Mario Kart DS Hackers?

Posted by Linko_16

I ran into a guy online while playing Mario Kart who had, like, 800 wins and only a few losses. This wasn't unusual; I'm sure most of you have seen guys like that. What really took me by surprise, however, was that he started going ridiculously fast, faster than the game could possibly allow.

Any similar experiences?

Posted by Drewboy64

I haven't seen this before, no. Although I have heard of Mario Kart hackers who can make it possible to play levels like Waluigi Pinball online. Not really related, but oh well.

Posted by Dark Link

800 wins? VERY POSSIBLE! The game's only been out for a while now and there's already people with 10,000+ Races!

http://www.nintendowifi.com/gaminghub/MarioKartGamingHub.jsp
Shows the top 5 MKDS players who play the most...
5th palce is 10,000
and 1st place is 25,000!!!

But what do you mean faster than the game allows? You talking about them just warping? Like you see them as jumping all over the place? Cause that could be like speed hacking in MMO games, where the character is jumping / warping all over the screen.

Posted by Roger Smith

Yeah, I had that happen to me once. I was racing Full_Metal_Alchemist and I was winning in the last lap, he appeared out of nowhere in front of me and won. He also did it in 2 previous races with me and 2 other guys.

Posted by dylananisa

he probibly had a ghost item that has happend to mejust look for a shadow if it says second place and if you don't see him he does have the ghost of he is hacking

Posted by Bebop

I raced a guy and he was in a lower stat car than everytone but he still won by like 3/4 of the track. I think it was hacked because he was rarely doing the drift trick but still he left us in the dust.

Posted by Burrito

Wow. I just don't get why someone would want to hack the game. There really isn't anything to gain from it.

Posted by Drewboy64

i raced someone and it seemed like he jumped infront, but I don't think he did. Also, if they are just jupming from side to side, that's just lag.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Dark Link: 800 wins? VERY POSSIBLE! The game's only been out for a while now and there's already people with 10,000+ Races!

That's not what I meant. I've run into tons of people who had a truckload of victories who earned their wins normally.

The guy didn't seem to be warping or skipping, and it wasn't because he appeared there from use of Boo. He just went outrageously fast. If I remember correctly, he was using Dry Bones in Yoshi's Egg car. I don't recall who I was using.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to win that way. If you're going to race so far ahead that no one's ever competing with you, isn't that the same as racing by yourself?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Are you sure he just wasn't using a boost start and you missed it slightly?

Posted by Linko_16

No, we both got the boosts just fine at the beginning.

[quote=Drewboy64]Although I have heard of Mario Kart hackers who can make it possible to play levels like Waluigi Pinball online.

I forgot to mention that this sounds pretty awesome. I don't know why they didn't include all the tracks in the first place.

Well, tracks like Waluigi Pinball, Airship Fortress and Tick-Tock Clock have so many moving parts, it would be impossible to eliminate lag. They had to remove dragging items, remember.

Posted by Linko_16

Ah, that's true... still, a shame. I loved Waluigi Pinball.

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, my fav new levels are Pinball, Bowser's Castle, Ticktock clock and Airship fortress, and non of them are online. The thing with this hack is that if you can have one person with it, everyone else can play on the level.

Anyway, yeah, cheating is pointless. And is it true thjat you get a loss if you turn your DS off in the middle of a race?

Posted by Speedfreak

Typically, people who use cars that have very little drift, like the egg car, use a technique called "snaking". It's basically doing red sparks on straights.

Posted by Linko_16

That would explain it. :/

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, when you snake it looks like you're jumping around usually cause of abit of lag.

Quoting Drewboy64: is it true thjat you get a loss if you turn your DS off in the middle of a race?

You didn't used to but you do now. You come last overall.

Posted by GameMiestro

Snaking is far more difficult then it sounds. I've done it successfully many times, even online, and beat all the other competitors by a huge portion. The speeds I got to were faster than a mushroom- and you can do it non-stop, too.

The egg car and the dry bomber are probably the best snaking vehicles out there. But once again, unless you have a thumb of steel (it really hurts afterwards), don't expect to get far with this strategy.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting GameMiestro: Snaking is far more difficult then it sounds. I've done it successfully many times, even online, and beat all the other competitors by a huge portion. The speeds I got to were faster than a mushroom- and you can do it non-stop, too.

The egg car and the dry bomber are probably the best snaking vehicles out there. But once again, unless you have a thumb of steel (it really hurts afterwards), don't expect to get far with this strategy.

I think I do this snake ability alot, Not on purpose, Just because it helps alot. Im not exactly sure though. Is it when you hold it at the red sparks and you go just as fast as you would by releasing the button for the boost?

not quite. You drift to the right, quickly get red sparks, release, then drift left, get red sparks, release, and continue. Etc.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Wings: not quite. You drift to the right, quickly get red sparks, release, then drift left, get red sparks, release, and continue. Etc.

Oops... Oh man, the AI must be ****ED! Ah well, I usually only do it well on the Drifting missions. Other then that, Rarely. But drifting for a while is alot of fun, You got pretty quick.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, you'd know if you were snaking or not. Mainly due to the fact that you'd be slamming into the wall every couple of seconds.

Posted by Drewboy64

Snaking isn't that hard. You just have to time it right so you go in a fairly straight path while you are snaking. I use the cucumber, and I've gotten pretty used to snaking with it.

Quoted post: I use the cucumber, and I've gotten pretty used to snaking with it.

lol

gross

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Dark Link: 800 wins? VERY POSSIBLE! The game's only been out for a while now and there's already people with 10,000+ Races!

Can you say no life? Omg I have played lots of Wifi, but I'm not completely obssesed with it to get 10k wins. Omg who the hell has that much time on their hands? I onlyhave 100 wins and 50 losses. Not bad for my standards. As for the outrageous records I ahve seen, the highest was 230 wins and 15 losses.

Hackers in the game? Quite possable. I have seen people that Yoshi go insanely fast on a crappy kart. I don't think it very fair seeing as the only possable way to win is to get lucky and throw a ton of blue shells at them. I hate people that do that.

Posted by dylananisa

I always use peach but she has no good skills at drifting

Posted by Drewboy64

then use a different kart.

Posted by Shade

Quoting dylananisa: I always use peach but she has no good skills at drifting

You're kidding, right? Alongside Daisy, Peach is the best drifter in the game.

Posted by Drewboy64

Wait, do characters affect drift, too?

Posted by Shade

Well, it's mainly the kart, but I think that the character has a small influence.

Yeah, but not massively. You'll only notice it if you compare Toad to Bowser in the same kart, for example.

Posted by Shade

I noticed a Luigi to Toad difference.

Hey, has anybody noticed how people have those yellow stars above their name while playing online? How do you get those?

Posted by Dark Link

Only affects the characters do are weight only. Everything else is the same, except for a couple minor changes in accel / drift depending on the character.

Someone on GameFAQS listed the changes with Dry Bones to Bowser and Weight was the only difference he noticed.

Quoted post: Hey, has anybody noticed how people have those yellow stars above their name while playing online? How do you get those?

Getting triple stars on missions I think.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Shade: Hey, has anybody noticed how people have those yellow stars above their name while playing online? How do you get those?

Get a 1 star rating or more on all cups.

Posted by Colonel

Ya i've run into a Mario Kart hacker just a few days after getting my nintendo DS, and he WAS travelling really, REALLY fast. How bazaar.

Posted by Arczu

Ugh... I got hit by one of those guys. I was trying out online on a friend's DS. What the hell, he flew past my in a few seconds while holding a green shell...

Snakers, guys. They suck.