As always...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

...I blame sony:

http://www.workingdesigns.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118916

Had Working Designs had a more well-rounded approach to publishing, and worked with Sega, Nintendo, and Microsoft in more recent years, they might still be around. This works to reinforce my view that sony ruins everything good that they get their dirty little hands on.

Posted by Fate

If Working Designs was good and sold enough, it could've survived. Whatever, fanboy.

Edit: Considering that the PS2 is the most popular system, WD would've done its best on the console. So much for that. Oh, well.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Meh

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting fate: If Working Designs was good and sold enough, it could've survived. Whatever, fanboy.

Edit: Considering that the PS2 is the most popular system, WD would've done its best on the console. So much for that. Oh, well.

Passing up publishing games like Sin & Punishment, the Grandia series, and many others that were picked up by other publishers or never localized at all is what did them in, you worthless, fake account.

Posted by Ant

I can't say I will miss them...but I guess it's a shame to see a game company go down like that. Oh well, I guess it's just part of the bizz

Posted by Fate

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Passing up publishing games like Sin & Punishment, the Grandia series, and many others that were picked up by other publishers or never localized at all is what did them in, you worthless, fake account.

Games that nobody cares about or wouldn't be sold well stateside? Whatever. They may have been good at one point, but a gradual failure is a failure nonetheless. I'm sure Nintendo would've made games very WD-ish but with Nintendo characters to play with. Xbox doesn't do RPGs very well, and is considerably less appealing to the Japo games.

Sony would've been the best platform. WD failed. Idiot.

And what's with the "fake account" comment? I don't get it.
:/

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Games that nobody cares about or wouldn't be sold well stateside?

Whoa, Grandia is a badass series.

Though we were never going to get Grandia III, so whatever.

Posted by Random

I owned Grandia II for the Dreamcast. A kick*** game if I might add.

Posted by Fate

No doubt it was a good game, but apparently enough people didn't think so. So OUT it goes.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate][COLOR=skyblue]If Working Designs was good and sold enough, it could've survived. Whatever, fanboy.

Edit: Considering that the PS2 is the most popular system, WD would've done its best on the console. So much for that. Oh, well.[/COLOR]

I call bulls[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it.

Resident Evil 4 is selling like crap on PS2 right now. Even the Gamecube version is selling a third as much, despite being out for a friggin' year.

I'm not sure what let to them going out of business, but it sure as f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their games. Some of the biggest companies in the industry produce the same tired s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it year after year and make millions, whilst companies like Treasure and Clover make far less but MUCH better games and aren't even heard of outside of hardcore circles.

This is the state of the industry right now. I'd bet my next paycheck that if Nintendo was an up and coming company right now they would at the very least struggle, despite being the best goddamn games producers the world has ever seen (if you disagree with me you're disagreeing with pretty every games designer out there, including the ones you probably look up to).

Going on like this, the games industry WILL end up like the rancid cesspool that is Hollywood, which Sony certainly did not try to prevent. See any movies that didn't cost hundreds of millions to make or have the hottest celebrities as starring roles? Thought not.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fate: If Working Designs was good and sold enough, it could've survived. Whatever, fanboy

I know lots of top quality games that don't sell well. If they couldn't sell enough it's most probs to do with advertising.

Look at Eternal Darkness (high quality, zer adverts) VS Halo. (Low quality, adverts galore)...oh wait OMG WORKING DESGINZ SUXOORZ!!1!

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Speedfreak]See any movies that didn't cost hundreds of millions to make or have the hottest celebrities as starring roles? Thought not.
Napoleon Dynamite.:)

Look up the Sundance Film Festival before you say anything about movies being all about the big budget and big stars.
---
I would love to see all the designers from the company work under Microsoft. At the very least, it would **** off so many of you idiots who hate MS simply because they're MS. The majority of the people who love the former Working Designs would suddenly denounce it in its hypothetical current form.

Posted by Lord of Spam

A lot of you seem to be whining about hwo "zOMG TEH GOOD GAMES DONT GET PUBLISHED!". Guess what? Its called a free market. The games that sell the best are the ones that appeal to the biggest chunk of the population. Why do you think that the Madden games sell so much? Because a lot of people like football, and a lot fo those people have money to spare.

Video games are just like any other mass marketed media. Companies are going to make and distribute what will make them the most money. Dont like it? Fine, make your own games, or look around for indie stuff. Like SKitzo said, if you dont like Hollywood, there are plenty of foreign/indie films out that by people that you've probably never heard of. The video game industry is no different. As long as there are big publishers pushing out crap like "Generic Adventure Hero with Quirky Side Kick 47," there will be people sitting at home crafting masterworks that will see only limited production, most likely over the internet.

If the only things that you get exposed to are the ones that are mass produced, its your own **** fault for not looking hard enough.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Skitzo Control]Napoleon Dynamite.:)

Look up the Sundance Film Festival before you say anything about movies being all about the big budget and big stars.
---
I would love to see all the designers from the company work under Microsoft. At the very least, it would **** off so many of you idiots who hate MS simply because they're MS. The majority of the people who love the former Working Designs would suddenly denounce it in its hypothetical current form.

Napoleon Dynamite wasn't a hugely popular film, especially nowhere near the likes of what King Kong will gross.

Telling me to look up independant films completely misses my point, I'm not saying there are no decent films on the planet, I'm saying there aren't any in Hollywood.

The very fact is that continuing the way it is, the games industry will be harder and harder to get into. The huge companies will just be going for what's safe and sells well, polluting the industry with unoriginal crap. Meanwhile, smaller developers will struggle to stay alive with their original games because they won't have the money to market them, so they'll either go under the second they make a mistake or be forced to follow suit, and produce crap.
Originality and innovation will be absolutely extinguished. The film and music industry can survive this, because everyone watches movies and everyone listens to music; the kind of numbers that are labelled failures in the music industry are successes in the videogame industry.
But not everyone plays games. It takes a lot less failures to bring down a videogame company that it does a record label. Once consumers lose interest in games the exact same thing will happen to the industry as it did in 84. It will crash. I don't want this to happen.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Speedfreak]Napoleon Dynamite wasn't a hugely popular film, especially nowhere near the likes of what King Kong will gross.Yes, but Kong is expected to be a good movie. I'd go watch it tonight, but I'm a little too busy with downloading it illegally. What's wrong with a good movie makig a lot of money?