Lawsuit-happy morons lead the way again!

Posted by sabre

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

So here we have some people trying to convince us that the seventeenth by-ear transcription of Smoke On The Water that little Billy has been working on in his basement is intellectual property, and therefore the sites should be taken down. Oh, but that isn't all. In his infinite wisdom... [quote]Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can "throw in some jail time I think we'll be a little more effective".

On the subject of viewing lyrics from websites:[quote]David Israelite, president of the National Music Publishers' Association, added his concerns.

"Unauthorised use of lyrics...deprives the songwriter of the ability to make a living, and is no different than stealing," he said.No, I'm not even going to ask.

In conclusion, what the hell.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Isnt it fun when outdated distribution methods struggle to maintain relevancy?

Posted by sabre

Better be careful about singing a tune that's been stuck in your head all day. Might get sued!

Posted by Poco

That sucks for us musicians. Well, that is stating the obvious. sounds like a bunch of crybaby suits want mor emoney. Greed is ****.

Posted by Lord of Spam

[19:10] Dreamgate Sabre: See I'm thinking it would be funny to put a twenty-four minute long song on the radio just to spite co-host
[19:11] Penguin supreme: Yeah, but then he'd do teh sme thing to meD:
[19:11] Penguin supreme: Plus, he isnt a fna of dream theater
[19:11] Penguin supreme: he thinks its all jsut power cords and retardation
[19:11] Dreamgate Sabre: hahahahahahahahaha
[19:11] Dreamgate Sabre: power chords
[19:11] Penguin supreme: exactly
[19:11] Penguin supreme: i was like WTF, but he was like "Dude, Ive played guitar, have you?"
[19:11] Penguin supreme: So i had to be lik e":( no"
[19:12] Penguin supreme: But I could tell it wasnt :(
[19:12] Dreamgate Sabre: There are some power chords in root, admittedly
[19:13] Dreamgate Sabre: Actually, looking through it, there are quite a lot
[19:13] Dreamgate Sabre: But it's not a general trend
[19:14] Dreamgate Sabre: And the main riff has no power chords at all
[19:14] Dreamgate Sabre: just that "never could have just a paaaart of it" bit
[19:14] Penguin supreme: omg, are you looking at illegal sheet music?
[19:14] Dreamgate Sabre: yes :(