Xbox 360 Actually IS Getting An HD Drive.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Courtesy of the CES Show 2006 streaming video that I'm watching right now. Just posting it up really fast. Guess what?

Quoting Peter Moore: Later this year, I am proud to announce that we will be making an external HD-Drive available for the Xbox 360.

Launched that system a bit early, huh Micro$oft?

Now I don't take sides to the system wars, but it does seem that Sony is abit smarter to wait to get the support in-console.

I may just have to go trade my 360 in now, and just wait until the end of the year. That is, if a second model with an intergrated HD drive is in it. Otherwise I'll probably keep it.

Thoughts?

Posted by Darkbackward

I'm glad I waited, the whole two system launch deal reeked of foul from the first moment I heard it.

Posted by GameMiestro

It could be good or bad, depending on how expensive it is.

Posted by Axis

IGN says its going to be external too.

Posted by Big Boss

Axis, I think Moore's quote covers that.

At any rate, the HD Drive will be used for movies only, not games. Moore made a point that Microsoft won't release a 360 with a built-in HD-DVD Drive because it'd severely fragment the userbase. Also, if you plan on watching HD movies and own a 360, I bet it'd be cheaper to get the external drive for the console than to buy a brand new HD-DVD player. On the other hand, if you don't plan on watching movies with your 360, then this news piece has no relevance to you.

Posted by Speedfreak

You could just burn an HD movie to a DVD with a decent codec, not the crap like MPEG2 and play it on a 360.

Posted by MadeULook

I think the 360 wont even be talked about after PS3 comes out.

Posted by Klarth

Oh really? So I guess that means that the thousands of 360 owners around the world will simultaneously neglect the existence of their consoles when another system they don't even care about arrives.

I think I found a fault in your logic.