Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days

Posted by boomstick

Don't know if anybody's heard, but for those who've seen the series through and remember the alternate universe that Shinji was shown in the final episode, well they've decided to make a manga series based in that alternate universe, it has been described as more of love-comedy/drama deal and the firts issue in the US is expected in 2006

Posted by GameMiestro

There was a video game based on that alternate universe, too. It makes sense to follow up.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

uh....what?

Link.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Is the alternate universe the one where Shinji is dating Asuka (or something like that), Rei was new to the school and Misato was the class teacher? If so, I really want to see this spinoff. That little part made me really happy for some reason, it was nice. :(

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: ....

uh....what?

Link.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=3984

You have to have watched the series all the way through to really understand.

Quoting Shin-Ra: Is the alternate universe the one where Shinji is dating Asuka (or something like that), Rei was new to the school and Misato was the class teacher? If so, I really want to see this spinoff. That little part made me really happy for some reason, it was nice. :(

Yeah, except Asuka and Shinji weren't dating just like childhood friends, but yeah you're thinking of the right thing.

Heh, considering the depressing mood the series has espically from that point, it's not that surprising

Posted by The Punisher

Oh My God... Neon Genesis... My freind Fenderson, named our Grindage/Grunge/BM/Death Metal/Noise/J-pop band Neon Genisis... He is a nerd, now i shall bring this up to him because im sure this is where he got the idea for it.

Posted by Fate

I didn't watch the last episode. I watched the crazy-*** movie instead. I'm guessing there is an alternate universe in the last episode or something? :|

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Fate: I didn't watch the last episode. I watched the crazy-*** movie instead. I'm guessing there is an alternate universe in the last episode or something? :|

Yes, it breifly shows what would life for Shinji would be if the Angels had never came and the 2nd impact had never happened

Posted by Klarth

Whoaaaaaaaaa. I can't believe I missed this.

I'm actually ****ing excited - It'll be nice to see a version of Eva without all the strife and blood and death and giant robots. What I'm wondering is whether or not they'll tie in the same Jungian theories they used in the anime, though.

And maybe Rei will actually have something of a personality this time 'round.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Sounds pretty lame. It's nice, but after seeing something like NGE, eh... it just wouldn't be the same. There's no way it could live up to it.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Vampiro: Sounds pretty lame. It's nice, but after seeing something like NGE, eh... it just wouldn't be the same. There's no way it could live up to it.

It's not really meant to be, the alternate universe created in episode 26 has been the subject of much merchandising and fanfic, plus it's not all that offend an anime shows the flipflop of itself, so people got pretty interested in it, so it's just a fun side project for fans who enjoyed that part and wanted to see more it and for more money, of course.

Quoting Klarth: And maybe Rei will actually have something of a personality this time 'round.

If it goes along with what was shown in the final episode, she's actually kinda goofy.

In that Shinji and Rei are pretty much near-total opposites, Shinji is outgoing, cheery and a bit of a pervert, pretty much the opposite of the qualities he displays throughout NGE.

Even so, it seems like they're getting rid of half of the things that made the original series interesting. I'll check it out, but eh. I don't see what's going to set it apart from a dozen other animes.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Vampiro: Even so, it seems like they're getting rid of half of the things that made the original series interesting. I'll check it out, but eh. I don't see what's going to set it apart from a dozen other animes.

Probably nothing really except for the Evangelion name and characters, more then likely it's gonna end up alot like Love Hina for the look and sound of.

I understand what you're saying, but it's not meant to be the deep and mind-****ing trip NGE was, it's just pretty much a cash-in on the popularity of the series and the alternate universe, nothing much more really.

Not to say it won't be good or anything, it could very well be, but it won't be what NGE is.

Quoted post: Probably nothing really except for the Evangelion name and characters, more then likely it's gonna end up alot like Love Hina for the look and sound of.

I understand what you're saying, but it's not meant to be the deep and mind-****ing trip NGE was, it's just pretty much a cash-in on the popularity of the series and the alternate universe, nothing much more really.

Which is why I find it lame. Cash-ins are always sub-par, and I don't think NGE characters can save it. Oh well.

Posted by Kodachi

There will still probably be some deeper link to the rest of the plot. It can't be completely separate, as long as it's a parallel universe that Shinji is just being shown, while the other issues still haven't been settled.

Quoted post: It can't be completely separate

Sure it can. It actually wouldn't make much sense if they tied in the other universe (Evas, Angels, et cetera), unless they did something similar to the original - Where he would get a brief glimpse of the opposite universe. It would be a neat concept, but I doubt they would mingle the two, instead leaving them as two seperate pieces.

Posted by Filarrh

Quoting Vampiro: Sure it can. It actually wouldn't make much sense if they tied in the other universe (Evas, Angels, et cetera), unless they did something similar to the original - Where he would get a brief glimpse of the opposite universe. It would be a neat concept, but I doubt they would mingle the two, instead leaving them as two seperate pieces.

Actually, the manga is tied. Shinji, Rei and Asuka are still pilots for Nerv and still fight the angels. I also think Kaworu actually becomes an official pilot instead of being an angel, but I don't know about Toji.

I think the manga seems cute, but it probably won't have the depth that the show had. It will probably center more upon the relationships and personal lives of the characters rather that their personalities and the underlying concept of Christianity.

Oh. So it's basically the samething, just a shift in focus? Might not be too bad.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Filarrh: Actually, the manga is tied. Shinji, Rei and Asuka are still pilots for Nerv and still fight the angels. I also think Kaworu actually becomes an official pilot instead of being an angel, but I don't know about Toji.

I think the manga seems cute, but it probably won't have the depth that the show had. It will probably center more upon the relationships and personal lives of the characters rather that their personalities and the underlying concept of Christianity.

Are you talking about Angelic Days because I don't think they fight the angels, according to ANN it's labeled as a Romantic Comedy and no mention of the angels are in the detail.

Quoting ANN: In this alternate retelling of Neon Genesis Evangelion everything is different. Shinji and Asuka have grown up together as childhood friends, Rei is the new kid at school, Misato is their teacher, NERV is just beginning to assemble teenagers for their experiments, and the second impact never happened. The story proceeds as a romance rather than an action series, with love triangles a-plenty.

Well, by the sounds of that, it hints the angels may be there, but the group doesn't actually fight them as in the origina series.

Posted by Filarrh

That's true. I'm simply assuming the angel battles because it is speculated that the manga is based on Shin Seiki Evangelion: Koutetsu no Girlfriend, in which the pilots fought all the angels at about the ending and at the same time.

Posted by Zedd

That would actually be interesting if Shinji wasn't a whiner in this version.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Filarrh: That's true. I'm simply assuming the angel battles because it is speculated that the manga is based on Shin Seiki Evangelion: Koutetsu no Girlfriend, in which the pilots fought all the angels at about the ending and at the same time.

The manga is based on the alternate universe in the final episode of NGE, that's where Girlfriend Of Steel 2 is based, but I believe Girlfriend Of Steel(the first) isn't based in that universe, it just takes the romance and whatnot in it and applies it to NGE.

Quoting Zedd: That would actually be interesting if Shinji wasn't a whiner in this version.

He's actually a perv for the most part.

Posted by Blaze

Hey, is this manga really called 'Angelic Days' ? If thats not it what is it called? And sorry if you already mentioned this, but when is it coming out? It sounds really awesome
I'm definitely buying it when it comes out.

Posted by Xenos

Quoted post: He's actually a perv for the most part.

... I'd like to remember Shinji as that poor shy kid. :(

Posted by Ant

It was interesting...but it wouldn't be Evangelion like whatsoever. So I might look into it, but it won't be nearly as good as the series...

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Blaze: Hey, is this manga really called 'Angelic Days' ? If thats not it what is it called? And sorry if you already mentioned this, but when is it coming out? It sounds really awesome
I'm definitely buying it when it comes out.

Angelic Days was the offical name in Japan, in may change when/if it comes out in the US, but probably not, it's been out in Japan for a little while and it's expected in the US in Q1 or Q2 of 2006.

Quoting Xenos: ... I'd like to remember Shinji as that poor shy kid. :(

If it does follow the last episode as it was portrayed, he's pretty much your average Japanese schoolboy with love triangles added in and whatnot.

Quoting Ant: It was interesting...but it wouldn't be Evangelion like whatsoever. So I might look into it, but it won't be nearly as good as the series...

Oh, hell no, it's completely different and I doubt will try to even live up to NGE, it's a cash-in pretty much, it'll be interesting, but nothing amazing like NGE was.

Posted by boomstick

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1413903444/qid=1143427001/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8020608-4815238?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Well, Amazon has a pre-order thing up for Vol. 1-3, Vol. 1 will released May 25, Vol. 2 August 25 and Vol.3, November 25

Pff, looks like good downloading material. Doubt I'd pay money for it.

Posted by Filarrh

Got and read my first copy of Angelic Days in English. Guess it was serialized a little before the 25th ^_^.

I was surprised a little by the story-it's not as shallow and relationship-centered as I had expected-but, nonetheless, it didn't have the depth or the style to the original NGE. Most of the plot seems similar to the original NGE, though the timing takes place slightly before the angel attacks. Though the angels themselves haven't appeared, it is strongly hinted that they will appear through the existance of NERV and conversations by several of the characters. The characters themselves are also mostly unchanged, though their conversations and outlooks are much less somber. Shinji's and Rei's characters were obviously altered to fit the storyline though (Personally, I dislike Rei's new personality. Sweet, but too loud. I liked the other Rei MUCH better :p). As for the artwork, it was so-so. Angelic Days' artwork is too different from the others I've seen, and took some getting used to. It simply lacks the shading and detail the other NGE manga had. Gendo's art looks especially terrible; you'll know what I mean if you see it.

Despite the negative things I've said about Angelic Days though, it actually wasn't that bad and I intend to continue collecting. However, it definatly isn't on par with or better than the orginal Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I apologize for any spoilers I may have accidently looked over in the above.

Posted by Xenos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Angelic_Days_Cover.jpg

... sure hell looks different.

Posted by GameMiestro

The ending to the anime series didn't make any sense at all... :( And now they might fight Angels again? Talk about a complete failure on NERV's part!

Posted by Klarth

This is set in an alternate universe. You know, the one shown briefly in episode 26.

Did you actually see the movie? Watch it. It makes a lot more sense than eps 25/26.

Quoted post: The ending to the anime series didn't make any sense at all...

Yeah, that's common knowledge. Hence, the movies creation - to clear up the confusion of the last couple episodes.

Posted by ASUKA

Ooh, I am definitely excited about this.