Black Metal

Posted by The Punisher

Anyone here into Black Metal. This is not rap or hip-hop for some people might become confused. This is like Emperor, Gorgoroth, Mayhem, Satyricons early stuff. My favorite genre personally. I

Posted by Trigger

[quote=The Punisher]Anyone here into Black Metal. This is not rap or hip-hop for some people might become confused.
Firstly, black metal sounds nothing like rap or hip-hop; there is no way in Hell that anyone could get the two genre's confused. Secondly, if anyone did confuse black metal with rap and/or hip-hop, they deserve to have their ears sliced off and all musical priviledges stripped from them. Shortly after that, they should receive a bullet to the head. You aren't one of those people who just like black metal so you appear cool in the eyes of other members, are you?

Posted by MetalVox~55

In before Shin-Gar.

Black metal, in small doses for me, is good ****.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Trigger: Firstly, black metal sounds nothing like rap or hip-hop; there is no way in Hell that anyone could get the two genre's confused.

It's probably the word "black" that caused him to make the clarification about hip hop and rap. People used to ask me all the time if "black" metal was black people playing metal music, or metal that had rap influence.

Posted by The Punisher

Ok first off trigger, if I were one of those people, my icon would be of Shagrath or what ever his name is from Cradle of Frys, not Infernus from Gorgoroth. Secondly, im listening to Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk as i right this. Third off, you seem to be obbsessed with pirates right now, and im explaining this too you... That is highly not "kvlt" lol =). But no, im not a poser just to sum it up. Also yeah, people have asked me as well is it like Break-beat death metal, and ive smacked them, thats the reason I said its not rap.

Posted by Richaod

I like a few black metal bands, particularly Emperor, Dissection (they're more death, but whatever) and a bit of Satyricon. Honestly, I hate the purer black metal stuff like early Bathory, Mayhem (if they are considered kvlt) and Burzum.

I generally like black metal bands the most when they're not playing black metal. Especially with the more progressive black like Vintersorg, Borknagar, Bal-Sagoth, orchestral Dimmu Borgir etc.

*cue massive flaming*

Posted by The Punisher

I like Borknagar a lot. Although I cant realy say its Black Metal or Paga/Viking Metal, but more of Philisophical Symphonic Metal =). I love making up genres.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Phils dad]It's probably the word "black" that caused him to make the clarification about hip hop and rap. People used to ask me all the time if "black" metal was black people playing metal music, or metal that had rap influence.
Hence the very next sentence in my previous post.

[quote=The Punisher]Ok first off trigger, if I were one of those people, my icon would be of Shagrath or what ever his name is from Cradle of Frys, not Infernus from Gorgoroth. Secondly, im listening to Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk as i right this.
So what? You could be saying all of this just to make yourself appear cooler. Case in point: did I ask you what you were listening to? No. Secondly, I fail to see your point about my pirate themed profile. Yes, I am aware that pirates have nothing to do with black metal but did I ever specify that I don't listen to or don't like black metal? No. Just because I don't make my avatar a trendy black metal band member like you did doesn't mean I have no idea what black metal is or that I don't enjoy it. I'm just explaining this to you. ;)

Posted by The Punisher

That’s not what I said, I was making it a joke that I’m actually explaining my self to some one who is obsessing with pirates. Their is no way for me to prove my self over a computer. So believe what you will my... Swash Buckeling friend.

Posted by Trigger

Obsessed with pirates? Hardly. My signature doesn't have some pirate quote and I don't make threads about pirates. The only thing that even relates to a pirate is my profile and avatar. Oooh, I'm so obsessed with pirates! :rolleyes:

Posted by The Punisher

I wasnt trying to be a dick. But im glad you admit to it.

Quoted post: Oooh, I'm so obsessed with pirates!
=) Anyways, can we try to go back to the topic? Anyone like Black Metal or lets widen the genre Black Metal, Death Metal or Pagan/Viking Metal?

Posted by netman

black metal makes me lol

(cause i really dont like it at all!) Its more the culture i find absolutely hilarious though.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Hey Trigger, here's a thought: how about you shut up and stop harassing other members at every opportunity you get? NOBODY cares to read your incessant *****ing.

As for black metal, Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk is my favorite of the CDs. I like them, and some of the more "mainstream" stuff like Dimmu Borgir, as well as bands like Finntroll and Sad Legend, and Christian black metal bands like Dark Lay Still and Frost Like Ashes.

Posted by NegativeTrend

I'm going to go out on a limb and say black metal sucks and shut up Trigger.

Posted by Shin-Ra

You know, I walked into Hot Topic the other day to pick up a Resident Evil jacket and they were actually playing Black Metal. I'm glad to see that something made with the intention of being anticommericial is becoming so popular.

Anyway

Everybody knows that black metal is for geeks who aren't even cool enough to play Dungeons and Dragons.

As for the symphonic stuff, I believe that it sounds absolutely horrible for the most part. It takes away too much of the atmosphere by using a cheap, easily done gimmick, that got tired out ages ago. The black/ambient, black/folk, or black noise in general is much preferred by myself.

Posted by The Punisher

Did i see something about Christian Black Metal... Two genres im not sure can mix. Well i guess it is for nerds, I read the Tolkein books like bibles, well mainly the silmarillion. I also do enjoy a game of Dungeons and Dragons... lol Still its a wonderful genre. Maybe not the brightest or cherriest.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting The Punisher: Anyone like Black Metal or lets widen the genre Black Metal, Death Metal or Pagan/Viking Metal?

Didn't see this part.

Black:
Judas Iscariot, Countess, Bathory, all Darkthrone up to and including Panzerfaust, Moonblood, Sad Legend, Kataxu, Syny Severa, early Ulver, Naglfar, Blut aus Nord, many others.

"Depressive" black metal (ambient, whatever):
Xasthur, Leviathan, early Burzum, Silencer, Weakling, Shining, Forgotten Tomb (doomish, but good), early Bethlehem (great band!), Abruptum (black noise)

Death:
Obituary in general, early Morbid Angel (Altars of Madness), Autopsy, Beheaded, Destroyer 666, Angel Corpse, Vital Remains, Vader, Behemoth (Thelema.6 and Satanica), Exhumed, Suffocation, Prostitute Disfigurement

Pagan/Viking (favorite genre):
Bathory, Drudkh, Lumsk, Cruachan, Arckanum, Graveland, Falkenbach, Blutaar, early Behemoth, Hagalaz Rune Dance, Turisas, Tyr

This is making me come off as a sheltered metalhead. :(

Posted by chec

i find black metal culture funny but not as hilarious as high pitched wailing dragonslayer metal about medeival knights and warriors, but i can see how you like it if you wear tights and flowers in your hair. zomg we're off to slay the evil troll in the shimmering realm of wangs and rainbows, ho dee ho dee ho!

Posted by The Punisher

Flowers are for sissys, but im down with the tights. Shin-Ra, I think ive listend to some Prostitute Disfigurment, isnt it the band with the vocals that sound like a Pig? Like an actual pig.

Posted by gOdOfWaR

*puts hand over mouth and laughs his *** off* the only thing that people would probly get confuzed is death and black metal. i do some times. im a vocals person so i dont relly like this genre evan tho i have dimmu borjor,cradle of filth and six feet under i rather listen ****** music than black metal

Posted by The Punisher

Chris Barnes is a wimp compared to the vocals im doing in a few different bands.

Posted by G-Sides

....Well I like the Great Redneck Hope. :(

Posted by The Punisher

Im not sure if were thinking of the same band, but there is a Grindcore band name with something to do with Rednecks.

Posted by gOdOfWaR

pun is your name adam?

Posted by The Punisher

Nah my name is Sam. Cradle arent realy Black Metal. Why did you ask about my name though?

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting The Punisher: Im not sure if were thinking of the same band, but there is a Grindcore band name with something to do with Rednecks.

Unclefucker? If so, that's actually a grindcore band that covers old Bluegrass tunes. Unfortunately they're absolutely horrible and nothing but an interesting little novelty.

Edit: I'm sigging the CoF post, that's too funny.

Posted by The Punisher

HAHA. I just re-read that and noticed he said... underground. Underground is when you have to buy the bands album/shirt off a website your not sure is trustworthy, and it has to be done by e-mail and mail order situations. :) Thats funny.

Posted by Shin-Ra

You must have experience with [url=http://www.no-colours-records.de/]No Colours Records[/url], then. They need to get on with The End Records like everyone else and save me the trouble.

To add to that:
- You have no idea what the band sounds like, but member X is from band Y and they're good. Their description sounds interesting, and their country of origin has some good material. Regardless, it'll still sound like it was recorded into a boombox, in mono, inside a metal trashcan.

- You actually email the artists themselves to get ahold of the music, because they've put out so many albums and have so many side projects that they don't deal with record labels anymore. Which reminds me, I'm getting the (5th?) side-project of Stefan Hertrich this next week. Everyone should watch the video on [url=http://www.spi-ritual.com/spi-media.phtml]this[/url] site. Even if you don't enjoy the music, I still recommend at least watching it - with your speakers turned off or whatever.

- You get a record player.

Posted by gOdOfWaR

because my friend adam that i havent talk to in 5 years is crazy about the punisher and any thing comicy or gothic/death. i didnt no if you might be him or not just thought i would ask

Posted by The Punisher

No thats not me, sorry man. Yeah, when bands produce basment lables and sell the albums they make on Recordable Disks, and Tapes, thats underground. :) I found a realy nice Mp3 Black Metal website with a lot of up coming Black Metal/Epic Battle Metal bands on it. I hope this isnt like spamming but its a good site. http://mp3.blackmetal.co.uk

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Vampiro?

Hey that's me lol

Posted by Wykked Synner

uumm i like emperor, mayhem, marilyn manson, amon amarth, at the gates, novembers doom, gorgoroth, impaled nazarene, and cradle of filth. mostly cradle of filth. i like ur taste in music punisher

Posted by Shin-Ra

Lately, I've been listening to the following and recommend them all to fans of the genre:
Elysian Blaze, Make A Change... Kill Yourself, Nyktalgia, Shining, Bilskirnir, Velvet Cacoon, Abyssic Hate, Xasthur, Leviathan and Winter of Apokalypse.

Quoting Wykked Synner: uumm i like emperor, mayhem, marilyn manson, amon amarth, at the gates, novembers doom, gorgoroth, impaled nazarene, and cradle of filth. mostly cradle of filth. i like ur taste in music punisher

I really hope that's an overall, non-genre specific, list.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Wykked Synner]marilyn manson, ... cradle of filth. mostly cradle of filth.
I am saddened. Immensely.

I'll say I listen to Kadenzza, Arcturus (old and new), Vintersorg and Borknagar and leave it at that.

Quoted post: uumm i like emperor, mayhem, marilyn manson, amon amarth, at the gates, novembers doom, gorgoroth, impaled nazarene, and cradle of filth. mostly cradle of filth. i like ur taste in music punisher

Yeah... quite a few of those aren't even Black Metal.

Unless you're posting in the wrong thread.

Posted by -])arkSide-

I'm not really a Black Metal type of person, I'm more Electronic/Hervy Metal type...

But I think the video, 'Call of the Winter Moon' by Immortal is ****ing hilarious...
If you haven't seen it you can download it here...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JYFC4HRQ

One question though, is Immortal serious? I've seen a lot of Black Metal bands videos (my brother has a lot) and Immortal just seems so... "weird" compared to the rest, if you know what I mean...

Posted by The Punisher

Yes, Dark Side, I know what you mean. The sad thing is Immortal are one of the pioneers...

Posted by Raptor

Marilyn Manson wears make-up and chants incoherently, close enough to black metal for most people.

Posted by netman

BUT

Marilyn Manson is not kvlt.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Trigger: Firstly, black metal sounds nothing like rap or hip-hop; there is no way in Hell that anyone could get the two genre's confused. Secondly, if anyone did confuse black metal with rap and/or hip-hop, they deserve to have their ears sliced off and all musical priviledges stripped from them. Shortly after that, they should receive a bullet to the head. You aren't one of those people who just like black metal so you appear cool in the eyes of other members, are you?

Way to avoid the purpose of the thread by being confrontational and condescending, Trigger.

And no, I don't really like Black Metal much, or at all.

Posted by -])arkSide-

[IMG]http://graphics.gaiaonline.com/images/template/smiles/icon_rofl.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://graphics.gaiaonline.com/images/template/smiles/icon_rofl.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://graphics.gaiaonline.com/images/template/smiles/icon_rofl.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://ruthlessreviews.com/top10/10blackmetal.html"]TOP 10 MOST RIDICULOUS BLACK METAL PICS OF ALL TIME[/URL]

and...

[URL="http://ruthlessreviews.com/top10/10blackmetal2.html"](THE OTHER)TOP 10 MOST RIDICULOUS BLACK METAL PICS OF ALL TIME[/URL]

wow I just saw these, they really don't take very good pics...

Old. So old.

I would have probably laughed again if I clicked the links though.

Posted by Raptor

I see what you mean.

Posted by Shade

That picture alone makes me dislike the genre even more. Seriously, wtf?

Posted by Raptor

Now it's power black metal!

Posted by Klarth

...Holy **** I can't actually stop laughing at that. :(

Posted by -])arkSide-

[IMG]http://ruthlessreviews.com/pics4/bm/bm3.jpg[/IMG]
I think this pic speaks for itself....

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

weren't you guys going nuts over that crap awhile ago when shin-ra was posting about it? CHOOSE YOUR SHEPARDS, ****IT AND STICK WITH THEM

Posted by Shin-Ra

No ****, don't turn this into another thread poking fun at the pictures. Yes they're lame, everyone knows they're lame, regular or edited pictures of the musicians have been posted hundreds of times, and it's getting old. The pictures with Abbath and/or Horgh edited in are the worst.

Am I the only person who listens to black metal thinks Rob Darken sucks as a person and musician?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

At least I've disliked Black Metal consistently.

Quoted post: Am I the only person who listens to black metal thinks Rob Darken sucks as a person and musician?

I gotta say, I really don't like Graveland. I'll say he sucks as a musician, but... ah whatever, he sucks as a person to.