Transtopia: Idiotic, or a good idea?

Posted by Dreadnought

[COLOR=Black][URL="http://www.transtopia.org/principles.html"]Discuss[/URL]
[/COLOR]

Posted by GameMiestro

This should belong in my weblog.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting GameMiestro: This should belong in my weblog.

...What the ****? Shut up and stop posting.

I read most of it, and judging from a) the website design, b) the wording and c) the "general goal, primary means etc" bit at the top, I'm assuming it's done by some ****up who'd like to believe he has a cult following.

Silly idea anyway.

Posted by Shade

[quote]Transtopianism is a typical example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts;

Stopped reading there, this idea is bullsh*t.

Posted by GameMiestro

I actually took the Transtopianism test on the website. Try answering "no" to all the questions (it's kind of funny).

[quote=Klarth]...What the ****? Shut up and stop posting.

It's always reassuring to know that your special brand of insanity is ever-present.

Posted by Speedfreak

I got middle of the road! Woo!

Oh and the site scares the hell out of me:)

Posted by Iris

The site's crap. The idea sucks.

Posted by sabre

I took the test and was bewildered at how crap it was and how increasingly stupid their ideas got as I continued down the list. I'm proud to have got a low score, even if the site told me I was stupid for disagreeing with them.

I don't know what these guys have been taking, but I hope I never get any of it.

Posted by Poco

It's a bunch of rich white kids, just like rich white communst and rich white anarchist. In other words; i's rich white kids who live off of mommy and daddy's money, and have no licks of common sense, and have never worked a day in their meaningless life.

Posted by Klarth

There's a test? I'll take it later then, should be fun.

[quote=GameMiestro]It's always reassuring to know that your special brand of insanity is ever-present.
...Holy ****. What in the name of hell is wrong with you?

Posted by Linko_16

The founder of this religion is the ultimate American... desires nothing but self-indulgence and freedom from pain and toil, only accepting the company of others if it is to some personal advantage, and wouldn't mind living in this unproductive lump of an extacy for all eternity. Like any other athiest I've met, the author of these passages completely fails to understand of the Christian religion (among others, doubtlessly, but Christianity to refer to that which I understand best) based on the fact that it offers no instant gratification.

As much as it preaches the indulgement of the self, I couldn't help but notice its promotion of "An eye for an eye" and "anything goes, as long as 'innocents' aren't harmed against their will" (what it would call "The Golden Rule"), as well as the disdain for mercy. Considering this philosophy as a whole would ideally encorperate eternal life, this means instead of a brief stay on the good ol' planet earch on which everyone is happy to help, give and forgive to their follow men, one would sooner live forever trading assaults with another person because eons ago, he took your sandwich when he was hungry.

I'm willing to bet no one ever really loved the founder and followers of this practice, based on its total disregard for any acceptance of other people's needs over one's own. Of course you're not going to believe in love or marriage if you have no concept of caring about someone else's happiness more than or even equal to your own.

Posted by GameMiestro

The amazing thing is that he compares cremation and funeral services to murder, but then says it's okay to break the law "as long as it gets you ahead".

Posted by sabre

I preferred the bit where they say "Religion is merely a crutch for the weak or ignorant, and a tool for the manipulative" and then go on to say that extreme left-wingers and right-wingers should "burn in Hades."

Posted by GameMiestro

...and "for the Truth shall set you free".

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Sabredog: "Religion is merely a crutch for the weak or ignorant, and a tool for the manipulative"

I cant say that I disagree with that, though I stoped reading at the word memeplex, as it conjured some sort of horrible vision of a 4chan cult.

Posted by Linko_16

Though it says nothing about the concept, the writing's really irritating to read. This person does not know how to use parentheses.

Posted by Hammered On

I agree with about half of it.

What I agree with: truth, technology, Pragmatic Morality, Atheism, Intelligent Hedonism (except for the part about bodies and minds being weak), most of Social Individualism, Memetic Evolution

The rest is bull****.

Like any religion, some good ideas, but some bull****. I don't think they're any better than a religion.