Hello, my name is kinco and....

Posted by kinco

I'm and animeholic. I used to shun people that watched cartoons, be it anime or well....any cartoons. But the other night TCM (Turner Classic Movies) had an anime night....WOW! The first movie was called Spirited Away (English translation), it was decent. Then they showed Princess Mononoke (also English), omg I LOVED that movie. After that went off, they replayed both movies in the original Japanese format (with English sub-text), and I was hooked. I'm not sure why but watching the movies in Japanese was a lot more rewarding for me than the English translated versions, I guess that's why I never really got into American anime rehashes (Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, and so on).

Anywho, can anyone recommend some good anime DVD's?

Posted by GameMiestro

Right here:

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=dvd&v=glance"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=dvd&v=glance[/URL]

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

First, finish watching all the Miyuzaki movies. You still need to see Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, and many others. After that, get into the JAPANESE Naruto, Bleach, Fullmetal, ect. In america, pick up Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

You're also going to want to see Hellsing, and for other movies, try Vampire Hunter D, and Blood The Last Vampire.

For love stories, try Saikano.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting GameMiestro: Right here:

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=dvd&v=glance"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=dvd&v=glance[/URL]

You're so dense.

And I recommend buying the whole series of Evangelion plus both films. Oh, and Saikano is also good!

Posted by Fate

Saikano in Japanese, Hellsing in English. Each are thirteen episodes.

Posted by nich

Along with all the others I highly recomend Samurai Champloo, my personal favourite.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I'll agree!

Oh, and Fate, why English? I like the Japanese version better.

Posted by iori_yagami

I recommen, Peacemaker and Cromartie High school, Just watch out Cromartie is one messed up anime.

Posted by The Judge

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Hellsing
Full Metal Alchemist
Blood: The Last Vampire

Posted by Fate

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: I'll agree!

Oh, and Fate, why English? I like the Japanese version better.

The British voices are absolutely perfect, that's why.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Fate: The British voices are absolutely perfect, that's why.

True, as well as I think the English voice actors just do a better job than the Japanese ones, which is a very rare thing in anime.

Posted by Stalolin

READ Death Note.

Posted by Azusa

[quote=Stalolin]READ Death Note.

Indeed.

Also: Akira, Serial Experiments Lain, Excel Saga, Blade of the Immortal, Evangelion, Great Teacher Onizuka, FLCL, Cromartie High School, Argento Soma, Paranoia Agent, Ranma 1/2, Read or Die, and Voices of a Distant Star are all good as well.

Posted by The Judge

Evangelion was (inser number [I forget how many]) episodes of crap.

The system was: 3 episodes of emo mock-character development, 1 episode of action, repeat and lead up to a nonsensical ending.

But at least it had giant robots and lots of explosions.

Posted by The Punisher

Since im not a big anime fan ill go off of the few ive seen and liked, Berserk and Devil Man/Devil Boy cant remember which it was called. But those are both good ones to watch. Devil Man/Devil Boy is pretty gorey at points just to warn you.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Stalolin: READ Death Note.

True that.

Also look into: Battle Royale (if you're over 18), Gunslinger Girl, and maybe Megatokyo.

Posted by Klarth

Megatokyo is drawn by some Otaku so it isn't actually an anime/manga, but it's still very good and it's got a pretty unique drawing style.

[quote=The Judge]Evangelion was (inser number [I forget how many]) episodes of crap.

The system was: 3 episodes of emo mock-character development, 1 episode of action, repeat and lead up to a nonsensical ending.

But at least it had giant robots and lots of explosions.
The answer is 26, and you're a ****ing moron.

Posted by mis0

I actually find that Megatokyos' style is really nice, and fairly detailed considering you can read it all for phree on the Internets.

And, on Judge: I applaud your call of "****ing moron."

Posted by Lord of Spam

How dare none of you mention Akira.