burned CD's don't work on my new XBOX

Posted by Chris951

I want to put some music on my XBOX so I burn a CD and the XBOX won't read it. Does anyone know why it is doing this?

Posted by Fate

I think there's something in the Xbox itself to prevent reading burned things. It's like some anti-piracy stuff, I think.

Posted by Axis

If you have a Thompson drive you need to get some CD-RW's. I had this exact same problem and I used this certain disc format and it worked just fine.

Posted by Cronoan

I don't claim to know everything about this, but it might just be that Xbox won't read mp3 cd-r disks. I know cd players have to be specially made to read mp3 disks, while most read cd's made burned with .wav files. The xbox might read .wav cd's, but I haven't tried it. My Xbox won't read disks I burn either. :(

Posted by The Punisher

Yeah, Microsoft are being hipocritical once more. Oh I know, lets jank this layout for an operating system, call it Windows and make millions, but not support piracy!

Posted by Chris951

Quoting Axis: If you have a Thompson drive you need to get some CD-RW's. I had this exact same problem and I used this certain disc format and it worked just fine.

OK. I'll get some CD-RWs this weekend and try them out

Posted by Chris951

it still doesn't work... even with CD-RW's

Posted by Axis

Don't know what to tell you then. I suggest going to [url]www.teamxbox.com[/url], register for the forums, then make a topic under the Hardware section. You may be able to get help there.

Posted by GSNForce.com

Is it a brand new XBox or a used one? Because some of the older ones don't have the disc drives that read them.

Posted by Chris951

It is brand new. I just got it on christmas

Posted by Klarth

I know for a fact that the Xbox's optical drive is fully capable of reading CD-Rs, CD-RWs and DVD-RWs. They didn't work before I swapped in a larger hard drive and installed a new dash, but they did afterwards. It's a bit messy and difficult if you don't know how, and it might sound a bit pretentious saying this, but I'd say your best bet is to softmod your console if you want it to read most kinds of media. =/