Spike TV VGA Awards

Posted by Drewboy64

So Samuel Jackson, the guy who pronounces Mario as Mare-Ee-Oh and calls Link a Dwarve is the host of this terrible show that has 50 cent: Bulletproof as nominee of game of the year? And is it just me, or does it seem like these people are non-gamers but will never play Nintendo, which appeals to everyone other than just core gamers? And I guess Shigeru Miyamoto, the Game Designer of all time, didn't win game designer of the year. Humanity is in trouble.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Drewboy64]50 cent: Bulletproof as nominee of game of the year?

Fiddy wishes.....

anyways I was disgusted with the VGA's. And for goodness sake, why the hell did missy Elliot get to perform?????

Posted by Fate

I'll watch it eventually, but I fear the results. What a joke.

Oh, and in the oh-so-reluctant defense of Spike, David Jaffe is made of god and win.

Posted by Crazy K

I got really mad when Aeon Flux got best Female Performance....

Also I got pretty mad when they did not have WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2006 in any sports catagory whatsoever. And **** no award for Metal Gear Solid 3??? (well it is outdated I guess)

Also what I noticed is that um Need For Speed most wanted was not on the list for this years best racing game.

But I am glad that God of War won a couple awards. :)

Posted by Ex-Linkman

That was one of the worst things I had ever seen; I couldn't even watch it all, I was so disgusted. Drewboy said it right, none of them have a friggin' clue about video games or what being a gamer is about. And the fact that 50 Cent: Bulletproof and the Hong Kong game got nominated for ANYTHING sickens me. The Spike TV Video Game Awards is quite simply put, another excuse to put these big shot stars in the limelight and give them awards. Nothing else could explain such categories for an award show on video games. I mean best female and male performance? Best original song? Best game based on a movie? What a freakin' joke!

I love how they mention Resident Evil 4 as a game of the year award nominee. Is it just me, or did that come out last year on the Gamecube? Oh that's right, you're not cool untill you're on the PS2. :cool:

And why a band as good as Def Leppard would agree to perform at such trash is beyond me. :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I didn't even bother to watch it. I knew it would be ****, so there was really no point.

I'll probably never watch them until they smarten up, get rid of all the unnecessary celebrities, have nominees that make sense and actually make it relevant to the industry.

Posted by Fate

No, Dave, you're right. MGS3 was totally left out. It made me sick.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I dont really blame them. They made a show that their target audiance can relate to. You are not that audiance, so it did not seem good to you. However, I'm sure there are plenty of morons out there who thought it was awesome.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Linkman:

I love how they mention Resident Evil 4 as a game of the year award nominee. Is it just me, or did that come out last year on the Gamecube? Oh that's right, you're not cool untill you're on the PS2. :cool:

Both RE4's came out this year.

Posted by nich

Quoting Vampiro: I didn't even bother to watch it. I knew it would be ****, so there was really no point.

I'll probably never watch them until they smarten up, get rid of all the unnecessary celebrities, have nominees that make sense and actually make it relevant to the industry.

same

Quoted post: I dont really blame them. They made a show that their target audiance can relate to. You are not that audiance, so it did not seem good to you. However, I'm sure there are plenty of morons out there who thought it was awesome.

We should be the audience they want to appeal to :(

Posted by Pit

Quoting Lord of Spam: I dont really blame them. They made a show that their target audiance can relate to. You are not that audiance, so it did not seem good to you. However, I'm sure there are plenty of morons out there who thought it was awesome.

but... we're gamers. How are we not the target audience?

Quoting Pit: but... we're gamers. How are we not the target audience?

We aren't the target audience because we don't buy into the celebrities and flashy crap.

Posted by Lord of Spam

The target audiance of the channel is not gamers. Its middle aged american males who watch NASCAR for crashes and think american football is a real mans game.

Teenageed gamers living with their parents are not the number one priority of Spike TV.

Posted by Drewboy64

spike tv should just drop the vga awards. It's like them doing a fashion show or Cartoon Network having good shows during the day; it doesn't fit.

Posted by <DEMONHUNTER>

Wow... Glad It came on while I was at work... so wha won game of the year?

Posted by Crazy K

I think these are the right awards (I may leave some out, but these are the ones I remember)

Best Female Perfomance in a game - Chalize Theron in Aeon Flux

Best Male Performance in a game - Jack Black in King Kong

Best Individual Sports game - Tony Hawks amarican Wasteland

Best Racing Game - Burnout Revenge (There was a couple a racing games missing.)

Best Song in a game - Some unknow rap artist

Best Action Game - God of War

Developer of the year - David Jaffe of God of War

Best game of the year - Resident Evil 4

I know I left out a lot of awards.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Video game award shows will never have gamers as their target demographic. They don't need to target us, because we already play video games. They target regular teens who don't play games in an attempt to draw them in.

Quoted post: Best game of the year - Resident Evil 4

That's the only winner I agree with.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Vampiro: That's the only winner I agree with.

ditto.

Posted by Crazy K

And God of War winning best Action game of the year.

Eh

Posted by Random

The VGA's are Sh*tty. It's pointless because they bring Rappers or Rockstars and sing and they just name their nominee's which probably aren't even picked by the fans. Blah..

Posted by Drewboy64

I don't think Samuel Jackson really is a gamer...

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Drewboy64: So Samuel Jackson, the guy who pronounces Mario as Mare-Ee-Oh and calls Link a Dwarve is the host of this terrible show that has 50 cent: Bulletproof as nominee of game of the year? And is it just me, or does it seem like these people are non-gamers but will never play Nintendo, which appeals to everyone other than just core gamers? And I guess Shigeru Miyamoto, the Game Designer of all time, didn't win game designer of the year. Humanity is in trouble.

EGM posted an article awhile back that said that all of the games up for awards have paid their way in as a means of advertising the game. Basically, they bought their awards.

Posted by Linko_16

Having a Video Game Award Show is just a dumb idea alltogether. Video Games have so many different elements than movies, and we all value those elements differently. You can't pick one and say "omg lik evry1 sez thiz is teh bst evr."

Posted by Drewboy64

Most of the awards they handed out were really dumb, and it wasn't really that big of a deal if you won one... Best Female Actor in a shooter on the X-box Award, zomg!

Posted by boomstick

Whenever Spike or MTV has any type of awards show, it should be ignored, I thought was like an unwritten law by now.

Posted by Drewboy64

Doesn't playboy rate videogames? What the hell?

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Drewboy64: Doesn't playboy rate videogames? What the hell?

Seems about everybody does nowadays.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Drewboy64]Doesn't playboy rate videogames? What the hell?I call bullshit on this one. Not that Playboy rates the games, but that you actually read the articles.;)

Posted by Nightscare

these are just a bunch of posers. the only true video game awards, with people who actually KNOW stuff about video games, is gphoria(probally spelled wrong). and drewboy, i think he called u gay. playboy sucks anyway. barely legal rules

Quoted post: and drewboy, i think he called u gay

By saying he looks at the women instead of the articles?

Quoted post: Having a Video Game Award Show is just a dumb idea alltogether. Video Games have so many different elements than movies, and we all value those elements differently. You can't pick one and say "omg lik evry1 sez thiz is teh bst evr."

I completely disagree.

Posted by Random

I think instead of having "Overall Game of the Year" There should only be console game of the years. Like instead of an overall, theres numerous. 1 for Xbox, 1 for GCN, 1 for PS2, 1 for 360, 1 for DS, 1 for PSP and what not. Because theres really no way to choose. You could have fans vote but not every fan votes. Gamefaqs.com is proof of that. There were more Xbox's sold than Gamecubes worldwide by quite a few leaps and bounds now, and yet when a poll comes out saying which have you purchased, it's more likely to see Gamecube higher than Xbox. Now it's undeniably proven that Gamefaqs tends to be rather biased. I remember watching Character battle between Master Chief and the Frog guy from Chrono Trigger. And with no time left Master Chief had more votes. And yet Master Chief lost and the votes all of a sudden changed? I mean wtf's up with that?

Eh i'm just complaining I guess. I think everyone should have their own personal opinion and keep it at that. GTA San Andreas wasn't game of the year material. And yet it won Game of the Year. I thought MGS 3 or Halo 2, or even Ninja Gaiden were way better games than San Andreas. But like I said personal opinion.

Quoted post: Because theres really no way to choose.

yes there is.

Posted by Random

How? Because if you did it by fans, every gaming fan would have to vote. Thats not possible. And having an organization or anything else choosing could be rather biased. Theres no real good way to do it.

Quoted post: And having an organization or anything else choosing could be rather biased.

No. You have an outline. You rate a game based on how well it meets that outline's criteria.

It's like rating a game. One gets a eight, another a seven, the other a nine. The one with a nine wins because it was able perform better than the other games.

It's not very hard...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Drewboy64: And I guess Shigeru Miyamoto, the Game Designer of all time, didn't win game designer of the year. Humanity is in trouble.

Not that I don't agree that Shiggy is the greatest and all, but what did he design that came out this year? The man can't win every year, especially when Zelda got pushed back to next year.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Not that I don't agree that Shiggy is the greatest and all, but what did he design that came out this year? The man can't win every year, especially when Zelda got pushed back to next year.

Yeah, that's true. Although I'm surprized they even had them on the show.