Prank Phone Calls

Posted by The Punisher

Despite how childish they are, in some instances I find that if I do not take advantage of the opportunity at hand I would feel it was wasted. Here is my example... I was at star bucks with my friend, and some jack *** is in there, he yells his phone number out to the clerk, who was his mother or maybe sister I cant remember. So I pull my cell phone out, and quickly put it in my phone. About an hour or two later, I

Posted by mis0

I've done a bunch where I first write down the phone numbers of payphones (which I now have near a hundred of) in malls or shoppoing centres, and then wait till someone goes near them. Once they do, I call, and my accomplice describes them to me so I can hide, to avoid detection (they always look around once you describe them). We make up bull**** about how they're "going to pay" or "we know who they are." Whatever works.

Sometimes they get seemingly, really paranoid.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Misoxeny: I've done a bunch where I first write down the phone numbers of payphones (which I now have near a hundred of) in malls or shoppoing centres, and then wait till someone goes near them. Once they do, I call, and my accomplice describes them to me so I can hide, to avoid detection (they always look around once you describe them). We make up bull**** about how they're "going to pay" or "we know who they are." Whatever works.

Sometimes they get seemingly, really paranoid.

Hahaha, I like that idea.

I've done a few back in my day. Some with the soundboards of some famous people. Others with my own personas'

Posted by The Judge

Could it be considered prank calls what you do to salesmen, Ant? You know, saying that your father will beat you if you give the phone to him, etc?

I've been considering using randomly dialed numbers to determine arguments. Example, I want to play Smash Bros, ant wants to play Mario Kart. Call a random person and kindly explain the situation, and then follow whatever answer they give to us. Would that be considered pranking or not?

Posted by Slade

Every time one friend of mine calls, he uses a different persona. It's not so much a prank, because he knows me, but they're hilarious sometimes.
Personally, I rarely get the chance or urge to prank call people.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=The Punisher]Despite how childish they are, in some instances I find that if I do not take advantage of the opportunity at hand I would feel it was wasted. Here is my example... I was at star bucks with my friend, and some jack *** is in there, he yells his phone number out to the clerk, who was his mother or maybe sister I cant remember. So I pull my cell phone out, and quickly put it in my phone. About an hour or two later, I’m sitting at subway with one of my friends who works their, and I call this guy. Were talking for a minute, and he asked who I am. I said the first thing that came to mind. Jack Bower. He asked me my real name and I once again said Jack Bower, and told him some BS about having to borrow his car, and asked if he liked his Starbucks. Then I hung up on him.
Firstly, that was the most pathetic prank call story I have ever come to know. Secondly, you called him because he was yelling in Starbucks and you thought it would be hilarious to take his number and try to prank him an hour or so later? Do you or your friends have a life? Finally, people like you shouldn't have cell phones - there should be a law against it.

Misoxeny's story is the only good one in this dismal thread.

Posted by s0ul

Trigger needs to be heavily medicated. Really, you're going to have a stroke, calm down.

Miso and The Judge's posts rock.

Posted by Trigger

I'm always calm.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Trigger: I'm always calm.

That made me LOL for some reason. Use it in a prank phone call.

Posted by KoH

Used to be really into it. You know, "phreaking" etc. Great hobby though, but only if you know how to do it properly and safely. You know... like Mis said. Btw, that idea was pretty funny. lolz

Edit::: Just read Punisher's little story about his "hilarious" prank call and I'm siding with Trig on this one. That was seriously unfunny... I can't describe how pointless it was either.

Posted by The Judge

Originally Trigger's post didn't make me laugh until I saw what Ant said.

And then I imagined Trigger calling someone and constantly using that as an argument, and now I'm laughing really hard. *shrugs*

Posted by Trigger

Almost about has hard as everyone laughs when you say you aren't being serious or trying to be funny, I imagine. ;)

Posted by The Judge

That's a low blow, Trigger. Right to my nuts.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I thought you liked to have your nuts blown.

Posted by mis0

Quoting KoH: Used to be really into it. You know, "phreaking" etc. Great hobby though, but only if you know how to do it properly and safely. You know... like Mis said. Btw, that idea was pretty funny. lolz.

Just make sure the payphones in your area ring. Most around here don't, but the Nortel Milleniums @ Cottonwood Mall do. It's surreal.

For those of you who don't speak phreak, yes, I know makes and models of payphones. Ph34r. However, prank phonecalls are on the very low end of phreaking. I still b0x a little bit, but even that's kinda pointless (red b0xes still work here, but only for local calls).

Posted by KoH

[quote=Misoxeny]Just make sure the payphones in your area ring. Most around here don't, but the Nortel Milleniums @ Cottonwood Mall do. It's surreal.

For those of you who don't speak phreak, yes, I know makes and models of payphones. Ph34r. However, prank phonecalls are on the very low end of phreaking. I still b0x a little bit, but even that's kinda pointless (red b0xes still work here, but only for local calls).

Wow really? They still work? Meh, that's what I get for living in a highly populated area... well somewhat populated at least...

But yeah, most phone booths now don't ring. Sad though, but whatever.

Posted by mis0

Only on the old-sk00l Bell phones. Nortel's don't let me Box, and they usually have an attack if you try to. I've heard they call home if they detect fraud.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I seem to receive a lot of prank phone calls. Usually I take a leaf out of Speedfreak's book and scream really loud into the phone.

Either that or go along with it. 'Yes, I am interested in saving money on long distance. Very interested....'

Posted by sniper

There are still boxable phones in the civilized world? :O

I'm not sure if it would be considered a prank call, but when I was younger (10 or so) I came across a method of causing phones to ring without anyone actually calling, it was something like dialing 962 followed by the last four digits of the phone you wanted to ring. Sometimes I would do it from a phone in the back of my house a few times to get a chuckle out of him yelling at the invisible man on the phone.

Posted by The Punisher

Haha. Ive actualy had a telemarketer hang up on me. Just ask them a bunch of questions. Like are you gay? Do you belive in God? Do you brush your teeth? Have you showerd in the last day? Is your mom dead?
Then just keep repeating them.

Posted by mis0

Quoting sniper: There are still boxable phones in the civilized world? :O

Yes and no.

It's sorta pointless to do, but if your telco still services the [url=http://www.roamer1.org/pix/phones/cocot2.jpg]older-style[/url] payphones, you could *potentially* box a local, or maybe even statewide long-distance call. Some have "security scramblers" on them which either shut-off the diaphragm or make it staticky until you deposit money, or dial an 800 number. So the surviving lot of real telco payphones may not work anyway.

Another problem is, many of these are being bought out as COCOTs now as the telco's opt for the high-tech [url=http://www.worldpayphones.com/northamerica/countr1.gif]Nortel Millenium[/url] payphones with a LCD screen and card-reader on them. These are *impossible* to b0x from because the dialtone is simulated and the phone's modem dials the number after you've entered the whole thing. I've heard that playing tones into these can cause them to call the telco to report fraud and/or errors, but I'm not sure if that's true. The one thing I think is really wild is that Qwest payphones aren't supposed to ring, period, in NM. A bunch of their Nortel Milleniums do, and I don't know why. But, contrary to rumours, yes, they do ring, and they're very loud.

So, yeah, it is totally possible to scam your telco for the 25, 35, or 50 cents they charge you for a call. Doing it for profit isn't possible anymore, nor is it possible to call outside of your state unless you have a few other scams going in conjunction.

But, then again, my state is a huge desert and we still have the 1980's 5ESS switches. They're the low end of the electronic ones, as I understand it. But nationwide, I think even the most ghettoiest place probably has ESS now.

In the "uncivilized" world, I've heard you can even blue box, but of course we're not talking about a 2600Hz tone. India is supposedly one of the biggest countries where you can do it.

Posted by KoH

Woah, good explination Mis. Seriously, couldn't have said it better if I tried for a year.

[quote=The Punisher]Haha. Ive actualy had a telemarketer hang up on me. Just ask them a bunch of questions. Like are you gay? Do you belive in God? Do you brush your teeth? Have you showerd in the last day? Is your mom dead?
Then just keep repeating them.
I'm not gonna reply to the other posts 'cause I'm far too lazy... so I'll suffice it to say:

Oooookay, chieftan. Nice one!

Mind you, that was sarcastically said.

Posted by Aesthetic

[quote=The Punisher]he/she

That made me laugh more than anything else in this thread.

I haven't ever prank called someone, though Misoxeny's does sound fun. Still, I think I'd rather be the one answering the pay phone and randomly going off on a tangent. "WHY THE **** DO YOU PEOPLE DO THIS TO ME?! EVERY ****ING TIME I ANSWER THIS HAPPENS, WHAT THE ****?!" And then hanging up in distress, half-walking, half-running away from the phone with my arms wrapped around myself.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

I do prank calls all the time with my friend. We would call up GameStop, Malls, T-Shirt companies, Hot Topic, plumbing companies, Wal-Mart etc. We really go wild on them, so much, that "our number" is blocked at a few places already.

I especially love getting people on our Community Channel. :)

Posted by The Punisher

The best thing to do to Telemarketer is tell them you have their number, and you choose to sue them because your name is on the National Do Not Call List. =) I now want to do this. *waits for trigger to make fun of this as well*

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting The Punisher: The best thing to do to Telemarketer is tell them you have their number, and you choose to sue them because your name is on the National Do Not Call List. =) I now want to do this. *waits for trigger to make fun of this as well*

Sounds like a good idea!

We've done something similar before. We called back the telemarketer and we tired to sell him magazine subscriptions. He kept hanging up, but we just kept calling back, until he told us they will involve the police if we keep annoying him. At one point, I think I talked to his boss too. I'm not sure though, it happened almost a year ago.

Posted by The Punisher

Yeah, call him hippocrits. Its funny as hell, they get annoyed about stuff they do to you. You should have saved the number and tryed calling them at Lunch. "Oh im sorry, where you eating with you co-workers. Now you know how it feels jack ***"

Posted by mis0

Quoting Wicked Sushi: I especially love getting people on our Community Channel. :)

Oh, God, the fun of getting on live airwaves. It's the bestest evar.

[quote=Aesthetic]half-walking, half-running away from the phone with my arms wrapped around myself.
And we would surely fol-low!

Posted by Ch

When I do a prank call, I usually do it with a friend on 3-Way. Our usual calls go to this fancy sea food restaurant in Greater Boston and we just annoy the crap out of the host. Thats the only buissness we call. When I call private phones, I usually use my own personnas or use clips from the Ken Kannif skits on Eminem albums. Really freaks the person out.

I want to try Khaos' method of pranking by public phones. You're bound to get something good. :)

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Trigger: Firstly, that was the most pathetic prank call story I have ever come to know. Secondly, you called him because he was yelling in Starbucks and you thought it would be hilarious to take his number and try to prank him an hour or so later? Do you or your friends have a life? Finally, people like you shouldn't have cell phones - there should be a law against it.

Misoxeny's story is the only good one in this dismal thread.

And yet, somehow, a pretty cool thread about prank phone calls has been started that people have been able to contribute to wonderfully. Funny how that works.

Quoting Aesthetic: I haven't ever prank called someone, though Misoxeny's does sound fun. Still, I think I'd rather be the one answering the pay phone and randomly going off on a tangent. "WHY THE **** DO YOU PEOPLE DO THIS TO ME?! EVERY ****ING TIME I ANSWER THIS HAPPENS, WHAT THE ****?!" And then hanging up in distress, half-walking, half-running away from the phone with my arms wrapped around myself.

That'd be giving them what they want. Some smart guy at school called one of the payphones during lunch when I was walking by and pretended he was trying to buy sex toys. I told him he had the wrong number and hung up. That ruined all his fun. :p:

The last time I remember prank calling was when I was a really little kid messing around with my brother and sister. I'd dial a random number and just act stupid... if I couldn't think of anything better, I'd just yell "DAH!!" in a heavy voice and giggle. This was funny enough until we got in huge trouble for prank calling 911.

Posted by The Punisher

Wow, an old one I thought about doing. Ordering someone a pizza. Not like 5 or some ridiculously long number, just order them a pizza. Better yet order wal-mart a pizza. Pretty dumb, possibly more dumb than my first post on this topic. Funny none the less.

Posted by KoH

I just want to say that I don't have anything against you personally... it's just amazing that you would say/post this stuff without thinking them through.

[quote=The Punisher]Yeah, call him hippocrits. Its funny as hell, they get annoyed about stuff they do to you. You should have saved the number and tryed calling them at Lunch. "Oh im sorry, where you eating with you co-workers. Now you know how it feels jack ***"

They take shifts, man... And at lunch, I doubt that they'd stick at their desk and each a sandwich that mummy packed for them.

[quote=The Punisher]Wow, an old one I thought about doing. Ordering someone a pizza. Not like 5 or some ridiculously long number, just order them a pizza. Better yet order wal-mart a pizza. Pretty dumb, possibly more dumb than my first post on this topic. Funny none the less.

I don't get it. I never did. It's the same as when my father called the cops and fire department and directed them to a neighbor's house. Except in that case, he could actually see the affects of his mischief, whereas delivering a pizza to walmart is... well... stupid.

Posted by Lord of Spam

1)Call a suicide hotline.
2)Pretend to die.
3)??????
4)PROFIT!

Posted by mis0

Quoting KoH: I don't get it. I never did. It's the same as when my father called the cops and fire department and directed them to a neighbor's house. Except in that case, he could actually see the affects of his mischief, whereas delivering a pizza to walmart is... well... stupid.

Exactly. If you can't see the results, it's not really funny.

And on the subject of ordring services, why stop at Pizza? Order them a pie or two from each pizzaria in town, a dinner for two from each Chinese take out place, some KFC (if yours delivers), a couple of taxis, a tow-truck, a limo, and then call the cops to secure the situation.

If you're suave, you could even plan ahead enough to have people like plumbers and electricians come at scheduled appointments, and then order the pizza/chinese/chicken/vehicles to come around the same time.

Wouldn't it be lovely?

Posted by The Punisher

Quoted post: I don't get it. I never did. It's the same as when my father called the cops and fire department and directed them to a neighbor's house. Except in that case, he could actually see the affects of his mischief, whereas delivering a pizza to walmart is... well... stupid

Well if I did this, I would either call from a pay phone there, or I would be looking out my window. From where I normaly am when I do stupid stuff we can see wal-mart. No offence man, but your dad sounds... well different. Instead of telling you not to do this, he does it him self. Not a bad father, just different. =).

Posted by Aesthetic

Quoting Linko_16: That'd be giving them what they want.

Not if you were obvious enough in your insanity. I think I just like to freak out randomly and notice the reactions of others - for example, the toe to the left of my pinky toe on my right foot is smaller than the rest, due to the tarsal below it not growing to its full length. When I wear flip-flops at someplace such as Starbucks, I'd like to be standing there and notice some stranger glance at my toe (as they often do in wonder and disgust). When they do so, I'd say, "What are you looking at?" -look down- "What the.. Jesus Christ, what in God's name is this?! I HAVE A DEFECTIVE TOE" and then proceed to sob out the door. It's obvious and a purely fake tantrum, but the spontaneity in addition to the incredulous look the person gets on their face makes it worthwhile.

Posted by Fireball

I like calvin's (calvin and hobbes). Someone calls him, and he says "Hello, I'd like to order an anchovy pizza." When they reply, he says "Oh, sorry, you must have dailed the wrong number."

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Oh, and of course there's also the old classic where you ring someone up, then play a recording of 'Sorry, all our operators are busy right now. Please try again later.'

Posted by mis0

Better yet, call them, and say you're the operator and are detecting touble on their line. Then tell them stuff they need to do to fix it, and see how long you can screw around with them until they hang up. It's really funny, 'specially with the elderly.

Posted by Slade

A friend of mine made a female telemarketer cry asking her things like, "Is this really what you want to do with your life?"

He's an adult, though, so he didn't sound like a mischevious(sp!!) kid.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Misoxeny]And on the subject of ordring services, why stop at Pizza? Order them a pie or two from each pizzaria in town, a dinner for two from each Chinese take out place, some KFC (if yours delivers), a couple of taxis, a tow-truck, a limo, and then call the cops to secure the situation.

If you're suave, you could even plan ahead enough to have people like plumbers and electricians come at scheduled appointments, and then order the pizza/chinese/chicken/vehicles to come around the same time.

Wouldn't it be lovely?
Don't forget at some point to order pizza from Pizza Hut and have it delivered to Domino's Pizza. Meanwhile, you call Domino's and have them deliver one to Pizza Hut.