PS3 gets fragfest for launch

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Gamespot: As part of its pre-E3 PlayStation 3 conference in May, Sony brought Epic Games cofounder Tim Sweeney on stage. Besides saying that Epic had already received a PS3 software-development kit--which he said was "easy to program"--Sweeney also performed a tech demo of a shooter running on PS3 hardware.

The game on display appeared to be Unreal Tournament 2007, the flashy-looking, Unreal Engine 3-based successor to the popular PC shooter Unreal Tournament 2004. However, neither Sony nor Epic would confirm when--or even if--UT 2007 would arrive on the PS3.

Seven months later, the two companies have broken their silence. The January 2006 issue of PSM Magazine proudly proclaims that, yes, UT 2007 is coming to the PlayStation 3. Inside, the magazine also reveals that the game will be a launch title for the PlayStation 3, which is tentatively slated for a spring 2006 launch.

UT 2007 for PS3 is the second Epic shooter announced for next-generation consoles. However, the first, Gears of War for the Xbox 360, is slated for a general "2006" release date, meaning it could conceivably come out after the PS3 UT 2007.

Personally not too big a fan of Unreal, but it is a pretty big title for the PS3 launch and it's also a good thing for Unreal fans who can't keep up with the PC world.

Posted by Speedfreak

The most uninnovative FPS ever on a controller based off of the worst FPS controller ever. Sounds exciting.

Posted by The Punisher

This would be a fun tittle, but the 400 dollars for the system, and the game 50-60 maybe 70 dollars I dont know, but I would rather upgrade my PC, with that money. Then just get one as a computer game, it would be better. Im still deciding wether ill bother with this system at all. I realy want the Nintendo Rev.

Posted by Bebop

I never really caught on to whole Unreal thing. And I really can't see the game being much fun to play on the PS3 controller.

Posted by The Punisher

Oh Christ, its the Bommerang isnt it, I highly doubt ill get this now. The Rev sort of through me off at first. Now im seeing advantages to it. Double Sided Dildo as Richaod would say about the Ps3 Controller.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: The most uninnovative FPS ever on a controller based off of the worst FPS controller ever. Sounds exciting.

Still can't deny it's a popular title

Posted by Bebop

He's not saying it isnt.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Bebop: He's not saying it isnt.

And never said he did

Posted by s0ul

Well, that was pointless.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting boomstick: And never said he did

Like Soul said, it was pointless.

You can't deny I like eating tomatoes.
You can't deny Sony begins with an S
You can't deny 360 has already been launched
You can't deny I have a black Gamecube

Posted by Speedfreak

It's not even relevent. The controller is awful for FPSs and the FPS itself is widely regarded as being one of the most uninnovative in the industry. This is enough reason to take the piss.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Bebop: Like Soul said, it was pointless.

You can't deny I like eating tomatoes.
You can't deny Sony begins with an S
You can't deny 360 has already been launched
You can't deny I have a black Gamecube

It was a simple just saying statement, not very hard thing to get, at all and your arguement was terrible, none of those were used in the same context, at all.

Quoting Speedfreak: It's not even relevent.

Yes, it is, it's a big title and could help the PS3 launch, so despite your opinion it is a big title, that's all I meant.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's not relevent to the point I'm making.

Posted by alquirti's bashes

GAy game, not gunna get dis one.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: It's not relevent to the point I'm making.

*sign* Never mind, had no idea it was so hard to understand.

Posted by Speedfreak

You're totally gay, I swear. I'm not saying people won't buy it, I'm just giving my reasoning for taking the piss out of it. Kinda like if Final Fantasy VII, The Movie the Game 2 was a launch title? It'd sell, but I'd still make fun of it? Christ.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Hi, I'm speedfreak. I immediately defecate out of anger anytime anyone even thinks about mentioning something sony related in a positive light.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: You're totally gay, I swear.

.......I quit reading right there.

Anyway, it's obvious this is going nowhere, so no more on this, anything else after this not going with the subject will be deleted.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=boomstick].......I quit reading right there.

Anyway, it's obvious this is going nowhere, so no more on this, anything else after this not going with the subject will be deleted.

It was 2 sentences, I don't really believe you. I think it's more likely that you sussed that you've been waffling, and wanted a way out :)

Posted by Big Boss

I read this a while ago, and it's excellent news for Sony. The Unreal franchise is widely regarded as one of the best multiplayer series of all time (if not the best), with its crowning jewel being the highly acclaimed, both by the media and gamers, Unreal Tournament 2004 for the PC. I personally loved Unreal Championship 2 for the Xbox, so it's good to know I have a game to look forward to come launch time. Since the PS3's controller layout is just the same as the Dual Shock 2, the only issue with that will be whether the controller is comfortable or not. And, there's the issue of how solid the online interface will be for the game/PS3.

Oooh! If it has any form of the popular Unreal editor I'll be hooked with my PS3 for a loooong time... but it likely won't happen. :(

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Speedfreak: The most uninnovative FPS ever on a controller based off of the worst FPS controller ever. Sounds exciting.

Short sighted ignorance is funny!

Posted by Axis

Some of these sites goofed up. This Epic staff producer says that it wont be a launch title and will infact be on PC before PS3 will.

[URL="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508027"]Link[/URL]

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Axis: Some of these sites goofed up. This Epic staff producer says that it wont be a launch title and will infact be on PC before PS3 will.

[URL="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508027"]Link[/URL]

Oh, I knew the PC version was coming out first, that was just a gimme, but it's unlike news like this to be wrong on such a high level.

I'm gonna lock this till more news comes.