Nintendo Revolution's ability to play past games

Posted by loony636

We've all heard about the Nintendo Revolution's fantastic ability to play games from the NES, SNES and N64. But will this service be free? I genuinely don't know. If there's been a press release explaining this, please, enlighten me about it. But if there isn't, do you think that Nintendo will make us pay for downloading the games? I personally think that would just be greedy of Nintendo, but, if they did make it a pay-per-download service, then I don't think we could do much about it.

Posted by Klarth

I'm pretty sure that it was said that the whole wifi thing would be free.

Posted by Burrito

Las time I checked, they were still unsure what to charge people for playing old games and were discussing it. I doubt they'll let us download it for free, but it will be very cheap.

Posted by muffla

im guessing 1 thru 5 dollars per game mayb more for pouplar titles like mario 64 but not too much

Posted by Lord of Spam

Assuming that they decide to charge for them, the N64 games will most likely end up costing more, as the increased complexity of the code would make it more difficult to convert to whatever format the Rev uses.

Posted by Speedfreak

Um. It's called software emulation. The game code doesn't have to be changed at all.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Yeah, but emulators for better systems are more complex to do.

Posted by Speedfreak

The N64 was emulated on Gamecube.

Posted by Dark Link

I don't know about the service pay or anything. All I've heard are rumors of Nintendo making you pay for the NES and SNES games only. N64 and others will be free.
Again that's just a rumor I've heard.
I really hope that everything is Completely free.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Wings: Yeah, but emulators for better systems are more complex to do.

Couldn't they just tear apart the code from some open-source emu like PJ64?

...Or, as Speedy said, just **** around with the emu they used for the Zelda collection disc?

Quoting Dark Link: All I've heard are rumors of Nintendo making you pay for the NES and SNES games only. N64 and others will be free.

If anything, it'll be the other way around.

And yeah, good point, Speedy mah boy.

Posted by loony636

Quoted post: Couldn't they just tear apart the code from some open-source emu like PJ64?

Blashphemy! We do not speak of such things here!

I could just imagine a conversation between the head programmer of Nintendo and the inventor of PJ64:

PJ64: Hello?
Nintendo: Hi, this is the head programmer of Nintendo, I...
PJ64: Oh no, I knew this was going to happen!
Nintendo: Oh no, you misunderstand me, we actually wanted to use your completely illegal emulator on our new system.
PJ64: Okay...Why?
Nintendo: Because we can't be bothered converting the old N64 code to new Revolution code.
PJ64: So your basically saying your just lazy bastards who just sit around taking credit for other peoples' inventions like mine?
Nintendo: Exactly.

Posted by Bebop

EDIT

Quoting loony636:
PJ64: Hello?
Nintendo: Hi, this is the head programmer of Nintendo, I...
PJ64: Oh no, I knew this was going to happen!
Nintendo: Oh no, you misunderstand me, we actually wanted to use your completely illegal emulator on our new system.
PJ64: Okay...Why?
Nintendo: Because we can't be bothered converting the old N64 code to new Revolution code.
PJ64: So your basically saying your just lazy bastards who just sit around taking credit for other peoples' inventions like mine?
Nintendo: Isn't your invention based off our invention?
PJ64: Touche. Will you still suck my balls?

Posted by Alpolio

If they do charge for NES & SNES downloads, I'll just continue to get my classic fix with my top-loading NES and SNES.

Posted by gamerSam

Quoting Speedfreak: The N64 was emulated on Gamecube.

UM no it wasn't. That game was for the gamecube with the extras and such not it wasn't really emulated.

You're not allowed to talk any more. Even offline.

Posted by ExoXile

What I know is that Nintendo's NES,SNES,and N64 games will be free.

I demand a source for this information!

Posted by ExoXile

http://www.nintendo.com/revolution

Should be in there somewhere.

Posted by Random

Um unless Nintendo is failing to tell their employee's than I highly doubt it. I've talked with a couple different Nintendo reps within the last 2 months, and they've talked about Nintendo planning to charge for downloads. However they were unsure whether or not it was going to be a monthly/yearly charge or if its going to be charge per game. Hopefully it's a small yearly charge if anything and not some dumb pay per game. If thats the case, then I won't be planning to purchase a Revolution. If it's just a yearly fee even if it's $60 I'd probably get the Revolution. Afterall I pay $50 a month for Xbox Live just to play online, so I'd easily pay $60 to have unlimited old titles.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Hopefully it's a small yearly charge if anything and not some dumb pay per game. If thats the case, then I won't be planning to purchase a Revolution.

O.M.F.G.
You are as stupid as always!

The REV is not a NES,SNES, NOR a N64!
You don't HAVE to pay (IF they are going to charge) for the games.

And you're conseidering not buying REV just for that?
HAH!

Posted by Random

Right so where exactly in that website says the games are free?

Yeah thats what I thought.

I've talked to Nintendo Representitives (actual Nintendo employee's) and they believe there is some sort of fee. I doubt it's free.

OMFG Your stupid as always... Durr (Wow I hope you feel retarded)

OMFG u mean the Revolution isn't an NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube? OMFG I thought it was all those in one and nothing more. I had no idea it'd ever release new titles like Super Smash Brothers Online or Mario 128, and I had no idea that it had better hardware than the Gamecube. Thank you almightly *******.

And I'd probably not purchase it if I had to pay for the old games. The old games are the #1 reason why i'm purchasing the dang thing. Not saying the new games will be bad, but I don't see much promise out of them yet.

Wow I think I became a little less intelligent by reading your post. I hope you have a wonderful day and try not to lose too many brain cells.

And this may not be the most legit source but it's a source:

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/06/07/revolution-downloads-not-for-free/

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting ExoXile: O.M.F.G.
You are as stupid as always!

The REV is not a NES,SNES, NOR a N64!
You don't HAVE to pay (IF they are going to charge) for the games.

And you're conseidering not buying REV just for that?
HAH!

Hi. I like inferring facts about an unrealesed console. Thanks.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=SomebodyRandom]Right so where exactly in that website says the games are free?

Yeah thats what I thought.

I've talked to Nintendo Representitives (actual Nintendo employee's) and they believe there is some sort of fee. I doubt it's free.

OMFG Your stupid as always... Durr (Wow I hope you feel retarded)

OMFG u mean the Revolution isn't an NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube? OMFG I thought it was all those in one and nothing more. I had no idea it'd ever release new titles like Super Smash Brothers Online or Mario 128, and I had no idea that it had better hardware than the Gamecube. Thank you almightly *******.

And I'd probably not purchase it if I had to pay for the old games. The old games are the #1 reason why i'm purchasing the dang thing. Not saying the new games will be bad, but I don't see much promise out of them yet.

Wow I think I became a little less intelligent by reading your post. I hope you have a wonderful day and try not to lose too many brain cells.

I still say you're stupid.

Metroid Prime 3- ALONE, is more reason than enough to buy REV.
The controller, Zelda, Mario, SSBO, and so on & so forth.
And the REV will be released with a low pricetag. (presumably)

The NES, SNES, N64 games will just be a mere bonus.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Xbox360, Halo3?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
HAH!

Posted by Random

Quoting ExoXile: I still say you're stupid.

Metroid Prime 3- ALONE, is more reason than enough to buy REV.
The controller, Zelda, Mario, SSBO, and so on & so forth.
And the REV will be released with a low pricetag. (presumably)

The NES, SNES, N64 games will just be a mere bonus.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Xbox360, Halo3?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
HAH!

Metroid Prime 3 alone? Doubt it.. You don't buy a console for a single game nimrod. SSBO better have great online play. Lets face it.. All the Super Smash Brothers games were easy to beat.

It should have a low pricetag. Then again it's obsolete hardware wise to that of the 360 or PS3.

And you forgot the Gamecube backwards compatibility :-P

ok so you've named
Zelda (Not yet announced for Rev)
SSBO
Mario 128
Metroid Prime 3 (Not yet announced for Rev)

4 games.. Still isn't enough for me to purchase a console. Besides the older Nintendo games were way better than that of the new. Wouldn't you agree? Graphics mean nothing. The SNES was a way better system than the N64 and Gamecube combined.

The Online Play is an improvement. But I still mock you because they are probably going to charge per game and the whole argument we've had was about it, and you totally tried to jump off track with that. You sly sly dog you.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Metroid Prime 3 alone? Doubt it.. You don't buy a console for a single game nimrod. SSBO better have great online play. Lets face it.. All the Super Smash Brothers games were easy to beat.

It should have a low pricetag. Then again it's obsolete hardware wise to that of the 360 or PS3.

And you forgot the Gamecube backwards compatibility :-P

ok so you've named
SSBO
Mario 128

4 games.. Still isn't enough for me to purchase a console. Besides the older Nintendo games were way better than that of the new. Wouldn't you agree? Graphics mean nothing. The SNES was a way better system than the N64 and Gamecube combined.

The Online Play is an improvement. But I still mock you because they are probably going to charge per game and the whole argument we've had was about it, and you totally tried to jump off track with that. You sly sly dog you.

Metroid Prime 3 was actually announced during E3.

Final Fantasy: CC<<

And i'm sure they'll come up with something new, since the controller's new...

Ok, fine.
We'll just have to wait and see.
If REV pwns the other consoles, you'll have to eat your hat... with salt!

Til' then, the peace. :christmas

Posted by Random

Sounds like a deal to me ^_^ No hard feelings right?

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: Hi. I like inferring facts about an unrealesed console. Thanks.

Where?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Metroid Prime 3 alone? Doubt it.. You don't buy a console for a single game nimrod.

Yes you do. It's what a killer app is. I bought all my consoles with the intention to play at least one game I was really into

[quote]SSBO better have great online play. Lets face it.. All the Super Smash Brothers games were easy to beat.

The solo main game was easy to beat. Mulitplayer is a different kettle of fish all together.

[quote]It should have a low pricetag. Then again it's obsolete hardware wise to that of the 360 or PS3.

Are you saying the REV is obselete to 36o and PS3 or its back catalouge of games? I presume the former because the latter doesnt make sense. Then again neither does the first. I suggest you first a>fin out what the REV is capable of (round about the same time everyone else does) before comparing it to the 360 or ps3 and b>learn what obselete means

[quote]ok so you've named
SSBO
Mario 128

Serioulsy I'm starting to think you're an idiot or something. Or just slow. Metroid Prime 3 was one of REV's first game announced. A Zelda game has also been announced.

[quote]4 games.. Still isn't enough for me to purchase a console. Besides the older Nintendo games were way better than that of the new. Wouldn't you agree? Graphics mean nothing. The SNES was a way better system than the N64 and Gamecube combined.

I don't know, I think Resident Evil 4 and Animal Crossing, aslo the new Zelda:Twilight Princess, pretty much urinates over the SNES. Then again that' my opinion. As that is yours. So don't use it as a fact

[quote]The Online Play is an improvement. But I still mock you because they are probably going to charge per game and the whole argument we've had was about it, and you totally tried to jump off track with that. You sly sly dog you.

Well it's going to be free. That's been said. Well, free for 1st party games at least. I presume you're talking about the back catalouge. It's fair to say you will have to pay for some games from the catalouge but Nintendo has kind of hinted that games would also be available at no cost say on special download events or when you buy a game.

Serioulsy HPK you don't have much information on the REV so you're talking out your arse. Granted theres not much info in the newsest Ninty console but I would have though you would at least know the confirmed games.

Hardware-wise, the Revolution is inferior. However, that's assuming that by 'hardware' you mean 'graphical power'. Because let's not forget, the controller is also hardware.

However, 'hardware-wise', the PS2 is inferior to GameCube and XBox. I don't think I need to elaborate any more.

SomebodyRandom - have you ever bought a console at launch? If you have, you'll have either bought it on the strength of a handful of games, or you've looked into the future and mapped out its potential to see if it'll be worth having a few years on. That's what we're doing. Yeah, sure, at launch there'll only be a few games worth getting, but further on in the life cycle, there's games that haven't even been announced, some that haven't even been thought of yet. It's the potential of the console that is important.

Posted by Random

LOL I love how you guys do this. I'm sure either of you would say the 360 isn't worth getting because of the few good games at launch. And yet you turn around to say that Metroid Prime 3 or a handful of games alone are enough to purchase? I have boughten numerous consoles at launch before. Mainly because I like to try everything out and decide for myself.

RE4 and Animal Crossing better than the SNES? Don't think so.. Perhaps you were too young to play the SNES and it's Godly games. The Gamecube doesn't come close to comparison of the SNES. .

And so I didn't hear about Metroid Prime 3. Big whoop it's not huge news. It's probably the same as the first two. And Super Smash Brothers multiplayer gets old rather fast. After all it is a fighting style game.

And yes i'm saying the Revolution is Obsolete hardwarewise in comparison to the 360 and the PS3. I'm not saying the Revolution will be horrible, it'll have a processor 2.5x faster than the Gamecubes, but when comparing to the others it's nothing.

I feel that i've answered all the questions.

Obsolescence is different to inferiority. Technically, all consoles are obsolete technology, because every single one of them is superseded by the PC.

No, I didn't get an Xbox 360 at launch. The reason is because the games are all - without exception, in my opinion - a load of rubbish, and of course the price is much too much.

If, at some point in the future, there are good games available, I might consider getting one. But it will only be after a price drop, probably after the PS3 launch.

The Revolution, however - no, don't misunderstand me, there aren't any particularly good games at launch, save Smash Bros. We don't even know any launch line-up at all. We know that MP3 is confirmed, but not as a launch title... etc. However - I will be getting one at launch.

Why? Well, I can see for certain that there will be great things in the future of the console. Such an innovative control method cannot be missed, at all. With the Xbox 360, the graphics were upped, but that was it. The games are cack. With the Revolution, while the graphics may not be great, the controls are better, more immersive. Making for better games. And that's what's important.

You say you like to try everything out and decide for yourself. I suggest you wait until you can try the Revolution. I can't see how, on that logic, you're badmouthing it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=SomebodyRandom]LOL I love how you guys do this. I'm sure either of you would say the 360 isn't worth getting because of the few good games at launch. And yet you turn around to say that Metroid Prime 3 or a handful of games alone are enough to purchase? I have boughten numerous consoles at launch before. Mainly because I like to try everything out and decide for myself.

RE4 and Animal Crossing better than the SNES? Don't think so.. Perhaps you were too young to play the SNES and it's Godly games. The Gamecube doesn't come close to comparison of the SNES. .

And so I didn't hear about Metroid Prime 3. Big whoop it's not huge news. It's probably the same as the first two. And Super Smash Brothers multiplayer gets old rather fast. After all it is a fighting style game.

And yes i'm saying the Revolution is Obsolete hardwarewise in comparison to the 360 and the PS3. I'm not saying the Revolution will be horrible, it'll have a processor 2.5x faster than the Gamecubes, but when comparing to the others it's nothing.

I feel that i've answered all the questions.

When you buy a Nintendo console, you are garunteed Nintendo games. Nintendo are widely regarded as THE greatest game developer on the planet, and they release so many games that it's entirely possible to have a large game library full of AAA titles with plenty of variety, even if you don't buy games from any other company.

Buy a Microsoft console and you're garunteed games from Microsoft Game Studios, a company who's only notable development studios are Bungie, a relatively small team that can realistically only work on one game at a time, Bizarre Creations, who only make driving sims and Rare, who are about twice as big as the other two but have yet to really prove themselves after their heavy staff losses. These studios combined simply do not compare in size, numeracy, experience or game quality to Nintendo's studio's. You're not garunteed as many quality titles thoughout an Xbox's lifetime as a Nintendo system's lifestyle, so people tend to be a lot more cautious about buying non-Nintendo systems.

But you already knew that.

Oh, and you know jack shit about system specs. 2.5x a Gekko would piss all over Xenon i single thread performance.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Speedfreak:
Oh, and you know jack shit about system specs. 2.5x a Gekko would piss all over Xenon i single thread performance.

WORD!

Posted by Random

Quoting Wings: Obsolescence is different to inferiority. Technically, all consoles are obsolete technology, because every single one of them is superseded by the PC.

No, I didn't get an Xbox 360 at launch. The reason is because the games are all - without exception, in my opinion - a load of rubbish, and of course the price is much too much.

If, at some point in the future, there are good games available, I might consider getting one. But it will only be after a price drop, probably after the PS3 launch.

The Revolution, however - no, don't misunderstand me, there aren't any particularly good games at launch, save Smash Bros. We don't even know any launch line-up at all. We know that MP3 is confirmed, but not as a launch title... etc. However - I will be getting one at launch.

Why? Well, I can see for certain that there will be great things in the future of the console. Such an innovative control method cannot be missed, at all. With the Xbox 360, the graphics were upped, but that was it. The games are cack. With the Revolution, while the graphics may not be great, the controls are better, more immersive. Making for better games. And that's what's important.

You say you like to try everything out and decide for yourself. I suggest you wait until you can try the Revolution. I can't see how, on that logic, you're badmouthing it.

Right so you didn't get a 360 because you think the games are rubbish. Hello Mr Opinion. I think the recent Metroid, Zelda, and Mario games have all sucked (they haven't lived up to their older versions). And Super Smash Brothers I could beat in a few minutes with at best the multiplayer being good up to 3 hours. So thats my opinion on why I probably won't buy a Revolution at launch.

And I like how everybody "ASSUMES."

"Hey we want Revolution games because 360 games absolutely horribly suck mad nutz."

Well... I don't see how anyone can really even say that. Do you own one? Have you played every single game that'll be out for the system? Don't think so..

Nintendo's innovation.. Hmm using simple emulator and charging us to do so. Y'know whats funny.. I think I used an Emulator to play NES/SNES games probably about 6 or 7 years ago. Nothing new, nothing innovative about it. It's more or less backwards compatibility which the 360 has.

Next we move onto the controller. Though their controller is "Different" it doesn't seem too innovative. Ok so you can move the remote around and it'll move around a weapon perhaps? Seems sorta kewl right? But it's not the same without having other movement. Say your playing star wars. I hear you may swing that DVD/Game Remote doohikki and it'd swing your lightsaber. Thats kewl but uh... What are you using to move around? I'd hope a joy stick or a D-pad which would make it rather rough. Then we move onto the infamous FPS control. You plug a joy stick into the remote and you go to town right? Well if you connected those two things it looks like you have a basic controller. Sorry friends I'd rather use a very comfortable Xbox 360 controller over a simple minded Remote. Now I could be wrong. The Revolution controller maybe the best thing since sliced bread. I don't fully know that. I too go under the influence of assumption.

And Nintendo's going online which Microsofts done long ago.

INNOVATION!!! -_-'

Posted by Ant

More innovative then 360 and the PS3. That's for **** sure. People should be more careful with their wording. They mean MORE innovative.

Posted by Random

ok so Nintendo has backwards compatibility, going online, changed their controller setupt. Ok thats what the others did too. I'm confused now about innovation. And here I thought Nintendo was innovative.

Posted by Speedfreak

Because you're a fucking imbecile. Nintendo changed their controller GREATLY, Sony and Microsoft merely refined their current designs.

Posted by Random

It's not that great. I went to this Arcade place that had arcade games with the same basic deal of the Revolution controller. And they developed those years ago. It's not that great trust me. I'm not saying it's going to be the same but it doesn't seem like anything special.

Oh and it looks gay

Posted by Speedfreak

There has never been any device with the functionality of the Revolution controller, ever. At most arcade peripherals have tracked 2 dimensions. The Revolution controller tracks 3 dimensions, one axis and has some advanced lightgun-style technology.

STOP TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

Posted by brownoystercult

Something doesn't need to be "innovative" to be good, right?

Posted by Speedfreak

No, but it helps.

Posted by Random

Right so I only used a control like device (which wasn't wireless though) and it had a similiar basic setup but it wasn't the same? I don't really get it. It was like a remote plugged it that when you swung it, it swung the sword in the game. And you had to use a analog stick to move around. And thats not the same? Sounds a lot a like to me. I mean sure you can use it like a normal controller too but i'm telling you it's been done.

And i'm not saying the Revolution will be horrible. Chances are it'll be awesome. Aslong as they don't charge much for the downloaded games it'll be awesome. If they do charge a lot, it'll suck horribly unless the new developed games are Godly. We'll have to wait and see. I don't really care for anyone who trashes the 360 when they don't have one, say how godly the Revolution is when it sure as hell isn't out yet. I'm trying to prove a point here. Y'see it's getting old how everyone says the Revolution will be god like when it's not even out yet. And especially when the majority of 360 games aren't even out, you guys pre judge it and say it's horrible. Tsk Tsk..

Posted by Speedfreak

Ugh, gain a scrap of intelligence, will you? The sword game is a 2D interface, it only tracks 2 dimensions. The revolution controller does more than that. Saying there's an existing controller that does something similar does't mean a thing. In case you haven't noticed, Xbox and PS2 both do something pretty d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn similar to Xbox 360 and PS3.

The Revolution controller isnt innovative because theres a single arcade game that vaguely represents half of it's capabilities. That's your arguement.

Posted by Random

Explain 2-D interface? It was a definite 3-D game and it wasn't only for one game. It was used for 5 or 6 games. It seems as though Nintendo took an idea from something that already existed and put it on a console which hasn't been done. Sure it's innovative but it's not as special as people like to think.

Posted by Speedfreak

The interface only tracks 2 dimensions, vertical and horizontal, so it can't really be used as a sword any more than a touch-screen can. The Revolution controller tracks the vertical, horizontal and Z (depth) dimensions, aswell as rotation. It's the only controller that can detect every single movement possible in a 3D space. So it's the worlds first 3D interface to be used as a standard control method for a games console.

Posted by Random

Yeah this is what it had. It wasn't some 2-D interfaced game. Trust me it was more than vertical and horizontal. It was kind of fun actually. I hope they make a star wars lightsaber game for the Revolution.

You're talking about Tsurugi, or Blade of Honor in the US. It actually had (partial) 3-dimensional control, but not with the wand/sword hilt controller, which was 2-dimensional with pseudo-3D imagery. To move forward into the screen you stepped onto a pedal, physically moving yourself forward into the booth and your character forward to stab.

It was highly immersive, but fundamentally flawed in that it was an on-rails system.

Now fast-forward to the Revolution. You DO have an analogue stick attached, now. You CAN move in three dimensions.

Explain how this is bad. You're just adding more functionality to the already available interface.

Posted by CS Ryan

In Nintendo Power, they recently announced that you will be able to download Sega Genesis games as well!

Old news, I'm afraid. TurboGrafx games are also available.

Posted by Klarth

I believe Nintendo recently said that they'd be making cheap SDKs available, and the games produced with them would be distributed through the virtual console... If this is true, then I'm in homebrew heaven.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Reading somebody random's posts has made me want to die. Nintendo has made more innovations in this one console than the entire microsoft corporation has made EVER.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Lord of Spam: Reading somebody random's posts has made me want to die. Nintendo has made more innovations in this one console than the entire microsoft corporation has made EVER.

Nintendo has made more innovations ever than the total number of the braincells distributed amongst the 360 fanbase.

Posted by supergameman

your all wrong the code has not been changed but its been updated so they dont need to change the code at all

...sorry? Where has anything been said about that?

Posted by supergameman

on the first page man u stupid is says that the nes,snes and n64 game downloads will cost because they have to change the code but there not changing the code there updating it

I can see you can't write, but can you read? Changing and updating the code are the same thing. Besides - we have no idea whether they'll cost anything. I fully expect the games to be a pay per download service, with the Stars system incorporated into that. Somewhere, also, I read that with a purchase of a Nintendo game you'd be able to get a downloadable game or two with it - which backs up my Stars theory.

Posted by supergameman

updating isnt the same as changing because they are keeping the old codes and adding new ones you dickhead

Let me know how you're supposed to update code without changing it. Do you know anything about programming? I call ban.

Posted by supergameman

i no everything about programing and updating the code means adding new codes to the old codes like the xbox 360 update disc it only adds the old xbox codes to the xbox 360 system.

Posted by Alastor

Last I heard about it, it was something like $5 for one download, and you get one free with every Wii game purchase. Something about one free per month, too. How accurate any of that is, I'm not sure. I don't recall where I read it. Probably here somewhere, which might make it even less accurate.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Alastor: Last I heard about it, it was something like $5 for one download, and you get one free with every Wii game purchase. Something about one free per month, too. How accurate any of that is, I'm not sure. I don't recall where I read it. Probably here somewhere, which might make it even less accurate.

$5 per game, that would be impressive.

Here's a challenge for you.

I dare you to go to any store that sells used video games. Look for a popular old school Nintendo game (N64, snes, nes, its all the same). If you find a game you know is popular and its under $5 then you win. This is ofcourse hard as hell.

Or you could just say home, pay cheaper then what stores sell, and be playing the game in less then a few minutes.

Now thats revolutionary.

Posted by Alastor

True, but like I said, I don't know how accurate that is. It would be great, though, since as you said finding an old game that cheap is hard. Hell, a used copy of Super Mario RPG was going for $70 at one of my local gaming stores a few months ago, so if they have any left, I'm sure it's even more expensive.

Quoting supergameman: i no everything about programing

I'm studying programming at degree level, know hardly anything compared to the people who actually make the damn games, and even I know enough to can tell you that it doesn't work like that. It hardly works like that, even. The code runs through another program structure to run on the new machine's architecture.

I see what you're saying. But they aren't updating the code of every single game. They're making a program that pretends it's a NES, but outputs to a Wii, so that to all intents and purposes the game thinks it's running on a NES, and the same for the rest. So it's a single, one-shot update (barring patches), not one for every single game. If it was an update to every single game, then the entire code would have to be re-written from the ground up, pretty much.

Also, you're like 8. If you really know everything about programming, I want you to come and set up a company with me.

So yeah. I can go into my local game shop and get Mega Drive, NES and SNES games for like £3 each. That includes stuff like the original SMB/Duck Hunt combo, and Mario All-Stars. The same shop sells Virtual Boys for like £120.

Posted by Drewboy64

just incase someone hasn't mentioned it:
http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707705/vids_1.html

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, the controller looks great for old-school games.

Posted by Alastor

Personally, I think it looks a little uncomfortable, but not that big a deal. I'm sure I'll get used to it once I play it for a week or two.

Posted by Litbut

Actually I read from somewhere you need "points" to download older games. 100 points for $1USD. The N64 games I read would cost about $10USD and the NES/SNES would be $5USD or so.