Linkin Park appreciation thread

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

c'mon guyz, lets salut teh reel gods of met4l!

Posted by sabre

they're so impressive and original. keyboards in metal - it's insane!

Posted by Roger Smith

They pwn Green Day.

EDIT* Everyone pwz Green Day....

Posted by Richaod

Session is the best use of a turntable in any song, ever!!!!

Seriously though, it is. Klarth probably agrees with me.

Posted by netman

i tried so [COLOR="Red"]hard[/COLOR]......

and got so [COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]far[/COLOR]

but in the [COLOR="Magenta"]end[/COLOR]...........

it [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]doesnt[/COLOR] [COLOR="SandyBrown"]even[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]matter[/COLOR].....

they speak to me man

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

don't le t them get u down, netman, cuz they haev sad songz, ya but tehy also have rel hard songs were u 4get ur troubles n just say "FUK DIS" and rok out u no

Posted by NightmareBassX

Uhg, Linkin Park has been my favorite band for awhile... But I lost respect for Mike shinoda. But I can understand, I'd be a gangsta anyday for money. Yo dis is 20% rock, Something else... Yeah.

Posted by Porcupine

I don't really like them very much!

Posted by Philsdad

As an outspoken fan of bands who combine and fuse different genres together, especially in unique and unusual ways, Linkin Park was right up my alley. Their highly innovative use of rap vocals in rock music puts them miles above any other band that is out there right now, and their virtuosic musicianship makes my head spin everytime I listen to them. But most of all, their deep, thought provoking lyrics bring tears to my eyes. LP is my all time favorite band, and nothing that anybody says will ever change that.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

The technical instrumentels that Mike Shinoda puts together are always nice. Other than that, they've been going downhill since Reanimation. Hybrid Theory was great, although I overplayed it and find fault with it now, but please, Meteora was horrible. It seemed to be lacking so much that they're older stuff had. At least even out the rap, make it more technical, and less emphasis on the lyrics - I'd be willing to listen again.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: The technical instrumentels that Mike Shinoda puts together are always nice. Other than that, they've been going downhill since Reanimation. Hybrid Theory was great, although I overplayed it and find fault with it now, but please, Meteora was horrible. It seemed to be lacking so much that they're older stuff had. At least even out the rap, make it more technical, and less emphasis on the lyrics - I'd be willing to listen again.

True, But I did like the song "Faint" alot. Its very fast paced and helps me alot playing a game or something. But as you said, overplay... I've overplayed that song, so I cannot really enjoy it anymore. I'd have to listen to it 3 months later to actually enjoy it, since it had been awhile since I heard it.

Posted by Skitzo Control

This thread is the most patronizing thread ever, ever made... Ever.

Posted by Raptor

I remember when Hybrid Theory first came out, I scooped it up more or less on a whim when I saw it on sale at Best Buy. I had never even heard of Linkin Park before, but when I played it, I was pleased by the sound. It seemed fun and fresh to me at the time, though it got stale after a few months. I never cared much for "Crawling," but "Papercut" is still an enjoyable song. LP's later material doesn't appeal to me at all, but honestly, I would be more content to play Hybrid Theory in my stereo than most of the "hardcore" metal members spaz over in just about every thread on this board.

-=Edit=- That last statement wasn't meant to mock anyone, either. For some reason most metal hasn't been appealing to me over the past many months, though I still am fond of DT, and a couple other recent discoveries.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Raptor: I remember when Hybrid Theory first came out, I scooped it up more or less on a whim when I saw it on sale at Best Buy. I had never even heard of Linkin Park before, but when I played it, I was pleased by the sound. It seemed fun and fresh to me at the time, though it got stale after a few months. I never cared much for "Crawling," but "Papercut" is still an enjoyable song. LP's later material doesn't appeal to me at all, but honestly, I would be more content to play Hybrid Theory in my stereo than most of the "hardcore" metal members spaz over in just about every thread on this board.

Musicianship helps realize why we spaz out over those bands.

Posted by Shin-Ra

The longer I've listened to music, the more I've grown to dislike choruses. I don't know why, but I prefer interesting transitions rather than this sort of repetition and predictability.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: The longer I've listened to music, the more I've grown to dislike choruses. I don't know why, but I prefer interesting transitions rather than this sort of repetition and predictability.

Truth. I get bored after hearing the same lyrics over and over again. I don't mind repetition when it's used to give a specific feeling or emotion, but when I hear a chorus for the third time, I can't help but think that the band must be very uncreative.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Vampiro]I don't mind repetition when it's used to give a specific feeling or emotion
angst?

Quoted post: angst?

No... not even close

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I don't mind most Linkin Park songs. I doubt I'll buy a CD or anything, but they're not that bad. They're skilled musicians, and their songs are usually pretty catchy. I don't see why prettymuch everyone here has bad stuff to say about them.

Posted by Klarth

Yes you do. You're just doing what you usually do by making a conscious effort to see something as beneficial when it's so obviously a negative thing in itself.

also see: chec

Posted by Lord of Spam

If a song of theirs comes on the radio, I usually dont change the station. Thats about as far as I come to appreciating them.

I'd say I'm just a shade on the negative side of nuetral. I did the whole "zomg make fun of llp lolz" thing in the past, and to be honest, it got as old as their music.:cool:

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Fei-on: I don't mind most Linkin Park songs. I doubt I'll buy a CD or anything, but they're not that bad. They're skilled musicians, and their songs are usually pretty catchy. I don't see why prettymuch everyone here has bad stuff to say about them.

Oh how I want to punch you right now...

Quoted post: Oh how I want to punch you right now...

Beat me to the punch (PUN INTENDED!)

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Fei-on]They're skilled musicians
skilled musicians? uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Yes. I didn't say "talented musicians". I said "skilled musicians". There is a difference between talent and technique. And their songs are catchy. That takes something, to actually write a song that will stick in someone's head from the moment their stereo alarm clock wakes them up all the way till they come home from work that afternoon. There aren't a great deal of bands that can write like that. Listen to the song "One Step Closer" some time. It's actually a really cool song, and very well written, musically.

And I don't see why you'd want to punch me for saying that a certain band isn't godawful. You don't like them, and that's fine, you don't have to. But A LOT of people do. I'd be willing to bet that there are more Linkin Park fans in America than there are Nightwish or any of those. Linkin Park is all over the radio, and MTV. And they're much better than almost anything else currently airing on MTV. That doesn't happen for people who suck.

Posted by Shade

Too bad MTV has no merit at all anymore.

...wait, it never did.

Posted by Shin-Ra

They sacrifice skill, atmosphere, depth, and true originality for accessibility, that's why they're on MTV. If their purpose is to entertain the masses, then they're doing a damn fine job of it. There's nothing wrong with that, at all. I mean, one of the purposes of music is to entertain. However, I look more into the elements I originally listed and find none of those in their music. This is probably because I have a greater attention span than that of a goldfish.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I don't think I follow you there. They're quite original, in my view. I haven't really heard a band that is comparable to their style. And their songs vary, as well.

Posted by Shade

It's too bad you here the chorus every 15 seconds in every one of their songs. That's just overdone, no matter how you look at it.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I don't think that's over done. Typical song structure for a Linkin Park song is:

Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Bridge Chorus

Sometimes they'll toss a Chorus at the beginning.

If you think about it, most popular songs are structured like that. It's because it's a good structure. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be so popular. The bands who refuse to use that format and often never go anywhere because most people like the idea. You can say that the people who like it are lame or whatever, but that's not a big deal.

I am a musician, myself. I write a lot of songs. And they often follow that pattern. It's not because I'm trying to please the masses, though. I do a chorus 3 or 4 times in a song because the chorus is the focal point of the song. It carries the main message that the song conveys, which is then supported by verses, and the occasional bridge. And every chorus ought not to sound the same either. You have to mix it up a bit. Maybe change a few words each time, or add a vocal harmony on one of them, or make one a "power chorus" where you just go all out and really drive the message.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Fei-on]I don't think that's over done. Typical song structure for a Linkin Park song is:

Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Bridge Chorus
Typical structure for a good song is "music music music music music music".

Posted by mis0

Reading Feions argument should probably clue you lot into the fact that he's right. Most any song you hear on the radio follows that format because it works. Maybe it's not that the bands are sellouts, but that, like, the unsigned bands are for a reason: they're music isn't all that great.

Granted, some of the bands make good music without having a format similar to that, but, I think a lot of you just like glomming onto band that no one has heard of because it appears to be cool or something.

For the record, I think it's just as lame as whoring a successful artist.

The bottom line is, you should listen to what you like because it's good, not to try and follow some trend across society, or even a trend on a video game message board. *cough*

Posted by Lord of Spam

"I dont mind this band. In fact, I would go so far to say that I enjoy some of their son-"

"ZOMG HEATHEN UR SO STUPID I WANT 2 HIT U CUZ UR DUM"

Seriously, I lost a lot of respect for the members who post in this board now, not that means anything to you, of course. I, for one, find most of hte metal **** that you guys seem to jack off to rather boring and repetitive. OH NOES! THEY"RE TECHNICALLY SKILLED MUSICIANS! Who cares? If it isnt entertaining, why bother. But do I come in here and rant about how metal sucks? No. I respect that we have differing tastes, and that hence we wont agree on what does and does not make good music. But for you to assume that what you like is inherently better, and more relevantly on the flip side that what you dislike is inherently inferior is not only silly, but downright immature.

Bottom line is that people have the right to listen to what they want, and for you to make fun of it for no other reason than the fact that you dont like it shows how immature you can be.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Fei-on]I don't think I follow you there. They're quite original, in my view. I haven't really heard a band that is comparable to their style. And their songs vary, as well.
I dunno man, they follow the rap/rock formula on at least a few songs, yes? There were a lot of bands in the mid to late nineties that did the exact same thing and destroyed that style by their numbers. I was at an age where that appealed to me, and it simply ceased to "move" me anymore because of the constant hype and exposure of the bands. I don't like that style, and it's been done by everyone and their mom. As for the rest of it, screaming and then having clean vocals in a well structured pattern, while having lyrics that deal with the same subjects (relationships, etc) doesn't strike me as anything special. Plus, most of the music is has a simple beat to it that sticks throughout the song, just like every other popular band ever. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with this, and I'm not bashing the group (why would I care?):
Granted, some of the bands make good music without having a format similar to that, but, I think a lot of you just like glomming onto band that no one has heard of because it appears to be cool or something.

For the record, I think it's just as lame as whoring a successful artist.

Best post in the thread.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Lord of Spam: Seriously, I lost a lot of respect for the members who post in this board now, not that means anything to you, of course. I, for one, find most of hte metal **** that you guys seem to jack off to rather boring and repetitive. OH NOES! THEY"RE TECHNICALLY SKILLED MUSICIANS! Who cares? If it isnt entertaining, why bother. But do I come in here and rant about how metal sucks? No. I respect that we have differing tastes, and that hence we wont agree on what does and does not make good music. But for you to assume that what you like is inherently better, and more relevantly on the flip side that what you dislike is inherently inferior is not only silly, but downright immature.

Bottom line is that people have the right to listen to what they want, and for you to make fun of it for no other reason than the fact that you dont like it shows how immature you can be.

It is far different for musicians. I'm a product of the whole "prog-snob" stuff, seeing as if it doesn't have those certain complexities that I am used to hearing as well as the melody that they include with it, then I don't enjoy it as much. That and I think Linkin Park is by and far an extremely crappy and overrated band. They are not that good.

Label me as a bandwagonist, but I dislike that band by the same standard that I hate Nirvana.

Posted by gOdOfWaR

LMAO .i have to step in.linkin logs suck and i would change the station if i heard them on the radio because i dont like that emo crud what ever you want to call it.just wanted to say my 2 cents.goodbye

Posted by mis0

Quoting Lord of Spam: "I dont mind this band. In fact, I would go so far to say that I enjoy some of their son-"

"ZOMG HEATHEN UR SO STUPID I WANT 2 HIT U CUZ UR DUM"

Seriously, I lost a lot of respect for the members who post in this board now, not that means anything to you, of course. I, for one, find most of hte metal **** that you guys seem to jack off to rather boring and repetitive. OH NOES! THEY"RE TECHNICALLY SKILLED MUSICIANS! Who cares? If it isnt entertaining, why bother. But do I come in here and rant about how metal sucks? No. I respect that we have differing tastes, and that hence we wont agree on what does and does not make good music. But for you to assume that what you like is inherently better, and more relevantly on the flip side that what you dislike is inherently inferior is not only silly, but downright immature.

Absolutely on the mark. Just because it's technically done right doesn't mean it's good. The only analogy I can think of would be like how the Porsche 944 Turbo is a "technically" good car on paper, but really isn't very good on the roads. Moreover, how people claim superiority in musical tastes is the best thing ever. Nothing is better than anything else. It's subjective. It's preference. Whatever, what it isn't is better. Pretty much runs true for anything, unless there is science behind it. Anything else is a pretty sophomoric outlook on the suject (lol dis iz bettarz!).

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting gOdOfWaR: LMAO .i have to step in.linkin logs suck and i would change the station if i heard them on the radio because i dont like that emo crud what ever you want to call it.just wanted to say my 2 cents.goodbye

Well, that's okay, because here we are discussing Linkin Park, not linkin logs. Oh, and by the way, after using a period when writing in English, it's proper to put a space before your next word. Your post lacks proper capitalization and spacing. You're honestly only asking for trouble by coming to VGC and posting like that. Users here have been known to rip others to shreds, even those who use proper mechanincs when posting such drivel, much less someone like you who has chosen to post the way you do. Honestly, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble if you fix up your posting habits.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Fei-on: Well, that's okay, because here we are discussing Linkin Park, not linkin logs. Oh, and by the way, after using a period when writing in English, it's proper to put a space before your next word. Your post lacks proper capitalization and spacing. You're honestly only asking for trouble by coming to VGC and posting like that. Users here have been known to rip others to shreds, even those who use proper mechanincs when posting such drivel, much less someone like you who has chosen to post the way you do. Honestly, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble if you fix up your posting habits.

He'd actually save himself a lot of trouble by picking a fight with a train. Preferably one of those Eurostar trains that cruise at 270mph. Wait, he'd be saving me a lot of trouble. Nevermind. :(

Posted by Klarth

*ban request*

I'm not bothered at all by the whole "lol bandwagon" thing. As someone up there said, it's best to listen to music that you enjoy, and leave it at that. However, subjectively speaking, Linkin Park are absolutely talentless and sound like ****. Thank you.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Klarth: *ban request*

I'm not bothered at all by the whole "lol bandwagon" thing. As someone up there said, it's best to listen to music that you enjoy, and leave it at that. However, subjectively speaking, Linkin Park are absolutely talentless and sound like ****. Thank you.

[spoiler].[/spoiler]

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Fair enough.

Posted by The Punisher

When I was in middle school... 4 years ago, I enjoyed them. Now my musical tastes have changed. I

Posted by Richaod

Quoting The Punisher: When I was in middle school... 4 years ago, I enjoyed them. Now my musical tastes have changed. I’ve found death metal, black metal, and my personal favorite Grindcore. Anyways, I think there a good band, and yes I have disrespected them, but it was only to fit in, I promise. ;) I shouldn’t really have an opinion on music, because my favorite genre happens to be Grindcore, but still.

Yeah, I find that nu-metal or mainstream rock bands are pretty good gateway bands to some of the more unknown stuff that's out there. I mean, surely there's enough screaming in Slipknot to prepare you for (good) death metal. Even if you don't like them, they're better than commercial pop.

To address what Feion said, there's only so much you can do with a verse-chorus format. There are only a few ways you can be original as a songwriter; mainly the sound of your music and your song structures, and if you only have three stand-alone parts in one song, you're definitely limiting yourself.

[quote]OH NOES! THEY"RE TECHNICALLY SKILLED MUSICIANS!
So they deserve praise for their technical skill, not necessarily their songwriting. Shredding (and I mean just playing really fast, not bands like Cacophony that write good music) as a musical style is very limited. I find it entertaining to watch or listen to though, but it's more of a spectacle than music. You can't absorb a melody at 300 bpm. And I'm not being hypocritical; personally, I can only think of three Dream Theater songs that are pretty much designed for showing off, and even then, they're quite structured and not just pure shredding. Playing really fast is sort of a good way to invoke a chaotic (Slayer) feel in a song, too.

[quote=Misoxeny]I think a lot of you just like glomming onto band that no one has heard of because it appears to be cool or something.
I do it, when I do it, because I legitimately feel that it's something that people will like if they do check it out. I've introduced at least 5 or 6 people around me to better-than-mainstream music, and (inadvertently) a whole school to Rage Against The Machine, and they're not complaining. Would any of you rant against Raptor or netman for introducing you to Dream Theater or Devin Townsend just for the sake of looking like you're not on a bandwagon?

[quote=Klarth]As someone up there said, it's best to listen to music that you enjoy, and leave it at that.
Yeah. And introduce people who will probably like the music you listen to... uh, to it. Whatever, that's my personal take on the issue.

Posted by Fate

Personally, I found Meteora very entertaining. It's a good album if you can listen to the songs nonstop and not get annoyed. It seems like metal music is a scapegoat a lot of people use to avoid being emo or whatever. Maybe it's a huge frickin' coincidence, but there are a lot of metal fans on this site. Whatever. I listen to the music that I like, and Linkin Park just happened to catch me.

By the way, I listened to half a song of Dream Theater and I noticed they sound a lot like Chevelle, and I like Chevelle.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting MetalVox~55: It is far different for musicians. I'm a product of the whole "prog-snob" stuff, seeing as if it doesn't have those certain complexities that I am used to hearing as well as the melody that they include with it, then I don't enjoy it as much. That and I think Linkin Park is by and far an extremely crappy and overrated band. They are not that good.

Label me as a bandwagonist, but I dislike that band by the same standard that I hate Nirvana.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/1132017327171.jpg]You left yourself wide open for this.[/url]

Dont get me wrong. If you want to listen to technical, skilled music, rock on. But just as its your right to listen to that style and enjoy it, so is it others right to enjoy LP.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Lord of Spam: [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/1132017327171.jpg]You left yourself wide open for this.[/url]

Dont get me wrong. If you want to listen to technical, skilled music, rock on. But just as its your right to listen to that style and enjoy it, so is it others right to enjoy LP.

Dude...

...They peed on my rug. It really tied the room together :(

Anyway,
Yes, I do realize that this is my opinion, and thats how I think about this kinda stuff. This will sound arrogant as hell, but I feel that a musician's opinion is far more valid than someone who listens but doesn't play.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Also, dude, chinaman is not the prefered nomenclature. Asian american, please.

It still goes back to preference, though. Dont get me wrong, when it comes to deciding which song is more technically impressive, or which group performs the same song better in a test of skill, I would refer to you. But merely being a musician does not make your opinion superoir to anothers. Its all subjective.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Lord of Spam: Also, dude, chinaman is not the prefered nomenclature. Asian american, please.

It still goes back to preference, though. Dont get me wrong, when it comes to deciding which song is more technically impressive, or which group performs the same song better in a test of skill, I would refer to you. But merely being a musician does not make your opinion superoir to anothers. Its all subjective.

Dude, only if they're done by an all asian chick band. They've all gotta be hot as hell too. No ifs-ands-or buts about this.

Alright, lemme clarify:
musicians who have put their time in and have paid their dues in theory, chops, and technique reserve the right to criticize music as they see fit, and I would hold their opinion higher than some random kid going "YAH THESE GUYZ RAWK!"

Examples!
Dillinger Escape Plan is fantastically complicated, and these guys are all very talented technique wise. However, when it comes to performance, their songs sound like 100% complete ***.

Amon Amarth isn't the most technical band out there, and certainly can't do anything that Dream Theater or Steve Vai writes, but for the style they play, they are hands down one of the best.

You've also gotta look at it in genres as well. Some people prefer Jazz to Blues, or Melodic Metal to Death Metal, both of which sounds a lot a like the other, but there are subtle differences in each that make it what they are, and to know how they made what they did and what it represents imo is far more important than "OMG THIS IS SO MUCH HARDKORE THAN BAND X".

In the case of Linkin Park, that band has quite literally snaked by in each and every album that they have made, and it turns into a media-influenced, over-publicized group that people brainlessly follow. They say **** like "OMG THEY SPEAK TO ME". No ****ing wonder, because people gladly go "hey, it's on the radio, this is cool, and they are angsty just like me!"

tl;dr - I'd rather have bands be better musicians than be media-whored.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Richaod: I do it, when I do it, because I legitimately feel that it's something that people will like if they do check it out. I've introduced at least 5 or 6 people around me to better-than-mainstream music, and (inadvertently) a whole school to Rage Against The Machine, and they're not complaining. Would any of you rant against Raptor or netman for introducing you to Dream Theater or Devin Townsend just for the sake of looking like you're not on a bandwagon?

I've never heard of Devin Townsend, and I have one DT album, which is what I'd describe as "OK" and two songs ended up on my iPod.

Basically I look at music, and most everything else like this: I just have to like it. I don't care if it's popular (RHCP, Fiona Apple, Rammstein) or lesser known (TRS-80, Atom, T. Raumschmiere). I don't care about the genre, which is why I listen to everything from indie to rap, nor do I care about the artistic complexities, or lack thereof.

I tend to think this is the right way to look at not only music, but most anything.

[quote]musicians who have put their time in and have paid their dues in theory, chops, and technique reserve the right to criticize music as they see fit, and I would hold their opinion higher than some random kid going "YAH THESE GUYZ RAWK!"
You can hold their opinion hgiher if you want but it doesn't do two of the things you were mentioning earlier; making them/you right, or making their opinion better.

And since when has doing made anyone a qualified critic anyway?

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Misoxeny: You can hold their opinion hgiher if you want but it doesn't do two of the things you were mentioning earlier; making them/you right, or making their opinion better.

And since when has doing made anyone a qualified critic anyway?

I never said I was right or correct in this thread. I said I valued opinions of musicians more so than those who just listen. If you're a musician you have a whole different outlook on that stuff. And if you're a proficent musician, you have a lot more knowledge than most about music. Granted, it is all opinion based, but I feel that, musically, the more talented the musician is and the more they show it, the more impressive and the better it sounds. This isn't true in all cases, like I listed above.

So no dude, I never said I was right. I said I think the way I do because of listed reasons. But then again, I could play the part of the arrogant ******* and just say "I'm right, you're wrong, shut up," for the fun factor of it :)

Posted by Lord of Spam

End of my argument: Music can be skilled, good, or both. Skilled is an objective measure which trained musicians are more qualified to comment on. Good is a subjective measure of one's reaction to a certain song. Nobody's opinion is superior when it comes to good sin ce it such a subjective measure.

Posted by Klarth

Linkin Park are not skilled, and I (along with a great many people) don't find their music good. end

I'll agree with Klarth and Scott on this one.

But hey, to each his own.

I still don't see how people can enjoy it though :/

Posted by Xero

Just found this thread...I'm a bit late in the conversation, but anyways...Most of you know how much I love this band. They do such great music. I like most of their songs and mostly "breaking the habits"

Posted by Nighthawk

I used to like Linkin Park. I still like a few of their songs

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Flame ghost: Just found this thread...I'm a bit late in the conversation, but anyways...Most of you know how much I love this band. They do such great music. I like most of their songs and mostly "breaking the habits"

why

Posted by sabre

[quote=Misoxeny]I think a lot of you just like glomming onto band that no one has heard of because it appears to be cool or something.I've said this several times before... maybe I'm overestimating the average IQ of the boards, but I honestly don't think anyone here is that stupid.

Posted by mis0

Or maybe I just assume the worst.

Glass half empty, anyone?

Quoted post: Or maybe I just assume the worst.

Definitely. I know some people here probably do do that, but that would only be one or two individuals at the most.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Vampiro: I still don't see how people can enjoy it though :/

I still don't see why it's so hard to believe.

Posted by Shade

[quote=MetalVox]tl;dr - I'd rather have bands be better musicians than be media-whored.

You're supposed to put that BEFORE the huge rant. :\

[quote=flamer]I like most of their songs and mostly "breaking the habits"

Actually, that's the one LP song that I acually like. The rest is trash, though.

Quoted post: I still don't see why it's so hard to believe.

I can believe it. I just can't see (read: understand) it.

Of course people like them, that's obvious. I just don't see why. That's all.

But hey, like I said, whatever floats your boat.

Posted by Raptor

Though I don't think of their music as bad, most people who regard Linkin Park as "great music" should probably invest a little effort into broadening their musical horizons.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Oh, I'm not saying that LP is the pinnacle of music, at all. I'm saying that I can tolerate their songs, and after hearing a few times, I find myself singing along simply because I know the words. Hell, I even sing along to a lot music that I hate, simply because I know the words. But I don't hate Linkin Park. They're okay, is all I'm saying. I won't ever buy a Linkin Park CD, or even download a Linkin Park song, but if I'm driving to school, and a LP song comes on the radio, I won't change the station. I wont' crank it up or anything, but I won't turn it off.

Metallica is my band, really.

Posted by Raptor

I know what you're saying, man, really. Do I know what you're saying? Yes, I definitely know what you're saying, and I'm not even playing. Word.

I was mostly directing that last post toward Flame ghost, just in case.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Klarth: why

Because thats the way it is.

Posted by Klarth

Fair play. I've become numb to this argument, so I guess that in the end, it doesn't even matter. Every time I've looked at this thread, it's just been one step closer to the edge... I think I'm about to break, guys. :(

Hm, clever.

Quite clever.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Klarth: Fair play. I've become numb to this argument, so I guess that in the end, it doesn't even matter. Every time I've looked at this thread, it's just been one step closer to the edge... I think I'm about to break, guys. :(

Everything you've said to me leaves me with a little room to breathe.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Oh, can I use some Linkin Park lyrics in my post too?

Let's see...

If you guys don't stop crawling in my skin with this anti-Linkin Park rhetoric, I'm pretty sure that these wounds, they will not heeyul. Seriously, listen to me, you guys. Shut up when I'm talking to you. And for god's sake, don't turn your back on me; I won't be ignored. I've thought about it, and I have no freaking clue how I got this way, but when I thought further, I realized I'd never be allright. So I decided that I'm breaking the habit tonight. The habbit of arguing over whether or not Linkin Park is an awful band. I want to be pushed aside, you guys. So don't tell me you wanted me. In fact, don't even tell me that you thought of me. I won't, I swear I won't. I'll try, I swear I'll -- wait, sorry, got my bands mixed up there.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Fei-on: they will not heeyul.

... I hope that was intentional.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Klarth: Fair play. I've become numb to this argument, so I guess that in the end, it doesn't even matter. Every time I've looked at this thread, it's just been one step closer to the edge... I think I'm about to break, guys. :(

good! Your pretty good.

I dunno whats worth fighting for with you guys, I dont even know why I have to scream, cuz now that I have some clarity on your minds, I'll show you how I feel. I dunno how I got this way, I know its not alright, so I'm breaking the habits and I'll joke around with ya.

Breaking the habits-meteora.

Plz dont say its lame...

Posted by Fate

Needs more proper defense. You suck.

Posted by mis0

If I have to suffer anymore "clever" stuff the only thing I'll be breaking tonight is someones face.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Fate: Needs more proper defense. You suck.

I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter, cuz you said it sucked...

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Fei-on: Oh, can I use some Linkin Park lyrics in my post too?

Let's see...

If you guys don't stop crawling in my skin with this anti-Linkin Park rhetoric, I'm pretty sure that these wounds, they will not heeyul. Seriously, listen to me, you guys. Shut up when I'm talking to you. And for god's sake, don't turn your back on me; I won't be ignored. I've thought about it, and I have no freaking clue how I got this way, but when I thought further, I realized I'd never be allright. So I decided that I'm breaking the habit tonight. The habbit of arguing over whether or not Linkin Park is an awful band. I want to be pushed aside, you guys. So don't tell me you wanted me. In fact, don't even tell me that you thought of me. I won't, I swear I won't. I'll try, I swear I'll -- wait, sorry, got my bands mixed up there.

...Shut the **** up.

Same goes for Twatgeist.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Flame ghost: I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter, cuz you said it sucked...

STOP IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I lol'd at the last one :(

Posted by Xero

I thought it was pretty imaginative, but if you dont enjoy it, then I'll stop.

Posted by Klarth

Of course, ripping of the lyrics from a talentless band is obviously SO imaginitive. Following on from that, so is implementing them in the manner which two others have utilised before you.

Just... No.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Klarth: talentless band.

No.

Posted by Klarth

Hah. Yes.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If they were talentless, they wouldnt be able to play their instruments. And if you try to argue that they cant, then there isnt anything from stopping you from repreating their success.

So either than can play, or you suck worse than LP. :cookie:

Posted by Shade

[quote]Breaking the habits

Dude, it's Breaking the Habit, no 's' on the end. F*ck it, it bothers me when people make the same mistake over and over and over and don't even realise it, ****it.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Shade: it bothers me when people make the same mistake over and over and over and don't even realise it, ****it.

Dream Theatre rules!

Posted by Lord of Spam

*realize

With an s means to make money, as in a busines transaction.

1 entry found for realise.
realise

v 1: earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages; "How much do you make a month in your new job?"; "She earns a lot in her new job"; "this merger brought in lots of money"; "He clears $5,000 each month" [syn: gain, take in, clear, make, earn, realize, pull in, bring in]

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Lord of Spam: If they were talentless, they wouldnt be able to play their instruments. And if you try to argue that they cant, then there isnt anything from stopping you from repreating their success.

So either than can play, or you suck worse than LP. :cookie:

Skill = Acquired ability, talent = innate gift. And considering the fact that they rely heavily on pre-programmed synth, I'm pretty sure they have neither.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Nonetheless, just being skilled doesnt make you popular. If that were the case, Vox would be famous by now, wouldnt he ;)

Note: Not intended as a dig at vox.

Posted by gOdOfWaR

why is this thread still here? the lead singer sucks leave it at that

Posted by Lord of Spam

Maybe its here because not everyone agrees, retard.

Posted by gOdOfWaR

whats new all anyone does is bicker back and forth any ways.f*ck face

Posted by Lord of Spam

A clever and witty retort. My congratulations on the abilty to sling insults without refuiting the points being made against you. With abilities like that, a job in the current presidentail administration should be within your grasp :cookie:

Posted by Dexter

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/PICT0187.jpg[/IMG]

It was my favorite drink coaster. :(

Posted by gOdOfWaR

AHAHAHAHHAh roflmfao thats a good way to put it

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Dexter: [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/PICT0187.jpg[/IMG]

It was a smash hit!

Posted by mis0

Quoting Dexter: [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/PICT0187.jpg[/IMG]

SO EDGY!

Posted by Lord of Spam

The puns are becomeing overwhelming.

Posted by Porcupine

What a broken CD!

Wait, fuck...

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting gOdOfWaR: whats new all anyone does is bicker back and forth any ways.f*ck face

jesus...shut up.

Posted by gOdOfWaR

um no.cant face the truth?

Quoted post: um no.cant face the truth?

Uh, it's the internet. The fact that people constantly argue is no super hidden secret, you retard.

Posted by Xero

...ah well...you'll get over it...

Posted by Ant

God ****, Dexter is one of the funniest members on this site... :(

Anywho, they're alright. They're no Devin Townsend, or Dream Theater, or Therion, etc. though :(

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Lord of Spam: Nonetheless, just being skilled doesnt make you popular. If that were the case, Vox would be famous by now, wouldnt he ;)

Note: Not intended as a dig at vox.

That's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm stating that they have no talent/skill (I base this on the fact that they rely on pre-programmed music so most of their songs are essentially just karaoke), however I'm not saying that being talentless should make them unpopular (it's the promotion that makes them so prominent, y'know), I'm trying to tell twat ghost that they have no merit whatsoever. :)

Posted by Fate

I say it's a pretty big **** coincidence that all these bands you guys speak of are sooooo good that I've never even heard of them, much less any play on the radio on any station. It must be the internet.

no srsly wtf

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Fate: I say it's a pretty big **** coincidence that all these bands you guys speak of are sooooo good that I've never even heard of them, much less any play on the radio on any station. It must be the internet.

no srsly wtf

Music being popular doesn't make it better. Some people think hearing 50 Cent talk about getting some girl naked is good music, but that doesn't make it good to everyone.

Which is the reason why this whole argument is pointless.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Irrelevant:
Which is the reason why this whole argument is pointless.

eh...we could try to close this thread or go back to the main topic: appreciation.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Fate: I say it's a pretty big **** coincidence that all these bands you guys speak of are sooooo good that I've never even heard of them, much less any play on the radio on any station. It must be the internet.

no srsly wtf

Most of the bands popular on the boards didn't throw away their university funding on promoting their bands/hiring people to write their songs. [spoiler]THIS IS A SUBJECTIVE ASSUMPTION. Truth: their parents pay for it all.[/spoiler]

And Flame Ghost... The appreciation part was... Ugh, forget it.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Lord of Spam]Nonetheless, just being skilled doesnt make you popular. If that were the case, Vox would be famous by now, wouldnt he :
Hey man, i'll have you know my jazz teacher tell me i'm a natural :mad: :(

no srsly wtf

Radio is media for the masses. Masses are nothing more than sheep to a slaughterhouse.

Waddle along, there. baaaah

[QUOTE=Flame ghost]eh...we could try to close this thread or go back to the main topic: appreciation.

Whats the point of staying on topic if the only people on these FORUMS that appreciate Linkin Park are Ghost and Feion?

Posted by Raptor

Quoting MetalVox~55:

Radio is media for the masses.

and who is the internet for then

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Raptor: and who is the internet for then

People who like to look up porn and go on eBay while they're supposed to be at work.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Klarth:

And Flame Ghost... The appreciation part was... Ugh, forget it.

ok then. I'll content myself of following the flow of this thread.

Posted by Ant

YOUR JUST ANOTHER STUPID ****ING SHEEP FLAME GHOST! ****ING SHEEP! BAAAAAH BAHHHHHHHHHHH! ****ING LOSER SHEEP HAHA! IDIOT!

Posted by The Judge

Linkin Park helps me get through tough times, because I feel they really understand me. They combine emotional lyrics that really get to me with the hard rock and metal that I enjoy listening to when I'm not morbidly depressed.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Ant: YOUR JUST ANOTHER STUPID ****ING SHEEP FLAME GHOST! ****ING SHEEP! BAAAAAH BAHHHHHHHHHHH! ****ING LOSER SHEEP HAHA! IDIOT!

The voices commanded you to say that, didn't they? They usually talk to me, especially when I'm feelin' Disturbed enough to take Godsmack and toke on a Papa Roach, while Raging Against the System of a Down and getting my Chevelle Staind by driving it through another Puddle of Mudd in the Korn fields.

Posted by mis0

Quoting MetalVox~55: Radio is media for the masses. Masses are nothing more than sheep to a slaughterhouse.

Waddle along, there. baaaah

This one basically does it for me. I could have assumed that a signifigant portion of this board thinks "unknown = good" but I know that's basically what it is. So, you think that Devin Townsend is just putting out music for the Hell of it? No, I bet he likes money. DT probably isn't playing just because they wanna do something different. I'd say money is probably up there as far as priorities go. In fact, it's difficult to even think of a band that probably doesn't want money. They may want to have an image of "different" or "better" and keep their underground following but they're probably not doing it at their expense. No, rather, you've been conditioned to think that listening to "underground" music isn't just for the masses, and maybe it's not, but you've not only bought into this idea, but you may have actually (gasp) bought into it by "supporting" the band. You're just a sheep of a different kind, nothing more.

BAAH BAAAAAH, biatch.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Raptor: The voices commanded you to say that, didn't they? They usually talk to me, especially when I'm feelin' Disturbed enough to take Godsmack and toke on a Papa Roach, while Raging Against the System of a Down and getting my Chevelle Staind by driving it through another Puddle of Mudd in the Korn fields.

Yes, exactly.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Ant: YOUR JUST ANOTHER STUPID ****ING SHEEP FLAME GHOST! ****ING SHEEP! BAAAAAH BAHHHHHHHHHHH! ****ING LOSER SHEEP HAHA! IDIOT!

What? Oh yes! Its suppose to be a joke! hahaha! Your funny ant ;)

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Raptor: The voices commanded you to say that, didn't they? They usually talk to me, especially when I'm feelin' Disturbed enough to take Godsmack and toke on a Papa Roach, while Raging Against the System of a Down and getting my Chevelle Staind by driving it through another Puddle of Mudd in the Korn fields.

It stopped being funny like 10 posts ago.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Flame ghost: What? Oh yes! Its suppose to be a joke! hahaha! Your funny ant ;)

shut up.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Misoxeny: This one basically does it for me. I could have assumed that a signifigant portion of this board thinks "unknown = good" but I know that's basically what it is. So, you think that Devin Townsend is just putting out music for the Hell of it? No, I bet he likes money. DT probably isn't playing just because they wanna do something different. I'd say money is probably up there as far as priorities go. In fact, it's difficult to even think of a band that probably doesn't want money. They may want to have an image of "different" or "better" and keep their underground following but they're probably not doing it at their expense. No, rather, you've been conditioned to think that listening to "underground" music isn't just for the masses, and maybe it's not, but you've not only bought into this idea, but you may have actually (gasp) bought into it by "supporting" the band. You're just a sheep of a different kind, nothing more.

BAAH BAAAAAH, biatch.

Wait, what? Is this directed toward me, or the board? If it is toward me, I hope you're sarcastic. If not, then wow, you're a moron, seeing as you should know better than label those of us who enjoy talent in our music as nothing but "underground followers."

Listening to "talented music" and following "underground music" are two entirely different things.

Posted by mis0

The way you've described it so far, no, there isn't a difference. And even if it was in wording, I think what I said still works. If you want to call it "talent", fine, you're still a consumer, are you not? And by consuming, you are buying into not only the product, but the ideaology behind it (where applicable). And how is this any different than listening to "popular" artists? As far as being a media whore, or "sheep", it isn't at all.

Sorry if I don't really care about the details, but, I am right about the aforementioned comment about radio being for "sheep". Look in the mirror first.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I love seeing the same sides of the same arguments repeated over and over. Especially when it's a stupid discussion. People will listen to whatever they want, no reason justifies this better than another. It's music, it's subjective, period.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Misoxeny: The way you've described it so far, no, there isn't a difference. And even if it was in wording, I think what I said still works. If you want to call it "talent", fine, you're still a consumer, are you not? And by consuming, you are buying into not only the product, but the ideaology behind it (where applicable). And how is this any different than listening to "popular" artists? As far as being a media whore, or "sheep", it isn't at all.

This has nothing to do with economics except for when you brought it in. This is about music, taste, and lack-there-of. Do I buy stuff? Yeah. Do i spend money? Of course. Do I listen to the radio? No. Do I listen to ****ty bands? **** no. Your mindset of "Oh, they both spend money, they're the same!" doesn't apply here. Bring out another argument that is more worthwhile to discuss here.

Quoting Misoxeny: Sorry if I don't really care about the details, but, I am right about the aforementioned comment about radio being for "sheep". Look in the mirror first.

I'd see myself if I did that. Read above comment before you reply. Ignoring details makes you even more ignorant and arrogant than I am. And i'll admit, i'm a cocky son of a *****.

Posted by Fate

If bands were really good, though, they'd get radio play. No, seriously. They'd get radio play. At least once.

Oh, and musicians must be bloody broke if all they want is to get their music out to the world. Just sayin'.
:)

Edit: Bands could be technically "good" by all the right reasons, but that doesn't mean they won't sound boring after a while. Probably why a lot of these "good" bands you guys speak of aren't even on popular RADAR.

Quoted post: Anywho, they're alright. They're no Devin Townsend, or Dream Theater, or Therion, etc. though

no one but you could have made that funny for some reason.

oh, and this has become one of the most retarded arguments. It's ****ing music, guys. Jesus Christ.

Quoted post: People will listen to whatever they want, no reason justifies this better than another. It's music, it's subjective, period.

And that's the smartest thing said yet.

Quoted post:

If bands were really good, though, they'd get radio play. No, seriously. They'd get radio play. At least once.

And that's the stupidest.

Posted by mis0

*Ahem*

You were the one who said "radio is for the masses... masses are like sheep in a slaughterhouse".

How isn't that an economic statement? It boils down to money, clearly. Money for the bands, money for the station, etc, sort of what I hear called "whoring" around here.

So, by comparison, you don't go the way of the "masses" and instead support bands that are "talented". Fair enough. But you still support them, and thusly, you are a "sheep" for buying into it. You think you're apart from the masses, too, from listening to "talented" music, which naturally could never be on the radio, or that's what you suggested, but in reality you're just a part of a different mass. See how that works? You really should 'cause it's incredibly simple.

The details omitted aren't important. You can call it talent, underground, indie, pop, whatever. It doesn't matter in what I'm trying to argue.

So, like, stop arguing because you're quite wrong about pretty much everything in regards to who is and isn't a "sheep".

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Fate: If bands were really good, though, they'd get radio play. No, seriously. They'd get radio play. At least once.

God, you have no idea how the music business works, do you?

Quoting Fate: Oh, and musicians must be bloody broke if all they want is to get their music out to the world. Just sayin'. :)

Money really isn't the most important thing when it comes to music. Making it and playing it is what matters most.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Misoxeny: In fact, it's difficult to even think of a band that probably doesn't want money.

How about all the bands who limit their releases to only a couple of hundred just so they can cover the cost of recording? At that, a lot of those bands will release all their material on torrent sites, forums, soulseek, whatever. It's not that difficult to imagine. Some bands just want noteriety and respect, not money. Plus, a lot of these bands make music that is intended for a specific audience, with specific tastes, much like their own. That's why the obscure stuff is obscure. It's not about "the underground is the best, and if you listen to anything else you suck", but unfortunately many people don't realize that.

But yeah, your example regarding greed is true for the most part, just had to throw that in.

Quoting Fate: If bands were really good, though, they'd get radio play. No, seriously. They'd get radio play. At least once.

OR! If they're good, someone will listen to them and enjoy it! Seriously, if your comment was serious, then you're an idiot.

Posted by Fate

Hey, there's more than three radio stations, last I checked.

And yeah, music is subjective. It's already been said. I play a **** clarinet and I'm not going to hold my opinion higher than somebody else's just because I can hear that Mariah Carey didn't hold a note as long as she could've or should've for aesthetic purposes.
:(

Posted by mis0

Quoting Shin-Ra: How about all the bands who limit their releases to only a couple of hundred just so they can cover the cost of recording? At that, a lot of those bands will release all their material on torrent sites, forums, soulseek, whatever. It's not that difficult to imagine. Some bands just want noteriety and respect, not money. Plus, a lot of these bands make music that is intended for a specific audience, with specific tastes, much like their own. That's why the obscure stuff is obscure (that or it sucks). It's not about "the underground is the best, and if you listen to anything else you suck", but unfortunately many people don't realize that.

But yeah, your example regarding greed is true for the most part, just had to throw that in.

Even then it doesn't change much. Bands want support, pretty much, and if you buy into their ideas, then you're no different than someone buying into pop. Period.

To the board in general: And before anyone says "DUH I NO", don't, because I'll just quote you where you did. That's basically the premisis of several of the arguements here.

Posted by Fate

Doesn't that imply that they are just broke musicians, though? Why put out an album in limited quanitities in the first place? Why not do a million live shows instead? Does that mean that if they had money they would put out more albums?

Man, music discussions suck.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Fate: Doesn't that imply that they are just broke musicians, though? Why put out an album in limited quanitities in the first place? Why not do a million live shows instead? Does that mean that if they had money they would put out more albums?

Music is more of an expression thing. There are some bands who ARE solely in it for the money. Linkin Park is a prime example of this. However, there are bands who don't care about money. These are the bands who put out limitied copies or host their music over the web. Music, to them, is more spiritual or meaningful than money ever could be.

Quoting Fate: Doesn't that imply that they are just broke musicians, though? Why put out an album in limited quanitities in the first place? Why not do a million live shows instead? Does that mean that if they had money they would put out more albums?

Man, music discussions suck.

It doesn't mean they're poor, no. It just means they have different reasons to play music than just get it out there and become famous.

Different motives for different people.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Misoxeny: Even then it doesn't change much. Bands want support, pretty much, and if you buy into their ideas, then you're no different than someone buying into pop. Period.

You said 'money' in that one post and I was providing a counter example. I don't see how the pop comes into play here, other than pure popularity. I was talking about seperating your art from business, and selling your art so that you can make more.

It's not as though I'm saying any form of music is above another, but it's my belief that to be truly happy making any form of art, you need to seperate yourself from as many negative influences as possible. The negative influences, such as money, would keep a person from fully expressing themselves and they would focus more on appeasing an audience, rather than playing their stuff. But that's me, that's what I would do, and I'm not passing judgement on anyone. It's all too subjective to do so.

Edit: Basically, if you make your music your source of income, you're going to do something you'll make money with. If you do it as a hobby or side project, you won't be making "other people's music" so that you can pay the next bill. Musicians who limit their releases aren't "above" anyone, but yeah, I think they're without as much pressure to make something other people will like and the musician not like themself.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shin-Ra: You said 'money' in that one post and I was providing a counter example. I don't see how the pop comes into play here. I was talking about seperating your art from business, and selling your art so that you can make more. It's not as though I'm saying any form of music is above another, but it's my belief that to be truly happy making any form of art, you need to seperate yourself from as many negative influences as possible. The negative influences, such as money, would keep a person from fully expressing themselves and they would focus more on appeasing an audience, rather than playing their stuff. But that's me, that's what I would do, and I'm not passing judgement on anyone. It's all too subjective to do so.

Quoted for ****ing truth.

I will also quote that.

Without quoting it.

For truth.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Shin-Ra: You said 'money' in that one post and I was providing a counter example. I don't see how the pop comes into play here, other than pure popularity. I was talking about seperating your art from business, and selling your art so that you can make more.

It's not as though I'm saying any form of music is above another, but it's my belief that to be truly happy making any form of art, you need to seperate yourself from as many negative influences as possible. The negative influences, such as money, would keep a person from fully expressing themselves and they would focus more on appeasing an audience, rather than playing their stuff. But that's me, that's what I would do, and I'm not passing judgement on anyone. It's all too subjective to do so.

Edit: Basically, if you make your music your source of income, you're going to do something you'll make money with. If you do it as a hobby or side project, you won't be making "other people's music" so that you can pay the next bill. Musicians who limit their releases aren't "above" anyone, but yeah, I think they're without as much pressure to make something other people will like and the musician not like themself.

On the other hand, how can you assume everyone is weak-willed enough to let such fickle things as money influence them? Just because they're a "commercial" artist doesn't mean they don't believe in what they're doing. I'd assume many of the artists who have made it bigtime have done so because a) many people "identify" with their music, and b) they honestly do have some motivation to do what they do.

What I find amusing is probably that although music is an artform, you guys take making a dollar off your work to mean that the artist isn't being true. Most of the other art communities don't give a **** about such, well, stupidity.

And finally, I wanted to throw this out there, because it's been the support for several "arguments" I've heard and it's stupid. "I'm a musician" doesn't mean anything nor does it really mean you can correctly critique music. I've seen several of you say things suck and that they suck because you're a musician and you know that they suck. REALLY GOOD ARGUMENT GUYS.

For example;

I am a photographer. I have all the equipment (Pentax SLR w/extras, fridge full of every sort of film you can imagine, darkroom experience, etc) and I have spent plenty of time over the years taking photos, slowly making progress and getting experience and some decent works. Does that mean that I can say Ansel Adams could've cropped that edge, stopped down further, or increased exposure? Absolutely. But does it mean if someone else says the edge is distracting, the backround is too blurry, or that it's too dark, that their arguement is debunked because they don't study photography? No. They can be just as right as me, the only difference is that perhaps I know the "language", so to say.

So, like, stop being so full of yourselves and bother to support your arguments. Sometimes it seems like you just hate it when someone else crosses the borders of what is "acceptable" on this board.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Misoxeny: On the other hand, how can you assume everyone is weak-willed enough to let such fickle things as money influence them?

I'm not saying that everyone is so weak-willed. I'm saying that if it's your profession, money will probably have a greater influence on your work, which could have an affect on the music itself. Whether negative or positive. I have respect for musicians who can go out, make interesting, unique music and make money at the same time. I'm not attacking anything here, not even bothering to call "other" music "commercial" or "pop" and yet you're still bringing that in.

Quoting Misoxeny:
So, like, stop being so full of yourselves and bother to support your arguments. Sometimes it seems like you just hate it when someone else crosses the borders of what is "acceptable" on this board.

What the **** is your problem? You're using this general "full of yourselves" crap. I'm trying to have a discussion over this, and you're bringing that bull**** in. I'm not talking about what is acceptable, I'm speaking from my own experiences and my own preferences on what I'd do with my music. I really hope that wasn't directed towards me.

Good example, and good points other than the ones quoted. I'm not trying to drag this into simple "pop" categories or anything, I'm speaking purely on a few bands who simply aren't trying to make money off of their work and are more interested in giving their listeners something new, and therefore culturing them.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

YOU GUYZ! STOP HIJAKING MY THREAD THIS THRED IS ABOUT LINKIN PARK

Posted by mis0

Quoting Shin-Ra: What the **** is your problem? You're using this general "full of yourselves" crap. I'm trying to have a discussion over this, and you're bringing that bull**** in. I'm not talking about what is acceptable, I'm speaking from my own experiences and my own preferences on what I'd do with my music. I really hope that wasn't directed towards me.

Good example, and good points other than the ones quoted. I'm not trying to drag this into simple "pop" categories or anything, I'm speaking purely on a few bands who simply aren't trying to make money off of their work and are more interested in giving their listeners something new, and therefore culturing them.

My problem is self evident, and it was directed at Vox more than anyone else, which also should have been pretty obvious to anyone following the thread.

Finally, I kinda pointed out that it doesn't really matter what you're talking about (insert genres here) and those were just examples. I'm not trying to drag anything anywhere, which, again, should be beyond incredibly obvious to those who read the thread first.

Posted by Fate

I think SOAD is creative. They make good money. Their music hasn't changed a bit. I wish more bands followed that.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Fate]Their music hasn't changed a bit.
Disagree. Few years ago, I absolutely loved SOAD - favourite band on the ****ing planet. However, this didn't stop me from disliking a good deal of their songs - "War", "Soil", "Pluck", (plus a few others which I forget the names of from their debut album), "Needles", "X", "Bubbles", "Chic 'n' Stu", "A.D.D.", "Pictures" and maybe one or two which I've left out. On the other hand, I used to really, really like "Toxicity", "Aerials", "Spiders" and "Ego Brain". I decided to dig out the CDs again and give 'em a try, and just... It's boring. :/ What's even worse is hearing people blaring their new albums - what the **** kind of song titles are "Violent Pornography"? Have you even read the lyrics to said song? "EVERYBODY ****S!" Come on.

Considering this: Three years ago, I listened to Evanescence and Rage Against The Machine. Go figure.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Misoxeny: My problem is self evident, and it was directed at Vox more than anyone else, which also should have been pretty obvious to anyone following the thread.

Yeah, but in "directing it toward me," you showed yourself off as far more of what you are describing than what I have said/am saying I am. I follow the music because of their talent and because I'm a guitarist myself, not because I say "I don't want to give my money to said band because they're mainstream! ^_^" There are some things on the radio that shouldn't be played, imo (Alice in Chains, old GNR, Jazz, Blues), but, because of what the Music Industry says, these bands are being played through the loop constantly. I believe radio is a disgrace to music, because it doesn't recognize bands that have put out and taken their dues. The music industry takes a band, makes it their voodoo puppet, and makes it dance in front of people so that they, being the record label the band is signed to, make more money. Bands like this are Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Korn, System of a Down, Good Charloteete whatever, Blink 182, Sum 41, etc. Where in there do you see Dream Theater, Opeth, Buckethead, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Evergrey, etc etc? You don't, because while their motives may be for money or for their fans or for their music, they put more of an emphasis on their music than they do for money. THAT is why I listen to them, and that is why I respect them more than I do bands you hear on the radio: My bands are in it for the music, yours are in it for the money. As a musician, which am I going to listen to?

oh, and god forbid, this is my opinion. :rolleyes:

Quoting Fate: I think SOAD is creative. They make good money. Their music hasn't changed a bit. I wish more bands followed that.

I figured you'd know better than to say such things on these forums, let alone this part of the board.

Quoting Klarth: Rage Against The Machine.

You can't knock this band. They still kick ***.

Posted by Klarth

Oh, and for the "commercialism" side of the argument: Machinae Supremacy's new album was leaked a few days ago, and here's what the band have to say about it:

[quote=Robert]As you all know, Machinae Supremacy is not opposed to "piracy". We support filesharing, and will continue to do so.

Having said that, there are however certain perks that we have grown to enjoy, like the wait for a release, and the initial response from the ones who receive the album. In my mind I see a Machinae Supremacy fan rip open an envelope and put the CD in the stereo/computer while starting to look through the booklet, and getting blown away as the first track begins to play.

If the album is leaked before the release, then part of the fun, the anticipation and the celebratory feelings upon release are lost. It's like the actual release sort of loses its meaning, which is for us kind of like a birthday, or christmas.

What I'm trying to say is simply that I enjoy the idea that the first people hearing it are fans from old, who received the entire package, with full quality sound, the artwork, (the cracked CD-case?), etc. The first impression is the complete impression.

But, I know I'm biased.

Now, if the leaked release is genuine, then the only thing I can say is I really hope you all love it very much. We do. :)

Posted by Fate

Quoting MetalVox~55: THAT is why I listen to them, and that is why I respect them more than I do bands you hear on the radio: My bands are in it for the music, yours are in it for the money. As a musician, which am I going to listen to?

So, uh, you only listen to them and respect them because of their motives and not because of talent? I see what Miso's trying to say, now. Sheep of a different kind.

Also, just because you're a musician doesn't mean you can't listen to stuff you don't find technically impressive. I said before that I can tell "good" from "bad," but if it's easy on the ears than I don't mind it. I don't discriminate, really.

Posted by Porcupine

Quoting Fate: So, uh, you only listen to them and respect them because of their motives and not because of talent? I see what Miso's trying to say, now. Sheep of a different kind.

More like 'cause they don't spew out just any old crap in attempt to get rich.

Don't get me wrong, I like simple stuff and am a musician.

Posted by Fate

Ohhhh, okay. I see both sides now.

Posted by Porcupine

btw, if by any chance you were being sincere, sorry for that rep comment. :D

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Fate: So, uh, you only listen to them and respect them because of their motives and not because of talent? I see what Miso's trying to say, now. Sheep of a different kind.

No, I do listen to them for their talent as well as their motives. What about that is so hard for you to understand?

Quoting Fate: I don't discriminate, really.

I do.

Posted by Fate

Their motives shouldn't have anything to do with it is what I'm getting at. :/

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Fate: Their motives shouldn't have anything to do with it is what I'm getting at. :/

Motives mean a lot more to me than they do for people like you. This is how I think and feel about music. Obviously I care more about the music I play and listen to than you do, so the way I think about music shouldn't really be that much of an issue in this. Music is my life, trying to be an attention whore here on the forum may be yours, and many people's lives here revolve around video games and school drama. We are what we make ourselves to be, and I want the music I listen to to reflect that.

Fair enough, or do you still not get it?

Posted by Fate

I said I get it already. No need to get personal. :mad:

But as a musician, can you see that other people have different tastes, regardless of what you think about technical namby-pamby stuff? I think that's what a lot of people have been restating over and over again.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Fate: But as a musician, can you see that other people have different tastes, regardless of what you think about technical namby-pamby stuff? I think that's what a lot of people have been restating over and over again.

Yes, I can see that other people wouldn't be interested in that. Those people listen to the radio and don't have as strong of feelings toward music as I do.

Posted by Fate

Yeah, I guess so. But... I think it's a little arrogant to say that your opinion should be held in higher regard. It just sounds kind of mean. :/

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Fate: Yeah, I guess so. But... I think it's a little arrogant to say that your opinion should be held in higher regard. It just sounds kind of mean. :/

Fate, fate, fate...When It comes to music, I am one of the most arrogant and elitist people you'll ever talk to :)

Posted by Fate

And I'm the most vain person ever. Let's be friends.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Klarth:

Disagree. Few years ago, I absolutely loved SOAD - favourite band on the ****ing planet. However, this didn't stop me from disliking a good deal of their songs - "War", "Soil", "Pluck", (plus a few others which I forget the names of from their debut album), "Needles", "X", "Bubbles", "Chic 'n' Stu", "A.D.D.", "Pictures" and maybe one or two which I've left out. On the other hand, I used to really, really like "Toxicity", "Aerials", "Spiders" and "Ego Brain". I decided to dig out the CDs again and give 'em a try, and just... It's boring. :/ What's even worse is hearing people blaring their new albums - what the **** kind of song titles are "Violent Pornography"? Have you even read the lyrics to said song? "EVERYBODY ****S!" Come on.
Considering this: Three years ago, I listened to Evanescence and Rage Against The Machine. Go figure.

I think that's kind of funny, because you know, System of a Down's system has only gone downhill since they started, Rage Against the Machine were always part of the very machine they were raging against, and Evanescence's popularity turned out to be totally evanescent.

Posted by mis0

Quoting MetalVox~55: No, I do listen to them for their talent as well as their motives. What about that is so hard for you to understand?

Hrm, so, because someone makes a living doing what they might love, they're not motivated? They're not talented?

Oh, plz.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Misoxeny: Hrm, so, because someone makes a living doing what they might love, they're not motivated? They're not talented?

Oh, plz.

Don't twist my words. You know **** well where i'm coming from.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I personally like whatever music I like, with zero influence from their popularity. Dispatch is one of my favorite bands, and I bet you haven't heard of them. Another one of my favorite bands (probably my absolute favorite) is Metallica, and you've probably heard a lot from them. Like I said, I decide on my own, having no base about popularity.

So just to disprove the theory, Vox and all the other unknown band-liking-guys, you guys should all name a mainstream band that you think is talented. I'm sure you can all think of at least one or two.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Raptor: I think that's kind of funny, because you know, System of a Down's system has only gone downhill since they started, Rage Against the Machine were always part of the very machine they were raging against, and Evanescence's popularity turned out to be totally evanescent.

Yup. Pretty much why I no longer like them. "Bands with a message" are a terrible thing.

Posted by mis0

Twist what words? Pssh. That's exactly what you've been saying for the entire duration of this thread.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Raptor: I think that's kind of funny, because you know, System of a Down's system has only gone downhill since they started, Rage Against the Machine were always part of the very machine they were raging against, and Evanescence's popularity turned out to be totally evanescent.

Puns truly are the lowest form of humour.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Fei-on: So just to disprove the theory, Vox and all the other unknown band-liking-guys, you guys should all name a mainstream band that you think is talented. I'm sure you can all think of at least one or two.

Rush, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd.

King Crimson's a maybe, but I'd be surprised if you hadn't heard of Rush, and very surprised if you hadn't heard of Genesis, Yes or Pink Floyd.

[quote]Twist what words? Pssh. That's exactly what you've been saying for the entire duration of this thread.What MetalVox is trying to say (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong Scotteh) is that if a band is just making mechanical, commercial music without passion, using the masses simply as a tool to make cash, he can't respect that; he respects an artist who plays what they want to play and expresses what they want to express.

Quoted post: Rush, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd.

And Queen.

Posted by Klarth

Rolling Stones.

Posted by sabre

Somehow I forgot The Beatles.

Hey Jude \m/

Posted by Fate

All classic bands. What about today's bands? I like them Foo Fighters.

I kinda like A Perfect Circle. They have some talent.

And don't forget about Iron Maiden. Still producing fantastic music after 20 years.

Posted by Fate

I still like Incubus. :)

Posted by Ant

And Cranky...what about Cranky? (Famous due to 2ch flashes!)

Never heard of 'em.

Posted by Klarth

Guns 'n' Roses. Aerosmith. Bon Jovi. Black Sabbath. Scorpions. The list goes on.

However, let's not forget that the argument isn't about talented mainstream musicians: It's Linkin Park-based. In conclusion, Linkin Park suck throbbing balls. Lock thread.

Quoted post: However, let's not forget that the argument isn't about talented mainstream musicians: It's Linkin Park-based. In conclusion, Linkin Park suck throbbing balls. Lock thread.

True, but according to Fei, it's to disprove a theory. So it has a purpose.

Posted by Klarth

Linkin Park's meritlessness isn't a theory, it's a given FACT. Big difference.

Oh, that's what his theory was about?

I kinda feel like I just wasted my time...

Posted by mis0

[size=9]EVERYONE IS WRONG.

DID THEY EVER TEACH YOU ABOUT "SUBJECTIVITY" IN JUDGING ART?

STUDY MORE, PLAY FEWER VIDEOGAMES; GET A CLUE.[/SIZE]

This thread has made me thoroughly sick now. You lot are thicker than I would've hoped.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

No, no, no... What I am trying to prove is... Well...

A lot of people are saying that Klarthage, Sabredishmachine, Vox and others. People claim that they only listen to non-mainstream music. People claim that they will stop liking a band's music if that band becomes famous. I was asking the "accused" to disprove that theory by listing off a few mainstream bands that they do like, despite the whole being mainstream thing.

[quote=Misoxeny]EVERYONE IS WRONG

If it's subjectivity you're pushing, you'd probably want to go with the "everyone is right" approach, because in subjectivity issues, there are no wrong answers, hence, everyone is not wrong.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I LEIK IT WHEN LINKIN PARK PLAYS RELALY HARD AND EVERYBDY MOSHES

Quoted post: EVERYONE IS WRONG.

DID THEY EVER TEACH YOU ABOUT "SUBJECTIVITY" IN JUDGING ART?

STUDY MORE, PLAY FEWER VIDEOGAMES; GET A CLUE.

Dude, no one even cares about that anymore.

Posted by The Judge

Jesus, are you people still going on about this?

Some people like Linkin Park, some people don't.

That's all there is to it. Respect eachother's opinions, because neither of you are right nor wrong.

TADA

Yeah, that's been said quite a few times...

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Sabredog: What MetalVox is trying to say (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong Scotteh) is that if a band is just making mechanical, commercial music without passion, using the masses simply as a tool to make cash, he can't respect that; he respects an artist who plays what they want to play and expresses what they want to express.

Thank you Bobbart. This is exactly what I was trying to say. :)

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Vampiro: Yeah, that's been said quite a few times...

And yet this thread has hit ten pages

Posted by mis0

It's only at five.

And, anyway, it's subjective, period. There isn't a right or wrong which is why saying Rush is good and Nirvana isn't is stupid. Try saying that you don't like it because of [insert artistic reasoning here] and this board could be taken more seriously.

In the mean time, well, you come off as a lot of 'tards who just wanna be different.

DON'T CONFORM FIGHT THE MAN!

Posted by Raptor

[quote]I kinda like A Perfect Circle. They have some talent.

Oh yes, they're quite wonderful. I'll always have a fondness for their debut album. Nothing wrong with Incubus, either. Last century's Incubus, at least. **Turns around and listens to Ivory Frequency**

[quote=Richaod]Puns truly are the lowest form of humour.

no your mom is

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Misoxeny: It's only at five.

Uh

Posted by mis0

*ahem*

[IMG]http://i1.tinypic.com/ndajco.jpg[/IMG]

I display 40 posts/page.

Posted by Pit

wow the judge just got PUNK'D

Posted by The Judge

I don't know how your window is set up, but on this site, my browser sets up a new page after 20 posts. Case in point

Posted by Pit

Misoxeny, you scared?

Well you shouldn't be. You're on scare tactics.

Posted by The Judge

That was so retarded it made me laugh.

Posted by Pit

You know, Judge, I've had up to here with you.

Posted by mis0

What Pit's trying to say is,

"I WANT TO HAVE YOUR CHILDREN."

"PLX."

Posted by Pit

Quoting Misoxeny: What Pit's trying to say is,

"I WANT TO HAVE YOUR CHILDREN."

"PLX."

Oh wow, you got the Daily Double:

In 1994, what actor said on national television "God you filthy ******s make me sick"?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

someone sum up all of the arguments from the past 9 pages so I don't have to re-read all that

[spoiler]and use as many adolescent l33t sp33k as possible[/spoiler]

Posted by Klarth

"linkin park sucks"
"IT'S SUBJECTIVE"
"alright, they're talentless"
"IT'S SUBJECTIVE"
"...no it isn't"

Quoted post: In the mean time, well, you come off as a lot of 'tards who just wanna be different.

DON'T CONFORM FIGHT THE MAN!

And there goes your argument.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Misoxeny: It's only at five.

And, anyway, it's subjective, period. There isn't a right or wrong which is why saying Rush is good and Nirvana isn't is stupid. Try saying that you don't like it because of [insert artistic reasoning here] and this board could be taken more seriously.
Oh come on. I hope you're not honestly saying you've never made a statement about music which doesn't use the words "In my opinion." It's kind of sort of entirely implied.

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz]someone sum up all of the arguments from the past 9 pages so I don't have to re-read all that

and use as many adolescent l33t sp33k as possibleWELL

first we were talkin bout linkin park bc theyre \m/HARDCORE\m/ and then khaos and feion played the nu-tral (lol) card and then for a load of pages fate and some other ppl were arguing and saying wether motives behind music (making good music or making loads of cash LIKE MY HEROES LINKIN PARK lol) matter to enjoy it and then omg it was cool and then that lasted nine pages and then khaos got mad :(

Wow, I really have to hit myself now.

Come on, Sabre, you could have use more internet slang in there somewhere.

Posted by sabre

yah i kno

Posted by mis0

Quoting Sabredog: Oh come on. I hope you're not honestly saying you've never made a statement about music which doesn't use the words "In my opinion." It's kind of sort of entirely implied.

Not when you try to make it a fact with jargon and crap. Or when you flaunt it as a fact. Or when it's the entire basis of your argument.

Obviously, yes, there is room for opinions anywhere, but arguing them as facts is pretty stupid and I've been trying to point that out.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Klarth: "linkin park sucks"
"IT'S SUBJECTIVE"
"alright, they're talentless"
"IT'S SUBJECTIVE"
"...no it isn't"

All opinions are subjective, which is why they're not facts.

Posted by Shade

WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL ALIVE?

The post that answers this question is the last one of the thread, k? K.

Because people are still posting in it?

Posted by Fate

I'm probably one of the few here that listens to music and doesn't point out great guitar bits and good beats. I just listen, and if I like it, I keep listening. **** all that "technically good" bull****.

Quoted post: I'm probably one of the few here that listens to music and doesn't point out great guitar bits and good beats.

Is it that you don't notice it, or just not care?

Just curious.

Posted by Fate

Both. In Metallica's "Unforgiven" song, the intro is long and noticeable. I listen to the intricacies of the beats of the intro because the song was built for it. I'm not going to subject every band that has an electric guitar in it to the same scrutiny. In Sean Paul's new song "Temperature," I have no idea what the hell he's saying and I don't think his voice is great, but the beat is nice and catchy. I swear the chorus is repeated like thirty times, but that song is awesome to me because I just like hearing it. It may not be technically impressive, but why would I give a **** if I like listening to it in the first place?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Unforgiven is an awesome song, and I'm glad you mentioned it.

That is all.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Fei-on: Unforgiven is an obtuse song, and I'm glad you mentioned it.

Figures you'd pick the one Metallica song I despise most of all. I can at least tolerate "Of Wolf and Man" because it hasn't been overplayed to miserable extremes, though it's come close.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Raptor: Figures you'd pick the one Metallica song I despise most of all. I can at least tolerate "Of Wolf and Man" because it hasn't been overplayed to miserable extremes, though it's come close.

Of Wolf and Man is a good song, and I like it a whole bunch, but Unforgiven was my favorite song when I was around 6 years old, so I didn't know about hearing songs on CDs or tapes. I just had the radio.

Of Wolf and man was never a single, that I know of, so if it has been overplayed, it's been you doing it.

Posted by Raptor

[quote=Fei-on]Of Wolf and man was never a single, that I know of, so if it has been overplayed, it's been you doing it.

No, more like my cousin and the rest of the Metallica-obsessing population.

Quoted post: "Of Wolf and Man"

Figures you'd pick that song.

Posted by The Judge

Like Fate, I listen to music I like. I don't care about the techinicalities of it, I just plain enjoy certain things and listen to them. I never listen to music for the purpose of emotions (hence why I don't mind Linkin Park or Slipknot), nor do I care about good guitar work or decent lyrics (hence why I enjoy putting on Korn or Disturbed every once in a while). I listen sheerly for enjoyment, and I don't personally care about technical jargan in music. What sounds good to me is what I like.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

hey raptor, just curious but what lame musical phase are you currently skipping around? Is it still the trance thing, or have you moved on to something else that's obscure (in this country).

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: hey raptor, just curious but what lame musical phase are you currently skipping around? Is it still the trance thing, or have you moved on to something else that's obscure (in this country).

Wait, are you only supposed to listen to popular music? Because if so, I'm in big trouble. Also, trance rocks.

Posted by Porcupine

Quoting Wicked Sushi: Wait, are you only supposed to listen to popular music?

Oh boy.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Wicked Sushi: trance rocks.

indeed

Posted by mis0

Quoting The Judge: What sounds good to me is what I like.

Exactly. This is why I have next to something of every genre (pf every sub genre: NO) of music. I haven't limited myself to popular music, nor have I limited myself to unheard of bands. I just don't go say that one is better than the other, because they're not.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

no, it's just that raptor flaunts just how uncommon his musical tastes are. He does it very vaguely, but you can tell he is.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: no, it's just that raptor flaunts just how uncommon his musical tastes are. He does it very vaguely, but you can tell he is.

I wasn't really asking for a response, because I haven't read all 14 pages. But I felt like posting how I like trance too and that it doesn't suck.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I like Trance in certain situations. It can get you amped, if you're feeling lethargic.

Quoted post: Exactly. This is why I have next to something of every genre (pf every sub genre: NO) of music. I haven't limited myself to popular music, nor have I limited myself to unheard of bands. I just don't go say that one is better than the other, because they're not.

You can still like the technical side of music and prefer more "underground" genres/bands while still having a broad taste in music. You make it sound like that isn't possible, or you can't focus on technique and still like popular music. I can enjoy intricate, complicated bands, bands that prefer minimalism and yet, still like popular/radio-friendly music.

Posted by mis0

Well, I certainly haven't observed what I described anywhere on this board. And yes, I did look.

Quoted post: Well, I certainly haven't observed what I described anywhere on this board. And yes, I did look.

I basically described myself. So there's one example!

Anyways, it may not be frequent on this board because not many people actually take part in music discussions, and even fewer listen to "unknown" bands. So you're bound to find very little examples among a small smaple of people.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Wicked Sushi: I wasn't really asking for a response, because I haven't read all 14 pages. But I felt like posting how I like trance too and that it doesn't suck.

notice that question mark at the end of your sentence?? <--- that

that means you're asking for a response.

and yes, the majority of trance sucks my ***

Quoted post: notice that question mark at the end of your sentence?? <--- that

that means you're asking for a response.

Sounded more like a rhetorical question to me.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: no, it's just that raptor flaunts just how uncommon his musical tastes are. He does it very vaguely, but you can tell he is.

That's because my musical tastes kick ***, and so do my smashing good looks.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I revoke my comments, for I cannot fight Raptor's logic. Sorry Rappy! I had a bad day and needed a whipping boy!

Posted by Klarth

Quoting The Judge: All opinions are subjective, which is why they're not facts.

I was... Giving a summary... Of the argument...

Ugh. Never mind.

Posted by Red

HOLY CRAP :O last time I was a member on this site I made tons of Linkin Park threads ( them being like my favorite band and all ) but after less then 2 pages of posting it would always get blocked cuz everyone hated them, I'm so shocked this thing is still alive, LINKIN PARK RULEZ

Quoted post: but after less then 2 pages of posting it would always get blocked cuz everyone hated them, I'm so shocked this thing is still alive, LINKIN PARK RULEZ

Did you even read the thread?

Posted by Red

I know I know, alot of people hate thjem but I'm so shocked nothin's gottern out of hand and on the first page theres amore then like 1 person who likes them, anyway that's all I'm saying.

The whole thread is based off LP hate and arguments :/

Posted by Lord of Spam

Theres nothing funnier than hearing two people arguing over which LP cd is the best. Nothing.

Posted by Klarth

their best song was im grounded!! its so deep, meteorangst was amagigng!!