 4-players. Go check Gamespot/GameFAQs/whatev.

I'm guessing they had to put it on hold for SSBR. :(

Quoted post: I'm guessing they had to put it on hold for SSBR.

If there was any game to put Kirby on hold for, it's SSBR

Posted by Ant

Quoting Linkman: There was a rumor just released about a week ago that envolved LoZ: Twilight Princess and the Revolution. It basically said that Twilight Princess would have features that could be played on the Revolution. Something like unlockable mini-games or the ability to play through the game using the Revolution controller. Nintendo wouldn't say whether it was true or false, but it seems likely.

Huh, news to me. It would actually give some validitiy to why they pushed the system back till November anyways.

As for the GC though. I'd be happy with what you have, or start exploring games that you perhaps missed. Because the future of the GC is rather grim, same with the other two. It was a good generation, I'll miss it :(

Posted by Burrito

Yeah, there's a new kirby game coming out for GCN that is just known as Kirby Adventure GCN, right now.

There's also Chibi-robo and Baten Kaitos 2. I can't really think of much else.

Quoted post: Baten Kaitos 2.

Gonna be garbage.

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Ant:

As for the GC though. I'd be happy with what you have, or start exploring games that you perhaps missed. Because the future of the GC is rather grim, same with the other two. It was a good generation, I'll miss it :(

I'm pretty happy with the games I've got and with Zelda coming and maybe Mario Party 7 for multiplayer, I'll be fine.
There are some games I've missed out on or just haven't gotten around too that I'll have to have a go at.
Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Strikers, Fire Emblem.

And with Smash and Animal Crossing going as strong as ever and the 64 still doing the job (Internatiional Superstar Soccer 2000, you legend) everything will be fine.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Ant: As for the GC though. I'd be happy with what you have, or start exploring games that you perhaps missed.

Definitely. This generation was excellent. It progressed the gaming culture quite nicely. There are still plenty of Game Cube games I look forward to going through. I really have not been able to go through as many as I'd hoped the last 4 years. I suppose I've been too occupied with some of the older systems.

Quoted post: Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Strikers, Fire Emblem.

These, for example, are all games I eventually want to go through.

Quoted post: Gonna be garbage.

Baten Kaitos 2? I had no idea about this game. I adored the first one. The gorgeous scenery and emotional storyline really gave me a lasting impression. The same could be said for Tales of Symphonia, too. I'll have to look this sequal up and see what I can find out about it.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Zelda will be one of the final games for GameCube before Revolution, but may well use the Revolution's features in some way. It will, however, be a GameCube game.

Posted by Random

It better be a Gamecube game for many peoples sake. Though I hear it may come out the same day as the Revolution as it will be the last Gamecube game and yet a backwards compatible game for the Rev to start with. Sounds like a decent idea.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Wings: Zelda will be one of the final games for GameCube before Revolution, but may well use the Revolution's features in some way. It will, however, be a GameCube game.

I remember reading somewhere on IGN that it won't be using the rev controler at all. This is because Revolution hardware can only be used with revolution software. So perhaps they can just port it over onto the revolution...who knows at this point.

Well, I think that the exact quote was more along the lines of 'current GCN software can't be used with the Revo controller'. If it's built in from the start, then there won't be a problem.

Look at Oracle of Seasons. It could tell if it was in a GBA, and altered accordingly, but if it was in a GBC, you never even knew that the GBA functionality was there.

I hope they don't. Just leave it as a straight GC game. Then they can do whatever they want with the next Zelda title. Though it's obvious they're going to make it compatible with the Rev controller somehow. What with the delay and all.

Posted by Sk2k52

Quoting Ant: I remember reading somewhere on IGN that it won't be using the rev controler at all. This is because Revolution hardware can only be used with revolution software. So perhaps they can just port it over onto the revolution...who knows at this point.

I remember reading a article saying that nintendo would be releasing Twilight Princess Revolution version, adjusted for the controls, and with some extra bonus's.

Posted by Ant

A source sure would be nice so I could investigate the matter on my own. :)

Posted by Klarth

I'm pretty sure that they've confirmed that playing it on the Revo will unlock extra functionality.

Nintendo haven't. They've just given their usual spiel about how they don't comment on rumours and speculation.

Nintendo Power made the claim a while ago, and are still adamant that it's true, though. It makes sense.

Posted by Klarth

Holy soft deletion, Antman!

Quoting Wings: Nintendo Power made the claim a while ago, and are still adamant that it's true, though. It makes sense.

Then again, NOM UK "confirmed" that it'd be a Revo title...

Posted by Dog

maybe zelda 'll be for both gamecube and rev. it would be better off like that.

Jesus, Ant, a slight off-topic deviation doesn't warrant deletion. It could even have taught a few people something.

And when did NOM UK confirm this? *flicks through the new issue #1*