Buying new DS

Posted by NightmareBassX

I've been wanting to replace my DS with a new one for awhile now. My DS's condition disappoints me. Its not extremely bad, I just don't like it. I used a stylus, that was fudged up, for about 1 month. It put alot of minor, but visible, scratches on my DS, that were clear under a light. Plus it got a couple marks on it somehow... But now Im looking forward to buying a new one. Ebgames trade-in value for a DS is $50. I have $20 right now so thats $70 saved up. A DS at Eb games cost $130. Between the time of right now and my birthday (1 month) I will probably receive $40 of allowance. Thats $110. I will most likely ask or get $50 dollars for my birthday, so thats $160. I'll either use that money (If I don't get store credit from EBgames) to buy a japanese White or Black DS off lik-sang, or if I do receive store credit, an Electric Blue DS at EBgames for $130. I'd have $30 leftover for, most likely, Protection Utilities/Accessories (DS protection Case, Screen protectors, etc.)

What do you guys think? I know it seems like a waste of money, But for some reason I keep feeling stressed that Im not going to do it. I'd really like to have a better conditioned DS, and having a better color besides platinum would be cool.

Do any of you know the release dates for the White and Black DS colors though?

Posted by ExoXile

I'd hit it.

Posted by casperbird

Hey nightmare. I see your problem. What you could do is ask to get a new nintendo DS for your birthday. If it's a too expencive b.day pressie, then you could try to sell it in the trading post for more money than $50 (cause they're kinda new). But if all that fails, then u can just keep using your nintendo DS (at least it still works) until you get enough money to buy a new one.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

If you're having that much trouble with it, definitely get the screen protectors and wraparound cases. The only problem I can see here is that, if you're on the Nintendo WFC, associating your cartridges with a different Nintendo DS will give you a different friend code (meaning you have to re-jig all your friends in the list) and a different account on NintendoWiFi.com, meaning you'll have to start all your scores from scratch.

Posted by Slushie

If you keep really wanting a new DS then get it. And if you can try and get a cool colour. White or Black DS off lik-sang sounds great, not nearly as many people would have that, and it would look good by itself. Same with an Electric Blue one. They look nice.

You could also try and sell the DS somewhere else besides EB, a used store, online. You could find the right place and get some good cash.

But definably get some good protective stuff, you'll wanna keep this DS in good condition. I have a silver intec case, had it for over a year, it has protected my DS very well, and my brother just got a DS and the same case, they have refined it and made it better.

Posted by NFSMW6

id buy a new one and then go to a rocky mountain and chuck it but thats just me

Posted by Moogs

Yeah I take it you lost all your rep because of that comment. Also, why would you chunk it the DS is one of the best, if not the best, Hand-Held gaming device of all time.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Yeah I take it you lost all your rep because of that comment.

From me :cool2:

Posted by GameMiestro

I'm thinking of trying to paint my battle weary DS with some solid black enamel. Is this a bad idea (about the type of paint, not the color scheme)?

Get some spraypaint that's slightly flexible from your model shop - the type they use on custom-build remote controlled cars. It won't flake, and it'll withstand your sweaty hands rubbing it off for quite a while.

Not only that, but grab hold of a tri-wing screwdriver off ebay to take the faceplate off. It'll be a lot easier than covering up the screen and whatever.

Also, use pins in the speaker holes to prevent them getting clogged with paint.

Posted by GameMiestro

Can I just do it the old way? With a brush?

Well, yeah, but you won't get an even coat, and if you don't open it up you'll get it all over the buttons.

Spray-painting's easier anyway. Not only that, but it minimizes the chances of the paint cracking.

Although you'll always get some flaking around the hinge.

Posted by GameMiestro

The glossy enamel paints dont seem to have a cracking problem. Anyways, if I screw up, it will make a nice conversation piece. :)

Did you know Wal-Mart now requires you (wait... how would you know?) to have an ID just to buy paint? Bugged me a bit, that did.

Yeah, that's a worldwide standard. Paint has solvent in it.

Posted by GameMiestro

I could get it about a month ago without needing one.

Then it's probably just a different cashier being lax/strict.

Posted by Pit

Why not wait for a remodel! Nintendo loves remodelling handhelds!

Pit makes a good point

The remodel will not have GBA functionality. I will bet my house on it.

k, I'll bet three bucks that says it does.

Excellent! I either just made three bucks! [spoiler]or I get to give away this old cardboard box I have here with the word 'house' on it...[/spoiler]

Badass, a box.

Posted by GameMiestro

Because it would be easier to spend $.99 on paint than it is to spend $120 on a new DS.

99 cents? You have crap paint.